Kristi Noem gets in Twitter beef with Lil Nas X over shoes, souls
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 10:38:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Kristi Noem gets in Twitter beef with Lil Nas X over shoes, souls
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 19
Author Topic: Kristi Noem gets in Twitter beef with Lil Nas X over shoes, souls  (Read 27913 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: March 30, 2021, 10:29:33 PM »

Gov. Noem is in the right on this issue, and I give major props to BRTD for standing up for her in this thread against the waves of people attacking him for actually caring. Yeah, satanic shoes aren't the most pressing issue in the world. Still, nobody should be in the business of normalizing or rehabilitating Satan's image and society should not be treating this as if it were something perfectly normal. That this is being written off as not a big deal speaks directly to the profound spiritual malaise that this country faces.

1. Satan is not real. Even a lot of Christians don’t believe there is literally a red guy with horns who lords over a fiery underworld, and there isn’t much in the Bible to support that. Most of that conception of Satan comes from Dante’s Inferno, Milton’s Paradise Lost, and various Looney Tunes cartoons. It’s not a real thing and it’s embarrassing for real live adults to not only believe in it but have a moral panic over it (AGAIN).

I don't see how you could read the New Testament and not see the reality of Satan and demons. Christ was tempted by Satan after fasting for 40 days in the desert.  He talks about Satan and spiritual warfare repeatedly, as do his early apostles and disciples in their New Testament letters.   

Said reality is only apparent under the premise that the New Testament is objectively correct. Which, of course, many people do not accept.

He posted that in response to Alben saying that lots of Christians don't believe in Satan. The point is that it is irrational to be a Christian and not believe that Satan is very real and the cause of evil in the world. Of course one might simply handwave the numerous references to Satan in the Bible, but if you believe that the word of God has been so thoroughly disfigured that major themes that Jesus Christ is credited as having taught are entirely false then there is little meaning in self-identifying as a Christian at that point.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #251 on: March 30, 2021, 10:30:01 PM »
« Edited: March 30, 2021, 10:36:21 PM by emotional hardcore »

Gov. Noem is in the right on this issue, and I give major props to BRTD for standing up for her in this thread against the waves of people attacking him for actually caring. Yeah, satanic shoes aren't the most pressing issue in the world. Still, nobody should be in the business of normalizing or rehabilitating Satan's image and society should not be treating this as if it were something perfectly normal. That this is being written off as not a big deal speaks directly to the profound spiritual malaise that this country faces.

Roll Eyes This sounds like 80's Suburban megachurch moms shrieking "won't someone think of the children?!?" in response to Ozzy Osbourne and Slayer.

Uh, what's the problem with that? Ozzy and Slayer suck. Now if that crowd had gone after say Minor Threat, I would have a problem with them.

Also seeing as how heavy metal music encouraged teen suicides I'd say the critics of it actually had a point...

Good God, are you truly that immune to catching a point with both hands Zach? This isn't about your insular self-absorbed monomania with emo music end which music is good or bad. Repeat, get it through your attention whoring skull, that is not the point. The point is Kristi noem is getting all the shade well-deserved of a state Governor getting into a Twitter war with a hip hop artist over dime-store Satanism.

And teenage suicides? Really dude? Why don't you and Tipper Gore go restart the pmrc? Seriously, I will repeat, this sounds exactly like some Suburban megachurch mom shrieking what about the children.

So sad BRTD. All conservative all the time now

Funnily the people who convinced me of the teen suicide thing were largely atheists, and not conservative at all. They were people I ran into when I first got into hardcore about 20 years ago now, and had a site explaining the evils of heavy metal and hip-hop music and why one shouldn't listen to any music besides punk/hardcore/emo/etc. You see in the 90s and early 00s there were some very close-knit groups of hardcore fans and show goers and people very dedicated to a certain "hardcore aesthetic" and way of life and extreme "purists" who thus were opposed to basically listening to literally any other style of music, some accused them of being almost cult-like...but they were VERY persuasive and welcoming. Those sort of sects had mostly dissolved by the time the Iraq War started, but they had a pretty big online presence prior. Well some adherents of one introduced me to hardcore and I reviewed their site. It was an awesome site and very convincing and I'd link to it if it still existed (I think it was on Geocities, LOL), but they made a very convincing case that heavy metal promotes suicide and negativity and that hip-hop glamorized things like violence and drugs and that hardcore was all positive and enriching to people. After that I vowed never to listen to heavy metal ever again. They were also vegan and straightedge though so they didn't convince me on those fronts lol. But yeah this was hardly a Tipper Gore or conservative thing, we're talking heavily tattooed mosh loving hardcore people.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #252 on: March 30, 2021, 10:43:25 PM »

Friendly reminder that BRTD is 37 years old.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #253 on: March 30, 2021, 10:46:38 PM »

Friendly reminder that BRTD is 37 years old.
Yes, I've specifically made it clear that these formative events for me happened 20 years ago.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #254 on: March 30, 2021, 10:53:03 PM »
« Edited: March 30, 2021, 11:04:00 PM by Joe Republic »

And there appears to be little to no emotional development since you were 17, other than randomly deciding to discover Jesus.

(Which I wouldn’t exactly describe as development.)
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

« Reply #255 on: March 30, 2021, 10:54:26 PM »

Roll Eyes This sounds like 80's Suburban megachurch moms shrieking "won't someone think of the children?!?" in response to Ozzy Osbourne and Slayer.

Uh, what's the problem with that? Ozzy and Slayer suck. Now if that crowd had gone after say Minor Threat, I would have a problem with them.

Also seeing as how heavy metal music encouraged teen suicides I'd say the critics of it actually had a point...

Good God, are you truly that immune to catching a point with both hands Zach? This isn't about your insular self-absorbed monomania with emo music end which music is good or bad. Repeat, get it through your attention whoring skull, that is not the point. The point is Kristi noem is getting all the shade well-deserved of a state Governor getting into a Twitter war with a hip hop artist over dime-store Satanism.

And teenage suicides? Really dude? Why don't you and Tipper Gore go restart the pmrc? Seriously, I will repeat, this sounds exactly like some Suburban megachurch mom shrieking what about the children.

Funnily the people who convinced me of the teen suicide thing were largely atheists, and not conservative at all. They were people I ran into when I first got into hardcore about 20 years ago now, and had a site explaining the evils of heavy metal and hip-hop music and why one shouldn't listen to any music besides punk/hardcore/emo/etc. You see in the 90s and early 00s there were some very close-knit groups of hardcore fans and show goers and people very dedicated to a certain "hardcore aesthetic" and way of life and extreme "purists" who thus were opposed to basically listening to literally any other style of music, some accused them of being almost cult-like...but they were VERY persuasive and welcoming. Those sort of sects had mostly dissolved by the time the Iraq War started, but they had a pretty big online presence prior. Well some adherents of one introduced me to hardcore and I reviewed their site. It was an awesome site and very convincing and I'd link to it if it still existed (I think it was on Geocities, LOL), but they made a very convincing case that heavy metal promotes suicide and negativity and that hip-hop glamorized things like violence and drugs and that hardcore was all positive and enriching to people. After that I vowed never to listen to heavy metal ever again. They were also vegan and straightedge though so they didn't convince me on those fronts lol. But yeah this was hardly a Tipper Gore or conservative thing, we're talking heavily tattooed mosh loving hardcore people.
I don't care how loud your music is or how many skinny white boys you have screaming about their feelings with tattoos, siding with Tipper Gore in the must obvious culture war con job is absolutely antithetical to the very foundation of punk.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #256 on: March 30, 2021, 10:56:26 PM »

I don't care how loud your music is or how many skinny white boys you have screaming about their feelings with tattoos, siding with Tipper Gore in the must obvious culture war con job is absolutely antithetical to the very foundation of punk.

It wasn't really so much siding with Tipper Gore as it was a co-belligerent thing, in this case trying to keep metal fans out of hardcore. Mind you metalheads of the era were also pretty adamant about keeping hardcore fans out of metal, so the feelings were mutual.
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

« Reply #257 on: March 30, 2021, 10:59:43 PM »

It wasn't really so much siding with Tipper Gore as it was a co-belligerent thing, in this case trying to keep metal fans out of hardcore. Mind you metalheads of the era were also pretty adamant about keeping hardcore fans out of metal, so the feelings were mutual.
There's a lot of legitimate sh**t that punk fans can have grievances towards metalheads for. The musclebound macho image, the rampant misogyny, the dnd bullsh**t imagery. Thinking that Black Sabbath literally worshipped the devil and encouraged kids to kill themselves is not one of them. Jesus Christ you sound more like some wine mom Ed Sheeran listener than a f##cking punk.

Go ahead, post a music video that no one is going to listen to to show how hardcore your music taste is.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #258 on: March 30, 2021, 11:03:40 PM »

There's a lot of legitimate sh**t that punk fans can have grievances towards metalheads for. The musclebound macho image, the rampant misogyny, the dnd bullsh**t imagery. Thinking that Black Sabbath literally worshipped the devil and encouraged kids to kill themselves is not one of them. Jesus Christ you sound more like some wine mom Ed Sheeran listener than a f##cking punk.

Go ahead, post a music video that no one is going to listen to to show how hardcore your music taste is.

Are you at all familiar with the hardline movement or various hardcore subcultures that existed in that time frame? You're kind of comparing apples to oranges with your view of "punk". Punks at the time were totally all about sh!tting on metal with any reason they could find, even if otherwise lame people use those reasons.
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

« Reply #259 on: March 30, 2021, 11:08:26 PM »

Are you at all familiar with the hardline movement or various hardcore subcultures that existed in that time frame? You're kind of comparing apples to oranges with your view of "punk". Punks at the time were totally all about sh!tting on metal with any reason they could find, even if otherwise lame people use those reasons.
Those people can blow me. I legitimately don't care. There is an underlying ethos and philosophy to punk. A fundamental rejection of authority, a genuine belief in egalitarianism, and a desire for a free and loving society based on human decency and objective truths. And if your hatred of metal and its fans supersedes your adherence to that then you aren't a real punk.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #260 on: March 30, 2021, 11:10:18 PM »

Those people can blow me. I legitimately don't care. There is an underlying ethos and philosophy to punk. A fundamental rejection of authority, a genuine belief in egalitarianism, and a desire for a free and loving society based on human decency and objective truths. And if your hatred of metal and its fans supersedes your adherence to that then you aren't a real punk.
That would probably exclude then support of Khrushchev and the Soviet Union. Which isn't surprising considering how East Germany treated those in its punk scene.
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

« Reply #261 on: March 30, 2021, 11:12:29 PM »

That would probably exclude then support of Khrushchev and the Soviet Union. Which isn't surprising considering how East Germany treated those in its punk scene.
The user name choice is way more about my feelings towards cocaine than it is about my feelings towards Khrushchev.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #262 on: March 30, 2021, 11:43:01 PM »

Imagine being so homophobic that you spend 10 pages trying to justify it

Uh, I don't see anyone here trying to justify homophobia, nor does this have anything to do with him being gay. I literally had not heard of this guy before this thread so I knew absolutely nothing about him including that he was gay. I just expressed my opinion on that the shoes are a very very sh!tty thing and I want absolutely nothing to do with this guy ever. There are many many LGBT Christians who would say the same.

Lil Nas X is a gay artist and this whole video/shoe thing is a statement of gay independence from the Christian authorities who have tried to crush and kill us for hundreds of years. Yes this goes up to the modern day, yes I know LGBT teens driven to suicide attempts because of the hate they’re taught against themselves by the church that is so desperately afraid of “protecting their children” they end up killing them, and if you’re a Christian who believes suicide is a mortal sin then you have to realize that you’re the ones damning children to eternal torture because you can’t be comfortable with them existing.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #263 on: March 30, 2021, 11:46:52 PM »

I know I use this GIF a lot but...

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #264 on: March 30, 2021, 11:48:30 PM »

Uh, I don't see anyone here trying to justify homophobia, nor does this have anything to do with him being gay. I literally had not heard of this guy before this thread so I knew absolutely nothing about him including that he was gay. I just expressed my opinion on that the shoes are a very very sh!tty thing and I want absolutely nothing to do with this guy ever. There are many many LGBT Christians who would say the same.

Lil Nas X is a gay artist and this whole video/shoe thing is a statement of gay independence from the Christian authorities who have tried to crush and kill us for hundreds of years. Yes this goes up to the modern day, yes I know LGBT teens driven to suicide attempts because of the hate they’re taught against themselves by the church that is so desperately afraid of “protecting their children” they end up killing them, and if you’re a Christian who believes suicide is a mortal sin then you have to realize that you’re the ones damning children to eternal torture because you can’t be comfortable with them existing.
Uh, I'm a Christian who doesn't believe that homosexual actions are sinful. I've been railing against conservative Christians who are against homosexuality here a very long time. And I know a ton of LGBT Christians. And they will NOT stand with Lil Nas X.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #265 on: March 30, 2021, 11:49:54 PM »

Uh, I'm a Christian who doesn't believe that homosexual actions are sinful. I've been railing against conservative Christians who are against homosexuality here a very long time. And I know a ton of LGBT Christians. And they will NOT stand with Lil Nas X.
You fight monsters long enough you become them...
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #266 on: March 30, 2021, 11:50:58 PM »

You fight monsters long enough you become them...

Please point me to a single post I've ever made where I said that homosexuality or homosexual actions are wrong or sinful.

Bizarre thing: I get bashed here all the time for bashing Catholicism which I do explicitly for their position on homosexuality amongst other things!
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #267 on: March 30, 2021, 11:51:04 PM »

Lol, How did this topic get 11 pages?
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #268 on: March 30, 2021, 11:55:39 PM »

Blame the supposedly "all liberal all the time" 37 year old supporting the Satanic Panic because of a music video that he hasn't watched  and a few slightly customized sneakers that are less edgy that most stuff you would find at a Hot Topic by a musician he barely knows
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #269 on: March 30, 2021, 11:57:40 PM »

Blame the supposedly "all liberal all the time" 37 year old supporting the Satanic Panic because of a music video and a few slightly customized sneakers that are less edgy that most stuff you would find at a Hot Topic
I've actually never seen the music video, was not aware of it until several pages into this thread (it wasn't mentioned in the original tweets), and literally had never heard of this guy at all until I clicked on this thread.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #270 on: March 31, 2021, 12:20:16 AM »

Blame the supposedly "all liberal all the time" 37 year old supporting the Satanic Panic because of a music video and a few slightly customized sneakers that are less edgy that most stuff you would find at a Hot Topic
I've actually never seen the music video, was not aware of it until several pages into this thread (it wasn't mentioned in the original tweets), and literally had never heard of this guy at all until I clicked on this thread.

I've supported you here, but I think Proverbs 9:7 applies. It is not profitable to rebut every comment made in your direction. We've made our points thoroughly enough here.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #271 on: March 31, 2021, 12:35:25 AM »

I've supported you here, but I think Proverbs 9:7 applies. It is not profitable to rebut every comment made in your direction. We've made our points thoroughly enough here.
In no way is the point thorough though
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #272 on: March 31, 2021, 01:15:00 AM »

My main point here actually (although I'll admit it's being obscured with talk of 20+ year old hardcore subcultures and the like) is that talking about this guy and acting like he speaks for the whole LGBT community in this is actually pretty offensive to those who don't and basically erases Christian LGBT people. In fact someone else made that point earlier in the thread. And any claims that any critics of his are homophobic aren't exactly debunking that.

And also (as I alluded to earlier) I was high as a kite the last two nights so if any of my posts seemed a bit odd...well there's at least one reason. Which is a bit ironic with my recent citing of straightedge movements, LOL.
Anti-Trump Truth Socialite JD Vance Enjoying Juror
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #273 on: March 31, 2021, 02:35:17 AM »

I am very glad that Talk Elections secular web blog has enlightened discussions like these. Let's go another 11 pages!
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #274 on: March 31, 2021, 04:52:04 AM »

Thinking about Satan in Diablo II terms makes me want to become a Christian  Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 19  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies