Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 11:42:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 119 120 121 [122] 123 124 125 126 127 ... 236
Author Topic: Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread  (Read 246534 times)
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3025 on: October 28, 2021, 02:59:53 PM »

Then let’s get it done.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #3026 on: October 28, 2021, 03:00:29 PM »

If Justice Dem self-promoters want to vote against what will undoubtedly be an incredibly popular and influential bill, I say go for it.  Voting NO on the main thing Dems are gonna run on in the 2022 midterms doesn't seem like an ace political move to me, but what do I know, my tweets don't get 168K likes.

I seem to recall throughout 2015-2020 "progressives" justifying their outlandish, unworkable, fantasy-land demands by saying "you have to demand more than you want so you meet in the middle to get what you actually want."  Or some variant of that thinking.  So in this negotiation, Biden started by demanding the most progressive spending plan imaginable, and then the furthest-right members of the caucus pared it down to something that's still pretty good.  But now apparently that "meet in the middle" strategy goes out the window, and if you don't agree to the original demand, we're not going to vote for it.  OK, so the entire thing was in bad faith?  Like these people are just children.  Folks, please stop electing idiot children to Congress -- they don't know how to govern, they don't know how to legislate, they don't know how to negotiate, and all they do is humiliate the party day after day after day.

What exactly did Joe Manchin adn Kyrsten Sinema give up? And why should we believe they aren’t going to just burn the whole thing down the second they get the BIF? And what is the strategy they were deploying by taking aim at the most popular provision in bill (other than to make Sinema’s planned McCain homage and Manchin’s last second hold up for some personal favor easier on them)?

The left has seen every major priority, including stuff Manchin and Sinema themselves campaigned on, get gutted or completely tossed and all they are asking for now is an agreement that they won’t be strong armed into more concessions or see reconciliation nixed entirely and they are the unreasonable ones?

Jesus ing Christ
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #3027 on: October 28, 2021, 03:01:32 PM »

No Bipartisan Bill until we get reconciliation, not an absurd demand. Trust Manchin and Sinema? Ha!
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #3028 on: October 28, 2021, 03:03:14 PM »

Not until they actually vote on it.

Am I the only one that remembers Manchin’s 11th hour hold out on the COVID relief package or the thousands of articles about how Sinema is channeling John McCain?
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #3029 on: October 28, 2021, 03:06:00 PM »

Exactly right. If you trust those two, I don't know what to tell you.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3030 on: October 28, 2021, 03:08:20 PM »

If Justice Dem self-promoters want to vote against what will undoubtedly be an incredibly popular and influential bill, I say go for it.  Voting NO on the main thing Dems are gonna run on in the 2022 midterms doesn't seem like an ace political move to me, but what do I know, my tweets don't get 168K likes.

I seem to recall throughout 2015-2020 "progressives" justifying their outlandish, unworkable, fantasy-land demands by saying "you have to demand more than you want so you meet in the middle to get what you actually want."  Or some variant of that thinking.  So in this negotiation, Biden started by demanding the most progressive spending plan imaginable, and then the furthest-right members of the caucus pared it down to something that's still pretty good.  But now apparently that "meet in the middle" strategy goes out the window, and if you don't agree to the original demand, we're not going to vote for it.  OK, so the entire thing was in bad faith?  Like these people are just children.  Folks, please stop electing idiot children to Congress -- they don't know how to govern, they don't know how to legislate, they don't know how to negotiate, and all they do is humiliate the party day after day after day.

What exactly did Joe Manchin adn Kyrsten Sinema give up? And why should we believe they aren’t going to just burn the whole thing down the second they get the BIF? And what is the strategy they were deploying by taking aim at the most popular provision in bill (other than to make Sinema’s planned McCain homage and Manchin’s last second hold up for some personal favor easier on them)?

The left has seen every major priority, including stuff Manchin and Sinema themselves campaigned on, get gutted or completely tossed and all they are asking for now is an agreement that they won’t be strong armed into more concessions or see reconciliation nixed entirely and they are the unreasonable ones?

Jesus ing Christ

It's 3 trillion dollars, bro.  Three trillion dollars worth of things that didn't get gutted or tossed out.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #3031 on: October 28, 2021, 03:13:30 PM »

If Justice Dem self-promoters want to vote against what will undoubtedly be an incredibly popular and influential bill, I say go for it.  Voting NO on the main thing Dems are gonna run on in the 2022 midterms doesn't seem like an ace political move to me, but what do I know, my tweets don't get 168K likes.

I seem to recall throughout 2015-2020 "progressives" justifying their outlandish, unworkable, fantasy-land demands by saying "you have to demand more than you want so you meet in the middle to get what you actually want."  Or some variant of that thinking.  So in this negotiation, Biden started by demanding the most progressive spending plan imaginable, and then the furthest-right members of the caucus pared it down to something that's still pretty good.  But now apparently that "meet in the middle" strategy goes out the window, and if you don't agree to the original demand, we're not going to vote for it.  OK, so the entire thing was in bad faith?  Like these people are just children.  Folks, please stop electing idiot children to Congress -- they don't know how to govern, they don't know how to legislate, they don't know how to negotiate, and all they do is humiliate the party day after day after day.

Jesus ing Christ

It's 3 trillion dollars, bro.  Three trillion dollars worth of things that didn't get gutted or tossed out.

We have important priorities, priorities which you clearly don't care to learn about or don't deem important. These priorities are mainstream liberal ones, ones that Joe Biden supports, and that are incredibly popular. Paid family leave, prescription drug benefit, Medicare expansion. They cut pathetically slashed. We are rightfully upset about these things, especially given the dire need for this policies.

I don't think LV or I would oppose the disappointment Build Back Better package in a vote, but hold up the Bipartisan Bill until it's passed? Yes of course. We don't (rightfully) trust Manchin or Sinema for a second!
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3032 on: October 28, 2021, 03:18:56 PM »

We absolutely cannot wait for more and more weeks to pass these two. It's already taken a severe toll on Biden's presidency.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3033 on: October 28, 2021, 03:19:30 PM »

Wow how did Biden such a base bill out of Manchin and Sinema
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3034 on: October 28, 2021, 03:21:17 PM »

Then why did they keep saying "we need the text, we need the text!" and now they have the text and it's still not good enough.

Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3035 on: October 28, 2021, 03:21:42 PM »

Folks, please stop electing idiot children to Congress -- they don't know how to govern, they don't know how to legislate, they don't know how to negotiate, and all they do is humiliate the party day after day after day.

So I take it you want Speaker McCarthy?
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #3036 on: October 28, 2021, 03:24:29 PM »

Then why did they keep saying "we need the text, we need the text!" and now they have the text and it's still not good enough.

Because, again, the text is useless when Manchin can decide at the last minute he’s a no after all unless Gail gets to be Vice President.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3037 on: October 28, 2021, 03:45:17 PM »

I got to admit that it is a kind of wild to see Joe Manchin these days being portrayed as this villain who is looking to backstab a democrat president the first chance he gets

I remember when Joe Manchin stuck his neck out for Obama and put his political career on the line when he tried to help him pass a universal background check bill after sandy hook. This was a red state Dem who in the past had even been supported by the NRA yet there he was going on tv not only to defend Obama but he also tried to help to him pass his background check bill

In the end it was not Joe Manchin, who ended up backstabbing Obama, it was Heidi Heitkamp and 3 other Dems....

Say what will about the Joe Manchin, but he will always have my respect for at least trying to do the right thing after sandy hook at a time when it did not politically benefit him at all to do so

Who were the other three democrats
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #3038 on: October 28, 2021, 03:45:22 PM »

When someone makes it clear that they are apathetic or even opposed to the President’s agenda, and they repeatedly make it clear that they don’t care, even after massive concessions, why would you give up your only leverage over them?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3039 on: October 28, 2021, 03:56:19 PM »

This is the single greatest thing in the bill, a complete and total game changer for the poor in the non-Medicaid expansion states. Anyone who claims to be on the left who thinks this bill sucks is out of touch with the reality of how so many of our fellow Americans live.

Ending the "Medicaid gap" is HUGE.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3040 on: October 28, 2021, 04:10:16 PM »

This is grade A quality gaslighting.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3041 on: October 28, 2021, 04:12:14 PM »

How long until the reconciliation bill gets a Senate vote?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3042 on: October 28, 2021, 04:12:44 PM »

It's not any worse than people claiming it's a terrible bill that should be voted down.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3043 on: October 28, 2021, 04:20:10 PM »

It's not any worse than people claiming it's a terrible bill that should be voted down.

Those people are a lot worse, or at least more wrong, than people who tactically disagree about exactly when the BIF should be passed.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3044 on: October 28, 2021, 04:27:13 PM »

That's the thing - if the text remains as is, then it should get a vote soon. But then when Sanders says things like "we're on a strong path" or whatever, that puts it up into who knows territory.

If there's no BIF vote today, then they need to vote on the reconcil bil literally this weekend to get this all passed.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3045 on: October 28, 2021, 04:30:56 PM »

Never, if Pelosi gets her way and the BIF passes first.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #3046 on: October 28, 2021, 04:40:26 PM »

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #3047 on: October 28, 2021, 04:43:12 PM »

Glorious news
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3048 on: October 28, 2021, 04:43:52 PM »

So is Pelosi aiming to get a vote in before the Virginia gubernatorial elections? It's hard to see how that would be worth the risk of Manchin or Sinema changing their mind. Maybe she is so confident in their support that she thinks that Youngkin might otherwise win and trigger a wave of swing-district retirements that would not otherwise occur, but it's unwise. It would be great if the reconciliation bill could pass the Senate in the next few days. However, I think we can wait just a little bit longer for the BIF, and it does look like that will happen regardless of what Pelosi says.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #3049 on: October 28, 2021, 04:46:35 PM »

I got to admit that it is a kind of wild to see Joe Manchin these days being portrayed as this villain who is looking to backstab a democrat president the first chance he gets

I remember when Joe Manchin stuck his neck out for Obama and put his political career on the line when he tried to help him pass a universal background check bill after sandy hook. This was a red state Dem who in the past had even been supported by the NRA yet there he was going on tv not only to defend Obama but he also tried to help to him pass his background check bill

In the end it was not Joe Manchin, who ended up backstabbing Obama, it was Heidi Heitkamp and 3 other Dems....

Say what will about the Joe Manchin, but he will always have my respect for at least trying to do the right thing after sandy hook at a time when it did not politically benefit him at all to do so

Who were the other three democrats

Mark Pryor of Arkansas

Max Baucus of Montana

Mark Begich of Alaska
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 119 120 121 [122] 123 124 125 126 127 ... 236  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies