Manchin says no to new round of $2k cheques (update: not quite)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 03:59:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Manchin says no to new round of $2k cheques (update: not quite)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: Manchin says no to new round of $2k cheques (update: not quite)  (Read 6008 times)
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2021, 02:49:00 PM »

Yeah, this is bizarre. This would be a popular position for the large majority of West Virginians, or at least every single one who could ever possibly conceivably even consider voting for manchin.

What's more, what is he have to lose? Surely he's not going to attempt reelection again in for years. He'll be too old, and even he probably can't pull off another narrow victory The Way West Virginia continues trending Republican.

Seriously, WTF Joe.

He’s obviously voting his conscience. Unfortunately, his conscience is really goddamn dumb.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #101 on: January 08, 2021, 02:53:42 PM »

Are people seriously pretending that giving $2k to literally everyone is better than targeting support to people who lost their jobs?

Yes.

Targeted relief is notoriously bad at actually getting money to the people you're trying to reach. The government doesn't have perfect information.

Also, countries are in recession right now and have enormous fiscal headroom, so other than some sort of moral objection there's no cost to getting checks out to even people who don't need the money.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #102 on: January 08, 2021, 02:54:58 PM »

At the end of the day, Joe Manchin always toes the party line when he’s needed to.

So yeah he's probably going to go along with it eventually but just wants more pork for WV. With Manchin as the deciding vote on so many things, the next 4 years could see West Virginia transformed from an impoverished backwater of dying mining towns to a land of gleaming skyscrapers and high-speed trains, if Manchin can play his cards right.

2 years. 2022 is likely a 2018 redux (POTUS party gains Senate, loses House)
I mean it's not likely that Dems gain seats in the senate really. NH, AZ, NV are legitimately vulnerable and probably more likely to flip than most R held seats.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #103 on: January 08, 2021, 02:59:26 PM »

I hope he switches parties at this point. I'm fed up with him. He is better than the alternatives in WV, but that makes our work in 2022 to get actual Democrats elected to rebuild the Senate majority even more important. We should consider him a no on just about every crucial piece of legislation for the next 2 years and work to bring Romney or Murkowski on board in his place.

R2D2 I know you're just mad, but you know that this is stupidity.

Ok, I reacted out of anger and my post is stupid in retrospect. But I don't take these things lightly. It's frustrating to see how hard we worked to get Biden elected and get Warnock and Ossoff elected just to have Manchin playing politics here. I don't want to waste at least the next 2 years playing politics. I want to get sh*t done.

Don't worry Manchin is just pulling his schtick.

He's taking dead aim at the GOP majority.

I don't really give much of a toss if this is his 'schtick'. He's undermining Schumer, Pelosi and Biden and weakening their negotiating power with less than two weeks to the inauguration so he can get political capital for himself. All McConnell has to do is exercise enough party control for every Republican to vote no (which is very possible) and it dies on the floor of the Senate because one guy wanted to cut off his nose to spite his face.
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #104 on: January 08, 2021, 03:09:09 PM »

West Virginians—residents of America’s wealthiest state—turn their noses up at the laughably low $2,000 figure.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #105 on: January 08, 2021, 03:12:43 PM »

This makes no sense politically.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #106 on: January 08, 2021, 04:20:07 PM »

NPR

Please come back. Please, please come back.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #107 on: January 08, 2021, 04:23:08 PM »

Jeff Stein is such a ing hack. Why does he constantly take Democrats' statements out of context to cause controversy?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #108 on: January 08, 2021, 04:28:33 PM »

Jeff Stein is such a ing hack. Why does he constantly take Democrats' statements out of context to cause controversy?

I think you just answered your own question Tongue
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #109 on: January 08, 2021, 04:58:52 PM »

But IndyRep told me Manchin was going to abolish the filibuster and pack the court.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #110 on: January 08, 2021, 05:00:32 PM »

A bunch of Malarkey, Munchkin!

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #111 on: January 08, 2021, 05:13:46 PM »

If Murkowski is serious about flirting with switching (and if she's not, she'll forcefully deny tonight), we are probably looking at a 53-49 Senate in a few months, with a big question mark over Puerto Rico. I doubt calls for Hawley and Cruz to resign go anywhere.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #112 on: January 08, 2021, 05:19:18 PM »

I thought dems cared about us
Anti-Trump Truth Socialite JD Vance Enjoying Juror
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #113 on: January 08, 2021, 05:25:21 PM »

Yeah, the Democrats only have 98% approval for the checks, not 100%. That proves that they don't care! I know how to make good arguments!
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #114 on: January 08, 2021, 05:27:24 PM »

Yeah, the Democrats only have 98% approval for the checks, not 100%. That proves that they don't care! I know how to make good arguments!

Dems voted with McConnell to stop the vote
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #115 on: January 08, 2021, 05:37:38 PM »

So typical for him to make himself the center of attention like this.

Massive HP, routinely voted for HP legislation that weren't vital to his legislation. 2k checks are popular in WV

And opposed by House Republicans Mooney (WV-02) and Miller (WV-03), with support from Rep. McKinley (WV-01)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #116 on: January 08, 2021, 06:17:35 PM »

Make it $4k for West Virginians, $2k for everyone else and that's a deal Tongue
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #117 on: January 08, 2021, 06:28:39 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I haven't read through the thread) but doesn't he always side with Republicans on issues he won't be the deciding vote on?
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #118 on: January 08, 2021, 06:37:03 PM »

Irritating but to be expected. This will be an interesting test of just how fraudulent Hawley is.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #119 on: January 08, 2021, 06:57:52 PM »

Our Governor is trying to get a $600 stimulus to pass in our state for lower income individuals.

That would include immigrants living in the country illegally who file taxes with the state.

I'm all for it.

Biden will get the Fed stimulus to pass, just wait and see.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #120 on: January 08, 2021, 07:36:05 PM »

Are people seriously pretending that giving $2k to literally everyone is better than targeting support to people who lost their jobs?

Yes.

Targeted relief is notoriously bad at actually getting money to the people you're trying to reach. The government doesn't have perfect information.

Also, countries are in recession right now and have enormous fiscal headroom, so other than some sort of moral objection there's no cost to getting checks out to even people who don't need the money.

The vast majority of people don't need the money. And even those that do will get by without it, as people always do.

As I've mentioned before, I'm fine with giving everyone money right now, but it needs to be clawed back next year through the tax system.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #121 on: January 08, 2021, 08:18:14 PM »

It's on the Republicans now. Some were for it when Trump proposed it, will they still when Biden and a Democratic trifecta may reap the credit for it?
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #122 on: January 08, 2021, 08:22:28 PM »

Manchin is the best you're gonna get out of WV. Compare his voting record to Moore Capito's.
This defense doesn't really work in the context of Manchin going out of his way to risk his seat by taking a very unpopular opinion.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #123 on: January 08, 2021, 08:31:31 PM »

Manchin is the best you're gonna get out of WV. Compare his voting record to Moore Capito's.
This defense doesn't really work in the context of Manchin going out of his way to risk his seat by taking a very unpopular opinion.
Bold of you to assume WV voters will care about $2k checks on Election Day 2024.
Manchin ain't risking anything.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #124 on: January 08, 2021, 08:40:27 PM »

Bold of you to assume WV voters will care about $2k checks on Election Day 2024.
Manchin ain't risking anything.

True. Same goes for the electoral vote certification. American voters are very shortsighted. Only the most immediate issues before election day will matter in 2022.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies