Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:57:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 284
Author Topic: Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration  (Read 340480 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1600 on: October 17, 2021, 07:28:26 AM »

The Republican Party stands for the same things in Virginia, Florida, Texas, Wisconsin, you name it. Why should Democrats vote for someone who will run down their public services, pander to the racists in their policies, deny women the right to choose, do nothing about climate change, and even try to rig the system so Democrats are unfairly disadvantaged? It's different when in cases like Maryland and Louisiana, the minority party actually tries to reflect the views of their state and avoid the stuff people hate from their party. However, there's no reason for people who didn't support Trump to support Youngkin. Frankly, polarisation isn't a bad thing, people should be consistent and vote their views up and down the ballot. The problem is that the American political system is poorly designed so that it's far too hard for either party to get a fair chance to win full control and then do what they promise.

That's not a problem; it's the way our system was designed.  It was designed to require major changes to come through CONSENSUS, not through the Tyrrany of the Majority.

As for the upcoming race, I'll say this:  McAuliffe does not have much personal popularity.  He almost lost to Ken Cuccinelli in 2013, and Cuccinelli was given up on by the National GOP.  McAuliffe is a slight fave and he should be, but he's very much vulnerable, and he does not have the kind of personal popularity to overcome a massive GOP wave should there be one.
roxas11
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1601 on: October 17, 2021, 08:16:32 AM »

The virginia race (and other races at this point) are illustrating what is wrong with american politics. Things are way, WAY too nationalized. A truly intellectual voter wouldn't give 2 sh**ts about trump or biden in a gubernatorial race.

Whatever happened to the radical idea that your vote for governor should be determined by your VIEWS OF THE CANDIDATES AND THEIR POLICIES.

It makes me so angry to hear rural VA voters in interviews cite "biden and the border" and urban frumpy, educated women cite "trump" when asked about their views of the VA race.

It is bad news, all around. State parties should be penalized and rewarded for how their state is doing, not for how the national parties are perceived. We are entering an era where state parties can drive their states into the ground with horrible policy and voters don't punish them because a vote for a local candidate of the opposing party is somehow seen as "voting for the national opposing party"

This needs to end, quickly. A pox on ANYONE who votes for youngkin solely because trump said so, or for mcauliffe because "i hate trump" '

it's lazy, it's not scholarly, and you sound like a low iq, social media addicted loser.

It used to not be this way, as late as 2014.

voters in louisiana had no problem voting D for governor after gop misrule

voters in maryland voted gop after dem misrule

voters in CT nearly elected gop governor

illinois elected gop governor

North carolina elected dem governor

it's f'n bs what is happening now.

Its Glenn Youngkins own fault for that because in that now infamous video when he was asked if he would support defunding Planned Parenthood and a ban on abortion

This was his response

I’m going to be really honest with you, the short answer is in this campaign I can’t. When I’m governor, and I have a majority in the House, we can start going on offense. But as a campaign topic, sadly, that in fact won’t win me independent votes that I have to get.

Somebody like Larry hogan or any other moderate Republican would have never responded to that question like that. If Youngkin truly belived that this election had nothing to do with national politics he would have never even entertained the idea of getting into a fight with Planned Parenthood in the first place.

Glenn Youngkin private comments made it clear to me that he does now want to be the next Larry hogan he wants to be the next Ron Desantis and Greg Abbott

So while I overall agree with your premise that things are becoming too nationalized. Lets not for 1 second fool ourselves into thinking that Glenn Youngkin will be a governor who will ignore national politics lol
Virginia isn't Maryland. Most of Youngkin's votes (even if he wins) will be coming from Republicans, he just needs quite a few Democrats and independents too.
He can't campaign as a RINO because then Republicans won't vote for him and he'll lose even worse.

True, but Virginia also is not Alabama or Mississippi

We simply can't ignore the fact that this is a state that has voted for Obama, Hillary Clinton and now Joe Biden while increasingly rejecting the republican party

It is not a smart strategy at all for Youngkin to be runing around the state telling people that he is going on offense against abortion and planned parenthood if he wins. Being caught making foolish statements like that makes it a lot harder for him to win over a those Democrat and independent voters that he really needs.

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1602 on: October 17, 2021, 09:04:02 AM »

The Republican Party stands for the same things in Virginia, Florida, Texas, Wisconsin, you name it. Why should Democrats vote for someone who will run down their public services, pander to the racists in their policies, deny women the right to choose, do nothing about climate change, and even try to rig the system so Democrats are unfairly disadvantaged? It's different when in cases like Maryland and Louisiana, the minority party actually tries to reflect the views of their state and avoid the stuff people hate from their party. However, there's no reason for people who didn't support Trump to support Youngkin. Frankly, polarisation isn't a bad thing, people should be consistent and vote their views up and down the ballot. The problem is that the American political system is poorly designed so that it's far too hard for either party to get a fair chance to win full control and then do what they promise.

That's not a problem; it's the way our system was designed.  It was designed to require major changes to come through CONSENSUS, not through the Tyrrany of the Majority.

As for the upcoming race, I'll say this:  McAuliffe does not have much personal popularity.  He almost lost to Ken Cuccinelli in 2013, and Cuccinelli was given up on by the National GOP.  McAuliffe is a slight fave and he should be, but he's very much vulnerable, and he does not have the kind of personal popularity to overcome a massive GOP wave should there be one.

Not sure what his personality popularity in 2013 before he won the first time has to do with his personal popularity 8 years later after serving an entire term as gov.

Also according to the Fox poll, he IS the most popular person in the entire bunch between the two parties.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1603 on: October 17, 2021, 10:21:36 AM »

T Mac was endangered of losing die to a prolonged Govt Shutdown in VA is a Govt state and they can't layoff TSA workers like they did in 2019/ since no Govt shutdown D's win that was the last day of hope for Youngkin

Just like if McCarthy becomes Speaker and shutdown Govt with Biden, D's will win the H back in 2024

DS0816
« Reply #1604 on: October 17, 2021, 10:24:16 AM »

So I'm not sure what's going on here. Perhaps the Democrats have me dialed in as a reliable Dem voter, since I did vote in the Democratic presidential primary in 2020 and the state primary in 2021. Or they figure across the board that there are more Democrats than Republicans in Virginia, and if they get anything remotely like 2018 or 2020 turnout, they're gonna win.

Part of it depends on where you are.

I live in Wayne County, Michigan.

Country seat is Detroit.

Republicans have not carried the county, thinking specifically for U.S. president, since 1928.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1605 on: October 17, 2021, 10:47:38 AM »

McAuliffe is kind of a Democratic Trump.  Fairly moderate on an actual policy level, but constantly having personal scandals and putting his foot in his mouth.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1606 on: October 17, 2021, 10:48:35 AM »

McAuliffe is kind of a Democratic Trump.  Fairly moderate on an actual policy level, but constantly having personal scandals and putting his foot in his mouth.

Haven't seen any of that this entire campaign? (and no, the teachers/parents thing does not count)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1607 on: October 17, 2021, 11:05:17 AM »

This article provides literally zero proof that the GOP message on education is or isn't working with Suburban moderates. If anything, the few legitimate data points it includes points to no. But let's not get in front of the narrative we're trying to achieve!

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1608 on: October 17, 2021, 11:08:32 AM »

McAuliffe is kind of a Democratic Trump.  Fairly moderate on an actual policy level, but constantly having personal scandals and putting his foot in his mouth.

What personal scandals?  Has he been cheating on his wife?  Has he molested any models or other younger women while I was sleeping?  Tongue

The only thing he has done that might have raised eyebrows was when he wrestled an alligator years ago, but apart from that I am at a loss.....  
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1609 on: October 17, 2021, 11:51:15 AM »

McAuliffe is kind of a Democratic Trump.  Fairly moderate on an actual policy level, but constantly having personal scandals and putting his foot in his mouth.

What personal scandals?  Has he been cheating on his wife?  Has he molested any models or other younger women while I was sleeping?  Tongue

The only thing he has done that might have raised eyebrows was when he wrestled an alligator years ago, but apart from that I am at a loss.....  

He’s pretty cool, then.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1610 on: October 17, 2021, 02:11:39 PM »

This article provides literally zero proof that the GOP message on education is or isn't working with Suburban moderates. If anything, the few legitimate data points it includes points to no. But let's not get in front of the narrative we're trying to achieve!

What narrative?

It's an interesting article about that [VA] GOP sees education as an opening. Further, the article says, that GOP will use it nationally, if it will have worked in VA election. The article doesn't claim, it will work, they say, GOP thinks it might work.

You should stop "unskewing" articles  Tongue

Youngkin could be an example for Republicans to use in next year's congressional midterm elections.

“If Youngkin is able to improve his margins in suburbs that have gone from red to blue over the past decade in Virginia, we could see this used as a blueprint in the midterms in certain place," she added.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1611 on: October 17, 2021, 02:25:08 PM »

Who won?
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1612 on: October 17, 2021, 02:40:33 PM »

Question: on what issues was doug jones more in tune with alabama than youngkin is with virginia, that allowed him to win in a much more hardcore state?
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1613 on: October 17, 2021, 02:41:59 PM »
« Edited: October 17, 2021, 02:45:45 PM by Forumlurker »

Question: on what issues was doug jones more in tune with alabama than youngkin is with virginia, that allowed him to win in a much more hardcore state?
I dunno, something about his opponent being a literal pedophile.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1614 on: October 17, 2021, 02:50:52 PM »

Whether it's an accident or a choice is besides the point. I know you disagree, but a system of government that produces constant gridlock is worse than one that gets stuff done. The majority has far too little power compared to the minority. Lots of other countries have governments that function a lot better than the US, that actually solve some problems, and so trust is higher.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #1615 on: October 17, 2021, 02:51:29 PM »

The Biden voters are going to support a Republican gubernatorial candidate once they realize he has a great plan for statewide public education in Virginia.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #1616 on: October 17, 2021, 02:54:30 PM »

If forced to compare him to any Republican from a federal election I'd probably compare him to Thom Tillis. He's not evil by any means, and he's hard to get upset about, but he's not likable and should be easy to beat even in unfriendly territory but isn't because the opposing party is too incompetent.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #1617 on: October 17, 2021, 04:39:00 PM »

MS-13 all over again

https://wamu.org/story/17/10/23/gillespie-northam-ms-13-gang-matters-virginia-voters/
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #1618 on: October 17, 2021, 05:13:22 PM »

Who won?

Well Terry drank a ton of gatorade before, so he was able to easily beat back the actual gator. No contest! Wink
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1619 on: October 17, 2021, 05:16:12 PM »

Parents have a right to vote for politicians and board members who fit their values.  Parent's don't have a right to storm into board meetings and demand certain things be taught.  This has become a pattern among the GOP over the last 20 years, starting with GWB. 

Didn't like the Florida recount?  No problem storm the recount facility.

Didn't like the 2020 election results?  Storm the Capitol. 

Don't like what politicians say?  Just follow Lindsey Graham around the airport until he's intimidated enough?  (granted some extremist Dems are doing this to Sinema now too...)

Don't like School Boards?  Storm school board meetings. 

The problem with the modern GOP is that the base thinks they know best for society despite being the least educated/qualified members of society.  So they use intimidation and threats of violence to try to get accomplished what they can't at the ballot box.

Wasn’t this iteration of the GOP (post-Iraq, post-W, post-Lehman) basically started when the TEA Party demonstrators started storming congressional outreach meetings?

It gained momentum then because Obama's election kicked their racist reactionaryism into overdrive.  But I really trace it back to GWB who significantly dumbed down the GOP.  Dumbs were attracted to him like crack and that's when you started to see wealthy and educated suburbs bail on the GOP big time.  Before then wealthy suburbs like Fairfield and Fairfax and Orange County weren't just Republican, they were the backbone of the GOP.  GWB's stupidity and backwards cultural stands repelled these people to split their vote and eventually become the backbone of the Democratic Party (now through the 2020's).  The problem for the GOP is that their current coalition doesn't work.  They traded them for rural areas, but rural areas can't counterbalance big cities AND wealthy inner suburbs, that's where 60-70% of the US population lives...
roxas11
United States

« Reply #1620 on: October 17, 2021, 05:59:31 PM »
« Edited: October 17, 2021, 06:03:13 PM by roxas11 »

What narrative?

It's an interesting article about that [VA] GOP sees education as an opening. Further, the article says, that GOP will use it nationally, if it will have worked in VA election. The article doesn't claim, it will work, they say, GOP thinks it might work.

You should stop "unskewing" articles  Tongue

Youngkin could be an example for Republicans to use in next year's congressional midterm elections.

“If Youngkin is able to improve his margins in suburbs that have gone from red to blue over the past decade in Virginia, we could see this used as a blueprint in the midterms in certain place," she added.

The media tends to push the narrative that the president's party is in trouble even when it does not always reflect reailty. A perfect example of this is when the media thought Bill Clintion impeachment would sink his party in the 1998 midterms only to be shocked when the Democrats actually gained seats that year

The reality is the media will always say that the president's party is struggling because it provides them with more clicks on their websites and allows them to get bigger ratings by claiming that the president's party must win almost every election leading up to midterms otherwise they are in trouble. they did it with Obama, Trump and now they are doing it with Biden

If some don't like the narrative the media is pushing right now than just wait till we get to 2022 because the Midterm year is when the media really start finding any negative thing they can in order to make the party in power look as bad as possible. For example, Obama response to Ebola was successful, but that was not how the media portrayed it at all during the 2014 election year and Based on how they were acting you would have thought that Ebola wiped out most of the US population lol

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1621 on: October 17, 2021, 06:31:05 PM »

What narrative?

You should stop "unskewing" articles  Tongue

Let's just even start with the tweet - "Virginia Republicans have found an issue that unites their fractious base without turning off the suburban moderates they need to win statewide: education."

That is not true. Where is the evidence of this? It doesn't say "Virginia Republicans THINK they have found..." - it says it as a matter of fact, which is not - and this article provides no tangible evidence that Suburban voters are being swayed by this topic.

In fact, the entire article is predicated on this notion that is literally debunked ALSO in the article - that T-Mac is winning parents by nearly double digits!
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1622 on: October 17, 2021, 06:33:31 PM »

MS-13 all over again

https://wamu.org/story/17/10/23/gillespie-northam-ms-13-gang-matters-virginia-voters/

So, Youngkin and other Republicans are supposed to win now because right wingers keep crashing school board meetings to use as a platform to display conspiratorial, bonkers beliefs?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1623 on: October 17, 2021, 06:47:52 PM »

MS-13 all over again

So, Youngkin and other Republicans are supposed to win now because right wingers keep crashing school board meetings to use as a platform to display conspiratorial, bonkers beliefs?

Exactly... this entire narrative is bonkers given the fact that most suburban moderates probably see this crazy nutbags crashing school board meetings with their talk of "indoctrination" and "CRT" and think they're crazy.

Yet Politico, NBC, and other outlets want us to believe that those crazies are doing things that perfectly align with the suburban moderates who have trended away from the GOP for being so extreme.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1624 on: October 17, 2021, 07:17:42 PM »

Poll after poll shows CRT is not popular.

Parents want their kids learning the 3 Rs and basic history
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 284  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies