Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:07:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26)  (Read 137442 times)
Dipper Josh

« on: December 14, 2020, 02:13:51 PM »

Is this another "I'm Mr. Smart Atlas Man this district is filled with Moderate Heros FF, Jessica Cisneros wont even be competitive"

I want to trust you Atlas but I've been burned before. I think it's pretty ludicrous to right off the bat assume she's going to get 4th or 5th when she's likely to have a fair bit of national backing and I'd reckon a good amount of money flowing in too.
Dipper Josh

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 07:04:20 PM »

This is already becoming one of my favourite threads on Atlas.

A bunch of people acting like they're experts in the OH-11 district saying she wont be competitive in the first couple pages, then she breaks a fundraising record and pulls in a slew of endorsements almost instantly.

chef's kiss.
Dipper Josh

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2020, 07:23:10 PM »

This is already becoming one of my favourite threads on Atlas.

A bunch of people acting like they're experts in the OH-11 district saying she wont be competitive in the first couple pages, then she breaks a fundraising record and pulls in a slew of endorsements almost instantly.

chef's kiss.

She’s gonna lose, but whatever helps you sleep at night Smiley

Big "Anybody who thinks Nina Turner would win this doesnt understand Ohio politics" energy
Dipper Josh

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 04:55:13 PM »

Will be interesting to see if raising this much so quickly ends up discouraging any potential challengers from jumping in.

Possibly. The early Sanders endorsement was probably also critical in getting other potential left-wing candidates to stay out.

Folks, I know this forum severely underestimates the political savvyness of left wingers but come on. There's no way Nina Turner is dumb enough to punt away a safe house seat just so she can be the sacrificial lamb we put up in 2024.

We need somebody who doesn't have something to lose, Ben Jealous maybe?
Dipper Josh

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 04:25:47 PM »

Will be interesting to see if raising this much so quickly ends up discouraging any potential challengers from jumping in.

Possibly. The early Sanders endorsement was probably also critical in getting other potential left-wing candidates to stay out.

Folks, I know this forum severely underestimates the political savvyness of left wingers but come on. There's no way Nina Turner is dumb enough to punt away a safe house seat just so she can be the sacrificial lamb we put up in 2024.

We need somebody who doesn't have something to lose, Ben Jealous maybe?

I am a left-winger, and I don't appreciate how you directed an entire rant at something I didn't say which should have been directed at someone else in this thread. Do better.

I intended to quote the post above yours, I apologize.

Well, candidates have done so before (e.g., Tulsi Gabbard & John Delaney this cycle), so it's not exactly out of the question, but if her presidential primary chances against Kamala aren't looking so hot (as they presumably won't), then she'd probably just pull a Booker/Inslee/Ryan/Swalwell/Moulton/Rubio/Paul & jump back into her incumbent race before the filing deadline.

I suppose that isn't out of the question, I see it as quite unlikely for a number of reasons. It'd look rather poor on her to jump immediately into a race for higher office as soon as she wins OH-11, and if she did it would immediately draw well funded primary challengers into her district while she's off running the national race. Would they defeat her as an incumbent? Probably not but why cause the trouble. I'm sure she'd know this and act accordingly.
Dipper Josh

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 04:42:50 PM »

Turner keeps on securing local endorsements, this is starting to get ugly.

Idk if Brown supporters are just slow to update the wikipedia page but wow the endorsement difference is massive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_Ohio%27s_11th_congressional_district_special_election

Dipper Josh

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 02:09:14 PM »

This is a good get, and surprisingly this union backed Biden pretty heavily in 2020 apparently. It seems like Turner has very deep connections to Cleveland organized labor, which I think might have been overshadowed by all the progressive firebrandiness she's been doing since 2016.

If nothing else, I would really love to see donut twitter/KHive completely lose it and donate tons of money to whatever Republican grifter opposes her.

Donut twitter?

Back in 2017, I think, Turner and some other people from Our Revolution tried to goto the DNC HQ to give some policy suggestions or something but were blocked by barricades. They were offered donuts and water, which Turner found insulting given that they weren't being heard, which led to a lot of centrist libs on Twitter adopting it as a symbol of antipathy towards the Bernie wing in general and Nina Turnr/Our Revolution specifically.

Literally haven’t heard of this before, but in any case, no one’s gonna donate to Turner’s Republican opponent except the time of Republican who gets duped every two years into donating to whichever random grifter is running against AOC or Maxine Waters.

Yeah, after Trump got elected, her and a bunch of other Green Party / YouTube grifter types came up with a "People's Platform" that was just a rebranding of Bernie's platform.  They've been doing this almost every year -- rehashing the main bumper sticker policies from Bernie's campaign as some new platform or new "movement" or new party, collecting fame/fortune, then immediately forgetting about it.

Anyway, Nina wanted some attention, so she got a handful of her Twitter followers together to go march to the DNC headquarters and hand-deliver the platform to the DNC.  I'm not sure what her followers were told to expect, but Debbie Wasserman Schultz wasn't sitting on her throne waiting for a people's platform.  DNC HQ is just a bunch of low-level staffers and fundraisers.  So for a lack of anything else to do, they just milled around outside for a couple hours and chanted their slogans into a bullhorn and waived signs about the rigged election and livestreamed for their fans.

There were also some barricades in front of the HQ, which Nina claimed were put there specifically to block her from entering.  You can actually see the barricades in question if you just look up the building on street view.  Like, they're always there.

Anyway, some low-level DNC interns decided to bring some refreshments out to the crowd.  Some boxes of donuts, some water coolers, that kind of thing.  Maybe it was a gesture of goodwill.  Maybe the interns actually supported Bernie and Nina and their movement.  But Nina thought it was "seduction":

They tried to seduce us with donuts and water,' she said. 'They’re pompous and arrogant enough to say to the people, you’re not good enough to be on our property — and, oh by the way, we’re just gonna hand you donuts and water over the barricade. That is insulting. Absolutely insulting.

This was such an arrogant, entitled and bizarre thing to say that a bunch of people decided to make fun of her by putting donuts in their Twitter avatars.  The one thing they all have in common is that they think Green Party Nina is a ridiculous clown.  Naturally that makes them an easy target for Nina stans, who do what leftists on Twitter always do by launching 24/7 character assassination campaigns against the most prominent "donut twitter" personalities.

So, that's that story.

Lol

anyway, Local 1199 has just under 30000 members so this is a big pickup.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies