Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:55:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How long will Chauvin be sentenced?
40+ years

20-39 years

10-19 years

<10 years

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON)  (Read 42932 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: April 20, 2021, 03:05:27 PM »

I think the verdict will probably be guilty of third-degree murder. Second-degree would require a finding of intent to inflict pain or harm, which will always be difficult to prove in such a case unless the officer had been subjecting the victim to a stream of "I'm gonna get you good, sucker!"-type taunts.

Almost certainly not a total acquittal with so little deliberation, but possibly just manslaughter.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 06:55:19 PM »

You were never making people forget what they saw with their own eyes.

Justice was done. Now watch carefully for agitators trying to incite unrest anyway.

Fortunately, this isn't Philadelphia, which is infamous for rioting even when celebrating a victory.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 07:55:14 AM »

I think the verdict will probably be guilty of third-degree murder. Second-degree would require a finding of intent to inflict pain or harm, which will always be difficult to prove in such a case unless the officer had been subjecting the victim to a stream of "I'm gonna get you good, sucker!"-type taunts.

While I wasn't completely accurate in my prediction, I was in the minority of those here who thought he'd be convicted of a murder charge. While I understand why the defense tried to cast doubt upon the cause of death (it was essential if they were to have any hope of not being found guilty of the manslaughter charge) I didn't think they had done so. Given the facts as presented, that left only whether the jury would find there was sufficient evidence of intent to support the finding of assault needed for conviction of second-degree murder. I hadn't paid close enuf attention to the case to determine either that I would have convicted him of second-degree murder if I had been on the jury or that the jury was likely to so convict.

Note, I am not saying the jury was wrong in their decisions, just that I didn't pay enuf attention to decide on the second-degree charge. Determining intent beyond a reasonable doubt is always going to be difficult. Given past tendencies to give cops the benefit of doubt, I thought that would be the most difficult charge to prove.

Tho, in hindsight, swinging for the fences in trying to defeat the manslaughter charge probably made it more difficult to avoid conviction on the murder charges. If I thought my client could convincingly appear remorseful, then as a defense attorney, I'd have at least considered the possibility of essentially conceding the manslaughter charge and have my client show remorse to the jury in hopes of avoiding convictions on the murder charges. But it's awfully hard to show remorse for doing something you claim you didn't do.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 09:23:53 PM »

They think everyone will be drawn to their viewpoint.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 01:08:43 PM »

And fuzzy? By put up or shut up, we really mean shut up, because you can't put up. So shut up.

Look! There's a foreign looking Cloud you can yell at!
We all know he won’t respond and this just going to be another episode of “Fuzzy throws out an accusation, someone refutes his point, and he leaves the thread without responding”  

That’s better than a perpetual back and forth that goes nowhere and just creates huge quote chains that clog up the thread.

Better quote chains than blockchains!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies