DC Unrest Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 04:50:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 153 154 155 [156] 157 158 159 160 161 ... 197
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 270821 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3875 on: January 11, 2021, 06:19:19 PM »

A FEMA alum takes over DHS while we're on the brink of a civil war.

Alex Jones must be seething right now.

I would consider Alex Jones seething is one of the few pleasant side effects of this whole affair.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3876 on: January 11, 2021, 06:20:35 PM »

I want to thank these trump bastards, for teaching all of us that "True American Patriots" use the pole with the American flag attached to it, to bludgeon law enforcement with.
What a truly Patriotic thing to do.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3877 on: January 11, 2021, 06:22:03 PM »

Armed stormings have been planned at every state capitol, as well as four consecutive days of armed protests at the US Capitol, per the FBI.

God help us.

https://abc7ny.com/fbi-armed-protest-president-donald-trump-capitol-raid/9563994/
If this turns into a bloody mess then I at least hope it will be the thing that finally discredits Trumpism once and for all.

If Wednesday didn't, nothing will.

De programming will be hard, if not impossible. However, social media is the connective tissue, so maybe we'll see.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3878 on: January 11, 2021, 06:35:29 PM »

Told you that LEO/Fire/EMS/Military are filled with far right people......
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3879 on: January 11, 2021, 06:44:09 PM »

That was never in doubt.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3880 on: January 11, 2021, 06:50:53 PM »

That was never in doubt.

But why, and also what can Democrats do to appeal to these voters instead of belittling their occupations?

Occupations shouldn't be political......most white NYPD officers don't even live in NYC, same thing with the white Philly and Chicago cops....their political stance is more "conservative" (if that's the word), or whatever.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3881 on: January 11, 2021, 06:53:19 PM »

That was never in doubt.

But why, and also what can Democrats do to appeal to these voters instead of belittling their occupations?

Police forces are an unaccountable state-within-a-state with a self-obsessed subculture based on an obsessive crucified-messiah complex. Nothing can be done to appeal to them as voters short of reassuring them that they're demigods.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3882 on: January 11, 2021, 06:56:49 PM »

I want to thank these trump bastards, for teaching all of us that "True American Patriots" use the pole with the American flag attached to it, to bludgeon law enforcement with.
What a truly Patriotic thing to do.

What do you expect? They're nazis.
tinman64

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.57

P P
« Reply #3883 on: January 11, 2021, 07:00:01 PM »

Despite reports, pro-Trump protesters in San Francisco's Twitter HQ nowhere to be found

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Trump-rioters-Twitter-HQ-San-Francisco-zip-ties-15861081.php?IPID=SFGate-HP-CP-Spotlight

Police officers and reporters swarmed Twitter's heavily-barricaded headquarters Monday morning, and even a couple of counter-protesters carrying "impeach Trump" signs.

But the pro-Trump mob that was expected to descend into San Francisco following the permanent banning of President Donald Trump on his preferred social media platform was nowhere to be found.

"SFPD has been in contact with representatives from Twitter," a police representative told SFGATE in a statement. "We will have sufficient resources available to respond to any demonstrations as well as calls for service citywide."

The San Francisco Chronicle first broke the news, and found that the calls for protest originated on a far-right forum that emerged as an offshoot of the subreddit TheDonald -- which Reddit banned last year.

While the original poster branded the protests as "peaceful," some members of the forum suggested carrying zip ties -- akin to the ones held by rioters who were later arrested. It is also possible that protesters may come to the homes of Twitter employees, including CEO Jack Dorsey, though officers did not confirm to SFGATE whether there would be a police presence there due to safety concerns.

While most employees at the headquarters are still working remotely, the headquarters are located close to a Blue Bottle coffee shop and the food court The Market. The Market's doors was locked.

Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3884 on: January 11, 2021, 07:02:17 PM »

Armed stormings have been planned at every state capitol, as well as four consecutive days of armed protests at the US Capitol, per the FBI.

God help us.

https://abc7ny.com/fbi-armed-protest-president-donald-trump-capitol-raid/9563994/
If this turns into a bloody mess then I at least hope it will be the thing that finally discredits Trumpism once and for all.

De programming will be hard, if not impossible. However, social media is the connective tissue, so maybe we'll see.

These people aren't worth the effort to deprogram.  Lock all of them up and throw away the key.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3885 on: January 11, 2021, 07:03:11 PM »

God help us.

These people aren't worth the effort to deprogram.  Lock all of them up and throw away the key.
They should be given a chance to self-deport.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3886 on: January 11, 2021, 07:04:12 PM »

God help us.

No other country would take them.  Maybe we can buy Greenland after all and use it as a modern day Australia. 
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #3887 on: January 11, 2021, 07:05:45 PM »

God the title of this thread keeps getting worse
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3888 on: January 11, 2021, 07:05:53 PM »

God help us.

No other country would take them.  Maybe we can buy Greenland after all and use it as a modern day Australia. 

Some eastern european countries would absolutely take them. Perhaps Israel or maybe even parts of India as well.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3889 on: January 11, 2021, 07:09:08 PM »

God help us.

Some eastern european countries would absolutely take them. Perhaps Israel or maybe even parts of India as well.

Fine with me.  I don't care where they go as long as they are far away from the rest of us.  They've clearly proven incapable of being part of police society.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3890 on: January 11, 2021, 07:10:36 PM »

God help us.

The Israeli Jewish far right is evidently all too happy to ally with the Gentile far right in other countries when it suits, but I doubt Bibi wants people like MTG and the Q shaman actually living in his country.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #3891 on: January 11, 2021, 07:13:59 PM »

God help us.

The Israeli Jewish far right is evidently all too happy to ally with the Gentile far right in other countries when it suits, but I doubt Bibi wants people like MTG and the Q shaman actually living in his country.

Maybe they can start a Qibbutz program for them and they can live off the land in tiny, segregated, all-white communities that they've always yearned for. Heck, maybe it can be built outside Trump Heights in the Golan.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3892 on: January 11, 2021, 07:32:02 PM »

It's nuts that the last time the DHS was headed by a "non-acting" secretary was in April 2019.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3893 on: January 11, 2021, 07:36:11 PM »

God the title of this thread keeps getting worse

Everything about this keeps getting worse as the days go by and we continue learning more. It's depressingly astounding.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #3894 on: January 11, 2021, 08:05:15 PM »

God help us.

We don’t need to buy Greenland....there’s plenty of room in Alaska to build prison labor camps that could house millions of people.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #3895 on: January 11, 2021, 08:06:20 PM »

Biden indicating he still plans to follow through with plans for outdoor inauguration.

I respect his courage, but I do worry that he's putting himself at significant unnecessary risk.
The symbolism of a normal inauguration is important, but I think that the optics of an evacuation, or (God forbid) shots being fired towards the Capitol, are far worse.

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #3896 on: January 11, 2021, 08:07:53 PM »

Biden indicating he still plans to follow through with plans for outdoor inauguration.

I respect his courage, but I do worry that he's putting himself at significant unnecessary risk.
The symbolism of a normal inauguration is important, but I think that the optics of an evacuation, or (God forbid) shots being fired towards the Capitol, are far worse.

He'll be surrounded by the military, there's not a chance a gunman is getting near him.

Also, being outdoors is good because of covid.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #3897 on: January 11, 2021, 08:11:51 PM »

Biden’s not a coward.

I would be lying if I said I wasn’t nervous though.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3898 on: January 11, 2021, 08:14:15 PM »

Biden’s not a coward.

I would be lying if I said I wasn’t nervous though.

Agreed. It's a real shame since I was looking forward to inauguration day and finally feeling awash with relief afterwards.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #3899 on: January 11, 2021, 08:16:41 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 151 152 153 154 155 [156] 157 158 159 160 161 ... 197  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length