DC Unrest Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 11:18:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 197
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 270127 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1275 on: January 06, 2021, 07:12:49 PM »

Defund the Police.

They were outnumbered, and wanted to go home to their families. It's the same reason they had to stand by and let mobs of looters pic department stores clean rather than trying to arrest a mob that outnumbered them 10 to 1.

There's a time and a place in law enforcement for hard overwhelming force. And I genuinely hope it comes in the next hour or two
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1276 on: January 06, 2021, 07:12:59 PM »

I also think this might be the final straw for me when it comes to American law enforcement. What an upside-down world we live in where people who allow something like this to happen are idolized, whereas public defenders and defense attorneys are vilified. This country has an obscene fetish for the "direct force" aspect of law enforcement, and treating police as our sacred cows has allowed them to get away with far, far too much.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #1277 on: January 06, 2021, 07:13:02 PM »

Today has been terrible for Trump on Twitter. First Pence ghosts him and now his account has been locked.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1278 on: January 06, 2021, 07:13:08 PM »

So on my lunch I confirmed that the ND Capitol has nothing happening and its business as usual.

Still concerned, since I really doubt these insurrections at State Capitols are going to stop after today...
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #1279 on: January 06, 2021, 07:13:22 PM »

Look at these disgraceful comments: https://rrhelections.com/index.php/2021/01/06/capitol-hill-violence-open-thread/#comment-636599. If anyone thought the minds and hearts of many Trump voters would be changed by what happened today, think again. Already, they're blaming the media, Democrats, "left-wing" activists, and other targets of the right for what happened today.

Please don't link or mention that drivelous site on here

Why should we not be aware of what these people are thinking? We must be cognizant of their views, because that will provide us a way to fight against what they promote in the future.

I agree with this. More people need to know about this rhetoric because honestly there are many in this country who are unaware of the radicalism that exists.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1280 on: January 06, 2021, 07:13:35 PM »

Meanwhile in LA...

If there's one thing history has shown, it's don't mess with the LAPD. I suppose MAGA-stans are learning that the hard way.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1281 on: January 06, 2021, 07:13:51 PM »

F*** you Josh! DIAF!
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1282 on: January 06, 2021, 07:15:03 PM »

MY QUEEN IS ALIVE!

Cori Bush is actually very underrated but it has nothing to do with this.

It's easy for people named Bush to be misunderestimated.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1283 on: January 06, 2021, 07:15:23 PM »

Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #1284 on: January 06, 2021, 07:15:31 PM »

A thousand times this. There is no such thing as a decent Trump supporter and there hasn't been for a long time. They are deplorable scum. Every. Single. One. Of. Them.

That's not how this works.

It starts from the top. It starts with a man so deluded that he can't accept defeat, and is willing to propagate dangerous lies to people who know no better than to believe because they've been conditioned to do so.

Everyone had their own reasons for supporting Trump, including myself once upon a time, but the hardcore cultists have been brainwashed. Day in and day out, by media echo chambers, by their elected officials casting doubt on an election outcome and by every single person of influence who cast aside logic and reason to curry favor with people who have been suckered by this cult of personality.

Some of them, I assume, are bad people. But most of them are hopelessly, sadly, deluded by a president who has taught them to redefine reality by his warped standards.

This is the GOP's fault. This is OANN's fault. But to blame every person who cast a vote for Trump is, (and I HATE using this comparison because it's lazy), tantamount to disparaging the character of every person who supported Hitler because they were deluded to believe he was the right thing for their country.

We're not talking about Trump voters views in retrospect. Any Trump voter who doesn't at this point forward regret having voted for him - - I won't even get into the fact that this should have been a parent and a decision made numerous numerous times over the last five years - - deserve every level of scorn and derision that traitors deserve. Likewise, any Republican who doesn't want to see the nearly 200 members of Congress plus whatever Governor's, state representatives, Etc who actively Aid and abet Trump's inciting this attempted coup, is likewise just as guilty.

In short, if today any Trump supporter or Republican who regrets there prior support for Trump, as well as the 98% of Republicans who cuddled and encouraged him, want to see the Republican party truly change, that is really, honestly, and absolutely cleanse itself of trumpism and all the authoritarian anti-democratic Cult of Personality thuggery involved with it, then kudos to them.

Anything short of that, f*** you and the horse you rode in on, traitor.

I agree 100%. If you can't see that the GOP has turned into nothing but a cult of personality and a shameless, cowardly shell of what it used to be, then you are in denial. I hope that this event is what triggers some of these lawmakers to do an about-face, and I know they won't get what they deserve, but a late repentance is better than nothing.
randomusername

« Reply #1285 on: January 06, 2021, 07:15:59 PM »

Today has been terrible for Trump on Twitter. First Pence ghosts him and now his account has been locked.

Pence didn't unfollow him though. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/pence-trump-twitter-jan-6-riots/
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #1286 on: January 06, 2021, 07:16:03 PM »

Defund the Police.

This is why we needed the military to come in.

It’s sad but true now that the military is now more opposed to their own Commander-in-Chief and dedicated to supporting the rights of civilians than the cops are.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1287 on: January 06, 2021, 07:16:16 PM »

Live shot from inside the Oval Office:

rhg2052

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.78

« Reply #1288 on: January 06, 2021, 07:16:19 PM »

Holy s*** is it happening?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1289 on: January 06, 2021, 07:16:38 PM »

W
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -8.61

« Reply #1290 on: January 06, 2021, 07:17:31 PM »

I had a gut feeling to watch the objections and saw this all live. Phenomenally shocking.

Let's make one thing clear: this was an attempted coup by fascists on the marching orders of a despot of a president.

I'm usually a pessimist on this stuff, but I think he may actually get 25th'd.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1291 on: January 06, 2021, 07:18:26 PM »

Stabbing outside of Trump DC Hotel

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1292 on: January 06, 2021, 07:18:29 PM »

I predicted earlier that Trump would be booted from Twitter by Jan. 31, but it might be even sooner.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1293 on: January 06, 2021, 07:18:46 PM »
« Edited: January 06, 2021, 07:32:34 PM by TexasGurl »

Defund the Police.

Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #1294 on: January 06, 2021, 07:19:06 PM »

Meanwhile in LA...

If there's one thing history has shown, it's don't mess with the LAPD. I suppose MAGA-stans are learning that the hard way.

Forgive me if I'm not as optimistic are you about the LAPD
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #1295 on: January 06, 2021, 07:19:59 PM »

I also think this might be the final straw for me when it comes to American law enforcement. What an upside-down world we live in where people who allow something like this to happen are idolized, whereas public defenders and defense attorneys are vilified. This country has an obscene fetish for the "direct force" aspect of law enforcement, and treating police as our sacred cows has allowed them to get away with far, far too much.
Welcome to antifa, John Dule! Your complimentary pussy hat and they/them pronoun pin will be arriving in the mail within the next 30 days.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1296 on: January 06, 2021, 07:19:59 PM »

I do feel like there's been a lingering tension in DC for a while of "staffs" tending to be made up more and more of liberals and generally anti-Trump people. This is the inevitable consequence of that, really.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1297 on: January 06, 2021, 07:20:16 PM »
« Edited: January 07, 2021, 07:32:43 PM by We Made PA Blue Again! »

There seriously needs to be an investigation opened into the actions of the Capitol Hill police. A BLM protestor would have never even gotten near the building. The selfies are bad enough.
W
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -8.61

« Reply #1298 on: January 06, 2021, 07:20:17 PM »

Is it fair to say Hawley and Cruz are screwed as far as 2024?
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #1299 on: January 06, 2021, 07:21:06 PM »

Is it fair to say Hawley and Cruz are screwed as far as 2024?

Never say never, but I do think based on anecdotes that this has seriously damaged their reputations among a general electorate.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 197  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies