Idiot Move of the Week: DSCC dumps $1.6 Mil into AZ
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:20:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Idiot Move of the Week: DSCC dumps $1.6 Mil into AZ
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Idiot Move of the Week: DSCC dumps $1.6 Mil into AZ  (Read 4902 times)
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 15, 2006, 05:25:14 PM »

Hotline On Call reports that the DSCC has reserved $1.64 in TV time in Tuscon and Phoenix. This move means that less money can go to Pennsylvania, Ohio, Rhode Island, Missouri, Montana, Tennessee, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, Washington and Maryland.

DSCC has also spent over $2m in Nebraska.  Is Chuck Schumer intentionally blowing his money, or is this part of a cynical attempt to prop up the DCCC by helping the Maxine Moul in Nebraska and Harry Mitchell and Gabrielle Giffords in Arizona?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 10:20:29 PM »

You know, just as a point, I cannot for the life figure out why the DSCC is spending a good chunk of money on AZ, when the candidate there (Peterson) has spent nearly $3,000,000 already and hasn't gained a bit in the polls.

Whereas at this same point, we have a challenger in VA in Webb who has been very cash-poor, still is, and can barely fund a credible campaign, gets about the same percentage as Peterson is getting, if not more and is totally being ignored by the DSCC in terms of cash allotment.

This is especially strange, considering a rule of thumb in politics is, if you've spent a lot of money as a challenger and haven't moved up in the polls, a lot more money is likely not to get you anywhere.  Whereas, if you haven't spent anything as challenger, if some funds are actually spent, you could see a simple name recognition bounce.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 10:25:29 PM »

good.  We're on the verge of picking up AZ.

Uh...not really but I wouldn't exactly call it an idotic move either. We have to at least try to find a sixth seat somewhere.

It will also be interesting to see the post-gaffe polls in Virginia since it is getting quite a bit of attention although I think it is pretty unlikely that much about the race will change from it.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 10:34:22 PM »

I am fine with it, although I hope they don't spend any more money here. A good Democratic turnout will help Giffords and Mitchell in their congressional races.

I honestly think VA might be our best chance for a 6th seat in the Senate.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 11:01:52 PM »

Massive freedom fighters for wasting funds.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 11:22:40 PM »

And, while you're busy with a maybe in Arizona, you may very well lose a myriad of other states in close elections.  Wouldn't that suck?
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 11:53:39 PM »

And, while you're busy with a maybe in Arizona, you may very well lose a myriad of other states in close elections.  Wouldn't that suck?

Yay, we won Arizona, oop, we lost Washington, Minnesota, New Jersey and Maryland.

Tennesse followed by Virginia and then by a long distance Virginia are the Dems best "6th seat" opportunities.  If only we'd won that 2004 Kentucky Senate race we wouldn't have to be looking at the Southeast and the Southwest to pick up the Senate.

Schumer needs to cancel this ad buy and move the money over to Tennesse and Virginia.  This must be done NOW!
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 11:58:35 PM »

Yay, we won Arizona, oop, we lost Washington, Minnesota, New Jersey and Maryland.

Tennesse followed by Virginia and then by a long distance Virginia are the Dems best "6th seat" opportunities.  If only we'd won that 2004 Kentucky Senate race we wouldn't have to be looking at the Southeast and the Southwest to pick up the Senate.

Schumer needs to cancel this ad buy and move the money over to Tennesse and Virginia.  This must be done NOW!

Dems could eat babies live on television this year and still win Minnesota, New Jersey and Maryland (as long as Cardin wins the primary).
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 12:01:22 AM »

Uh, you really need to stop ingesting the substance that is causing your delusions.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 12:11:30 AM »

how much money did the john kerry campaign spend in arkansas, louisiana, and  virginia?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 12:53:14 AM »

I wonder if this has more to do with trying to have a trickle down effect on the House races there. That's what I hope at least. I agree if you want to go for a long shot 6th seat Virginia is the one.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 12:58:08 AM »

1,6 Mio. into AZ, with Pederson 20% behind Kyl ? That´s really a stupid move. Wouldn´t it be better spent in Virginia ? Webb is doing much better against Allen than Pederson against Kyl. Webb is within 10 points. They should forget AZ, NV and TN right now and focus on prevailing in MT, MN, MO, OH, NJ, CT and RI and maybe VA.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2006, 01:03:40 AM »

Dems could eat babies live on television this year and still win Minnesota, New Jersey and Maryland (as long as Cardin wins the primary).

MN and NJ?  Haha.  NJ is a tossup and MN is eversoslightly leaning towards the Dems.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 01:09:11 AM »

I just went to the DSCC website and discovered they've changed the eight races their covering. Previously, they showed MO, PA, RI, MT, OH, TN, AZ and VA as the top eight Senate races. Now they've replaced AZ, VA and TN with NJ, MN and WA. Notice anything difference? The switched three fringe pick-ups with three must hold Dem Senate seats. The balance of races they’re watching has shifted from 8-0 GOP to 5-3 GOP. Is the DSCC hedging its bets, or are they essentially conceding the Senate to the GOP?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2006, 01:32:04 AM »

Dem chances beyond the big Five:

VA>TN>>AZ>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NV

Next.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2006, 11:35:40 AM »

MN and NJ?  Haha.  NJ is a tossup and MN is eversoslightly leaning towards the Dems.

it's a bit more than slightly.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2006, 11:57:27 AM »

Interesting!  I think it is:

VA>AZ>>>NV>>>>>TN

Because of the racism of the native Tennesseean.  I also think you tend to slightly understimate the unpredictability that is increasing in NV.. though it will still of course probably vote for Ensign.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2006, 12:55:44 PM »
« Edited: August 16, 2006, 12:59:56 PM by MarkWarner08 »

Interesting!  I think it is:

VA>AZ>>>NV>>>>>TN

Because of the racism of the native Tennesseean.  I also think you tend to slightly understimate the unpredictability that is increasing in NV.. though it will still of course probably vote for Ensign.

Bob Corker is unpopular with the GOP base, he raised taxes, flip-flopped on abortion and he faces a charismatic Democrat who is socially conservative. Democrats candidate and will win the seat with national money. Pull the trigger, DSCC!

Did  I mention the reason Schumer is hyping Pederson is becuase he's a self-funder. Why did the DSCC buy ad time for a man who funding his own race?
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2006, 02:37:32 PM »

I can't figure out for the life of me why the DSCC is almost completely ignoring Jim Webb.  They keep writing off Virginia as a safe Republican state when we have a chance here.  If Webb could close the gap even slightly in funds, I guarantee his poll numbers would pull closer to Allen's.  I don't know much about Peterson, but in my opinion Virginia would be a much better place for this cash.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2006, 02:49:17 PM »

Webb and Ford need this money. Has the DSCC gone insane, or do they know something we don't?

Damn it.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2006, 02:51:17 PM »

"Gone insane" implies that they were ever sane in the first place Wink

This does seem like an... interesting... no... wait... a bold decision...
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2006, 04:17:14 PM »

There is no way AZ is safer for the Dems than NJ, MN, MD, or WA.  Doesn't do much good winning AZ if they lose two of those four.  Hell, the GOP has a better chance of gaining VT than the Dems do AZ. 
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2006, 04:25:28 PM »

Hell, the GOP has a better chance of gaining VT than the Dems do AZ. 

Um, No
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2006, 04:30:07 PM »

Hell, the GOP has a better chance of gaining VT than the Dems do AZ. 

I have to agree with Wiz.  No way.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2006, 04:31:49 PM »

Good for the Dems, I love when they waste their money. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies