Trump 2nd Impeachment News/Talk Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 08:04:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump 2nd Impeachment News/Talk Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 ... 118
Poll
Question: Should Congress impeach Trump again?
Yes, and let Pence finish the term

Yes, and also Pence

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 347

Author Topic: Trump 2nd Impeachment News/Talk Megathread  (Read 163201 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2025 on: January 31, 2021, 01:05:56 PM »

The results of a conviction is very small, Trump loses his Govt pension and can't run for office.

He can be disqualified from future federal offices, but I don't think he would even lose his pension on a conviction.  The relevant section of the Former Presidents Act is:

(f) As used in this section, the term “former President” means a person--

(1) who shall have held the office of President of the United States of America;

(2) whose service in such office shall have terminated other than by removal pursuant to section 4 of article II of the Constitution of the United States of America; and

(3) who does not then currently hold such office.

https://www.archives.gov/about/laws/former-presidents.html

Even if Trump is convicted in the Senate trial, his term will have ended due to its expiration, not by removal.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2026 on: January 31, 2021, 01:07:22 PM »

2. I can't believe Trump really believes that the election being stolen is a defense to his actions. The remedy is not violence.

Both 1 and 2 are probably true.

Well, if the election was in fact stolen by massive fraud and the legal system would not entertain challenges, then overthrowing the government would be a justifiable recourse.

But he has to prove that there was actually massive fraud. He can't do this because it didn't happen, and his lawyers (maybe him, who knows) will look like fools before the Senate while trying and increase the chance of his conviction. This proves though that Trump was not merely grifting post-election and truly believes that the election was stolen from him.

The defense of assuming arguendo that the election was stolen, and the courts, each and every one of them, wrongfully denied redress, then the storming of the Capitol to stop by violence the count of the electors is justified, and therefore even if Trump incited violence, that is an act of a freedom fighter, will not work out well for Trump. JMO.

I agree, it won't work out well for him in our universe where the coup failed. But from a purely moral perspective, if Trump's allegations were true (of course they are utterly false), then overthrowing the government would be justified.

The "optics" are bad to spend time chatting about when it is appropriate to attack the Capitol and take it over, and lock all the people inside in the basement, and ... .  A much more minor footnote is that I don't want to encourage the kooks to internalize the talking point, and say, hey, I thought in food faith that it was all stolen, and I don't claim to be a rocket scientist, and thus sincerely believed I was a freedom fighter when I stormed the Capitol, so I am really a good person. That would irritate me.

In other news, Trump really, really seems to be deranged.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #2027 on: February 01, 2021, 02:40:06 PM »

FWIW, I had earlier expressed some skepticism that the Senate has jurisdiction to try Trump’s impeachment. I am no longer skeptical of that fact.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2028 on: February 01, 2021, 06:29:32 PM »

The Rs are using the same argument that D's used in 1998 that Trump should be Acquitted due to we gotta take care of the people's business.  Schumer was the lead defense counsel on the Judiciary panel in the House and in the Senate as a Juror due to fact he won the Senate seat in 1998.

We must move past this nightmare
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #2029 on: February 01, 2021, 09:04:42 PM »

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-impeachment-trial-political-proceeding-163958825.html

This article explains why 45 Rs stood ready to dismiss the charges, Impeachment is a political case not a criminal Incitement case
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #2030 on: February 01, 2021, 11:34:32 PM »

2. I can't believe Trump really believes that the election being stolen is a defense to his actions. The remedy is not violence.

Both 1 and 2 are probably true.

Well, if the election was in fact stolen by massive fraud and the legal system would not entertain challenges, then overthrowing the government would be a justifiable recourse.

But he has to prove that there was actually massive fraud. He can't do this because it didn't happen, and his lawyers (maybe him, who knows) will look like fools before the Senate while trying and increase the chance of his conviction. This proves though that Trump was not merely grifting post-election and truly believes that the election was stolen from him.

The defense of assuming arguendo that the election was stolen, and the courts, each and every one of them, wrongfully denied redress, then the storming of the Capitol to stop by violence the count of the electors is justified, and therefore even if Trump incited violence, that is an act of a freedom fighter, will not work out well for Trump. JMO.

I agree, it won't work out well for him in our universe where the coup failed. But from a purely moral perspective, if Trump's allegations were true (of course they are utterly false), then overthrowing the government would be justified.

The "optics" are bad to spend time chatting about when it is appropriate to attack the Capitol and take it over, and lock all the people inside in the basement, and ... .  A much more minor footnote is that I don't want to encourage the kooks to internalize the talking point, and say, hey, I thought in food faith that it was all stolen, and I don't claim to be a rocket scientist, and thus sincerely believed I was a freedom fighter when I stormed the Capitol, so I am really a good person. That would irritate me.

In other news, Trump really, really seems to be deranged.
On the other hand, it is proof positive that everyone who ‘condemned’ violence but peddles the election conspiracy theory is lying on way or the other.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2031 on: February 02, 2021, 11:02:51 AM »

The House impeachment brief for the trial has been posted: https://judiciary.house.gov/uploadedfiles/house_trial_brief_final.pdf.  I don't have time to read it now, but this is the Table of Contents:

INTRODUCTION...1

STATEMENT OF FACTS...5

A. President Trump Refuses to Accept the Results of the 2020 Election................................5
B. President Trump Encourages His Followers to Come to Washington on January 6,
2021 and “Fight” to Overturn the Election Results............................................................. 12
C. Vice President Pence Refuses to Overturn the Election Results....................................... 18
D. President Trump Incites Insurrectionists to Attack the Capitol ........................................ 20
E. Insurrectionists Incited by President Trump Attack the Capitol ....................................... 22
F. President Trump’s Dereliction of Duty During the Attack ................................................ 29
G. The House Approves An Article of Impeachment with Bipartisan Support................... 34

ARGUMENT... 36

I. PRESIDENT TRUMP COMMITTED HIGH CRIMES AND MISDEMEANORS.......................................... 36

A. President Trump Violated His Oath of Office ..................................................................... 37
B. President Trump Attacked the Democratic Process............................................................ 38
C. President Trump Imperiled Congress .................................................................................... 39
D. President Trump Undermined National Security ................................................................. 40

II. THERE IS NO DEFENSE FOR PRESIDENT TRUMP’S CONDUCT ........................................................ 42

A. Fair Impeachment Process... 42
B. Criminality... 43
C. Election Results... 44
D. Free Speech... 45

III. THE SENATE HAS JURISDICTION TO TRY THIS IMPEACHMENT ...................................................... 48

A. Former Officials in England and the Early American States Were Subject to
Impeachment and Disqualification for Abuses Committed in Office .............................. 50
B. The Framers Adhered to the Tradition That Former Officials Were Subject to
Impeachment, Conviction, and Disqualification for Misconduct in Office..................... 53
1. The Constitutional Convention ................................................................................. 55
2. Constitutional Text and Structure ............................................................................. 59
C. Congressional Precedent Supports Jurisdiction over President Trump............................ 71

CONCLUSION... 75
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #2032 on: February 02, 2021, 12:24:39 PM »

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2033 on: February 02, 2021, 12:37:56 PM »

He believes *and* avers it? Stop the presses!
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2034 on: February 02, 2021, 12:49:34 PM »

Trump is going the Charles 1st route I see Tongue
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2035 on: February 02, 2021, 12:50:10 PM »

"UNITES STATES SENATE"
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2036 on: February 02, 2021, 12:55:07 PM »

Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #2037 on: February 02, 2021, 12:57:59 PM »

So what happens when the Senate disqualifies him and he runs in 2024 anyway?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2038 on: February 02, 2021, 01:13:05 PM »

State & local election officials (& - if necessary - judges) don't allow his name to be printed on ballots.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #2039 on: February 02, 2021, 01:47:14 PM »

State & local election officials (& - if necessary - judges) don't allow his name to be printed on ballots.

Essencially impossible hypothetical, but could he win via write-in? And if he won any states via write-in, would any Electoral Votes for him be able to be issued?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2040 on: February 02, 2021, 01:48:10 PM »

Alrighty, then:

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2041 on: February 02, 2021, 01:50:40 PM »

Essencially impossible hypothetical, but could he win via write-in? And if he won any states via write-in, would any Electoral Votes for him be able to be issued?

Most states require legitimate write-in candidates to still register in order for their votes to be counted, so any votes cast in his name would simply be thrown out like joke votes for fictional characters.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2042 on: February 02, 2021, 02:01:40 PM »

Most states require legitimate write-in candidates to still register in order for their votes to be counted, so any votes cast in his name would simply be thrown out like joke votes for fictional characters.

If Trump is convicted and disqualified, he becomes Constitutionally ineligible for the office.  It would be like a former two-term President trying to run and win again. 

On another note, I've finally had time to read the House brief.  If you have time, by all means read it!  At least the first part, which describes the insurrection and the events leading up to it.  It's a masterpiece -- extremely well written and a gripping read.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #2043 on: February 02, 2021, 02:23:50 PM »

If the Rs want to nominate Trump again and lose again, it would be good for Dems than have a Ron DeSantis win, Trump would no doubt clear the field, so having Trump run again in 2024 would be better for the D's.

That's why the CONVICTION of Trump doesn't make sense.

Just, like Schumer and the D's were silly not to get Bill CLINTON to resign and Gore would have won as the INCUMBENT and we would perhaps avoided Tsuami Katrina aftermath

Nadar vote would have went to Gore Instead of splinter off

Robert C Byrd said the pep rally was silly

Clinton didn't do anything for AA, the rate poverty was still 33 percent, that's why AA supported Obama in 2008 over Hillary
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2044 on: February 02, 2021, 02:57:03 PM »

The problem for D's, isn't that the coup failed, the R argument is that we should be concentrating on the people's concern than Trump concern.  The same argument D's used when Rs were impeaching Bill Clinton.

The results of a conviction is very small, Trump loses his Govt pension and can't run for office.

This is nothing to Covid

D's said that no matter if Clinton committed perjury, the Stock Market is at record high, but it was for wealthy people, not poor people

You're missing the biggest result of a conviction: a formal decision by the United States Congress that attempts to overthrow the duly elected government by force, threats and abuse of  power are illegitimate.

That should be utterly uncontroversial, but apparently the Republicans have a very hard time realizing why its a bad thing. Likely because they are incapable of even imagining that they could ever be on the receiving end.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2045 on: February 02, 2021, 03:13:45 PM »

If hypothetically a state submitted electoral votes for a disqualified (or otherwise ineligible) candidate then Congress would have the duty not to count those votes. If they count them anyway, well then I guess we don't have a Constitution anymore.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #2046 on: February 02, 2021, 03:43:15 PM »

Trump is a known criminal, but I was clarifying the position of hypocrisy on both sides of the aisle that in 1999 Bill Clinton shouldn't of resign, v 2020 Trump and how he must resign

Graham and Schumer were in the Senate and vocal supporters of their Prez parties candidate in 1998 and 2020
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2047 on: February 04, 2021, 01:14:50 PM »

Will he do it?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2048 on: February 04, 2021, 01:21:21 PM »

Has there been any consideration to admitting DC before the trial to decrease the number of Republicans who would have to go out on a limb and convict?

Not that admitting states just for impeachment votes is a good precedent, but since DC statehood is a 100% lock this year anyway, might as well move it up on the calendar. After all, the Americans living in DC deserve a voice in this matter.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #2049 on: February 04, 2021, 01:22:11 PM »

I will be glad it will be over, Trump is a criminal and hopefully when Garland is confirmed he will have NY prosecute Trump
I am ready to move on.

It's already known that Impeachment is a political not a legal process and Jurors don't have to follow normal Crt law
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 ... 118  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies