Who does Ron DeSantis remind you more of?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 14, 2024, 01:14:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Who does Ron DeSantis remind you more of?
Rick Perry

George W. Bush

Mitt Romney

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 86

Author Topic: Who does Ron DeSantis remind you more of?  (Read 2500 times)
EJ24
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 07, 2021, 05:43:56 PM »

Personally, I think he's the next Rick Perry. Very overhyped. A sure bet to win in theory, but a doofus in practice. He's gonna flop.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 06:08:57 PM »

The problem with Perry is he was discount Dubya at a time when the GOP wanted to move on from Dubya. (This hurt Jeb! even more four years later, when his brother was even less popular within the GOP and Jeb! was an even worse candidate.)

DeSantis might be discount Trump, but the GOP doesn’t seem ready to move on from him yet so maybe that could work in his favor. I still think it’s more likely than not he flops though.
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 06:10:58 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2021, 06:16:33 PM by Democratic Nominee 2020 »

Write-in: Scott Walker
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 06:17:08 PM »

This TBH
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 06:24:21 PM »

Rick Perry, he won't be Prez and we still don't know if he will beat Crust, he is tied in FL polls
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 06:32:04 PM »

Yeah, that was my answer when I saw the title.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 06:50:43 PM »

He's halfway between Bush circa 2000 and Trump, albeit a lot closer to the former than the latter.

I don't see the comparison to Rick Perry. Rick Perry was an actual moron who couldn't even remember his own headline policies. DeSantis at least so far seems to be reasonably quick on his feet if the 60 Minutes situation is anything to go by.

He's still got plenty of time to drop the ball between now and 2024, though. In that case he'd be more comparable to Walker than anyone else
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2021, 06:58:17 PM »

I don't see the comparison to Rick Perry. Rick Perry was an actual moron who couldn't even remember his own headline policies.

Watching that clip, I was reminded of how terrible the GOP field was that year, aside from Mitt and Huntsman.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2021, 07:00:21 PM »

All of the above, in different ways:

-Mitt Romney in the sense that I wouldn't be surprised if the primary consist of him versus several more red meat appealing anti-DeSantis candidates only for him to win in the end.

-Bush because of how incompetent he is at governing that Republicans don't care about as well as by convincing some that he is reasonable and moderate.

-And Rick Perry for being a complete idiot (this could also work for Bush).

I don't see the comparison to Rick Perry. Rick Perry was an actual moron who couldn't even remember his own headline policies.

Watching that clip, I was reminded of how terrible the GOP field was that year, aside from Mitt and Huntsman.

Was 2016 better?

Hopefully.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2021, 07:00:55 PM »

Medal506
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2021, 07:59:48 PM »

Ron DeSantis is basically a polished, more likable and charismatic version of Ted Cruz.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2021, 08:43:35 PM »

I mean, in a scenario in which Trump doesn't run, he still has a less than 50% chance of winning the nomination, sure, but that's true of everyone else too.  And yet, *someone* will have to win the nomination.  Are his chances any worse than those of anyone else (again, assuming Trump himself doesn't run again)?
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: 1.22

P P
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2021, 11:09:47 PM »

I know a lot of Dems or lean Dems don't like DeSantis, which is perfectly understandable. But honestly, who is the R nominee you want to avoid the most?
SAAuthCapitalist
Rookie
Singapore

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2021, 12:38:27 AM »
« Edited: April 08, 2021, 12:44:10 AM by SAAuthCapitalist »

None of the above.

He isn’t really like Perry, 2000 Bush, and certainly not Romney, who were establishmentarian and globalist. I don’t even see the Scott Walker comparisons though I get it way more than the others.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2021, 03:19:35 AM »

I know a lot of Dems or lean Dems don't like DeSantis, which is perfectly understandable. But honestly, who is the R nominee you want to avoid the most?

It's a tough choice because I don't even consider any of them so someone who is a worse President might actually be more electable. Mike Pence would be a god outcome from my view-despite being Trump's VP he's more of an establishment Republican, somewhat respectable and could be qualified to actually be President. While he is also a weak general election candidate that wouldn't motivate Trump's base or appeal to swing voters well (on the other hand, the downside risk for the GOP may be higher with another candidate-if a landslide defeat is possible it's hard to see that happening with Pence).
Wormless Gourd
cringenat
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2021, 07:03:50 AM »

If DeSantis has an impressive reelection showing then I'd say Bush '00.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2021, 09:43:55 AM »

As I said before everyone doesn't like DeSANTIS, he only beat Andrew Gillium by a narrow margin, let's wait until 2022 in order for him to beat a real candidate like CRIST. He isn't that good looking Either when you praise Rush Limbaugh. John Edwards lost in leiu of Gephardt and miles ahead of DeSantis

Rick Perry had no competetion in TX neither and he was in the debates and lost everyone of them

Rs act like Everyone should like DeSANTIS
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 3.91

P P
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2021, 10:24:50 AM »

He's a more likeable Nixon. Conservative but could appeal to moderates.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2021, 10:50:59 AM »

It's a tough choice because I don't even consider any of them so someone who is a worse President might actually be more electable. Mike Pence would be a god outcome from my view-despite being Trump's VP he's more of an establishment Republican, somewhat respectable and could be qualified to actually be President. While he is also a weak general election candidate that wouldn't motivate Trump's base or appeal to swing voters well (on the other hand, the downside risk for the GOP may be higher with another candidate-if a landslide defeat is possible it's hard to see that happening with Pence).

Pence is easily the safest choice, but he isn't the best choice for Republicans. Biden, Romney, and Kerry were all the safest choices. Only Biden won.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2021, 10:58:19 AM »

He's a more likeable Nixon. Conservative but could appeal to moderates.

He has to appeal to Afro Americans, they are 15 percent in FL, WI, PA and MI and he failed against Gillium

If he only has to appeal to moderates before the Insurrectionists, Trump would have won when he was close to 50, females are swing group and they are Ds
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2021, 02:16:34 PM »

He has Perry's superficiality, Dubya's Latino appeal, and Trump's pwn da libz persona.
AlterEgo

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2021, 08:56:39 AM »
« Edited: April 10, 2021, 07:42:20 PM by AlterEgo »

Rick Perry, he won't be Prez and we still don't know if he will beat Crust, he is tied in FL polls

Well, in fairness you keep touting Crist (and again, as someone who has somewhat of an actual understanding of this state, Crist is completely unelectable to a statewide office) but that poll where DeSantis is tied is actually against Nikki Fried. (Although a late Feb poll from Mason-Dixon had DeSantis leading Fried by 9. The one and only poll of DeSantis vs. Crist had DeSantis up 11.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2021, 01:01:04 PM »

Either Ronald Reagan or Chris Christie.  If he can stay the course, the upside is tremendous, but I increasingly think he is peaking too soon and becoming too much of a target.  If there's any significant dirt out there on him, someone will find it in the next 3 years. 
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2021, 05:18:58 PM »

A right-wing version of Mike Dukakis.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2021, 07:28:16 PM »

Dubya. He's a large-state Governor meant to simultaneously invoke the most recent Republican President (Papa Bush/Trump) while also having some record of appealing to the most recent Republican President's demographic weakness (rural Southerners/suburbanites). The extremely downplayed, but still on some level there, elite educational background and vague factional positioning are also similar.

I see the similarities to Perry but they don't seem as compelling. (Walker much less so -- but I will say that 2021 DeSantis hype clearly has some parallels with 2013 Christie hype, which also went nowhere.) DeSantis doesn't strike me as similar to Romney at all.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies