Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 22, 2024, 09:09:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 88 ... 236
Author Topic: Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread  (Read 250577 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2050 on: October 05, 2021, 08:30:32 PM »
« edited: October 05, 2021, 08:35:19 PM by Mr. Kanye West »

To be honest, I think the GOP is overplaying their hand on the Debt ceiling, because if it comes down to it, I do believe the Dems will lower the threshold to 51 votes in order to increase the depth calling.  

At this point it is increasingly the only real option they have because even if Dems wanted to use reconciliation on the Debt ceiling,, it would simply take way too long and by the time there were done it would already be too late. even Joe Manchin has now come out with a very strong statement saying, We Will Not Let This Country Default

To me that statement should be a red flag to republicans because they are assuming that Manchin is simply going to sit there and let the country fall into economic ruin. To be clear, I don't for 1 second think that Joe Manchin wants to change the filibuster, but if we do end up getting close to Defaulting I think even Manchin would vote for it under those extreme circumstances

Really, Rs are overplaying their hands and D's known since July that Rs weren't gonna help them to raise the Debt Ceiling

D's are using R votes to raise the Debt Ceiling and infrastructure so they can pass a partisan  bill but at same time Portman, Sasse, Toomey, Romney, Collins whom are moderates and Murkowski whom helped D's with Commission aren't partisan and should help raise the DEBT CEILING

Collins is obstructing VR too and she isn't gonna be reelected as easily as she did in 2020 in 2026

Bernie and Warren kept saying Rs aren't that crazy to let the US default yes they are the partisans are

Rs want D's to add Debt Ceiling to Reconciliation so they can modify the D's tax increases like Estate Taxes like I wrote earlier, Rs with Boehner had Budget caps on taxes and Spending when they passed a clean CR on Debt Ceiling with Boehner in 2011

If D's had 52 votes they can ignore Rs and Sinema said she won't blink on View on Filibuster
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #2051 on: October 05, 2021, 08:49:23 PM »

Radical Liberal Joe Biden
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2052 on: October 05, 2021, 09:10:20 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2021, 09:14:40 PM by Mr. Kanye West »

Debt limits in the 1990s was supposed to control spending, every Prez since Contract with America combined with Great Recession and Pandemic have used Debt Ceiling to increase debt, and with two Tax cuts Bush W 1.5T and Trump 1.8T and Tarp, Cares Act and 8t on War on Terror every Prez has used Debt Ceiling to increase the Debt

Medicare Expansion doesn't need to be Expanded we have Medicaid and Seniors of under 1488 qualify for Food stamps and Dual Coverage of Medicaid and Medicare and get premiumd paid off

Seniors or Disabled don't just have Medicare as I have said over and over again

Medicare Expansion doesn't take effect til 2028 anyways, it's not immediately

Most of the Cares Act wasn't 1400/1200 the benefits went to the vast Majority of people on Unemployment with 300 extra more than everyone else, thats why it wasn't renewed
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2053 on: October 05, 2021, 09:44:08 PM »

Radical Liberal Joe Biden
Comrade JOE!
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2054 on: October 05, 2021, 09:51:27 PM »

To be honest, I think the GOP is overplaying their hand on the Debt ceiling, because if it comes down to it, I do believe the Dems will lower the threshold to 51 votes in order to increase the depth calling. 

At this point it is increasingly the only real option they have because even if Dems wanted to use reconciliation on the Debt ceiling,, it would simply take way too long and by the time there were done it would already be too late. even Joe Manchin has now come out with a very strong statement saying, We Will Not Let This Country Default

To me that statement should be a red flag to republicans because they are assuming that Manchin is simply going to sit there and let the country fall into economic ruin. To be clear, I don't for 1 second think that Joe Manchin wants to change the filibuster, but if we do end up getting close to Defaulting I think even Manchin would vote for it under those extreme circumstances

If Sinema and Manchin are forced to make even the slightest change to filibuster rules in a scenario where not doing so literally tanks the entire world economy, that establishes that they're not literally 100% No and proves to themselves and the world that that they can be convinced. Is that what Republicans want? A world where Manchin and Sinema might change the rules if forced to?
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2055 on: October 05, 2021, 09:54:52 PM »

Sinema won’t vote for ending the filibuster. She is a sociopath, make no mistake. She would rather inflate her own image no matter the cost.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2056 on: October 05, 2021, 10:25:23 PM »

Hold your horses folks. I'm pro-Biden, but this ultimately boils down to a mild expansion of the social safety net and a mild repudiation of Reaganism, which, while great news, is hardly monumental. Something along the lines of 3.5 or 6 trillion may have been more worthy of Rushmore, but of course I don't blame Biden for that.
Had Biden done the following, he would be worthy of Rushmore

-6 trillion American Family Plan
-1.7 trillion American Jobs Plan
-John Lewis Voting Rights Act
-For the People Act
-End Filibuster
-End debt ceiling
-Law prevents government shutdowns, no budget passes means staying at current levels

Make sure Family Plan had free college, immigration, $15 an hour, PRO act, teacher pay, lower Medicare to 55, free insulin. 15,000 housing credit and public option

Make sure Job Plan protects country from climate, AI, cyber attack, natural diaster, hacking and stuff to clea up the oceans and near space

Through executive order, Biden could forgive all student loans and end stupid mandatory testing in schools. Also mandate civics and real life skills be taught
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2057 on: October 05, 2021, 10:25:57 PM »

Sinema won’t vote for ending the filibuster. She is a sociopath, make no mistake. She would rather inflate her own image no matter the cost.

Definitely won't vote to abolish it altogether or significantly weaken it, but if she's given these two choices:
  • Approve a "Sinema Rule" that says the debt ceiling cannot be filibustered but otherwise makes to changes to the current system
  • Single-handedly start a worldwide depression (I mean, McConnell and the other 50 Senators would share the blame, but they would be happy to do it to screw Biden while Sinema is at least nominally on Biden's team)

Even Sinema probably takes option 1 there if it's literally down to her deciding and the other 99 Senators not budging. At least... hopefully.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #2058 on: October 05, 2021, 10:28:38 PM »

Hold your horses folks. I'm pro-Biden, but this ultimately boils down to a mild expansion of the social safety net and a mild repudiation of Reaganism, which, while great news, is hardly monumental. Something along the lines of 3.5 or 6 trillion may have been more worthy of Rushmore, but of course I don't blame Biden for that.

-For the People Act
-End Filibuster
-End debt ceiling
-Law prevents government shutdowns, no budget passes means staying at current levels

Make sure Family Plan had free college, immigration, $15 an hour, PRO act, teacher pay, lower Medicare to 55, free insulin. 15,000 housing credit and public option

Make sure Job Plan protects country from climate, AI, cyber attack, natural diaster, hacking and stuff to clea up the oceans and near space

Through executive order, Biden could forgive all student loans and end stupid mandatory testing in schools. Also mandate civics and real life skills be taught

Ending mandatory testing would do literally no good, and further destroy the American education system. The rest is fine, though free college for everyone is a bit excessive imo.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2059 on: October 05, 2021, 10:37:18 PM »

-For the People Act
-End Filibuster
-End debt ceiling

Ending mandatory testing would do literally no good, and further destroy the American education system. The rest is fine, though free college for everyone is a bit excessive imo.
Why do you say that about testing? I am a teacher and mandatory testing has ruined public education. I am expected to "teach how to pass the test" than actual social studies. And as long as the students take the test, they can't fail the school year which gives them no inecentive to try. Its awful. I teach 8th grade US history btw.

Plus teachers are graded by their students test scores, which are always awful because the students don't have any incentive to try. This only causese more teachers to leave the profression.
ChineseConservative
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2060 on: October 05, 2021, 11:00:55 PM »

-For the People Act
-End Filibuster
-End debt ceiling

Why do you say that about testing? I am a teacher and mandatory testing has ruined public education. I am expected to "teach how to pass the test" than actual social studies. And as long as the students take the test, they can't fail the school year which gives them no inecentive to try. Its awful. I teach 8th grade US history btw.

Plus teachers are graded by their students test scores, which are always awful because the students don't have any incentive to try. This only causese more teachers to leave the profression.

I have to come out strongly for more standardized testing as it gives us a uniform metric of assessment despite its flaws. It removes a lot of bias and subjective assessment that would be present without them. Perhaps test scores can be made to adjust for their student demographics. I am probably more impressed by a teacher with majority low income black students averaging 1150 SAT scores than say a teacher with majority white students in household incomes of 200k+ averaging around a 1300 SAT average.
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2061 on: October 05, 2021, 11:18:53 PM »

True, but I'll be damned if it ain't fun watching the working-class Korean and Vietnamese American dudes from California trade blows with the pearl-clutching H-1B visa type and the 2nd gen American authoritarian teenage suburbanite, while the code monkey from Florida and the young teacher from Vermont spectate.

I am probably more impressed by a teacher with majority low income black students averaging 1150 SAT scores than say a teacher with majority white students in household incomes of 200k+ averaging around a 1300 SAT average.

Agreed, but how much of this can a series of elementary, middle, and high school teachers individually be responsible for?
roxas11
United States

« Reply #2062 on: October 05, 2021, 11:19:34 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2021, 11:23:50 PM by roxas11 »

Definitely won't vote to abolish it altogether or significantly weaken it, but if she's given these two choices:
  • Approve a "Sinema Rule" that says the debt ceiling cannot be filibustered but otherwise makes to changes to the current system
  • Single-handedly start a worldwide depression (I mean, McConnell and the other 50 Senators would share the blame, but they would be happy to do it to screw Biden while Sinema is at least nominally on Biden's team)

Even Sinema probably takes option 1 there if it's literally down to her deciding and the other 99 Senators not budging. At least... hopefully.

This is why I think the republicans have made such a huge political miscalculation when it comes to this debt ceiling fight. The GOP is literally putting Manchin and Sinema in a situation where the only reasonable option for them is to vote to weaken the filibuster in order avoid a global depression.

There is simply no upside whatsoever for them to let the economy be destroyed and Manchin has already made it clear that he is not going to let the US default. If push comes to shove, I believe both Manchin and Sinema will vote to weaken the filibuster in order to avoid a global economic Apocalypse

Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #2063 on: October 05, 2021, 11:33:27 PM »

Everyone citing the rationale that Manchin's positions to scale back to $1.5 tril are based on what his rich donors want... his rich donors also don't want the U.S. to default.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2064 on: October 05, 2021, 11:39:07 PM »

This is why I think the republicans have made such a huge political miscalculation when it comes to this debt ceiling fight. The GOP is literally putting Manchin and Sinema in a situation where the only reasonable option for them is to vote to weaken the filibuster in order avoid a global depression.

There is simply no upside whatsoever for them to let the economy be destroyed and Manchin has already made it clear that he is not going to let the US default. If push comes to shove, I believe both Manchin and Sinema will vote to weaken the filibuster in order to avoid a global economic Apocalypse

And once they tweak the filibuster rules once and the sun still comes up and their voters don't revolt (in fact they'll both probably get a lot of positive attention for saving the world), they might do it again one day.

They nailed Pandora's Box shut earlier this year, but after 9 months Mitch McConnell is forcing them to open it.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2065 on: October 06, 2021, 12:26:48 AM »

Sinema isn't getting rid of Filibuster
roxas11
United States

« Reply #2066 on: October 06, 2021, 02:20:25 AM »
« Edited: October 06, 2021, 02:24:14 AM by roxas11 »

Sorry Kanye but have to disagree with you on this one because I don't for 1 some believe that Sinema is going to let the US default and head into a global depression that would do horrific damage to her state of Arizona for many years to come.

Many of Kyrsten Sinema decisions in the past have annoyed me at the times, but she is no fool when it comes to something as serious as this. By the end of the day I believe she and every other Dem would vote to kill Filibuster if they were faced with the possibility that not doing so would bring about a global economic disaster

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2067 on: October 06, 2021, 04:49:49 AM »

https://news.yahoo.com/lindsey-graham-says-wont-complete-042022671.html

Graham says Mcconnell and Cruz are wrong but yet Romney, Murkowski and Collins are Filibustering the Debt Ceiling doesn't make sense to me

Graham said McConnell was wrong about 2K checks too
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2068 on: October 06, 2021, 08:54:21 AM »

I am not for the Filibuster but Sinema if she does break the impasse with a Filibuster reform, on debt Ceiling, then she waisted TX Dems time when they came to DC and sought refuge to get the Filibuster removed from VR and they arrested Barber and Jesse Jackson when then they got arrested when they stayed a sit in in her office and she said on View she would never ever as tiebreaker get rid of Fillibuster that's why I am skeptical.

She missed the Commission vote where she could of broke the Filibuster where 5 Rs broke ranks to pass a It Commission and we could of put Ron Johnson on the Hot seat for his comments on praising Proud Boys, making him more vulnerable for reelection
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2069 on: October 06, 2021, 11:22:46 AM »

I might be in the minority but I think the child care is the most critical thing to this bill (unless there’s something that cuts health care costs for ALL middle class Americans.

But child care being paid for … while young moms work. That’s a massive thing
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2070 on: October 06, 2021, 11:36:12 AM »
« Edited: October 06, 2021, 11:43:19 AM by Mr. Kanye West »

Sorry Kanye but have to disagree with you on this one because I don't for 1 some believe that Sinema is going to let the US default and head into a global depression that would do horrific damage to her state of Arizona for many years to come.

Many of Kyrsten Sinema decisions in the past have annoyed me at the times, but she is no fool when it comes to something as serious as this. By the end of the day I believe she and every other Dem would vote to kill Filibuster if they were faced with the possibility that not doing so would bring about a global economic disaster

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/manchin-rejects-altering-filibuster-rule-155454447.html

Well, Roxas Manchin said he won't vote to end Filibuster to Raise the Debt Ceiling, so that isn't an option and

Biden says he's not Minting a Platinum coin

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-10-04/psaki-rules-out-minting-coin-to-resolve-u-s-debt-limit-dispute

Either D's drop the 3=5T Reconciliation, and pass the 1.2T infrastructure and save it for a Jan 3rd 2023, a 53 plus Senate Ryan and Demings and Barnes and Fetterman said they want DC Statehood that means end Filibuster, or Reconciliation if We Default we can still due Reconciliation by 10/24 that is Deadline for next mnths payments to SSa and Military

If we get 55/45 NC, OH, WI, PA, FL, GA the threshold for Filibuster will be lowered to 55 ANYWAYS

We can win OH, NC and FL in 400 days, campaigns don't begin until Aug 2022/ Rs don't have a monopoly on those states because with Biden and Obama we won them all in 2008/2012/ and Rs were able to win them back, we will win them back too
roxas11
United States

« Reply #2071 on: October 06, 2021, 11:54:18 AM »
« Edited: October 06, 2021, 01:04:22 PM by roxas11 »

I might be in the minority but I think the child care is the most critical thing to this bill (unless there’s something that cuts health care costs for ALL middle class Americans.

But child care being paid for … while young moms work. That’s a massive thing

Childcare is a huge deal and could potentially have a massive impact on our overall economy

The Biden administration is not just doing Childcare out of the kindness of their heart nor are they doing it just because they want to create yet another social welfare program

If anything the real reason they are doing it because is removes a huge barrier that is actually stopping a lot of woman from working in the first place. They clearly want to get more woman to enter the workforce and if they succeed more woman will end up putting more money back into the economy
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2072 on: October 06, 2021, 11:57:32 AM »

Manchin says he is sticking with his 1=5T not moving it to 2.2T that the House voted on too
roxas11
United States

« Reply #2073 on: October 06, 2021, 12:26:50 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2021, 12:30:17 PM by roxas11 »

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/manchin-rejects-altering-filibuster-rule-155454447.html

Well, Roxas Manchin said he won't vote to end Filibuster to Raise the Debt Ceiling, so that isn't an option and

Biden says he's not Minting a Platinum coin

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-10-04/psaki-rules-out-minting-coin-to-resolve-u-s-debt-limit-dispute

Either D's drop the 3=5T Reconciliation, and pass the 1.2T infrastructure and save it for a Jan 3rd 2023, a 53 plus Senate Ryan and Demings and Barnes and Fetterman said they want DC Statehood that means end Filibuster, or Reconciliation if We Default we can still due Reconciliation by 10/24 that is Deadline for next mnths payments to SSa and Military

If we get 55/45 NC, OH, WI, PA, FL, GA the threshold for Filibuster will be lowered to 55 ANYWAYS

We can win OH, NC and FL in 400 days, campaigns don't begin until Aug 2022/ Rs don't have a monopoly on those states because with Biden and Obama we won them all in 2008/2012/ and Rs were able to win them back, we will win them back too

He has been saying that over the past few days but agian even during that same inteview he also said this..

"We are not going to default as a country. We will not default."

This is an unusually strong and definite statement coming from someone like Joe Manchin. He is definitely making it very clear that has no intention whatsoever of letting this county go into default. Manchin is not even entertaining the possibility of sitting back and letting something like that happen

As said in my last post obviously Joe Manchin really does not want to change the filibuster, but he also does not want our economy to fall into a global depression and based on his comments over the last few days I do believe that Manchin would vote to break the filibuster if he thought that our country was really about to go into default

gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #2074 on: October 06, 2021, 12:30:58 PM »

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/575549-manchin-signals-he-wont-support-filibuster-carve-out-for-debt-hike

Manchin says NO
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 88 ... 236  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies