Why Won't Bobby Casey Debate Santorum?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 05:47:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Why Won't Bobby Casey Debate Santorum?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Why Won't Bobby Casey Debate Santorum?  (Read 16159 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 18, 2006, 02:03:24 PM »

This is a story that has gone largely unnoticed, but I have a moment and I would like to take the time to ask all people to join us in the effort to get Little Bobby out of his father's shadow

So far, three news organizations from around the state - one in Pittsburgh (KDKA) and two in Philadelphia - and shows on three major cable news outlets - CNN, Fox, MSNBC, have offered to host a debate between Senator Santorum and State Treasurer-elect (he still hasn't acctually taken the job) Casey.  Santorum has accepted every and any invitation, Casey has run away from commenting.

So, if Santorum is such a wild fringe asshole who is the sun of Satan, and who most people would dislike upon looking at him, and Casey is such a dynamic, heroic figure, in the lineage of Aristotle, Mother Teresa and Winston Churchill... why won't he appear face to face with the Senator and acctually talk about...

*GASP*

Ideas... I know that is a four letter word to the Casey camp... but I thought thats what elections were supposed to be about.

They couldn't possibly be worried that their candidate isn't all he is cracked up to be, could they?  They are not worried about the fact that he has no real record or leadership expirience to speak of, are they?

Of course, not.  So I ask again, why won't he debate Santorum?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 02:05:11 PM »

Because he's a bad debator?  Or maybe because people will call him "Bobby."
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 02:08:11 PM »

Because he's a bad debator?  Or maybe because people will call him "Bobby."

Yeah... he is affraid, like I said.

I don't care if you don't like Santorum, but Casey is a shell of what his father was.  Put Casey on the stage with Santorum and Casey will finally be made out to be what he really is...

---------------
  This big
---------------
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 02:12:06 PM »

He's probably a bad debator and doesn't need the debates in order to win. Richard Nixon and Lyndon Johnson employed the same tactics in 1968 and 1964 respectively. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 02:14:45 PM »

He'll have debate sometime. While most of the people won't even watch, they will care if it seems like Bobby (we don't call him Bob, Alcon, because it remind people too much of his father) is running away. I wish we could have all of these debates especially the national ones like Meet the Press but Casey's camp will likely agree to a max of three debates with none of them being nationall televised.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 02:18:47 PM »

So, if Santorum is such a wild fringe asshole who is the sun of Satan, and who most people would dislike upon looking at him, and Casey is such a dynamic, heroic figure, in the lineage of Aristotle, Mother Teresa and Winston Churchill... why won't he appear face to face with the Senator and acctually talk about...
*GASP*
Ideas...

So I ask again, why won't he debate Santorum?
Because Casey is such a dynamic, heroic figure in the lineage of Aristotle (that grovelling vile slimebag. Look at the madman he raised.) Mother Teresa (bit too in-your-face holy for my taste, but in worse company than she deserved here obviously) and Winston Churchill (who from Pearl Harbour on did all he could to blow WWII, and then some), while Santorum is such a wild fringe asshole who is the Son of Satan, and whom most people would dislike upon looking at him, so he's obviously not worthy of sharing a stage with Casey.

Honestly though... what are the excuses made up reasons given for the refusals?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 02:27:22 PM »

Honestly though... what are the excuses made up reasons given for the refusals?

I'm pretty sure that they agreed to debates but don't get specific as to where/when.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 02:33:09 PM »

Because he has no balls and cant debate for crap, duh.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 02:54:03 PM »

Guys, come on.  He's a politician.  Just because he's a poor debator doesn't mean he'd be an inferior Senator.

If Santorum was the inferior debator, he'd probably do the same thing.  Politicians do what their people say is best for their campaign.  I don't like it, but you're all basically calling him out to the schoolyard corner and yelling "pussy!  Pussy!" at him. 

I think it's cowardly too, but Freudian implications of him being...

---
This big
---

...or having no balls, or whatever, aside, I'd still vote for him if I thought he'd be the superior senator.
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 02:58:05 PM »

Guys, come on.  I don't like it, but you're all basically calling him out to the schoolyard corner and yelling "pussy!  Pussy!" at him. 

---
This big
---

How big is that again? Smiley

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 03:01:06 PM »

Guys, come on.  He's a politician.  Just because he's a poor debator doesn't mean he'd be an inferior Senator.

If Santorum was the inferior debator, he'd probably do the same thing.  Politicians do what their people say is best for their campaign.  I don't like it, but you're all basically calling him out to the schoolyard corner and yelling "pussy!  Pussy!" at him. 

---
This big
---

...or having no balls, or whatever, aside, I'd still vote for him if I thought he'd be the superior senator.

Acctually, I wasn't using Freudian implications at all.  I was basically saying that he is nothing.  An insect.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2006, 03:06:27 PM »

He's probably a bad debator and doesn't need the debates in order to win. Richard Nixon and Lyndon Johnson employed the same tactics in 1968 and 1964 respectively. 

The reason that they didn't debate was because it wasn't esstablished practice at the time.  Kennedy/Nixon was the first time anyone had debated and it wasn't expected.

Ford challenge Carter in 76, cause he thought he would crush Carter.  And Carter challenged Reagan in 80 cause he figured Reagan was just an actor who didn't know anything and couldn't think on his feet.

Oddly enough, since then, the debate has been seen as a benefit to the challenger, because it elevates him onto the same platform as the officeholder.  The fact that Casey is ducking just shows that he is a coward, because the challenger can always do a little worse in the dabate and come off looking better, just because he was there.  Casey is worried that he will get crushed, cause he knows he isn't gonna last five seconds in the ring with Santorum.  That's why he won't do it.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2006, 03:08:23 PM »

I don't like it, but you're all basically calling him out to the schoolyard corner and yelling "pussy!  Pussy!" at him. 

Right, because he doesn't have his people/connected groups attacking Santorum constantly. At least the Senator wants a debate instead of having ideological groups doing all the attacking for him. I love how Bobby is able to keep up this pristine image and allow his special interest groups to attack Santorum. Yeah, I know all sides do it but that doesn't make it any better. So as long as he sits on his hands in regards to a debate while attacking Santorum at the same time, you bet we'll attack him.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2006, 03:13:38 PM »

The answer to this question lies within your first sentence Super.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Casey is still up by alot albeit his numbers are falling as expected, he doesn't want to killed by Santorum right now in a debate.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2006, 04:00:20 PM »

Gee ... let's think about this.  Why won't someone with a double digit lead debate?  Hmm ... let's think for about 5 seconds.  Umm ... because doing so would be ridiculous!  It is simple political calculus.  Any campaign manager who would advise his candidate to risk a double digit lead by debating an incumbant with more money isn't worth his salt!

Hey Soulty, have you ever played any of the election simulation games?  Do you risk your lead with a needless debate?

Slick Rick is getting his butt kicked because, quite frankly, he's proven he's an extremist who is out of touch with the values of most PA voters.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2006, 04:06:24 PM »

two reasons:

1.  he is a rockhead
2.  his ideas are mostly stupid
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2006, 04:13:38 PM »

two reasons:

1.  he is a rockhead

Would you like a nice piave or gouda with that?
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2006, 04:23:29 PM »

two reasons:

1.  he is a rockhead

Funny.  A lot of people say the same about Santorum.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2006, 04:30:38 PM »

two reasons:

1.  he is a rockhead

Funny.  A lot of people say the same about Santorum.

maybe number 2, but not number 1.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2006, 04:36:08 PM »

The fact is that this campaign is so ridiculous that it has acctually reenvigorated my support for Rick.  Two months ago, I didn't think that was possible.  Casey has proved himself to be so weak-kneed, so mean spirited, and so disengaged that Santorum looks great by comparison.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2006, 05:12:13 PM »
« Edited: July 18, 2006, 05:23:03 PM by nickshepDEM »

If you ask me, its down right pathetic that an incumbent senator has put himself in such a bad position that he's forced to beg his opponent for debates.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2006, 05:17:43 PM »

This boils down to the Casey campaign seeing no reason to blow a big lead through a poor debate performance that could provide fresh impetus for the Santorum campaign.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2006, 05:37:51 PM »

Why would anyone want to be in the same room with a man who brings a newborn's corpse home for his children to play with?

He should debate him and in every statement he should say.  "Well at least I never brought a corpse home for my children to play with."
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2006, 08:08:15 PM »

Why would anyone want to be in the same room with a man who brings a newborn's corpse home for his children to play with?

He should debate him and in every statement he should say.  "Well at least I never brought a corpse home for my children to play with."

This is why I hate people like you. I hate when people make up stuff about this sensitive issue. First of all, that's not your business. Secondly, he didn't bring a corpse home to play with. I'm glad you can make something like this into a joke.

By the way, Casey responding with that would be so mature and well received.  Roll Eyes
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2006, 10:09:37 PM »

Why should he? He obviously doesn't need to to win.

If you ask me, its down right pathetic that an incumbent senator has put himself in such a bad position that he's forced to beg his opponent for debates.

^^^^^^^^^^
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies