Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:44:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 150 151 152 [153] 154 155 156 157 158 ... 284
Author Topic: Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration  (Read 341155 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3800 on: November 02, 2021, 02:53:29 PM »

It is obnoxious how much disproportionate attention Virginia gets, much like Iowa and the caucuses, despite really not even being interesting politically.

Proximity to the DC media + off year elections + competitive races do wonders for coverage.

If NJ was still a swing states like in the 80s/90s it would receive a ton of attention too
Why does the media in the UK like talking about London? In Japan, about Tokyo? In France, about Paris? etc.
Virginia is close to the heart of power, of course it gets a lot of media coverage.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #3801 on: November 02, 2021, 02:53:34 PM »

Hopefully we can call Youngkin , YoungKing after tonight
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3802 on: November 02, 2021, 02:54:15 PM »

Cringe
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3803 on: November 02, 2021, 02:56:09 PM »

If Youngkin wins, it'll be almost entirely thanks to low turnout in the Tidewater area.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3804 on: November 02, 2021, 02:56:41 PM »

It is obnoxious how much disproportionate attention Virginia gets, much like Iowa and the caucuses, despite really not even being interesting politically.

Proximity to the DC media + off year elections + competitive races do wonders for coverage.

If NJ was still a swing states like in the 80s/90s it would receive a ton of attention too

It's not.

Whether or not you (and NSV) believe the race is competitive, most of the world believes that it is, and that's what generates the attention.

Also a tip: you don't need to keep responding that way about the competitiveness of the race.  You've made your opinion extremely clear by now. Wink
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3805 on: November 02, 2021, 02:58:24 PM »

It's not.

Whether or not you (and NSV) believe the race is competitive, most of the world believes that it is, and that's what generates the attention.

Also a tip: you don't need to keep responding that way about the competitiveness of the race.  You've made your opinion extremely clear by now. Wink
Fair point, whatever the truth is about VA elections, if people perceive them to be competitive, they'll treat them as such.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #3806 on: November 02, 2021, 02:58:33 PM »

It's not.

I actually hate when someone is so adamant about a point they're making that they have to reiterate it in replies to people who aren't even talking to them. Like yes... you don't believe it's a competitive race... you only have to say it once!
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3807 on: November 02, 2021, 02:58:36 PM »

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3808 on: November 02, 2021, 02:58:52 PM »

All my Trump friends just called and said they're voting for McAuliffe after than poor pun.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #3809 on: November 02, 2021, 02:58:53 PM »

One thing I don't understand is how red avatars can talk out both sides of their head regarding turnout levels.  First, they'll say low turnout is a good sign for them because Democrats' Virginia coalition is full of "high propensity" voters (i.e., White college-educated types.)  Then, they'll turn around in the face of probable +3M turnout and say this is also good for T-Mac?  which is it?  lol

Like, I still fully expect McAuliffe to win ~6 pts but the Atlas pundit-think is beyond silly
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3810 on: November 02, 2021, 03:00:52 PM »

One thing I don't understand is how red avatars can talk out both sides of their head regarding turnout levels.  First, they'll say low turnout is a good sign for them because Democrats' Virginia coalition is full of "high propensity" voters (i.e., White college-educated types.)  Then, they'll turn around in the face of probable +3M turnout and say this is also good for T-Mac?  which is it?  lol

Like, I still fully expect McAuliffe to win ~6 pts but the Atlas pundit-think is beyond silly

I have said all along that very high turnout or very low turnout is good for Dems (because their coalition is high propensity voters + young people/POC) and that Youngkin needed to hit the sweet spot of medium turnout where he can offset the high propensity voters with more suburban and exurban voters but not so high that the cities have high turnout.

Anyways, we are happy not because of total turnout but because of WHERE it's coming from.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3811 on: November 02, 2021, 03:01:07 PM »

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3812 on: November 02, 2021, 03:01:28 PM »

I'm not getting involved in the what-means-what discussion, but it's quite plausible that medium propensity voters lean Republican, while highs and lows both lean Democrat, right?

Thus in that scenario , medium turnout would be good for Youngkin and either extreme would be good for McAuliffe.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3813 on: November 02, 2021, 03:01:30 PM »

He's already hedging his sh**** tweets earlier today.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3814 on: November 02, 2021, 03:01:56 PM »

YoungKING indeed is no republican at all, but a filthy FEDERALIST —an Emperor —an unprincipled banditti of Britiſh ſpeculators —the hireling tool and emiſſary of his majesty king George the 3d.

Virginia Democrats: turn out, turn out, and ſave your country from ruin! Down the the Tories, down with the Britiſh faction!
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3815 on: November 02, 2021, 03:02:04 PM »

So at this point, whether Youngkin wins depends on if he can win a sizable chunk of Biden voters, because the depressed D turnout route doesn’t seem to be a viable option anymore.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3816 on: November 02, 2021, 03:02:32 PM »

"Turnout doesn't tell us much"

"Turnout tells us the FoxNews poll was bull****"
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3817 on: November 02, 2021, 03:02:33 PM »

I think the naunce was that if turnout was very low, that'd be good for Dems as it would mean the GOP base wouldn't turn out *as much*, and if turnout was very high, that's be good for Dems as well as it means that the state's natural D lean is less likely to be overruled by differential turnout (see: AL-SEN 2017).
But some of that naunce can be lost in all the excitement and glee and salivation.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3818 on: November 02, 2021, 03:03:17 PM »

YoungKing more like YawnKing.  But thanks for the meme OSR.
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #3819 on: November 02, 2021, 03:03:19 PM »

We legit have no results and people are acting like the voters are all McAuliffe or Youngkin voters (hey NSV), we just don't know
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #3820 on: November 02, 2021, 03:03:36 PM »

The answer is deleting twitter.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3821 on: November 02, 2021, 03:03:43 PM »

YoungKING indeed is no republican at all, but a filthy FEDERALIST —an Emperor —an unprincipled banditti of Britiſh ſpeculators —the hireling tool and emiſſary of his majesty king George the 3d.

Virginia Democrats: turn out, turn out, and ſave your country from ruin! Down the the Tories, down with the Britiſh faction!
Only by voting for McAuliffe can you defend the Glorious Revolution!
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #3822 on: November 02, 2021, 03:06:44 PM »

Best advice ever posted on Atlas.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3823 on: November 02, 2021, 03:07:35 PM »

Best advice ever posted on Atlas.

Yes great advice.

*immediately refreshes twitter for updated turnout reports*
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #3824 on: November 02, 2021, 03:07:43 PM »

I have said all along that very high turnout or very low turnout is good for Dems (because their coalition is high propensity voters + young people/POC) and that Youngkin needed to hit the sweet spot of medium turnout where he can offset the high propensity voters with more suburban and exurban voters but not so high that the cities have high turnout.

Anyways, we are happy not because of total turnout but because of WHERE it's coming from.

Therefore I believe the culprit to be Phyllis, the person I most medium suspect.
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 150 151 152 [153] 154 155 156 157 158 ... 284  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies