Why Won't Bobby Casey Debate Santorum?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 05:42:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Why Won't Bobby Casey Debate Santorum?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Why Won't Bobby Casey Debate Santorum?  (Read 16120 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2006, 10:21:28 PM »

If you ask me, its down right pathetic that an incumbent senator has put himself in such a bad position that he's forced to beg his opponent for debates.

Ummm... who is begging.  Santorum has merely accepted a million debate invitations and Casey none.  I think it is not unreasonable to ask why the little boy won't debate.

Anyway, I think it is pathetic that challenger is such a bag of fluff that he is affraid to even be seen near his opponent.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2006, 10:27:11 PM »

This boils down to the Casey campaign seeing no reason to blow a big lead through a poor debate performance that could provide fresh impetus for the Santorum campaign.

This boils down to the Casey camp ducking a shot to have the voters acctually compare and contrast the beliefs of the two candidates.

This boils down to interest groups demonizing Santorum, when it is Casey that people should be pissed off at, because he is denying people the chance to actually make an informed decision without having to make the other guy look like Damian.

And personally, I think that anyone who says "what should we expect ought to be ashamed of themselves, because they have acctually allowed their expectations of leadership degrade so far that they are willing to accept this as being par for the course.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2006, 12:20:21 AM »

This boils down to the Casey camp ducking a shot to have the voters acctually compare and contrast the beliefs of the two candidates.

Yeah, it doesn't have anything to do with smart campaigning, right?

If voters want to a contrast the candidates they can do so, they don't need a debate.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2006, 12:36:50 AM »
« Edited: July 19, 2006, 01:26:59 AM by Progress »

It is ok cause I hate anyone who would bring a corpse home for their children to play with.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A61804-2005Apr17.html

Its not a joke.  He is a very sick human being and people who support bringing a corpse home to hug kiss and play with are very sick human beings.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2006, 01:34:20 AM »
« Edited: July 19, 2006, 01:36:42 AM by Supersoulty »

It is ok cause I hate anyone who would bring a corpse home for their children to play with.

Its not a joke.  He is a very sick human being and people who support bringing a corpse home to hug kiss and play with are very sick human beings.

First off, they didn't "play" with him. 

Second... I'm sorry, but I forgot... at what point did you ever lose a child?

P.S.  And personally, I really don't think that that is really all the abnormal anyway.  Would I do it, probably not, but I have never had one of my children die either.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2006, 02:19:18 AM »

Where in that article does it say that Santorum had his children play with the corpse? The idea that he played with the child is made up and your article, which I've read several times, doesn't say a thing about it.

I don't care if you personally wouldn't do such a thing but to make this into a public issue and make fun of the man for it is wrong. Rick and Karen obviously care very much about their children and thought that bringing Gabriel into their home would bring more personal closure. Again, you don't have to agree with what they did and you can even say it is completely weird but don't make him out to be some evil man for this.

Years ago people would have viewings in their own homes. To this day people will take pictures of the corpse (something I am personally weirded out by) and maybe say something to the deceased as they walk by. I don't make it a point to call these people out for this behavior. I certainly wouldn't write an article or mock Bob Casey if one of his daughters died and he did something similar.

All I ask of people that dislike this man is that they don't use this as a point against him. I hate when he is called a homophobe and a nutty religious extremist but I'd rather you call him that every single day up until this election instead of bringing this up. I hate this issue. I hate how a teacher at my high school brought this up to one of the government classes and turned it into a sick joke. This issue is used for entertainment and I am tired of it.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2006, 03:06:05 AM »
« Edited: July 19, 2006, 03:07:37 AM by Progress »

First of all, that's not your business.

Sorry when an elected official does something this ing crazy it is my business.  This man is in control of the lives of many people and he brought a dead corpse home for his children to hug and kiss after sleeping with it.  He is a crazy person one step away from keeping the corpse in his freezer.  He should be in an insane asylum not in the Senate.

It talks about them bringing the baby home and singing to it etc.

No bringing a baby home to play with it is wrong.  Defending someone who brings a corpse home for his children to play with is wrong.  He is a ing whacko and his defenders are ing whackos. 

And?  Bringing the corpse home is crazy.  One step from keeping it in the freezer. 

Well he is evil for lots of reasons but this is just an example of why he is bat sh**t crazy.

Thats a shame cause if he brought a dead corpse home for his children to sing songs to and hug and kiss he would deserve to be pointed out as a crazy person just like Santorum deserves to be pointed out as a crazy person not deserving to sit in the Senate.

Use it against him?  It should be used against him.  It should be used against him to put him in an insane asylum.  What kinda creepy whacked out person brings a corpse home for their children to play with?

Well he is those things.  But he is also a crazy person who brings corpses home for his children to play with.

Entertainment?  Its not entertainment it is disgusting and one of the creepiest things I have ever heard of someone doing.  I cant believe you can actually support someone who brings corpses home for his children to play with.  What kinda whacked out person does something like that?

Do bring corpses home for your loved ones to sing songs to and sleep with them in your bed?
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2006, 05:57:41 AM »
« Edited: July 19, 2006, 07:28:38 AM by nickshepDEM »

If you ask me, its down right pathetic that an incumbent senator has put himself in such a bad position that he's forced to beg his opponent for debates.

Ummm... who is begging.  Santorum has merely accepted a million debate invitations and Casey none.  I think it is not unreasonable to ask why the little boy won't debate.

Anyway, I think it is pathetic that challenger is such a bag of fluff that he is affraid to even be seen near his opponent.

Ummm... Santorum was begging for debates before the democratic primary had ended.  Again, dont put yourself in the positon as America's most unpopular senator, and you wont be forced to beg/ask/harass (whatever word you prefer) the challanger for debates.
MissCatholic

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2006, 08:26:46 AM »

Because hes winning!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2006, 08:29:00 AM »

Sorry when an elected official does something this ing crazy it is my business.  This man is in control of the lives of many people and he brought a dead corpse home for his children to hug and kiss after sleeping with it.  He is a crazy person one step away from keeping the corpse in his freezer.  He should be in an insane asylum not in the Senate.

Again, you make things up and that's what the rest of your post is about so I'm going to let this go. You are the sick individual who will never accept facts and will always be driven by hatred of an individual even when that individual is hurt by personal matters. Just hope you never have to deal with what his family had to deal with. Just hope your family doesn't decide to do something unconventional when someone you love passes away.

Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2006, 10:28:52 AM »

By the way, Casey responding with that would be so mature and well received.  Roll Eyes

He wouldnt Roll Eyes

I'm not a huge fan of "Rick" and am very fond of "Bobby-C" but neither of them are idiots both are public spirited and care deeply, I just wish more people could extent a reasonable assumption of "good faith" to those they disagree with...

...indeed didnt Barack Obama say somthing along those lines a few weeks back? But then again he's echoing sentiments from a number of sources.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2006, 11:36:27 AM »

I'm not a huge fan of "Rick" and am very fond of "Bobby-C" but neither of them are idiots both are public spirited and care deeply, I just wish more people could extent a reasonable assumption of "good faith" to those they disagree with...

I used to have great respect for Casey until this campaign. He is the puppet of the national Dems and special interests. He has his campaign go into attack mode and then hardly ever talks about where he stands. Now I can't stand him. If he loses, I'll even dedicate time in 2008 to see him defeated for State Treasurer. It probably won't happen but I'd love to see him completely fall apart.

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2006, 12:30:30 PM »

First of all, that's not your business.

It talks about them bringing the baby home and singing to it etc.

No bringing a baby home to play with it is wrong.  Defending someone who brings a corpse home for his children to play with is wrong.  He is a ing whacko and his defenders are ing whackos. 

And?  Bringing the corpse home is crazy.  One step from keeping it in the freezer. 

Well he is evil for lots of reasons but this is just an example of why he is bat sh**t crazy.

Thats a shame cause if he brought a dead corpse home for his children to sing songs to and hug and kiss he would deserve to be pointed out as a crazy person just like Santorum deserves to be pointed out as a crazy person not deserving to sit in the Senate.

Use it against him?  It should be used against him.  It should be used against him to put him in an insane asylum.  What kinda creepy whacked out person brings a corpse home for their children to play with?

Well he is those things.  But he is also a crazy person who brings corpses home for his children to play with.

Entertainment?  Its not entertainment it is disgusting and one of the creepiest things I have ever heard of someone doing.  I cant believe you can actually support someone who brings corpses home for his children to play with.  What kinda whacked out person does something like that?

Do bring corpses home for your loved ones to sing songs to and sleep with them in your bed?

So... answer my question "Progress"... how many children have you lost?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2006, 12:37:34 PM »

Ummm... Santorum was begging for debates before the democratic primary had ended.  Again, dont put yourself in the positon as America's most unpopular senator, and you wont be forced to beg/ask/harass (whatever word you prefer) the challanger for debates.

It's not begging... it should be expected.  I'm sorry that you are so blinded by partisan hatred that you can't even bring yourself to expect the expected anymore, when it doesn't look good for a Democrat.

As for Santorum "putting himself" in this possition.  He shouldn't be sorry for sticking up for what he believes in, and it is the media that should be sorry for targeting him for destruction.  I don't recall that being hte job of the media.

Face it... Casey is a weak ass candidate who has a name.  And even if he weren't running against Santorum, he would be doing basically the same thing, because that name has worked for him in the past.

He is nothing like his father.  Gov. Casey was a real man, who believed in doing the right thing and sticking up for himself and what he believed in.  That's why people in this state loved him so much and continue to love him.  Casey Sr. challenged the democrat party on the issue of abortion and got exiled from the convention for it.  Casey Jr. won't even defen his views in front of the opposition that the kind of gutless person he is.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2006, 12:43:44 PM »

Keep saying that to yourself once Senator Casey is sworn in, maybe you can fool yourself into thinking it makes an ounce of difference.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2006, 12:47:29 PM »

Ok Soulty, so answer my question ... would you advise a candidate with a double digit lead to risk a debate?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2006, 12:55:25 PM »

Ok Soulty, so answer my question ... would you advise a candidate with a double digit lead to risk a debate?

If I were the candidate, I would never hesitate to debate any opponent who had better than 10%
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2006, 12:59:35 PM »

Keep saying that to yourself once Senator Casey is sworn in, maybe you can fool yourself into thinking it makes an ounce of difference.

And there in lies the problem.  Elections are supposed to be about electing good leaders.  Casey will make an awful Senator.  Santorum might not be great, but at least he is good, which is a lot more than I can say about lil Bobby.

The democrats don't care about electing a good Senator, or else they never would have gone to Casey in the first place.  All the care about is beating Santorum, and the way this campaign is being run absolutly reaks of that sentiment.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2006, 01:02:43 PM »

If I were the candidate, I would never hesitate to debate any opponent who had better than 10%

If you were the campaign manager for a candidate w/ a double digit lead would you advise them to debate their opponent?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2006, 01:04:30 PM »

If you were the campaign manager for a candidate w/ a double digit lead would you advise them to debate their opponent?

If I were the candidate and my campaign manager told me not to debate, I would tell them to shut up.  A real leader doesn't want to be "handled" and that is exactly the point.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2006, 03:00:52 PM »

One hundred and eleven..........

When my brother died my parents didnt bring him home to sing songs to him and let us hug and kiss him.  Nor would I ever bring a corpse home to play with.  But then again I'm not absolutely insane like Santorum.

At least he has an excuse for his American Taliban beliefs and his warmongering.  He cant be expected to know better cause he is clearly bat sh*t insane.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2006, 04:23:00 PM »

If I were the candidate and my campaign manager told me not to debate, I would tell them to shut up.  A real leader doesn't want to be "handled" and that is exactly the point.

Well that is a bit of a dodging the question, isn't it?  Unlike a Presidential debate, Senatorial debates are not as widely seen.  There is no great outcry for a debate (except from the Santorum campaign).  It would honestly be foolhardy for Casey to risk his lead.

Also, do you truly believe the measure of a leader is how well they do in a debate?  If that's the case then how the heck can you possibly support Bush?  The man has the debating skill of a drunken cowboy.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2006, 05:02:33 PM »

Well that is a bit of a dodging the question, isn't it?  Unlike a Presidential debate, Senatorial debates are not as widely seen.  There is no great outcry for a debate (except from the Santorum campaign).  It would honestly be foolhardy for Casey to risk his lead.

Also, do you truly believe the measure of a leader is how well they do in a debate?  If that's the case then how the heck can you possibly support Bush?  The man has the debating skill of a drunken cowboy.

No, it isn't.  That is my answer to your question.  You just don't like my answer.

And no, I don't believe that.  But I think anyone who is confident of his veiws and himself would at least stand up there and face the possibility of taking a hit, so that the people can compare the two canadidates side-by-side.

The problem is, this is Casey is running his whole campaign.  He is staying out of the light and running on name only, while he has other people viciously attack Santorum.  If you think that is indicative of a good leader, then fine, but I sure as Hell don't.

Part of the problem is that, not only is Casey affraid to debate, for fear of how he might look, but he is also affraid that a debate might acctually humanize Santorum, which is the exact opposite of what he wants.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2006, 07:30:55 PM »

No, it isn't.  That is my answer to your question.  You just don't like my answer.

No, an answer would be "yes I would always advise my candidate to debate" or "no, I wouldn't risk the lead".  Would you tell Bob Dole to debate Mario Cuomo?

You're clearly a fervent Santorum supporter.  Instead of whining about the fact that Casey is running a good campaign, maybe you should ask yourself why there is so little support for Santorum.  The answer is simple.  Santorum has proven he's an extremist.  PA doesn't like extremists.  We like moderates.  John Heinz, Bob Casey, Arlen Specter .... these are the type of politicians PA elects.  Santorum is closer to the values of Alabama or Utah.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2006, 07:33:23 PM »

Easy answer

If Casey opens his mouth, he will lose.

Interesting news I heard though.  I intern at my local Republican congressman's office, and we were discussing Casey vs Santorum.  I said right now Casey is leading by about 10-15pts, but everyone in the office was telling me that Santorum internal polling had it much closer.  Was this just Republican spin, or is it actually closer than we think?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies