English mega-local elections, 2021
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:47:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  English mega-local elections, 2021
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17
Author Topic: English mega-local elections, 2021  (Read 22818 times)
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: May 09, 2021, 03:27:05 AM »

As expected, Khan has indeed won, but by a bit less than polls had suggested. 55-45 in the second round.
Bailey was bolstered by a good performance in Northern Outer London and indeed relatively in many of Labour’s strongholds in East London, although he underperformed Goldsmith in Westminster, Kensington and Chelsea, Wandsworth, Merton, and the South West.

I understand Bailey doing worse in the South West, but not in West Central. It seems to be full of partisan Tories who voted for Steve Norris and were voting Tory when William Hague was leader. The rest of London is still bad for the Tories and still full of non-Labour Remainers yet there were swings away from Khan. All I can think of is abysmal turnout in places like Belgravia.

I wonder if Bailey’s focus on stopping the “Outer London Tax” as he called it had anything to do with it, seeing as West Central has been paying the Congestion Charge for a while now.

Quite possibly, and I don't think crime is high in much of West Central - another focus of his. If you live within the congestion charge, do you have to pay it?
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #251 on: May 09, 2021, 03:28:23 AM »

As expected, Khan has indeed won, but by a bit less than polls had suggested. 55-45 in the second round.
Bailey was bolstered by a good performance in Northern Outer London and indeed relatively in many of Labour’s strongholds in East London, although he underperformed Goldsmith in Westminster, Kensington and Chelsea, Wandsworth, Merton, and the South West.

I understand Bailey doing worse in the South West, but not in West Central. It seems to be full of partisan Tories who voted for Steve Norris and were voting Tory when William Hague was leader. The rest of London is still bad for the Tories and still full of non-Labour Remainers yet there were swings away from Khan. All I can think of is abysmal turnout in places like Belgravia.

I wonder if Bailey’s focus on stopping the “Outer London Tax” as he called it had anything to do with it, seeing as West Central has been paying the Congestion Charge for a while now.

Quite possibly, and I don't think crime is high in much of West Central - another focus of his. If you live within the congestion charge, do you have to pay it?

Yes, but they get a 90% discount.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #252 on: May 09, 2021, 03:34:12 AM »

So effectively they don't pay congestion charge. Much of West Central is outside the zone though.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #253 on: May 09, 2021, 03:35:51 AM »

Seeing as nobody posted them, here are the London Assembly Results:

Labour: 11 (-1, City and East, North East, Enfield and Haringey, Barnet and Camden, Greenwich and Lewisham, Ealing and Hillingdon, Brent and Harrow, Lambeth and Southwark, Merton and Wandsworth, two list seats)
Conservative: 9 (+1, West Central, Croydon and Sutton, Bexley and Bromley, Havering and Redbridge, South West, four list seats)
Green: 3 (+1, all List)
LD: 2 (+1, all List)

In terms of vote share on the list:

Labour: 38.1%
Conservative: 30.7%
Green: 11.8%
LD: 7.3%
Women's Equality: 2.2%
Rejoin EU: 1.9%
Animal Welfare: 1.7%
Christian People's Alliance: 1.1%
UKIP: 1.0%

All other parties below 1%.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #254 on: May 09, 2021, 03:44:52 AM »

I hope the Green vote is a protest vote. if 10% of English voters truly fancy the bonkerish UK Green party then England is utterly ****ed. This isn't the German Greens, it's the fringe of the old LibDem sandals brigade and loonyleft. 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #255 on: May 09, 2021, 03:53:31 AM »

I hope the Green vote is a protest vote. if 10% of English voters truly fancy the bonkerish UK Green party then England is utterly ****ed. This isn't the German Greens, it's the fringe of the old LibDem sandals brigade and loonyleft. 

The German Greens support Merkel, and while she's less terrible than most right of center leaders, she is right of center, and so really shouldn't be compared to a more left party.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #256 on: May 09, 2021, 03:56:29 AM »

The German Greens support Merkel, and while she's less terrible than most right of center leaders, she is right of center, and so really shouldn't be compared to a more left party.
I don't see the rebuke here. As I said the German Greens are more pragmatic and normal (despite some fringe characters). The UK Green is a banter party of incompetent quacks
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #257 on: May 09, 2021, 05:09:06 AM »

It won't worry them because they did well in their region (the SW were they almost won the assembly seat) but the Lib Dem performance was pretty bad.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #258 on: May 09, 2021, 05:13:11 AM »
« Edited: May 09, 2021, 05:36:49 AM by beesley »

Greens always outperform their national figures in local elections. They are for example the opposition on Solihull Council but would have no chance of winning either Solihull or Meriden at a general election. Most of their other gains were fairly isolated. In any case around 9% of Germans voted for Die Linke who are far closer to the English Greens on most issues, at the last election, so the comparison is a bit disingenuous.

Naturally the Greens would perform better under PR as they always have done but that doesn't mean they would get 10%.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #259 on: May 09, 2021, 05:14:50 AM »

It won't worry them because they did well in their region (the SW were they almost won the assembly seat) but the Lib Dem performance was pretty bad.

Any thoughts as to why the LDs did so well in the South West constituency? It's obviously a good area for them, but they did worse in the list (where they had a better chance) and poorly in the mayoral (10%). Did the candidate campaign a lot?

For people who know Richmond well: why is the bit north of the river (Twickenham, Teddington) more Lib Dem than south (Kew, Mortlake, Barnes)?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #260 on: May 09, 2021, 05:32:25 AM »

Greens always outperform their national figures in local elections. They are for example the opposition on Solihull Council but would have no chance of winning either Solihull or Meriden at a general election. Most of their other gains were fairly isolated. In any case around 9% of Germans voted for Die Linke who are far closer to the English Greens on most issues, at the last election, so the comparison is a bit disingenuous.
Without DDR pensioners voting for Die Linke to look after them/Östalgia, then the left would been far below the threshold there.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #261 on: May 09, 2021, 06:00:55 AM »

Any thoughts as to why the LDs did so well in the South West constituency? It's obviously a good area for them, but they did worse in the list (where they had a better chance) and poorly in the mayoral (10%). Did the candidate campaign a lot?

For people who know Richmond well: why is the bit north of the river (Twickenham, Teddington) more Lib Dem than south (Kew, Mortlake, Barnes)?

Twickenham and Teddington are somewhat less wealthy. They are very solidly upper middle-class, but not quite as exceptionally affluent as Barnes and surrounds.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #262 on: May 09, 2021, 06:06:53 AM »

Twickenham and Teddington are somewhat less wealthy. They are very solidly upper middle-class, but not quite as abnormally affluent as Barnes and surrounds.

And in these areas wealth correlates to Tory support I suppose. I was looking back at some old threads and AI said that in the 1980s it was the wealthier areas voting Liberal and the more 'hum-drum' areas voting Tory - so flipped I imagine.

Livingstone won both sides of the river in 2004. In fact Norris only won Barnes - is that the very wealthiest part of Richmond? Electoralcalculus has them all as 'very Remain.'
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #263 on: May 09, 2021, 06:29:27 AM »

Twickenham and Teddington are somewhat less wealthy. They are very solidly upper middle-class, but not quite as abnormally affluent as Barnes and surrounds.

And in these areas wealth correlates to Tory support I suppose. I was looking back at some old threads and AI said that in the 1980s it was the wealthier areas voting Liberal and the more 'hum-drum' areas voting Tory - so flipped I imagine.

Livingstone won both sides of the river in 2004. In fact Norris only won Barnes - is that the very wealthiest part of Richmond? Electoralcalculus has them all as 'very Remain.'

Yes, Barnes is probably the very wealthiest part of Richmond.

You see a similar pattern in Wimbledon, as well - the most Tory area is the Village, on top of the hill with lots of expensive detached houses (and lots of old people sitting on these nest eggs), while the Lib Dems/Labour do better in the areas at the bottom of the hill with more semis and terraced housing (which ares still very well-off by national standards).

Would you mind linking me that old thread you mentioned? I’d be very interested to read it.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #264 on: May 09, 2021, 06:45:43 AM »

Yes, Barnes is probably the very wealthiest part of Richmond.

You see a similar pattern in Wimbledon, as well - the most Tory area is the Village, on top of the hill with lots of expensive detached houses (and lots of old people sitting on these nest eggs), while the Lib Dems/Labour do better in the areas at the bottom of the hill with more semis and terraced housing (which ares still very well-off by national standards).

Would you mind linking me that old thread you mentioned? I’d be very interested to read it.

Village is absurdly Tory. In 2008 I believe it voted 78% for Boris - only 1 point behind Belgravia and Royal Hospital.

Here’s the quote, part of the thread from 2007.

For what it's worth, the LibDem vote in SW London isn't nearly as well-heeled as is often assumed; the richest wards tend to vote Tory these days (an interesting change from the 1980's, when the Liberals were strongest in the most middle upper class wards, while the Tories did best in the more hum-drum areas).

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #265 on: May 09, 2021, 06:47:14 AM »

When will BBC compute the national equivalent vote share ?
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #266 on: May 09, 2021, 06:55:52 AM »

For the local elections in England? I don’t know, but it’s not terribly useful. I think John Curtice had some model which they published creating an equivalent in a general election.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #267 on: May 09, 2021, 07:43:04 AM »

They have a natural base both at the Parliamentary level & run both Richmond & Kingston Council- the candidate is relatively well know for a list (he's a council leader at Richmond) and frankly they were running a complete nobody for Mayor- hence the topline result.

There also would have been some tactical voting going on by the 'Winning Here!!' leaflets- in terms of demographics & areas I can't give a good answer other than saying that there's a certain threshold in London where wealthy areas basically become too wealthy & start voting Tory.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #268 on: May 09, 2021, 07:44:35 AM »

Again I'm not a data expert at all but London, particularly West London has seen huge swings over the last 10 years, let alone the last 20- a combination of internal migration within London, migration into (and out of the city) and just a general well change is a big factor
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #269 on: May 09, 2021, 07:45:04 AM »

They have a natural base both at the Parliamentary level & run both Richmond & Kingston Council- the candidate is relatively well know for a list (he's a council leader at Richmond) and frankly they were running a complete nobody for Mayor- hence the topline result.

There also would have been some tactical voting going on by the 'Winning Here!!' leaflets- in terms of demographics & areas I can't give a good answer other than saying that there's a certain threshold in London where wealthy areas basically become too wealthy & start voting Tory.

I get why the LDs do well there; I was asking about the GLA results in particular. The candidate being leader of Richmond council makes sense. So could it be that Hounslow voted Labour, Richmond LD and Kingston Tory?
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #270 on: May 09, 2021, 07:46:09 AM »

Again I'm not a data expert at all but London, particularly West London has seen huge swings over the last 10 years, let alone the last 20- a combination of internal migration within London, migration into (and out of the city) and just a general well change is a big factor

Can you expand on this? I suspect a lot of people moved out of places like Belgravia thanks to COVID, hence the swing away from the Tories in West Central. We shall need the ward results!
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #271 on: May 09, 2021, 07:50:22 AM »

They have done, and it works out at a Tory lead of about 6 points over Labour (maybe not as high as some might have expected given the seat changes in at least some areas)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #272 on: May 09, 2021, 08:02:19 AM »

Can you expand on this? I suspect a lot of people moved out of places like Belgravia thanks to COVID, hence the swing away from the Tories in West Central. We shall need the ward results!

I meant London in general rather than West Central; but the trend has been that middle class graduates (both these from London & those from other parts of the country) can't really afford to live in the central zones of London so have had to move out to the further edges- this is both the case for those living in rented accommodation & those wishing to buy family homes- although the later now requires you to most likely leave London- which might explain some other electoral results! 

I'm not sure of the numbers but my hunch would say that the age of the people moving in has meant that London has remained a relatively young city in terms of its voting habits.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #273 on: May 09, 2021, 08:08:05 AM »

Yes, though Conservatives do better locally (local, mayoral elections) than nationally.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #274 on: May 09, 2021, 08:35:48 AM »

They have done, and it works out at a Tory lead of about 6 points over Labour (maybe not as high as some might have expected given the seat changes in at least some areas)

I found it.  Thanks

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies