SB 29-11: ROC Act of 2021 (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:36:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 29-11: ROC Act of 2021 (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SB 29-11: ROC Act of 2021 (Passed)  (Read 1258 times)
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 24, 2021, 07:59:25 AM »
« edited: April 04, 2021, 11:58:32 AM by FalterinArc »

ROC Act of 2021

1. The Republic of Atlasia will recognize the Republic of China and shall establish a embassy in Taipei, Republic of China
2. The Republic of Atlasia shall recognize that the Republic of China currently controls Taiwan Main Island/Formosa, Kinmen Main Island, Penghu Main Island, Orchid Island, Xiyu Island, Waisanding Shoal Island, Green Island, Lesser Kinmen Island, Baisha Island, Nangan Island, Cimei Island, Lamay Island, Wang'an Island, and Beigan Island.
Passed 6-2-0-1 in the Atlasian House assembled

Sponsor: Yankee
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 10:58:38 AM »

I am not against sponsoring this, but I would like to here from the administration before doing so. I contacted the President and Secretary of State as such for their thoughts on this bill.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 11:57:57 AM »

While the One-China policy has long stood as the Republic's stance towards recognition of the People's Republic of China, we feel it is in the best interest of the Taiwanese people to support a Two-China policy. This Administration supports establishing a formal diplomatic mission with the Republic of China. To that end, we support the legislation as it currently stands before the Senate.

If this legislation moves forward, it will receive the President's signature. We will work closely with the Republic of China to begin to reestablish an embassy in Taipei.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 12:28:45 PM »

I motion to assume sponsorship.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 12:29:18 PM »

24 hours to object
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 08:12:38 AM »

Yankee is recognized as Sponsor
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2021, 04:38:53 PM »

I support this bill & am pleased that the administration supports this. 
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2021, 02:53:19 AM »

Any other comments/concerns about this bill?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2021, 01:39:13 PM »

With the administration on board I feel more confident about this approach and though it will definitely be disruptive to certain things, I think it is at the same time a more honest view of things then pretending their is only one China while defending at the the threat of WWIII the existence of Taiwan as separate.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2021, 01:39:23 PM »

I motion for a final vote.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2021, 01:47:44 PM »

24 hours to object.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2021, 03:44:17 PM »

Reposting this here:

Crouching resolution, hidden crisis
PRC government "livid" over ROC Act of 2021

BEIJING- As the House has passed HB 29-06 recognizing the Republic of China, President Xi Jinping has changed his tone on the new Atlasian administration. In a now furiously-worded statement, he has claimed the Atlasian Congress and the executive branch are "walking dangerous paths".

The President, who currently holds what amounts to supreme control over the mighty - albeit weakened - PRC, and his political and economic influence extends far beyond his borders to other regions in Asia and even other continents, like Africa and South America. The result of recent conflicts with Atlasia has not been rosy for the Chinese government, but they remain defiant and heavily critical of the Republic's efforts to recognize democratic governments' self-determination. The bill to recognize the Taiwanese government (already passed by the House) is, in Xi's government's view, the last in a series of policy changes meant to undermine Chinese influence in Asia.

The statement from Beijing gave several interesting observations, such as decrying "the shameless silence from Administration officials like President Sestak and Secretary DevoutCentrist which has allowed poisonous rhetoric to enter the hallowed halls of Congress", or claiming that "the passage and signature of the resolution will signify a complete and utter breakdown of the relationship between Atlasia and the PRC" but that "there is still time to right the ship: if the Atlasian Senate kills the resolution, or President Sestak counters it, we are more than open to bilateral negotiations with the Republic of Atlasia to welcome a brighter future for all. We hardly dare to think what would happen were the resolution to become policy".
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2021, 03:50:45 PM »
« Edited: March 30, 2021, 03:54:53 PM by Clinton/Kaine/ Northam/ Biden/Warner voter for Cox »

The Honorable Senator expresses sentiments that I have held privately for a while too, and regret not mentioning them earlier, I am alarmed that no one yet has mentioned that this bill is tantamount to further conflict with China and a very likely invasion of Taiwan, which could quickly become a war that threatens to destabilize the entirety of East Asia. I understand that a lot of us prefer Taiwan over China and I do as well. I do not like China, but a war with China that destabilizes East Asia is NOT in this nation's best interest, I URGE the Senate to REJECT this, in the interest of maintaining stability in East Asia.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2021, 03:56:55 PM »
« Edited: March 30, 2021, 04:01:50 PM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

The Honorable Senator expresses sentiments that I have held privately for a while too, and regret not mentioning them earlier, I am alarmed that no one yet has mentioned that this bill is tantamount to further conflict with China and a very likely invasion of Taiwan, which could quickly become a war that threatens to destabilize the entirety of East Asia. I understand that a lot of us prefer Taiwan over China and I do as well. I do not like China, but a war with China that destabilizes East Asia is NOT in this nation's best interest, I urge the Senate to reject this, in the interest of maintaining stability in East Asia.

The thing is, China cannot invade Taiwan now not because we haven't recognized Taiwan as such, but because the PRC think that if they do, it will be WW3 (or 4 in game I guess) with the United States (Atlasia in game) .

Instead we pretend that we don't care about Taiwan while making clear we actually do, and China pretends that we don't care so they can carry on their internal stability efforts with the whole "One China Policy" and Taiwan just being a rogue province "to be acquired later". Eventually hoping to be in a relative position of power to just overrun the place without us being able to stop them, basically events that will enable them to transform the alternative reality that Beijing resides in, to reality.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2021, 04:00:14 PM »

At the end of the day though, the PRC cares about preserving its power first and foremost and will accept any condition that preserves such and will react aggressively to anything that is perceived to undermine its power. However, at the same time China has to be realistic about its own position and it is not a martyrdom state bent on death either.

If the administration is determined to challenge the PRC, which they seem to be, there needs to be an over arching strategy behind this desire for a two state solution.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2021, 04:01:33 PM »

The Honorable Senator expresses sentiments that I have held privately for a while too, and regret not mentioning them earlier, I am alarmed that no one yet has mentioned that this bill is tantamount to further conflict with China and a very likely invasion of Taiwan, which could quickly become a war that threatens to destabilize the entirety of East Asia. I understand that a lot of us prefer Taiwan over China and I do as well. I do not like China, but a war with China that destabilizes East Asia is NOT in this nation's best interest, I urge the Senate to reject this, in the interest of maintaining stability in East Asia.

The thing is, China cannot invade Taiwan now not because we haven't recognized Taiwan as such, but because the PRC think that if they do, it will be WW3 (or 4 in game I guess) with the United States.

Instead we pretend that we don't care about Taiwan while making clear we actually do, and China pretends that we don't care so they can carry on their internal stability efforts with the whole "One China Policy" and Taiwan just being a rogue province "to be acquired later". Eventually hoping to be in a relative position of power to just overrun the place without us being able to stop them.

True, but if Taiwan is formally recognized, that would shatter all pretenses or delusions about the facade and Taiwan is no longer merely a "rogue province," but now an independent hostile nation endorsed by the leader of the free world. Make no mistakes, China cannot allow that happen and they will not.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2021, 04:08:08 PM »

The thing is, China cannot invade Taiwan now not because we haven't recognized Taiwan as such, but because the PRC think that if they do, it will be WW3 (or 4 in game I guess) with the United States.

Instead we pretend that we don't care about Taiwan while making clear we actually do, and China pretends that we don't care so they can carry on their internal stability efforts with the whole "One China Policy" and Taiwan just being a rogue province "to be acquired later". Eventually hoping to be in a relative position of power to just overrun the place without us being able to stop them.

True, but if Taiwan is formally recognized, that would shatter all pretenses or delusions about the facade and Taiwan is no longer merely a "rogue province," but now an independent hostile nation endorsed by the leader of the free world. Make no mistakes, China cannot allow that happen and they will not.

Can Atlasia in good conscious consign Taiwan to the same fate as Hong Kong, Tibet or Xinjiang?

We have made great efforts to not bend the knee to Beijing on trade, economic considerations, Hong Kong, the Uyghurs and many other victims of PRC oppression.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2021, 04:11:11 PM »

Can Atlasia in good conscious consign Taiwan to the same fate as Hong Kong, Tibet or Xinjiang?

We have made great efforts to not bend the knee to Beijing on trade, economic considerations, Hong Kong, the Uyghurs and many other victims of PRC oppression.

China has not yet invaded Taiwan and quite frankly, as you said they know they probably won't get it back, but pretend they will, they won't, if left undisturbed. If this bill passes on the other hand, their bluff is called, and they're forced to act.

At the end of the day though, the PRC cares about preserving its power first and foremost and will accept any condition that preserves such and will react aggressively to anything that is perceived to undermine its power. However, at the same time China has to be realistic about its own position and it is not a martyrdom state bent on death either.

If the administration is determined to challenge the PRC, which they seem to be, there needs to be an over arching strategy behind this desire for a two state solution.

For this reason, I don't expect China to invade Taiwan if unprovoked, they will not be the ones to incite the war. We should not be the ones who incite the war either.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2021, 04:25:52 PM »

I support this bill and look forward to voting yes.
Harvey Updyke Jr🌹
jtsmd2
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -7.22

P P P
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2021, 07:25:10 PM »

This bill is dangerous and foolish, and all of you warmongers who support it might bite off more than we can chew, and I say "WE" because it is all of us who will pay the consequences.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2021, 08:09:46 PM »

This bill is dangerous and foolish, and all of you warmongers who support it might bite off more than we can chew, and I say "WE" because it is all of us who will pay the consequences.

Few understand the risks of another conflict with China more than I, but I am also cognizant of the fact that we have indeed fought a conflict with China before that both Sestak and myself were involved with ending. If his administration has a plan here, I am inclined to appreciate that he understands the risks and has weighed them accordingly.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2021, 08:24:23 PM »

Few understand the risks of another conflict with China more than I, but I am also cognizant of the fact that we have indeed fought a conflict with China before that both Sestak and myself were involved with ending. If his administration has a plan here, I am inclined to appreciate that he understands the risks and has weighed them accordingly.

You do not only avoid wars that you will lose, you want to avoid wars in general. Whether or not we'd easily beat China in a war is irrelevant, such a war will lead to the deaths of thousands, if not millions of civilians.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2021, 08:28:26 PM »

You do not only avoid wars that you will lose, you want to avoid wars in general. Whether or not we'd easily beat China in a war is irrelevant, such a war will lead to the deaths of thousands, if not millions of civilians.

If I thought the only path forward from this was war, I would not have sponsored it. The plan referenced, would be some form of diplomatic maneuvering.

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2021, 07:06:54 AM »

If I thought the only path forward from this was war, I would not have sponsored it. The plan referenced, would be some form of diplomatic maneuvering.

Why would China agree to diplomatic manuevering when the last facade of the One China Policy has been shattered? Do you expect them to just stand down and not try to save face?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2021, 11:15:04 AM »

Why would China agree to diplomatic manuevering when the last facade of the One China Policy has been shattered? Do you expect them to just stand down and not try to save face?

For China, economic growth is the most critical factor to the preservation of internal stability.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies