Lieberman-Lamont Showdown: The Results are coming in
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 03:57:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Lieberman-Lamont Showdown: The Results are coming in
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18
Author Topic: Lieberman-Lamont Showdown: The Results are coming in  (Read 50464 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: August 09, 2006, 10:07:51 AM »

The people have spoken. They want change.

Be careful with that sort of logic in tight elections; unless you also think (for example) that Bush had a "mandate" in 2004, then you are at risk of being labeled a hypocrite.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #401 on: August 09, 2006, 10:13:46 AM »

Be careful with that sort of logic in tight elections; unless you also think (for example) that Bush had a "mandate" in 2004, then you are at risk of being labeled a hypocrite.

Bush did win a mandate in 2004.
M

« Reply #402 on: August 09, 2006, 10:15:05 AM »

Let me just say that I am very disappointed with the voters of Connecticut's Democratic primary.  They had a perfectly good senator, one of the best in the country, who only happened to disagree with them on one main issue.  The liberals on this board consider themselves to be much more "tolerant" people than the conservatives, but they've just chucked someone based on the fact that he happens to not agree with them 100% on every issue.  I don't know where people like jfern get off saying that Lieberman was a rubber-stamp for Bush's policies, when he has criticized several of them (Lieberman mentioned this himself).  It's sad, really.

Good lord, man, you think it unreasonable of voters to want their representative to represent their views?!

Yes.

Because I belive in a Republic, and not a Democracy, as did the Founders of this nation. America is not a mob rule nation; our best politicians, rare as an Arab democracy, are those like Clay and Lieberman who would rather be right than president.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #403 on: August 09, 2006, 10:16:13 AM »

It matters not what you think over that, it's what he thinks. If that makes any sense.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #404 on: August 09, 2006, 10:18:35 AM »

It matters not what you think over that, it's what he thinks. If that makes any sense.

I see where you're going with this. Tongue
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #405 on: August 09, 2006, 10:19:04 AM »

M,

How the hell ya been man?
Soaring Eagle

« Reply #406 on: August 09, 2006, 10:28:31 AM »

In 2004, the people spoke that they wanted to know what they were getting. Bush was and is a horrible president, but voters like to know what they are getting. To this day, I still do not know what exactly Kerry's position on Iraq was. Bush's victory did send a message, just a slightly different message. Also, that was 2004. This is 2006.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #407 on: August 09, 2006, 11:14:31 AM »

County results:

Fairfield: N 28,474   J 25,894
Hartford: N 35,066  J 33,415
Litchfield: N  5,847  J   4,671
Middlesex: N 7,020  J  5,076
New Haven: N 21,706 J 22,032
New London: N 7,913  J 7,364
Tolland: N 6,101  J 3,871
Windham: N 2,979  J 2,430
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #408 on: August 09, 2006, 11:24:31 AM »

In 2004, the people spoke that they wanted to know what they were getting. Bush was and is a horrible president, but voters like to know what they are getting. To this day, I still do not know what exactly Kerry's position on Iraq was. Bush's victory did send a message, just a slightly different message. Also, that was 2004. This is 2006.

I'm sorry, I don't understand that.

My point was, that you made a sweeping statement about a very close election; saying that "The people have spoken. They want change." when the margin between the two candidates was about 3pts.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #409 on: August 09, 2006, 11:27:27 AM »

But look at how badly the odds were stacked against Lamont.

From what I read, Lieberman is now only the 4th sitting senator to lose a primary since 1980.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #410 on: August 09, 2006, 11:37:11 AM »

Please don't pretend this was an upset... that's almost as bad as pretending it was a landslide... Tongue

Besides, the odds haven't been stacked against Lamont for quite a while now.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It's either fifth or fourth, can't recall which. Either way, that's still not enough to justify this:

"The people have spoken. They want change."

The implication here is that Change won overwhelmingly, when actually it was a very close race and wasn't all that far off from being 50/50.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; the reactions from both sides to this have been way over the top.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #411 on: August 09, 2006, 11:41:13 AM »

Please don't pretend this was an upset... that's almost as bad as pretending it was a landslide... Tongue

Actually what I saw on many news sources called it an upset.

Hell, even good Lewis made this prediction (To the thread "If Lamont loses the Senate primary"):

I have a problem with the thread title. A grammatical problem. It should say "when", not "if".
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #412 on: August 09, 2006, 11:46:25 AM »
« Edited: August 09, 2006, 11:48:43 AM by Jake »

You have a very poor memory. Those statements about Lamont surely losing the primary were made after Lieberman announced he would run as an Independent if he lost the primary. That's when this race became competitive and when the odds were no longer stacked against Lamont.

Here's the thread of July 3rd.
Soaring Eagle

« Reply #413 on: August 09, 2006, 11:49:18 AM »

Besides, the odds haven't been stacked against Lamont for quite a while now.

It's either fifth or fourth, can't recall which. Either way, that's still not enough to justify this:

"The people have spoken. They want change."

The implication here is that Change won overwhelmingly, when actually it was a very close race and wasn't all that far off from being 50/50.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; the reactions from both sides to this have been way over the top.
Well, let me put it this way; the majority wants change. And they want it enough to give the boot to a three-term incumbent. I think that's pretty significant.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #414 on: August 09, 2006, 11:50:52 AM »

Despite the fact that it was closer than the polls indicated? That says a lot about the media.

[/quote]

That was almost two months ago; a lot can (and did) change in two months.
By a few days ago, only a handful of people on the forum were predicting Lieberman winning; less than those predicting a big Lamont win I think. It's on the start of this thread IIRC.

(O/c by all means celebrate that your guy has won; just don't exaggerate it into anything it wasn't).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #415 on: August 09, 2006, 11:52:55 AM »

Hell, even good Lewis made this prediction (To the thread "If Lamont loses the Senate primary"):

I have a problem with the thread title. A grammatical problem. It should say "when", not "if".
Two months ago.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #416 on: August 09, 2006, 11:54:13 AM »

Well, let me put it this way; the majority wants change.

Yes, but only a very slender majority. Both facts (that it's a majority, that it's a small one) are important.

When did I say that it wasn't significant? Of course it's significant. Hey, I stayed up till past 3am to watch this, it's not like I thought this were a routine primary or anything...
Soaring Eagle

« Reply #417 on: August 09, 2006, 12:01:33 PM »

Well, let me put it this way; the majority wants change.

Yes, but only a very slender majority. Both facts (that it's a majority, that it's a small one) are important.

When did I say that it wasn't significant? Of course it's significant. Hey, I stayed up till past 3am to watch this, it's not like I thought this were a routine primary or anything...
I know. I'm probably just stating the obvious there.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #418 on: August 09, 2006, 12:04:07 PM »

I have to agree. Whatever respect I had for him, I lost last night.

This scumbag even continues to reference his website being hacked. Did you hear his "concession" speech?  How do people just blindly lie like that?Huh God, he is a scumbag.  The Lamont campaign should sue for slander.

Lamont is a classy guy. Lieberman is trash.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #419 on: August 09, 2006, 12:14:47 PM »

Standing right behind Lamont on stage were the Democrats' two greatest hangers on who like to get their faces into every liberal photo op imaginable, race baiter Al Sharpton and moral hypocrite Jesse Jackson.

Lamont, Sharpton, Jackson, Pelosi, the new face of the Democratic Party.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #420 on: August 09, 2006, 12:17:04 PM »

Al, I want to thank you for adding a voice of sanity and reason to this thread.  Smiley
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #421 on: August 09, 2006, 12:41:10 PM »

Here's a link to some excerpts from Lamont's speech:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/09/nyregion/09transcriptlamont.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

This sounds more like a campaign speech than a victory speech.  It also seems pretty obvious he doesn't know much about DC works.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #422 on: August 09, 2006, 04:25:07 PM »

Matt Taibbi on Lieberman's defeat:

The only kind of change most dissenting voters in this country can contemplate is the rejection of an openly drooling imperialist like Joe Lieberman, whose real crime was not his war stance but his refusal to participate in the kind of craven cover-your-ass posturing the Hillarys and Joe Bidens and John Kerrys have indulged in this election season. Had Lieberman merely pretended to be antiwar once things went wrong in Baghdad, he almost certainly could have counted on the pusillanimity of the American voter to carry him to yet another Connecticut landslide.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #423 on: August 09, 2006, 04:40:58 PM »

Leiberman took his position for granted and got smacked around for it.
Either way the dems keep the seat so i couldn't care less what he does now.
jman724
Rookie
United States

« Reply #424 on: August 09, 2006, 04:47:21 PM »

Standing right behind Lamont on stage were the Democrats' two greatest hangers on who like to get their faces into every liberal photo op imaginable, race baiter Al Sharpton and moral hypocrite Jesse Jackson.

Lamont, Sharpton, Jackson, Pelosi, the new face of the Democratic Party.

Amen!  Sad day for America.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies