Peruvian Elections and Politics: Boluarte era, political crisis continues
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 12:30:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Peruvian Elections and Politics: Boluarte era, political crisis continues
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 48
Author Topic: Peruvian Elections and Politics: Boluarte era, political crisis continues  (Read 68090 times)
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #975 on: April 10, 2022, 12:15:41 PM »

Anyway, the real reason the Andean left is so loopy is that their base is among the most uneducated in the Americas. Fully one in 5 Peruvians doesn't even speak Spanish, and these voters go overwhelmingly for the left -- in addition to those who speak Spanish, but are not native speakers. Conspiracy theories spread disproportionately among the uneducated, and even more so among uneducated speakers of languages with limited media presence.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #976 on: April 10, 2022, 02:27:20 PM »

The reason why the Andean Left is so loopy is that it is backed by traditional Indigenous clan heads and remnants of the Incan aristocracy. This is great for getting elected, as they have a reliable support base whose also very rich and very well connected to the lower rungs in rural areas, however their class position and views are incredibly backwards and not in sync to what the urban working class—or even peasantry—want or need.

There is a reason why Peru Libre was supportive of the Second Kim and North Korea in general, and that is because the latter wholly capitulated to the rural landowners and upper peasantry over the working class doing manual labor or urban intelligentsia. This also explains why Peru Libre have the infighting that they have.

Oddly enough, MAS has somehow balanced these interests much better in having a monopoly of sorts over these groups, but sections of the lower stratum of urban and rural working class they have no control over are represented by radicals in the main trade union rallying around the Quispe family and they are seemingly slipping support over middle class Indians. They, unlike PL, do very poorly in getting the non-Quechuan indigenous vote.

LoL

I like the idea that rich Peruvian landowners are big Kim Jong-il fans.
Literally one of the major supporters of MAS are rural landowners. PL was founded by an angsty intellectual and has the support of Incan nationalists and traditionalists in the “Israelite” religious movement and Ethnocaceristas.

You don’t know anything about these voters or their politics, don’t talk.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #977 on: April 10, 2022, 06:05:32 PM »

The reason why the Andean Left is so loopy is that it is backed by traditional Indigenous clan heads and remnants of the Incan aristocracy. This is great for getting elected, as they have a reliable support base whose also very rich and very well connected to the lower rungs in rural areas, however their class position and views are incredibly backwards and not in sync to what the urban working class—or even peasantry—want or need.

There is a reason why Peru Libre was supportive of the Second Kim and North Korea in general, and that is because the latter wholly capitulated to the rural landowners and upper peasantry over the working class doing manual labor or urban intelligentsia. This also explains why Peru Libre have the infighting that they have.

Oddly enough, MAS has somehow balanced these interests much better in having a monopoly of sorts over these groups, but sections of the lower stratum of urban and rural working class they have no control over are represented by radicals in the main trade union rallying around the Quispe family and they are seemingly slipping support over middle class Indians. They, unlike PL, do very poorly in getting the non-Quechuan indigenous vote.

LoL

Literally one of the major supporters of MAS are rural landowners. PL was founded by an angsty intellectual and has the support of Incan nationalists and traditionalists in the “Israelite” religious movement and Ethnocaceristas.

I don't deny that some influential rural chiefs support the MAS. I just deny that there are many rural landowner big Kim Jong-Il fans.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #978 on: April 10, 2022, 06:13:50 PM »

LoL

I don't deny that some influential rural chiefs support the MAS. I just deny that there are many rural landowner big Kim Jong-Il fans.
I hate to break it to you brah, but a significant amount of somewhat wealthier peasants with some ownership of their land relative to other Koreans were and are major backers of the Kim family, so much so that they backed the liquidation of the South Korean left in order to maintain power. Like, I linked it a while ago lol
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #979 on: April 10, 2022, 07:23:57 PM »

LoL

I hate to break it to you brah, but a significant amount of somewhat wealthier peasants with some ownership of their land relative to other Koreans were and are major backers of the Kim family, so much so that they backed the liquidation of the South Korean left in order to maintain power. Like, I linked it a while ago lol

lol
warandwar
United States

« Reply #980 on: April 11, 2022, 08:42:08 AM »

Anyway, the real reason the Andean left is so loopy is that their base is among the most uneducated in the Americas. Fully one in 5 Peruvians doesn't even speak Spanish, and these voters go overwhelmingly for the left -- in addition to those who speak Spanish, but are not native speakers. Conspiracy theories spread disproportionately among the uneducated, and even more so among uneducated speakers of languages with limited media presence.
I love how being on Atlas lets dipshyt teenagers be kinds of racist they can't be in the us. Congrats, you should get together with a 60 year old Peruvian banker in Charlotte to talk about how great apartheid is.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #981 on: April 11, 2022, 09:50:21 AM »

I love how being on Atlas lets dipshyt teenagers be kinds of racist they can't be in the us. Congrats, you should get together with a 60 year old Peruvian banker in Charlotte to talk about how great apartheid is.

It's not racist to note (objectively) that the Peruvian left has a very uneducated base. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with said base, but it does explain why that base is prone to supporting conspiracy theories.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #982 on: April 11, 2022, 09:58:21 AM »

LoL

never heard that before, do you got a source? The Kim family eradicated private land ownership in NK, so it sounds weird.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #983 on: April 11, 2022, 03:52:27 PM »

LoL

never heard that before, do you got a source? The Kim family eradicated private land ownership in NK, so it sounds weird.
Likewise curious for the source, but land reform 1) predates Kim dominance and 2) was mostly carried out on the local level by political networks of anti-colonial folks (whereas Kim's support base came from exiles).
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #984 on: April 11, 2022, 11:11:44 PM »

here it is. Given the totality of Japanese monopoly in displacing Korean elites, the “national bourgeoisie” talked about here were common traders and the small landowners whose land wasn’t appropriated during colonization. And the voluntary nature of giving up production centers to the state that were not Japanese colonists and Joseon noble holdouts is vital in understanding why North Korea is the way it is.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #985 on: April 12, 2022, 12:08:13 AM »
« Edited: April 12, 2022, 12:17:13 AM by North Carolina Conservative »

here it is. Given the totality of Japanese monopoly in displacing Korean elites, the “national bourgeoisie” talked about here were common traders and the small landowners whose land wasn’t appropriated during colonization. And the voluntary nature of giving up production centers to the state that were not Japanese colonists and Joseon noble holdouts is vital in understanding why North Korea is the way it is.

This isn't a remotely credible -- you're linking to Marxists.org from 1995. You'll need real sources for anyone to take you seriously.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #986 on: April 12, 2022, 12:29:17 AM »

This isn't a remotely credible -- you're linking to Marxists.org from 1995. You'll need real sources for anyone to take you seriously.
Bill Bland, the author, is just straight up repeating pro-north Korean historiography and state explanations for their ideological slant.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #987 on: April 12, 2022, 11:03:50 PM »

I think direct quotes from WPK position papers (assuming the quotes themselves are accurate) are actually a perfectly acceptable source for discussions about the WPK's ideology, NCC. I do not agree with the conclusions that PSOL draws about how in-touch with reality some of this stuff is, but marxists.org tends to be a pretty good source on what Marxists have to say about Marxism!
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #988 on: April 13, 2022, 07:20:47 AM »

I think direct quotes from WPK position papers (assuming the quotes themselves are accurate) are actually a perfectly acceptable source for discussions about the WPK's ideology, NCC. I do not agree with the conclusions that PSOL draws about how in-touch with reality some of this stuff is, but marxists.org tends to be a pretty good source on what Marxists have to say about Marxism!

Well, I'm not disagreeing with the idea that this is how North Korea portrays itself. What I consider absurd is

A. Taking North Korean propaganda remotely seriously

B. Asserting that North Korea is popular with rural Peruvians.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #989 on: May 11, 2022, 09:09:54 AM »

Anyway it seems like Pedro Castillo is now deeply unpopular given recent polling. Why has this happend ?

kaoras
Chile

« Reply #990 on: May 11, 2022, 10:07:07 AM »

Anyway it seems like Pedro Castillo is now deeply unpopular given recent polling. Why has this happend ?

I answered this on the Chile thread that is currently near the bottom of the 1st page of this forum. Check it out!
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #991 on: May 11, 2022, 10:35:49 AM »

[/tweet]

He was voted in with a small amount of votes in the first round, in a political climate that wouldn't be favorable to any incumbent (general dislike for politicians  + the effects of the (post)pandemic) , his cabinet has been full of inept and/or corrupt members, he has very weak support even within his own coalition (fur to both Cerrón and the more progressive left wing parties) and he bas burned several bridges (like with Aliaga just before the second round) and he's enacted some very unpopular policies (most notably the curfew due to the truckers protest), among many other factors
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #992 on: May 11, 2022, 12:44:28 PM »

Well, I'm not disagreeing with the idea that this is how North Korea portrays itself. What I consider absurd is

A. Taking North Korean propaganda remotely seriously

B. Asserting that North Korea is popular with rural Peruvians.
A. This North Korean propaganda makes them look bad, and strengthens the points made

B. PL has praised Kim Il-Sung in the campaign after all

Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #993 on: June 30, 2022, 07:53:00 PM »

Well, this happened:

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #994 on: July 01, 2022, 12:56:33 PM »

Well, this happened:

Yep. The party caucus has been reduced by over half through various schisms and defections, and there are new impeachment charges against Castillo stemming from various corruption scandals, including the clandestine apartment visits (and subsequent shady deals) as well as a corruption ring operating out of the Ministry of Transportation.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #995 on: July 01, 2022, 01:54:10 PM »

Castillo is not a smooth political operative and the insanity that he could last on his own was due to his own hubris.

Good news is that he isn’t getting impeached with the current parliament. So far no bloc in the country is able to wrestle enough support to actually govern alone, so the deadlock is going to continue going for at least a year or two.

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #996 on: July 01, 2022, 02:14:28 PM »

There’s also an impeachment charge against Dina Boluarte for having served as the president of the Apurimac Departmental Club while a minister and Vice President.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #997 on: July 26, 2022, 10:52:56 AM »
« Edited: July 26, 2022, 01:20:16 PM by H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY »

Elections today to elect new Congressional leadership - and very possibly the next president of the Republic, especially now that Bruno Pacheco has just been captured by the police while other scandals continue to pile up around Castillo (most notably short-lived Interior Minister Mariano González resigning after two weeks and accusing him of obstructing investigations into his inner circle, including Pacheco).

There’s a more left-wing list, led by Hector Acuña (Cambio Democrático, brother of Cesar), a more…centrist? list led by current Vice President of Congress Lady Camones (APP, who has promised to resign the presidency if Castillo and Boluarte are both removed from office) with the support of fujimorismo (Martha Moyano, fujimorista and sister of social activist killed by Shining Path María Elena Moyano, is #2), a far-right list led by Gladys Echaíz (Renovación Popular, explicitly angling to become president), and an unholy alliance led by Esdras Medina (RP rebel, censured by the party for not supporting the Echaíz list) with Waldemar Cerrón as the #2 and ex-PL members behind.

The dueling Echaíz and Camones lists have caused a rupture between RP and FP, with Camones’s supporters accusing Echaíz of dividing the opposition after refusing an offer to be on a united list and Echaíz’s supporters accusing FP of betraying the right by supporting a candidate who’s not willing to take the reigns of government for the right. It seems likely that Camones’s list will make it to the second round of voting (if no list reaches 66 votes), but it’s really unclear how the factional and intraparty lines will be drawn.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #998 on: July 26, 2022, 03:36:35 PM »
« Edited: July 26, 2022, 11:47:56 PM by H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY »

Lady Camones’s list (APP-FP-Podemos-SP) has won after a second round of voting vs Esdras Medina’s list (RP-PL-AP (left/pro-Castillo faction)-Bloque Magisterial). Broadly represents the center-right and the opposition in Congress, especially with the support of fujimorismo, but at least Camones has promised to resign following an impeachment, unlike Medina or Echaíz.
icc
Rookie
« Reply #999 on: July 26, 2022, 04:57:13 PM »

So Renovación Popular and Perú Libre supported the same list? Horseshoe theory in action if so.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 48  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies