Kentucky 2023 gubernatorial election megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 05:18:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Kentucky 2023 gubernatorial election megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 33
Poll
Question: Rate the 2023 Kentucky gubernatorial election
Safe D

Likely D

Lean D

Tossup/tilt D

Tossup/tilt R

Lean R

Likely R

Safe R

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 262

Author Topic: Kentucky 2023 gubernatorial election megathread  (Read 48316 times)
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: November 03, 2023, 03:49:22 PM »

Its interesting how one Emerson poll has changed the vibes of this race, ar least on the forum.

Same thing happened to the forum after one tweet with a news clip of a woman in Mississippi saying she's flipping to Presley. This site is too reactionary.

I remember how around September or so the 2024 presidential race seemed to have strongly shifted in Trump’s direction according to the site.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #526 on: November 03, 2023, 05:32:29 PM »

Its interesting how one Emerson poll has changed the vibes of this race, ar least on the forum.

Same thing happened to the forum after one tweet with a news clip of a woman in Mississippi saying she's flipping to Presley. This site is too reactionary.

Overreacting is one of our core competencies.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #527 on: November 03, 2023, 06:13:01 PM »

Overreacting is one of our core competencies.

Yep. I do think people were a bit too bullish on Beshear prior to the past couple of weeks, but some might be overcorrecting now, which is very common on here.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #528 on: November 03, 2023, 10:48:21 PM »

The KY posters may be able to confirm this, but my impression is that this race is slipping away from Beshear at the last minute.

Cameron has been far more on message in recent days, relentlessly nationalizing the race and painting Beshear as a national Democrat on two of the most unpopular political stances in the state: his support for Joe Biden and his support for draconian COVID lockdowns.

Previously, Beshear had managed to put Cameron on the defensive on abortion, his ties to Bevin, etc. while Cameron's own attacks were comparatively weak (e.g. on trans rights), but that seems to have changed, and it’s not good for Beshear.

Might turn into another example of "incumbent wishing the election had been held one week earlier."

I doubt Cameron is able to turn the race around in one week though.

It is more accurate to state Cameron has turned the race around already. He was tracking for a blowout loss.  The only question is whether, or not, his momentum will carry him to victory, or not.
EastwoodS

« Reply #529 on: November 03, 2023, 11:05:03 PM »

The KY posters may be able to confirm this, but my impression is that this race is slipping away from Beshear at the last minute.

Cameron has been far more on message in recent days, relentlessly nationalizing the race and painting Beshear as a national Democrat on two of the most unpopular political stances in the state: his support for Joe Biden and his support for draconian COVID lockdowns.

Previously, Beshear had managed to put Cameron on the defensive on abortion, his ties to Bevin, etc. while Cameron's own attacks were comparatively weak (e.g. on trans rights), but that seems to have changed, and it’s not good for Beshear.

Might turn into another example of "incumbent wishing the election had been held one week earlier."

It is more accurate to state Cameron has turned the race around already. He was tracking for a blowout loss.  The only question is whether, or not, his momentum will carry him to victory, or not.
Something in me doubts that it was ever really gonna be anything but close.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #530 on: November 04, 2023, 06:09:21 AM »

Inb4 someone says "MUH WHITMER" "MUH GRISHAM"
It still, even years later, baffles me just how reckless and nonchalant republicans demanded the government be during covid.
What I was trying to say is people would use the argument that because Whitmer outran biden significantly and Grisham didn't fair much worse than Biden that people stopped caring about c0vid restrictions, which I don't think is a great argument considering Polis crafted his whole image out of being more leniant on c0vid restrictions and he won by more than Biden as well. Sisolak, the only democratic incumbent governor to lose, was also infamous for his strict c0vid restrictions compared to other states.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #531 on: November 04, 2023, 07:52:39 AM »

This.  In a state that strongly favors one party, it's normal for there to be movement toward that party late in an election. 

Both of these things can be true: Beshear is still favored, but Cameron has closed the gap.
EastwoodS

« Reply #532 on: November 04, 2023, 11:25:29 AM »
« Edited: November 04, 2023, 11:29:37 AM by EastwoodS »

The early vote looks kinda rough for the Democrats I’m ngl. D+11 on day 1 and only D +2 on Friday. The weekend should show a revival for Dems.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #533 on: November 04, 2023, 11:28:47 AM »

This.  In a state that strongly favors one party, it's normal for there to be movement toward that party late in an election. 

Both of these things can be true: Beshear is still favored, but Cameron has closed the gap.

And, also, both of these things can be true; the poll showing Cameron ahead, including leaners, can be an accurate snapshot of the race as it stood when the poll was taken, as opposed to an outlier, and, Cameron has such momentum that he is the favorite.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #534 on: November 04, 2023, 11:45:00 AM »

And, also, both of these things can be true; the poll showing Cameron ahead, including leaners, can be an accurate snapshot of the race as it stood when the poll was taken, as opposed to an outlier, and, Cameron has such momentum that he is the favorite.

Beshear is very much still the favorite.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #535 on: November 04, 2023, 12:02:31 PM »

This presumes the poll is an outlier. If it isn't, Cameron is the favorite. Furthermore, the poll has almost certainly changed the race. Demoralized Republicans aren't going to be demoralized anymore. This should help Cameron's turnout. This is especially true after Donald Trump's enthusiastic endorsement. I don't know if the poll is an outlier, or not. Do you?

EastwoodS

« Reply #536 on: November 04, 2023, 12:03:56 PM »

This presumes the poll is an outlier. If it isn't, Cameron is the favorite. Furthermore, the poll has almost certainly changed the race. Demoralized Republicans aren't going to be demoralized anymore. This should help Cameron's turnout. This is especially true after Donald Trump's enthusiastic endorsement. I don't know if the poll is an outlier, or not. Do you?

The poll looks pretty decent and properly weighed
jvmh2009
Rookie
United States
« Reply #537 on: November 04, 2023, 12:07:40 PM »

Cameron may very well be the favorite but it has absolutely nothing to do with this poll..... a poll demoralizing or helping enthusiam is laughable. The amount of people that look at polls is small. The amount of people that analyze and critique and make wide wide ranging predictions from polls are much much smaller.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #538 on: November 04, 2023, 12:08:07 PM »

If the poll is accurate, the history of such momentum is that it builds rather than suddenly stalls and reverses. If so, Cameron is quite the favorite.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #539 on: November 04, 2023, 12:14:01 PM »

Cameron might well win this, but some of you are indulging in the long-held Atlas tradition of placing way too much importance on a single poll.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #540 on: November 04, 2023, 12:17:29 PM »

The polls is by a notoriously bad pollster whose final polls of 2022 overestimated Republicans across the board.
EastwoodS

« Reply #541 on: November 04, 2023, 12:18:22 PM »

The polls is by a notoriously bad pollster whose final polls of 2022 overestimated Republicans across the board.
Oh. Don’t care. I still believe what I believe.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #542 on: November 04, 2023, 12:24:20 PM »

Cameron might well win this, but some of you are indulging in the long-held Atlas tradition of placing way too much importance on a single poll.

I don't know for sure if the poll is accurate, an outlier, or overly Bashear-friendly. That said, it is equally true that some folks here are engaging in another Atlas tradition of putting hopiem over the data. That poll, for better or worse, is the current data set.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #543 on: November 04, 2023, 12:28:28 PM »

I don't know for sure if the poll is accurate, an outlier, or overly Bashear-friendly. That said, it is equally true that some folks here are engaging in another Atlas tradition of putting hopiem over the data. That poll, for better or worse, is the current data set.

No, it is one element of the current data set.  As it's the most recent poll, it's indeed fair to place more weight on it than older polls, but it does not invalidate them.  Put it this way: if another poll should come out with later survey dates that shows (for example) Beshear+5, would that then become the current data set and invalidate the Emerson poll?
BigSkyBob

« Reply #544 on: November 04, 2023, 12:29:50 PM »

FiveThirtyEight rates Emerson A- with a slight Democratic bias.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #545 on: November 04, 2023, 12:31:47 PM »

Then why would they suddenly be more accurate in 2023 than in 2022?
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #546 on: November 04, 2023, 01:02:53 PM »

We don't know, Emerson could be more accurate this time or less. The answer will be out in a few more days.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #547 on: November 04, 2023, 01:06:49 PM »

Because the herd of pollsters all overrated Republicans in 2022.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #548 on: November 04, 2023, 01:10:33 PM »

No, it is one element of the current data set.  As it's the most recent poll, it's indeed fair to place more weight on it than older polls, but it does not invalidate them.  Put it this way: if another poll should come out with later survey dates that shows (for example) Beshear+5, would that then become the current data set and invalidate the Emerson poll?

Well, if a subsequent poll is evidence that this poll is an outlier, then, the outlier assumption would be buttressed. If a subsequent poll shows Cameron ahead five, the outlier assumption would tend to be disproven. What's your point?
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #549 on: November 04, 2023, 01:24:04 PM »

No, it is one element of the current data set.  As it's the most recent poll, it's indeed fair to place more weight on it than older polls, but it does not invalidate them.  Put it this way: if another poll should come out with later survey dates that shows (for example) Beshear+5, would that then become the current data set and invalidate the Emerson poll?

Well, if a subsequent poll is evidence that this poll is an outlier, then, the outlier assumption would be buttressed. If a subsequent poll shows Cameron ahead five, the outlier assumption would tend to be disproven. What's your point?

My point is that it's not good to rely overly much on any single poll (which is not to deny that some pollsters, and therefore some polls, are better than others).  The hypothetical newer poll might or might not be itself an outlier.  It's also important to remember that (a) the margin of error is real, and it applies to each candidate's vote share (not the margin between them), and (b) even if a pollster does everything absolutely right, 5% of polls will be wrong outside the MoE.  This is why there are polling averages.  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 33  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies