Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 04:53:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 126 127 128 [129] 130 131 132 133 134 ... 236
Author Topic: Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread  (Read 247962 times)
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3200 on: October 30, 2021, 09:22:20 PM »

Hey, want to actually do something so Manchin/Sinema don't get to singlehandedly dictate the entire legislative agenda?

Here you go:  https://dm.dscc.org/a/contribute?source=DPW-TopLink
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3201 on: October 30, 2021, 09:36:06 PM »

Hey, want to actually do something so Manchin/Sinema don't get to singlehandedly dictate the entire legislative agenda?

The money doesn't matter as much as you think. Cal Cunningham was one of the best funded canidates ever

The problem is the senate rewards winning more states, not people. Democrats are packed into states like California, New York, Massachcusetts, etc

Biden won 25 states. Even if we assume Democrats will contiune to win in those 25 states that won't give us a working majority

Its too damn bad. 2020 was a rare moment where Democrats could have won seats in GA, AZ, NC and ME.

2021-2023 was really the last time Democrats could have won 52-53 senate searts.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3202 on: October 30, 2021, 09:38:55 PM »

Yeah give money to the people responsible for Cal Cunningham and Sara Gideon
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3203 on: October 30, 2021, 10:33:30 PM »

Its too damn bad. 2020 was a rare moment where Democrats could have won seats in GA, AZ, NC and ME.

2021-2023 was really the last time Democrats could have won 52-53 senate searts.

The party's failure isn't squarely on one election, in my opinion. It's a string of failures dating back to at least 2014, where losing one or two races in each election that really could have easily went the other way given varying levels of different circumstances has added up to the current predicament. If you give PA + MI to Democrats in 2016, FL + TX* in 2018, and NC in 2020, you're left with a much safer Democratic Senate majority that might actually hold until 2026. More so if you throw in Maine 2020, although one could argue that was never truly in play. Democrats actually had a good run in Senate elections for a while, but starting in 2014, it's been mostly downhill. The shifting coalitions have only made it worse.

* TX is a reach state even in 2018, but it was close enough to believe there was a chance of it going the other way with somewhat different actions/strategy.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3204 on: October 30, 2021, 10:45:55 PM »

Sometimes well-funded political candidates still lose.  I guess that's all the evidence we need that money doesn't matter in politics!
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #3205 on: October 31, 2021, 12:47:18 AM »

I'm getting so f-cking tired of hearing how this is the fault of the progressives. The progressives have bent over backwards to get a strong bill passed. We've given up free community college and substantially shortened the child tax credit. On a personal note, I would say giving up paid family leave is a bridge too far, not to mention total bullsh-t. All I hear is that Joe Manchin represents West Virginia. So f-cking what?! Since when does that mean West Virginia voters oppose paid family leave? Florida voters passed a $15 minimum. That didn't stop Marco Rubio or Rick Scott from voting against a national $15 minimum wage.

If there's one thing that's making me apoplectic, it's people with a D after their name that think big Pharma isn't making enough money. Progressives have top targets that include Scott Peters and Kurt Schrader. I'm very accepting of the big tent, but that is too far for me. Not allowing Medicare to negotiate drug prices because it might hurt the exorbitant profits of big Pharma? I have no use for people like that.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3206 on: October 31, 2021, 05:18:50 AM »

Yeah give money to the people responsible for Cal Cunningham and Sara Gideon

Don't forget the millions they spent to take down Joe Sestak in favor of loser McGinty.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3207 on: October 31, 2021, 07:19:37 AM »
« Edited: November 02, 2021, 05:12:04 PM by The Democratic Party Left Me »

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3208 on: October 31, 2021, 07:24:03 AM »

Literally posting a tweet about how one guy is blocking paid family leave but you still used Dems to imply the party is united on it
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3209 on: October 31, 2021, 07:25:57 AM »

Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3210 on: October 31, 2021, 07:31:06 AM »

Literally posting a tweet about how one guy is blocking paid family leave but you still used Dems to imply the party is united on it

Pelosi, a mother of five, echoed the need to assist parents and promised to keep fighting for it at a news conference last week. Privately, she called Manchin to push to revive the program in recent days, according to a person familiar with the matter, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe the speaker’s conversations. The speaker’s office declined to comment on the call.

So did Sinema, a former social worker, according to another person, who said Sinema voiced her support for paid leave and discussed with Manchin potential ways to pay for it. Manchin in the past seemed receptive to a proposal that could use payroll taxes to fund leave benefits, three people said. But the idea has presented political challenges because Biden has promised not to raise taxes on Americans making under $400,000.

Manching wants it European (I think) way. Biden (and Progressives?) are against it.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3211 on: October 31, 2021, 09:15:17 AM »

Manchin wants to do Paid Leave the European way, where workers pay into the system through a social security like program hence the work requirements. No country funds paid leave through straight general taxation like what Biden and Progressives are doing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parental_leave#Private_parental_leave

Kirsten Gillibrand's original plan would have been the same way. A social security like system where everyone pays into it.
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #3212 on: October 31, 2021, 09:26:57 AM »

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3213 on: October 31, 2021, 09:33:27 AM »

It's odd to me that a poll asked people if they know what's in it when the framework was literally just announced on Thursday and the bill hasn't even passed yet. So... why would people know what's in it when it's only been officially out for days?

Dems clearly have to do a messaging bonanza on this when it passes, but the fact that 32% actually think it will 'harm' them is a bit ridiculous, though I bet a lot of that is just Republicans who ticked that off regardless of what was in it.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3214 on: October 31, 2021, 09:37:42 AM »

The trick is how the D's gonna pass all of their spending and Debt Ceiling increase and deadline is Dec 3rs again if SSA checks are delayed it will be very painful for D's to to win the TRIFECTA in 2022

Nov is short due to Veterans day and Thanksgiving Recess they should of been working on the Reconciliation Bill already with the Debt Ceiling attached

The Senate needs to stop going on 3 sat weekends, the Debt Ceiling can't wait for Congress with Thanksgiving Recess coming up, the H can because Senate had the Filibuster.

We know the Debt Ceiling with the Spending bill is going thru the Senate not the H
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3215 on: October 31, 2021, 09:40:51 AM »
« Edited: October 31, 2021, 09:45:00 AM by Mr. MANDELA BARNES »

It's odd to me that a poll asked people if they know what's in it when the framework was literally just announced on Thursday and the bill hasn't even passed yet. So... why would people know what's in it when it's only been officially out for days?

Dems clearly have to do a messaging bonanza on this when it passes, but the fact that 32% actually think it will 'harm' them is a bit ridiculous, though I bet a lot of that is just Republicans who ticked that off regardless of what was in it.

Wbrooks you do realize the Rs aren't passing a Debt Ceiling increase due to my 60 votes unless it's attached to the spending bill right

It's not time to celebrate yet
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3216 on: October 31, 2021, 10:15:22 AM »

If he will support it then, give him his f**king work requirements.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3217 on: October 31, 2021, 10:16:27 AM »

This is why it was so key to get some things in there that are being left out.

The average American isn’t going to feel a lot of these things. That’s just the fact. Yes you govern to govern not to win elections - but when the opposition party no longer is doing what’s best for the country (before both wanted what’s best for the country but just had different ways of getting to that position) you need to also govern to win elections.

This is partly what makes a lot of Manchin & Sinemas positions so damn difficult to understand - They aren’t politically beneficial to them… so wtf?!

• Free community college or sharply discounted (maybe $200 per semester)
• Paid Family/Medical leave
• Child Care / PreK
• Medicaid/Medicare to cover dental/vision
• Substantial middle class tax cut (anyone making below 100k or $180k as couple)

They needed really at least 4 of those things in there - things that make tangible differences in peoples life’s - especially in their bank accounts

Maybe even some new ideas….
• School building fund - match local contributions to get shovels in ground within 6m)
• Rural Hospital building funds
roxas11
United States

« Reply #3218 on: October 31, 2021, 10:24:15 AM »
« Edited: October 31, 2021, 12:05:46 PM by roxas11 »

A pointless poll that tells us absolutely nothing

Of course the American people don't know about a bill that literally does not even exists yet. The framework was just announced on Friday and the bill has yet to be fully written let alone signed into law

I have no doubt that the numbers of people who know about these bills will go up the second joe's Biden actually signs something into law. Not only would such an event give the bills a ton of exposer it would also really help the Dems if they could actually get it done this year Because the sooner they can pass these bills the faster the benefits of them can reach the American people...

That was one of the biggest mistakes the Dems made when it came to Obamacare because by the time Obama had signed his bill into law, it would be a while before the American people actually started to appreciate things like the fact that they could no longer be denied for preexisting conditions

GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3219 on: October 31, 2021, 10:57:48 AM »

"I don't know f---ing anything about this bill but I'm pretty sure it's really bad."

Sounds like a joke, but this is literally a conversation I had two days ago on one of my groupchats that has a bunch of progressives.  They all decided, after Biden made the deal, that they hated it and it shouldn't pass at all!  Eventually after some arguing, one of them said, "what is actually in the bill?"  Like she literally didn't even know.  And after I listed ten things that were in the bill the entire GroupChat just went completely dead and the conversation was never resumed.

I don't think we should be trying too hard to market this bill to the American people yet since we may market it using things that are later taken out, which they'll see as a betrayal of trust.

As Pelosi once famously said, "we have to pass the bill so you can find out what's in it!"
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #3220 on: October 31, 2021, 11:02:42 AM »

"I don't know f---ing anything about this bill but I'm pretty sure it's really bad."

Sounds like a joke, but this is literally a conversation I had two days ago on one of my groupchats that has a bunch of progressives.  They all decided, after Biden made the deal, that they hated it and it shouldn't pass at all!  Eventually after some arguing, one of them said, "what is actually in the bill?"  Like she literally didn't even know.  And after I listed ten things that were in the bill the entire GroupChat just went completely dead and the conversation was never resumed.

Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3221 on: October 31, 2021, 11:25:51 AM »

The top worry among the voters right now is inflation. It is Manchin's/Sinema's worry, too.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #3222 on: October 31, 2021, 11:41:41 AM »

I don't think we should be trying too hard to market this bill to the American people yet since we may market it using things that are later taken out, which they'll see as a betrayal of trust.

As Pelosi once famously said, "we have to pass the bill so you can find out what's in it!"
They were all progressives huh?
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #3223 on: October 31, 2021, 11:54:19 AM »

You know it’s fake because it implies GMac has friends.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #3224 on: October 31, 2021, 12:33:06 PM »

You know it’s fake because it implies GMac has friends.
I'm going to assume everyone in the chat clapped
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 126 127 128 [129] 130 131 132 133 134 ... 236  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies