Peruvian Elections and Politics: Boluarte era, political crisis continues
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:21:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Peruvian Elections and Politics: Boluarte era, political crisis continues
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48
Author Topic: Peruvian Elections and Politics: Boluarte era, political crisis continues  (Read 67530 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1050 on: December 09, 2022, 06:52:54 PM »

Betssy "Two-Speed" Chávez seems like a real character in her own right.

Can’t believe Peru’s first coup since 1992 is also by someone named Chino.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1051 on: December 09, 2022, 11:54:17 PM »

"Betssy Betzabet Chávez Chino" feels ripped from a telenovela adaptation of The Bird's Nest. If I gave that name to a fictional character who was from Peru a sensitivity reader would flag it immediately.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1052 on: December 10, 2022, 10:43:59 AM »

"Betssy Betzabet Chávez Chino" feels ripped from a telenovela adaptation of The Bird's Nest. If I gave that name to a fictional character who was from Peru a sensitivity reader would flag it immediately.

Especially if the character was a communist who attempted an incompetent coup.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1053 on: December 10, 2022, 11:14:35 AM »

This is also a real fall from grace (or rather a continuation since his premiership) for Aníbal Torres. From stopping Keiko’s coup attempt in 2021 to reportedly being the brains behind one the very next year.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1054 on: December 10, 2022, 04:46:23 PM »
« Edited: December 10, 2022, 05:30:06 PM by H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY »

Boluarte’s (first) cabinet was sworn in. Prime minister is Pedro Angulo Arana, former head of the national bar association and 2021 presidential candidate for PPK’s party Contigo. He resigned from the Attorney General’s office in 2011 due to a sexual harassment accusation and apparently has ties to corrupt judge César Hinostroza.

Rest of the cabinet seems relatively normal, largely vice ministers and other minor officials. Eight women and eight men, still missing transportation and labor.

Foreign Affairs: Ana Cecilia Gervasi (vice minister and former ambassador to the WTO)
Finance: Alex Contreras (vice minister)
Justice: José Tello Alfaro (election law professor and former legal advisor for Congress and the JNE)
Education: Patricia Correa (teacher and former head of the ministry’s Regional Coordination Office under Toledo and García)
Health: Rosa Gutiérrez Palomino (director general of operations)
Defense: Alberto Otárola (minister under Humala)
Interior: Cesar Cervantes (head of the national police force under Sagasti, fired by Castillo for authorizing raids on PL headquarters to investigate Cerrón)
Housing: Hania Pérez de Cuellar (no relation AFAIK) (former head of the national intellectual property agency)
Women: Grecia Rojas (vice minister and director of the unit on violence against women)
Environment: Alvina Ruiz (vice minister under Vizcarra and former head of an NGO)
Energy and Mining: Oscar Vera Gargurevich (civil servant within Petroperú)
Agriculture: Nelly Paredes del Castillo (head of the Forest Service)
Production: Sandra Belaúnde (director general for policy and regulation)
Culture: Jaír Pérez Bráñez (various roles within the ministry over 10 years)
Tourism: Luis Elguero González (trade advisor for the Japanese embassy)
Social Inclusion: Julio de Martini (vice minister for social assistance)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1055 on: December 10, 2022, 04:54:35 PM »

Well, I expect the right to win in the presidential runoff and parliament once the government falls apart, just like in Ecuador when the centrist faction took over.

Of course, I expect the response to be worse than in Ecuador and violent protests to flare up almost immediately once they start f•••ing s••• up

P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #1056 on: December 10, 2022, 05:06:05 PM »

This is becoming more common in Spanish speaking countries, Boluarte is not the first. I think people call CFK "Vicepresidente"

Not at all, she always insisted that people should call her Presidenta (or vicepresidenta) while in office. In fact, I can't even find a news article (or anything really) where she is refered to as "Vicepresidente". Maybe someone that hates her uses the term ironically or something lol
Oh ok I must have confused that with someone else then
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1057 on: December 10, 2022, 05:16:05 PM »

Well, I expect the right to win in the presidential runoff and parliament once the government falls apart, just like in Ecuador when the centrist faction took over.

Of course, I expect the response to be worse than in Ecuador and violent protests to flare up almost immediately once they start f•••ing s••• up

My money is on López Aliaga, although I think he’d have to abandon his new job as mayor of Lima relatively quickly.

This is becoming more common in Spanish speaking countries, Boluarte is not the first. I think people call CFK "Vicepresidente"

Not at all, she always insisted that people should call her Presidenta (or vicepresidenta) while in office. In fact, I can't even find a news article (or anything really) where she is refered to as "Vicepresidente". Maybe someone that hates her uses the term ironically or something lol
Oh ok I must have confused that with someone else then

Perhaps Isabel Perón?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1058 on: December 10, 2022, 07:52:01 PM »

Unlikely as it seems, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of the eventual right-wing nominee managing to screw up against Antauro. And christ, that would be frightening.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1059 on: December 10, 2022, 08:11:19 PM »

Unlike Castillo, antauro would be immediately removed by the parliament.

Aliaga should have this in the bag on paper.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1060 on: December 10, 2022, 10:22:18 PM »

Unlike Castillo, antauro would be immediately removed by the parliament.

Aliaga should have this in the bag on paper.

Not without the Unbeatable Titans of the etnocacerismo-FREPAP coalition.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1061 on: December 11, 2022, 03:34:33 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2022, 04:14:50 PM by H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY »

Antauro gave a speech last night in which he recognized Boluarte as the legitimate president, and his supporters responded by throwing bottles at him. https://twitter.com/AlexFebrero_/status/1601736334796025856?s=20&t=AYgnzTcOBRZ53HbXJXKqqQ

Pro-Castillo protests have begun in the rural south, with supporters taking over the airport in Andahuaylas (very symbolic as the site of Antauro’s failed uprising against the Toledo government, which landed him in prison for two decades).
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1062 on: December 11, 2022, 07:41:59 PM »

All the terrible people in Peruvian politics are for Boluarte over Castillo, go figure
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1063 on: December 11, 2022, 08:50:38 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2022, 11:07:43 PM by H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY »

All the terrible people in Peruvian politics are for Boluarte over Castillo, go figure

Antauro compared the impeachment to Bambi’s mom dying, so I’m not sure if we can say that he’s “for” Boluarte. Anyway, I don’t think anyone beyond Castillo’s deepest and most hardcore base, who either supports the coup or is desperately trying to rationalize it away (“he was drugged” etc) actually supports him anymore - the protesters we’re seeing currently and the maybe 15 or so allies he has left in Congress. The real question now is who supports fresh elections as soon as possible vs trying to see Boluarte and the current congress through til 2026.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1064 on: December 12, 2022, 12:32:45 AM »
« Edited: December 12, 2022, 09:55:29 AM by H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY »

Boluarte just gave a brief speech in which she announced that the next general election will be moved up to April 2024, two years ahead of schedule (as far as I can tell this is apparently the earliest date they could be realistically moved to). She also said that she’ll propose reforms to the political/electoral system, which she didn’t describe, and declare a state of emergency in “zones of high social conflict” (Interior Minister later confirmed that this is Ica, Arequipa, and Apurímac). Unsure whether this’ll calm the protests. Certainly not all of them, but perhaps some.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1065 on: December 12, 2022, 03:58:57 PM »

Regrettably, protests have apparently resulted in four deaths already. It's not looking good at all.

Among other developments:

-Castillo and Betssy Chavez formally charged with rebellion and conspiracy against the state by the Attorney General.

-Castillo and allies double down on the whole "shadowy conspiracy, President was drugged" angle.

-Aníbal Torres becomes a self proclaimed fugitive, goes AWOL in physical terms and keeps claiming via Twitter the removal of Castillo was illegal.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1066 on: December 12, 2022, 04:05:35 PM »

Regrettably, protests have apparently resulted in four deaths already. It's not looking good at all.

Among other developments:

-Castillo and Betssy Chavez formally charged with rebellion and conspiracy against the state by the Attorney General.

-Castillo and allies double down on the whole "shadowy conspiracy, President was drugged" angle.

-Aníbal Torres becomes a self proclaimed fugitive, goes AWOL in physical terms and keeps claiming via Twitter the removal of Castillo was illegal.

Yeah, and one of the deaths was a 15-year-old :/. Very sad stuff.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #1067 on: December 13, 2022, 11:13:28 AM »
« Edited: December 13, 2022, 11:19:35 AM by Laki »

I support the protests in Peru. It's clear that Castillo was anticipating a coup with his self-coup and that removing Castillo from office on its own was a coup itself (even if i don't like Castillo myself).

Congress had to be suspended yesterday after a fight broke out.

It's clear that congress never accepted Castillo as a president in the first place. How can you lead a country if you ignore you have a president.

I don't support a government that kills protestors. Maybe y'all do but i don't.

https://www.infobae.com/america/peru/2022/12/11/asociacion-nacional-de-periodistas-del-peru-registro-ataques-contra-21-periodistas-desde-que-se-iniciaron-las-protestas/

Press freedom also under pressure by physical agression towards journalists.

I see that the "Biden should take credit for ousting Castillo" framing really is starting to age well. These are the same ones that would have supported Pinochet helicopter tours or Anez her coup.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #1068 on: December 13, 2022, 11:29:15 AM »

I support the protests in Peru. It's clear that Castillo was anticipating a coup with his self-coup and that removing Castillo from office on its own was a coup itself (even if i don't like Castillo myself).
   Sad
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1069 on: December 13, 2022, 11:34:34 AM »

Presidents of Honduras and Mexico spoke out in defence of Castillo, refusing to recognize Dina Boluarte meanwhile.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1070 on: December 13, 2022, 11:35:14 AM »

Sad

Ousting Castillo from office wasn't legitimate and was a coup.

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1071 on: December 13, 2022, 11:44:18 AM »

Sad

How exactly was it a coup? Furthermore, was Castillo's attempt to close Congress and take control of the judiciary not a coup? or are some coups better than others.

Westerners who instinctively support autocrats just because they say leftist things reeks of noble savagery. It’s just a shade away from the obnoxious statements that come around ever so often that every protest against a leftist leader is financed by the CIA.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1072 on: December 13, 2022, 11:48:14 AM »

Sad

How exactly was it a coup? Furthermore, was Castillo's attempt to close Congress and take control of the judiciary not a coup? or are some coups better than others.

Westerners who instinctively support autocrats just because they say leftist things reeks of noble savagery. It’s just a shade away from the obnoxious statements that come around ever so often that every protest against a leftist leader is financed by the CIA.

The current coup government is illegitimate. It is not elected by the people, there is zero involvement of Peruvian people in this gvment.

Current protests are in favour of Castillo (or against this government in particular) and it's clear that the coup by the government wasn't supported by the people.

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1073 on: December 13, 2022, 11:50:11 AM »

“I support the protests in the United States. It's clear that Trump was anticipating a coup with his self-coup and that removing Trump from office on its own was a coup itself (even if i don't like Trump myself).”

And on the topic of the actual protests - what do they want? New elections? That’s already been announced. What’s left, freeing Castillo? Closing Congress and then…what, Boluarte or (god forbid) José Williams ruling by decree?
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1074 on: December 13, 2022, 11:50:21 AM »

my understanding is that Peru's government set-up for impeachment is massively flawed, basically you can impeach any president for any stupid reason (kind of like USA), but they used bullsh**t reasons to do impeachments 6 times so far in the last few years, and theyve had 6 presidents in 6 years

so Castillo is an outsider and got in and congress blocked EVERYTHING he did, he even tried to compromise with them but they didn't care, and then they impeached him with bullsh**t reasoning. so basically his position is "you guys have been trying to do a coup against me this entire time, that's more of a coup than the coup I'm doing right now"

Western media and US propaganda of course framing it as a self coup. That's what is happening.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies