Democratic Alliance (+Allies) Local Campaigning Thread 2021 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:50:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Democratic Alliance (+Allies) Local Campaigning Thread 2021 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Democratic Alliance (+Allies) Local Campaigning Thread 2021  (Read 5934 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« on: January 05, 2021, 06:19:32 PM »

Friendly reminder that campaigning does not start tomorrow, I still want to continue the feedback process for a couple of days and make a few announcements.

I don't mind the event being re-posted later of course, but the January cycle has not started yet. I still need to finalize decisions on what the alterations to the system will be and, of course, end the feedback process.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 10:51:06 PM »

Speech (Utah):
Although otherwise unable to participate, Former President Lumine made his first appearance on the campaign trail today in Utah, encouraging local residents to support Ben Matheson and the Democratic Alliance candidates in the coming elections. Taking the time to talk to undecided voters and to thank party volunteers after delivering his speech, the former President also urged voters keen for political change to coalesce and support the DA as a credible political alternative within the Commonwealth of Frémont.

Good evening, Utah!

As someone who resided in this state for quite a while, it is truly a pleasure to return to what can only be described as a very special part of our beloved Commonwealth, driven by a collective spirit of honesty, respect and a deep seated integrity which transcends artificial divisions and allows such a wonderful community to last.

It is therefore very regrettable that a state with such potential, and with such ethically minded residents, has to suffer from the terrible consequences of political mismanagement. What took place in this very state was nothing short of an abhorrent abdication of responsibility and the leadership that elected officials should provide to improve the lives of our citizens, at a devastating cost for new grieving families. Thankfully, legislators and parties reacted swiftly, delivering a clear and concise end to such an ignominious chapter in this state’s history.

I will not presume to tell you to vote based on this scandal. Instead, I will invite you to consider a larger, less convenient question that you may want to ask yourself when you go to the polls to do your civic duty. I want to invite you to ask yourself what kind of government you want, and just as important, what kind of politics you want to see. You see, there is a model currently both in use and in display across the campaign of the past month. This is a model, I’m afraid to say, based on what can only be described as political arrogance. It is a model which involves being so convinced that you can’t do no wrong, and so convinced that any opposition or dissent is worth nothing but contempt and disdain, that basic norms will be freely ditched for the sake of victory at any cost. I have to think you’ve seen or heard this type of behavior before.

You’ll see it coming from those who have no qualms with describing their opponents as animals and doubling down when challenged on it. You’ll see it coming from those who, with no regard for context, will reduce their opponents to a single, inaccurate misnomer. You’ll see it coming from those who talk about a Dishonest Alliance until they’re blue – or shall we say red? – on the face, as if simply uttering insults of that kind either said anything of value or was an appropriate substitute for a vision or policies. You’ll see it in those who, whenever they don’t get exactly what they want, and how they want it, will shout poisonous words and thunderous accusations. Finally, you’ll see it in those who believe an opposition – any opposition – should be subservient and submissive.

And I have to wonder, is that what you want to see? Deep down, are you – any of you – truly comfortable with this way of doing politics? Do you want your elected officials to campaign on fear? Do you want them to try and browbeat or humiliate their opposition, behaving more as a simple bully than an actual force of effective government? If you do, then I would imagine your decision in the coming days will be fairly easy to make. After all, you have a party – an entrenched, incumbent party – offering all that in lieu of other things. They are, after all, accustomed not only to wield power and take it for granted, but to make it as unpleasant as possible for any would-be challengers to ever consider the simplest act of dissent on this Commonwealth.

I enjoy campaigning, my friends. Always have, and always will. But it’s hard to see the attractiveness of engaging in this necessary political arena only to be met with the sort of attitudes that poison politics and make them so unattractive at times. And so I’m here, for the first time in quite a while, to talk to you and wonder whether there isn’t a different way to get things done.

I am a proud citizen of this Commonwealth. Have been since it was formed, will be until the very end. If I believed for a moment that the party I have willingly chosen to join and support was not a suitable vehicle for Commonwealth values and aspirations, I would remain an independent. This is not the case. I believe there is a different way. I believe that not only Utah, but all the states of the Commonwealth of Frémont deserve to aspire towards better politics and better government, and that they deserve hearing different voices and different points of view.

If, much like me, you have come to grow tired of things remaining stagnant, of politics becoming too distasteful, or your representatives being too monolithic or too tribal, then I encourage you to help start doing things differently, and to vote for Mr. Matheson and the Democratic Alliance candidates in this state. I believe – sincerely so – that we can and we must do better in how we conduct our own affairs, on the efficiency of public services, on the quality and scale of transportation, on rational management of the economy, and the necessary respect for the enormous diversity of this state and perhaps even our very own Commonwealth.

Thank you very much for your attention.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies