Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 09:25:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 134 135 136 [137] 138 139 140 141 142 ... 236
Author Topic: Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread  (Read 246473 times)
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3400 on: November 03, 2021, 07:28:26 AM »

This is why we must stop electing these kids to congress. AOC, I hope you got your little insta live where you make Biden look bad. I hope you’re happy, I hope you’re happy.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3401 on: November 03, 2021, 07:32:56 AM »

This is why we must stop electing these kids to congress. AOC, I hope you got your little insta live where you make Biden look bad. I hope you’re happy, I hope you’re happy.

AOC said last yr that if Trump didn't pass the 2.2T dollar Stimulus, the D's were gonna get a Supermajority Senate, Bernie told Progressives to vote against infrastructure too

Coons still say that D's are gonna win MO, OH, NC and FL after these Election results

You wants know why Tim Ryan keeps coming up, Coons think that Mandel is too weak to win in OH, and Demings is gonna magically bear DESANTIS and how popular he is hes up by 10 over Crist

The D's aren't winning anything but the 304 blue wall if they keep the H it will be because Cali, NY, abd IL Redistricting, not expensing it to red wall states
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3402 on: November 03, 2021, 07:35:05 AM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #3403 on: November 03, 2021, 07:44:05 AM »

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/house-plans-skip-raising-debt-162505684.html

With Debt Ceiling and SSDI checks and Military pay at stake in 28 days House doesn't include Debt Ceiling again in spending package

Rs arent bluffing they're against raising taxes which Spending bill especially after Youngkin won by cutting taxes
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #3404 on: November 03, 2021, 07:55:41 AM »

What the hell are you talking about?

Biden would have looked better if they had passed BIF and then Manchin made his little announcement yesterday that he was killing BBB?

The desperation to punch left is getting ridiculous
compucomp

« Reply #3405 on: November 03, 2021, 07:55:47 AM »

Both must pass rather than only infrastructure. Democrats need to get this right, even if it takes a little longer.

Don't bother with this clown, Pericles. He's against BBB.

Progressives keep saying this like it's some kind of "gotcha I win" argument. Whether we're for or against BBB, it still doesn't excuse at all the fact that BIF is held hostage to it. I've said this repeatedly and will say it again. The progressive "negotiation tactic" is irrational and backed by the idea that progressives really are crazy enough to vote down a bill they support. This is no way to get stuff done. The BIF needs to pass ASAP.

Of course, Biden was not responsible for T-Mac's poor campaign (false flag tiki torch LOL) but as some other posters have pointed out, T-Mac had nothing going for him nationally and so was left to throw stuff against the wall and couldn't get anything to stick. If the BIF were passed, T-Mac would have had a good talking point in his favor and maybe he could have saved himself.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #3406 on: November 03, 2021, 08:16:35 AM »

VA Youngkin campaigned against raising taxes, I don't care how DS Spend it, FL is gone, DEMING'S and CRIST are trying to raise taxes in this Spending bill and FL has zero state income tax

Sununu is winning in NH because NH is a tax free state

Raising taxes in a Pandemic is detrimental, that's why CRIST is DOA in a zero tax state like FL

Newsom won because Cali have high Property taxes
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3407 on: November 03, 2021, 08:29:57 AM »

Inflation. Inflation. Inflation. Inflation. Inflation. Inflation. Inflation.

Gas prices, gas prices, gas prices, gas prices,

These are the only two reasons why Democrats lost. Period

Why is no one talking about this?

When I talk to ANYONE, Democrat or Republican, about the current Biden adminsitration all I ever hear is "Well gas is crazy high right now and I can't find what I need in stores"

Ya'll, I have met parents who could not find ANY Halloween costume for their kids. I never heard of that happening before

Most Americans haven't even heard of BBB or BIF
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3408 on: November 03, 2021, 08:41:12 AM »

When I talk to ANYONE, Democrat or Republican, about the current Biden adminsitration all I ever hear is "Well gas is crazy high right now and I can't find what I need in stores"

Ya'll, I have met parents who could not find ANY Halloween costume for their kids. I never heard of that happening before

I created a thread about it Bloomberg: U.S. Consumer Prices Outpace Forecast as Inflation Dogs Economy. Silence.

I also regularly post in Biden's border crisis - now with photos, which is also a real problem for Dems, even if minor one. Silence.

Most people here prefers to talk about rrrreal problems, fascists, traitors, Bannon, Jan 6 or make up stories about DeathsSantis.  Ron DeSantis drank with underage students when he was a teacher. Boom! 6 pages. Rrrreal issues, you know.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #3409 on: November 03, 2021, 08:42:23 AM »

I guess is the setbacks of yesterday's election will push the different Dem factions to compromise and get something out the door.
compucomp

« Reply #3410 on: November 03, 2021, 08:42:38 AM »

You are absolutely right. However the BBB/BIF is still related to the Dems woes in the following ways:

1. If the BIF were passed the Dems would have a good talking point to shift the conversation in a more positive direction for them. Everyone agrees that the BIF is sorely needed. Not passing it robbed the Dems of that; nobody cares about "we're about to pass X", they only care when it is passed.

2. It consumed all the oxygen in Washington, people saw that, and were upset that the politicians weren't focusing on the inflation problem they faced. This is quite similar to how the ACA was perceived in 2009-2010.

Basically what should have happened is that the BIF should have been passed in August and then an agreement struck on the BBB along Manchin's and Sinema's terms with much less drama and fanfare. Instead the progressives decided to dig in on the BBB and take the BIF hostage, and now we see the wreckage; T-Mac lost, Murphy got embarrassed, and the progressives will still have to surrender on the BBB.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3411 on: November 03, 2021, 08:54:44 AM »

You are absolutely right. However the BBB/BIF is still related to the Dems woes in the following ways:

1. If the BIF were passed the Dems would have a good talking point to shift the conversation in a more positive direction for them. Everyone agrees that the BIF is sorely needed. Not passing it robbed the Dems of that; nobody cares about "we're about to pass X", they only care when it is passed.

2. It consumed all the oxygen in Washington, people saw that, and were upset that the politicians weren't focusing on the inflation problem they faced. This is quite similar to how the ACA was perceived in 2009-2010.

Basically what should have happened is that the BIF should have been passed in August and then an agreement struck on the BBB along Manchin's and Sinema's terms with much less drama and fanfare. Instead the progressives decided to dig in on the BBB and take the BIF hostage, and now we see the wreckage; T-Mac lost, Murphy got embarrassed, and the progressives will still have to surrender on the BBB.

One of the few of Biden's promises that really resonated with the [esp with Indies/swing-] voters was unity/bipartisanship.

Biden got BIF served on a silver platter in August and... turn it down. Incredible. Moreover, in August Manchin basically gave his word, that he was fine with $1.5T reconciliation bill. Inf**kingcredible.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #3412 on: November 03, 2021, 09:00:09 AM »
« Edited: November 03, 2021, 09:05:58 AM by roxas11 »

part of me really wants to believe that this is true and that voters made the call based on everything you just brought up, but in the back of my mind I can't shake this feeling that this played a far bigger role in that election......

Even if Inflation and gas prices were low I'm still not sure terry mcauliffe would have won this race and honesty that is what scares me the most the more I think about this election. I hope I'm wrong on this, but if I'm right the Dems could be in the middle of a culture war and if that is the case than economics or popular bills alone may not be enough for them to win.

now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Dems should ignore inflation or gas prices, but if I was them, I would be trying to find a better way to respond to these critical race theory attacks

pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3413 on: November 03, 2021, 09:28:38 AM »

I'm not going to act like everyone in Virginia was voting on the basis of the Infrastructure Bills (just to head off the strawmen), but I think that if they passed before today we would have won.

Part of the reason Biden has such bad approvals now is that the administration hasn't had a legislative victory in 6 months. In that time, his approvals have had a slow erosion due to inflation, COVID, and shortages, as well as the large one-off event of Afghanistan. These things have been slowly sapping strength, without anything being done to restore it. These bills contain popular programs, which are easy to run on. Who doesn't like building bridges? If they had passed, that would have certainly led to at least some improvement in approvals.

The national environment isn't everything in a statewide race of course, but it still influences it significantly. If Biden's net approval were higher, the baseline for any given race is also higher for the Democrats. It's not like we would gain 10 points from this, but I think it would have given a boost sufficient to win races like we had tonight.

If the "progressive" fools in the House weren't holding the infrastructure bill hostage, we would have bagged Virginia.

The Virginia election alone is pretty unimportant, especially compared to the payoff from ensuring the reconciliation bill passes (eg reducing climate change). This does send a clear message that Democrats need to do something and then proudly run on it in 2022, or they will be smashed across the map.

The infrastructure bill should have been passed many months ago.

Instead, the so-called "progressives" are holding it hostage and that is zapping away all the momentum.

There is no reason to hold the infrastructure bill hostage. NONE.

Fixing potholes and bridges is an easy sell.

Reducing carbon emission, not so much.

Both must pass rather than only infrastructure. Democrats need to get this right, even if it takes a little longer.

By the time Democrats "get this right", they wouldn't have the House or the Senate anymore.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3414 on: November 03, 2021, 09:40:45 AM »

THIS 100%

There was no evidence at all whatsoever that holding the infrastructure bill hostage and digging in was working.

NONE. ZERO. ZIT.
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3415 on: November 03, 2021, 09:45:31 AM »

Any idea when a vote will be held
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3416 on: November 03, 2021, 09:49:57 AM »

Good.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3417 on: November 03, 2021, 09:51:43 AM »

Good.

Hasn't Manchin said he won't vote for it already ?

So is there actually two versions of this bill ? The Compromise framework and now the House bill ?
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3418 on: November 03, 2021, 09:59:55 AM »

Good.
Based
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3419 on: November 03, 2021, 10:38:21 AM »
« Edited: November 03, 2021, 10:58:44 AM by Vaccinated Russian Bear »

Good.

So is there actually two versions of this bill ? The Compromise framework and now the House bill ?

Well...

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3420 on: November 03, 2021, 10:40:05 AM »

Good.

Well...

At this point we come close to deserving a major loss in 2022. Then Schumer should the guts and kick this fossil fuel industry puppet out of the Caucus. And take Sinema with him.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3421 on: November 03, 2021, 10:40:14 AM »

After Manchin and Sinema cost the Democrats Virginia last night (maybe long-term if they are able to pass voting restrictions there), the least they can do it quickly pass BBB and limit the damage. We need a really strong and united party for the entire next year. No more infighting!
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3422 on: November 03, 2021, 10:49:17 AM »

For all the talk of whether these bills' passing would have changed last night's results and whether progressives or moderates are to blame misses the point that Americans could give a f*** less about policy when they vote. It is completely irrelevant and Democrats running on it wouldn't have changed didily-s***.

Americans won't care when it is finally passed either. They will be ungrateful for the few positive things that are even in this bill and more, especially those without families, will oppose it because they don't personally, tangibly get anything out of it.

All that mattered last night was the environment, and all that effects the environment are perceptions of the President. And the conflict over the bill may only have had an effect, if it did actually have one st all, just because it appeared that Biden couldn't control his party. Not because Americans were so eagerly clamoring for these bills. Stop overestimating our populace!
compucomp

« Reply #3423 on: November 03, 2021, 10:56:31 AM »

Americans won't care when it is finally passed either. They will be ungrateful for the few positive things that are even in this bill and more, especially those without families, will oppose it because they don't personally, tangibly get anything out of it.

You forgot the infrastructure bill. If it fulfills its promise, just about every person in the US will be positively affected. Even those who ride helicopters around still need helipads and airports to be well maintained. No, it wouldn't have solved inflation and supply chain issues nor ended the pandemic, but it would have given Democrats a solid talking point in their favor that would have won over some voters. Not passing it was a disaster and progressives are 100% to blame for it.

In a way this statement is indicative of why we're in this state with the BBB/BIF in the first place; in order to justify their own irrational negotiating tactics, progressives convinced themselves that the BIF was useless and that the BBB was the only thing that mattered, which is just completely wrong.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3424 on: November 03, 2021, 11:01:58 AM »

You forgot the infrastructure bill. If it fulfills its promise, just about every person in the US will be positively affected. Even those who ride helicopters around still need helipads and airports to be well maintained. No, it wouldn't have solved inflation and supply chain issues nor ended the pandemic, but it would have given Democrats a solid talking point in their favor that would have won over some voters. Not passing it was a disaster and progressives are 100% to blame for it.

In a way this statement is indicative of why we're in this state with the BBB/BIF in the first place; in order to justify their own irrational negotiating tactics, progressives convinced themselves that the BIF was useless and that the BBB was the only thing that mattered, which is just completely wrong.

When I said "the bill" I was referring to both in a way

And I still disagree. American simpletons can't care about something important until they see the tangible benefits. And that wouldn't have happened before the election.
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 134 135 136 [137] 138 139 140 141 142 ... 236  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies