Opinion of "The Death Penalty"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 07:39:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of "The Death Penalty"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Poll
Question: I
Favor It

Oppose It

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Opinion of "The Death Penalty"  (Read 10241 times)
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2006, 06:05:02 PM »

Institutionalized murder.
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2006, 08:39:34 PM »

I do not oppose it in principle but in practice... the endless mandated appeals... the 10 to 20 years before all the legal hurdles are cleared... it is too costly. Life in prison without parole and just be certain the prison is not too "nice". No law libraries, no cable TV, no golf or bowling just 23 hours a day of lockdown and one hour of shackled exercise. As Boss Tweed said, that's worse than death.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2006, 09:06:46 PM »

Sadly, a necessary evil.

Some crimes are only worthy of the death penalty. Life without parole is not an appropriate punishment for some crimes and for some criminals.

That said, I agree with many previous statements regarding the practical application and the problems evident in previous uses of the DP.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2006, 09:49:24 PM »

Strongly favor it.  Murderes are getting off too easily now adays, with the "sometimes it's best to plead insanity" or "if the glove doesn't fit, you must acquit."  Anybody who commits 1st or 2nd degree murder who is net SEVERELY mentally incapacitated should be fried, shot, or injected NO QUESTIONS!  This goes for minors too.  Even a 12-yr-old knows that shooting your mommy in the head is WRONG!

Life in solitary confinement with no chance at parole is "getting off too easily"?  Hell, that's a worse punishment that death.  Death will come eventually, whether the state is in the business of killing people or not.  But I'd certainly rather get the death penalty than be subjected to life in prison.

True, but that costs too much.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2006, 09:51:00 PM »

Strongly favor it.  Murderes are getting off too easily now adays, with the "sometimes it's best to plead insanity" or "if the glove doesn't fit, you must acquit."  Anybody who commits 1st or 2nd degree murder who is net SEVERELY mentally incapacitated should be fried, shot, or injected NO QUESTIONS!  This goes for minors too.  Even a 12-yr-old knows that shooting your mommy in the head is WRONG!

I agree 100%. This country would be a much better place if we started slaughtering twelve year olds. Why don't we just take a nice sharp sword and cut of their heads? Actually, that's too quick and painless. We should torture twelve year olds first, castrate them (if male, if female, we can remove their ovaries while they're still alive and not under any anesthesia), and then take a good old pistol and blow their head off. That'll show 'em not to fcuk with us.

So you're telling me that a 12-yr-old DOESN'T have the mental capacity to know that murder is wrong?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2006, 09:52:11 PM »

Wow, is everything ok up there in side your head?

What's wrong w/ my view?  Honestly, a 12-yr-old knows that murder is wrong.  I made exceptions for mentally handicapped people, but said that using the insanity plea can't be applicable for every case.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2006, 09:52:31 PM »

There's to much crap that surrounds its use nowadays, so I oppose its use for except for a select few.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2006, 09:54:48 PM »

Life in solitary confinement with no chance at parole is "getting off too easily"?  Hell, that's a worse punishment that death.  Death will come eventually, whether the state is in the business of killing people or not.  But I'd certainly rather get the death penalty than be subjected to life in prison.

I'd say its cheaper then endless appeals
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2006, 10:01:20 PM »

It costs more to execute somebody.  Going off the top of my head, it costs on average $2 million to execute a criminal and $25,000 a year to harbor a criminal.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2006, 10:02:52 PM »

It costs more to execute somebody.  Going off the top of my head, it costs on average $2 million to execute a criminal and $25,000 a year to harbor a criminal.
That's what I'm saying!!!!
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2006, 10:51:15 PM »

I agree 100%. This country would be a much better place if we started slaughtering twelve year olds. Why don't we just take a nice sharp sword and cut of their heads? Actually, that's too quick and painless. We should torture twelve year olds first, castrate them (if male, if female, we can remove their ovaries while they're still alive and not under any anesthesia), and then take a good old pistol and blow their head off. That'll show 'em not to fcuk with us.

So you're telling me that a 12-yr-old DOESN'T have the mental capacity to know that murder is wrong?

No, I'm saying that executing 12 year olds is Barbaric, Un-Christian, and most importantly, Un-American.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2006, 11:08:56 PM »

A great program that rids our society of the worst kind of grime.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2006, 11:33:00 PM »

If the death penalty is too costly, we could just put them up in "federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison."  Sorry, couldn't resist that line from Office Space.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2006, 04:09:33 AM »

An artificial cost, since an injection or a rope can be had for pocket change.

Wow, did not expect this result.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2006, 09:10:51 AM »

Even a 12-yr-old knows that shooting your mommy in the head is WRONG!

No it isn't.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2006, 09:12:30 AM »

Even a 12-yr-old knows that shooting your mommy in the head is WRONG!

No it isn't.
Um.....
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2006, 09:17:05 AM »

Strongly favor it, by lethal injection or the electric chair, in cases of ... child molestation, and rape (as States outlined). 

Oh really?  So, lets say someone has sex with an 'underaged' person.. and that younger person was an enthusastic participant (of course while still being 'unable' to consent 'legally').   In this case - one with no physical injuries whatever - you would support the death penalty? 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2006, 09:18:33 AM »

There's no such thing as objective morality, prude.  You just dislike mother-killing, for subjective reasons.  Personally I think it sounds a rather natural developement from the sort of dictatorial power we allow parents.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2006, 09:19:27 AM »

There's no such thing as objective morality, prude.  You just dislike mother-killing, for subjective reasons.  Personally I think it sounds a rather natural developement from the sort of dictatorial power we allow parents.
Holy Shit are you for real?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2006, 09:39:56 AM »

Yes.  Domestic intimacies are naturally the seedbed of murderous passions.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2006, 09:56:45 AM »

Why do you even bother asking? 
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2006, 07:56:23 PM »

How does it cost $2 mill to plug a chair into a wall and turn a switch?  Not to mention that the govt pays all medical bills for those in prison.  So people w/ kidney problems get "free" dialisis on the taxpayers $$$.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2006, 07:57:55 PM »

No, I'm saying that executing 12 year olds is Barbaric, Un-Christian, and most importantly, Un-American.

How?  if they shot somebody, they should be killed.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2006, 08:00:52 PM »

Yes.  Domestic intimacies are naturally the seedbed of murderous passions.

And I'm the one being asked if everythings OK in my head!
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2006, 08:22:37 PM »

Favor in cases of murder, repeat child molestation and in cases of brutal rape.

Pretty much the same, but I would add 'premeditated' for the murder charge, and only used when there can be no doubt of guilt.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies