Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:17:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25
Poll
Question: How long will Chauvin be sentenced?
40+ years

20-39 years

10-19 years

<10 years

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON)  (Read 42996 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: April 20, 2021, 07:15:38 PM »

You can hold this position at the same time :

- Chauvin should have been convicted

- What Waters said was terrible and censure worthy

They are not mutually exclusive at all
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #451 on: April 20, 2021, 07:19:35 PM »

Why are Republicans acting like they are one and the same? I've seen more outrage over Waters than the actual murder.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #452 on: April 20, 2021, 07:39:09 PM »

Why do they keep doing this?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #453 on: April 20, 2021, 07:44:22 PM »

I have no idea.
But I hate the verbiage some are using. People (and especially his loved ones) should want him alive and around them.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #454 on: April 20, 2021, 07:50:18 PM »

OJ Simpson says Derek Chauvin 'deserves' to be convicted for George Floyd's death
https://www.foxnews.com/us/oj-simpson-derek-chauvin-verdict-george-floyd-case

OJ Simpson on Tuesday said he believes former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin "deserves" to be convicted for the death of George Floyd, while also reacting to recent comments made by Rep. Maxine Waters, D-Calif., who is facing criticism for encouraging protesters to "stay on the street" and to "get more confrontational."

Simpson, 73, made the remarks in a video posted to his Twitter account with the caption: "Verdict Watch."

Jurors in the Chauvin trial began deliberations Monday after weeks of testimony from dozens of witnesses. He is charged with second-degree unintentional murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter in connection with the May 25, 2020 death of Floyd. The trial came after nearly a year of protests and riots over video footage showing Chauvin pinning his knee on Floyd's neck. A verdict was expected to be announced Tuesday.

In his video, Simpson said he hoped there is "some kind of verdict, a conviction. I think the man deserves it."
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #455 on: April 20, 2021, 07:51:23 PM »

I have no idea.
But I hate the verbiage some are using. People (and especially his loved ones) should want him alive and around them.

I am sure that they would prefer that he was still with them.  But since he's gone, I can see that there would be some comfort found in a loved one's death helping to achieve something meaningful.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #456 on: April 20, 2021, 07:51:38 PM »

American society’s heavy Christian influence and the major role resurrection plays as a central tenet to that system

The Floyd’s are religious, so it’s natural for them to think this way. “Everything happens for a reason” mindset
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #457 on: April 20, 2021, 07:51:59 PM »

I don't know that anyone should be gatekeeping the language used by the person/people closest to Floyd in the wake of this incident. (Politicians are a different story.)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #458 on: April 20, 2021, 08:00:49 PM »

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #459 on: April 20, 2021, 08:26:00 PM »

So I'm guessing he'll go to solitary confinement for his own protection?
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #460 on: April 20, 2021, 08:32:59 PM »

Very pleasantly surprised. It's so surreal to see an abusive police officer held accountable.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #461 on: April 20, 2021, 08:44:40 PM »

So I'm guessing he'll go to solitary confinement for his own protection?

It sucks to be that guy right now. Put him on suicide watch...he has no life anymore.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #462 on: April 20, 2021, 08:50:06 PM »

Why are Republicans acting like they are one and the same? I've seen more outrage over Waters than the actual murder.

I’m not
Motorcity

« Reply #463 on: April 20, 2021, 09:13:29 PM »

Thank god
Motorcity

« Reply #464 on: April 20, 2021, 09:14:23 PM »

I'm just going to call her a bitch and not be sorry about it. She's a racist bitch.
Your right. MTG is a racist bitch

When I called Kelly leoffler a bitch people attacked me
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #465 on: April 20, 2021, 09:15:11 PM »

So the mob gets its pound of flesh. Good for civil strife at least.

Roll Eyes

I thought prosecutors like you were supposed to celebrate when criminals were successfully convicted. I know I always did.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #466 on: April 20, 2021, 09:19:06 PM »

Does he serve for both 2nd and 3rd murder? Or would the judge give him a concurrent punishment?

I don't know Minnesota law, but I would almost surely believe that the sentences merge, meaning the state has to choose which of the three charges he must be sentenced on rather than them even running concurrent. Obviously they will choose the second degree murder charge.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #467 on: April 20, 2021, 09:24:06 PM »

Mayor frey with a pelosi-esque take.

What the hell are they doing?

Someone give Pelosi and Frey a 24-hour time out of saying anything to the media. Then extend that time out another 24 hours
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #468 on: April 20, 2021, 09:25:37 PM »

Does he serve for both 2nd and 3rd murder? Or would the judge give him a concurrent punishment?

I don't know Minnesota law, but I would almost surely believe that the sentences merge, meaning the state has to choose which of the three charges he must be sentenced on rather than them even running concurrent. Obviously they will choose the second degree murder charge.

Wouldn't he just serve what ever the longest sentence is:

Say he gets 5 years for Manslaughter, 15 for third degree murder and 25 for second degree murder wouldnt he basically be sentenced to 25 years.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #469 on: April 20, 2021, 09:35:52 PM »

How on Earth is what Maxine Waters said censure Worthy? Hot-headed? Unhelpful? Premature? Sure, all of the above. But on what basis does it meet the lofty requirements for an outright Congressional censure?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #470 on: April 20, 2021, 09:36:54 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2021, 09:46:29 PM by Badger »

I have no idea.

I am sure that they would prefer that he was still with them.  But since he's gone, I can see that there would be some comfort found in a loved one's death helping to achieve something meaningful.

Yeah, the place this is spoken from is much different than the tone-deaf attempts at martyrdom made by some politicians and organizations like the Raiders.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #471 on: April 20, 2021, 09:40:38 PM »

I didn't think I could hear support of the verdict from a less welcome source than OJ Simpson, but apparently I was wrong.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #472 on: April 20, 2021, 09:45:52 PM »

Say he gets 5 years for Manslaughter, 15 for third degree murder and 25 for second degree murder wouldnt he basically be sentenced to 25 years.

No for two reasons. First, as noted there is the concept of merger. You can't convicted someone more than once for the same offense. Violates Double Jeopardy. There are a million cases in every state as to what set of facts and charges do and do not constitute offenses requiring merger, but in this case I'm going to Hazard a guess even without knowing Minnesota law that they absolutely have to merge and the most he can be sentence on is the second degree murder charge.

Secondly, even there he will almost surely not get the maximum possible second degree murder penalty of 40 years. Apparently Minnesota has sentencing guidelines not unlike the federal system which set fairly strict limits on sentencing discretion, either to increase or decrease be presumed standard settings. By comparison sake, here in Ohio offense is generally have a range of a minimum X months or years and a maximum of Y months or years, and the judge has damn near carte blanche compose a sentence anywhere within that range they deem appropriate, and only true the extreme deviations from very broad generalized guidelines stand a chance on appeal.

Reportedly the presumed default sentence for second-degree murder is 12 1/2 years, but the state is seeking upward modification on various statutory guidelines such as the crime having been committed in front of a child.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #473 on: April 20, 2021, 09:55:43 PM »

No for two reasons. First, as noted there is the concept of merger. You can't convicted someone more than once for the same offense. Violates Double Jeopardy. There are a million cases in every state as to what set of facts and charges do and do not constitute offenses requiring merger, but in this case I'm going to Hazard a guess even without knowing Minnesota law that they absolutely have to merge and the most he can be sentence on is the second degree murder charge.

Secondly, even there he will almost surely not get the maximum possible second degree murder penalty of 40 years. Apparently Minnesota has sentencing guidelines not unlike the federal system which set fairly strict limits on sentencing discretion, either to increase or decrease be presumed standard settings. By comparison sake, here in Ohio offense is generally have a range of a minimum X months or years and a maximum of Y months or years, and the judge has damn near carte blanche compose a sentence anywhere within that range they deem appropriate, and only true the extreme deviations from very broad generalized guidelines stand a chance on appeal.

Reportedly the presumed default sentence for second-degree murder is 12 1/2 years, but the state is seeking upward modification on various statutory guidelines such as the crime having been committed in front of a child.

I’m not a legal expert but isn’t that what sentenced concurrently means where all the sentences run together at the same time so he would only really be sentenced to the most severe charge . I understand he won’t get the maximum sentence by 25 years is still 15 years shorter than the Maximum so is guidelines that in most cases the sentence for the offender has to be the minimum sentence .

Also 12.5 years for second degree seems relatively light  given that in many states people convicted of manslaughter have gotten 15 years and the minimum penalty for second degree murder is 25 years .

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #474 on: April 20, 2021, 10:05:27 PM »

I’m not a legal expert but isn’t that what sentenced concurrently means where all the sentences run together at the same time so he would only really be sentenced to the most severe charge . I understand he won’t get the maximum sentence by 25 years is still 15 years shorter than the Maximum so is guidelines that in most cases the sentence for the offender has to be the minimum sentence .

Also 12.5 years for second degree seems relatively light  given that in many states people convicted of manslaughter have gotten 15 years and the minimum penalty for second degree murder is 25 years .

The best I can say, again, is these offences seen that they would be merged for sentencing. That is he can only be sentenced on one of the three charges. For the same reason you in charge and even if someone found guilty of theft and receiving stolen property for the same Act of shoplifting, but you can't sentence them on both. Again, I only know Minnesota law for whatever it in the news, but I would be shocked if he could be sentenced, even concurrently, on each of the three counts. Furthermore, the media is reporting as far as likely a potential sentences for the second degree murder charge only, so it appears in fact the other charges won't come into play sentencing.

12 and a half years is only the mid-range standard settings. The state is requesting a more severe sentence based on multiple statutory aggravating factors. I can't imagine he'll only get 12 and a half years, even if the ultimate sense is closer to that than the theoretical maximum of 40.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies