Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:34:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 284
Author Topic: Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration  (Read 340578 times)
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1100 on: August 15, 2021, 06:59:18 PM »

Could the afganistan fiasco hurt mcaulife in NOVA?

NOVA is AN EXTREMELY pro-interventionist area of the country.

No it really is not. Sorry to burst your bubble. And that type of policy is not exactly a fully partisan issue.

you are seriously arguing that an area of america where a huge chunk of people work for fbi, cia, dod, and numerous defense contractors isn't pro-interventionist? lol

there is a reason the GOP dominated the region from reagan to bush

Oh boy. another person who believes that Nova flips back to the GOP just because Trump is out of office and thinks the electorate here is the same as 2000.

Not worth pages long of arguments.

But Afghanistan will have little if any impact on this election.

He also seems to actually believe that the FBI and CIA employees are a "huge chunk" of the electorate, as if they dominate a metro area of 6 million people. 
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1101 on: August 15, 2021, 07:03:21 PM »

I have no idea how Northam's K-12 Mask Mandate will impact the election. Will energize the GOP base but I have my doubts the Biden voters in Virginia would respond that badly to requiring masks for a population largely ineligible for vaccination.

The majority of people agree with the school mask mandates. I think that's what a lot of people are missing, despite the few kooks that are coming to school board meetings.
Wtf no they don't?? Both young people and parents are sick of the mask BS. THere is no need for them anyway because of the vaccine.

The majority of people who show up to board meeting super spreader events are against them but the rest of society is happy they are in place.  Also, a lot of these wackjobs showing up at board meetings are apparently not even parents, just professional agitators.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1102 on: August 15, 2021, 10:01:13 PM »

Even I do not think it is unreasonable to require masks in schools and I have spent the last year and a half literally DEMANDING that schools and businesses are opened.. Most school aged children can not be vaccinated yet.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1103 on: August 15, 2021, 10:56:21 PM »

Even I do not think it is unreasonable to require masks in schools and I have spent the last year and a half literally DEMANDING that schools and businesses are opened.. Most school aged children can not be vaccinated yet.

Shutdowns were probably a mistake in retrospect because the CDC didn't know what it was dealing with.  This whole thing would have gone more smoothly if we never shut down but required masks in public from day 1. 

That said, it is really not too much to ask the Trump BABIES to wear a mask if they refuse to get a vaccine.  But the Trump BABIES have turned this into an affront on their civil liberties.  As if requiring people wear things is somehow a violation of their rights.  Even though pretty much every public space requires people wear reasonable clothing and not just go outside naked.
LtNOWIS

« Reply #1104 on: August 15, 2021, 11:40:56 PM »

Could the afganistan fiasco hurt mcaulife in NOVA?

NOVA is AN EXTREMELY pro-interventionist area of the country.

I don't see why it would. The governor has zero control over foreign policy.
Yeah speaking as an extremely "NOVA" guy, who has followed events in Afghanistan very closely for years, I'm gutted by recent developments. Awful result for millions of Afghans, and for the US's place in the world.

But I don't blame McAuliffe for that, he's not a foreign policy guy by any means, and had nothing to do with any of that.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1105 on: August 16, 2021, 12:57:08 AM »

I fully suspect that if mcauliffe wins that there will be a second insurrection attempt and a storming of the Richmond Capital.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #1106 on: August 16, 2021, 10:21:47 AM »

I think there's some truth to the idea that Nova is less isolationist than the rest of the country but Afghanistan is a very different situation and I do not think many people here care much about the withdrawal.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1107 on: August 16, 2021, 05:45:52 PM »

Just saw a new Youngkin ad, he absolutely demolished McAuliffe on the premature Afghanistan withdrawal.  Race is over.  Pro-interventionist NOVA is going to deliver for its hometown hero Glenn Youngkin and Matty will be hailed as an amazing political prognosticator for years to come.

But anyways, on Earth 1, the amount of spending Youngkin must be doing is insane.  He's on every channel on prime time on DC stations, meaning it's probably being blasted to NOVA/DC/and parts of Maryland.  He actually seems to be trying to cut into the NOVA margins.  Which, to be fair, is the right strategy.   He can't win unless he gets the Dem margin down 10 points in Fairfax.  Downstate vote isn't going to cut it.  He's been very cautious to look like a Trumpy politician but not say one word that offends liberals.  But at the end of the day he's unlikable and bland and this is a waste of time and money.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1108 on: August 16, 2021, 05:50:08 PM »

Just saw a new Youngkin ad, he absolutely demolished McAuliffe on the premature Afghanistan withdrawal.  Race is over.  Pro-interventionist NOVA is going to deliver for its hometown hero Glenn Youngkin and Matty will be hailed as an amazing political prognosticator for years to come.

But anyways, on Earth 1, the amount of spending Youngkin must be doing is insane.  He's on every channel on prime time on DC stations, meaning it's probably being blasted to NOVA/DC/and parts of Maryland.  He actually seems to be trying to cut into the NOVA margins.  Which, to be fair, is the right strategy.   He can't win unless he gets the Dem margin down 10 points in Fairfax.  Downstate vote isn't going to cut it.  He's been very cautious to look like a Trumpy politician but not say one word that offends liberals.  But at the end of the day he's unlikable and bland and this is a waste of time and money.

is McAuliffe gonna start airing ads or?
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1109 on: August 16, 2021, 05:56:52 PM »

He does air ads as well just not nearly as many.  I've seen a more balanced number of ads on YouTube and online.  McAuliffe was actually showing up more until recently but now even online I'm seeing more Youngkin ads than McAuliffe.  Predictably, most of his ads are trying to tie Youngkin to Trump + highlighting how Youngkin refuses to debate him.  The Youngkin ads are all about how he's a victim of negative attack ads because McAuliffe wont focus on the real issues (not that Youngkin is mentioning any himself).
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1110 on: August 16, 2021, 06:07:51 PM »

I saw a lot more Youngkin ads than TMac during the Olympics on the DC NBC channels. He had quite a few, but I got the impression from all of them that his words and backdrops were carefully selected to speak to two audiences. Obviously he wants this image of a normal suburban businessman, but if you are engulfed in Conservative media then you will pick up on the various subtexts that a Democratic voter might not. He had a family one that had hints of his evangelical faith and a industry one with the subtext of a full reopening for example.

No downballot ads.
LtNOWIS

« Reply #1111 on: August 16, 2021, 08:41:11 PM »

He does air ads as well just not nearly as many.  I've seen a more balanced number of ads on YouTube and online.  McAuliffe was actually showing up more until recently but now even online I'm seeing more Youngkin ads than McAuliffe.  Predictably, most of his ads are trying to tie Youngkin to Trump + highlighting how Youngkin refuses to debate him.  The Youngkin ads are all about how he's a victim of negative attack ads because McAuliffe wont focus on the real issues (not that Youngkin is mentioning any himself).
I feel like we're at a stage in modern elections where every TV set is just saturated with ads, so much so that there's nowhere for additional money to go.

Conversely, there are tons of people like me who don't watch traditional TV, who get no ads. All my YouTube ads are for health care or joining the Air Force, even though I vote religiously.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1112 on: August 16, 2021, 08:59:52 PM »

I saw a lot more Youngkin ads than TMac during the Olympics on the DC NBC channels. He had quite a few, but I got the impression from all of them that his words and backdrops were carefully selected to speak to two audiences. Obviously he wants this image of a normal suburban businessman, but if you are engulfed in Conservative media then you will pick up on the various subtexts that a Democratic voter might not. He had a family one that had hints of his evangelical faith and a industry one with the subtext of a full reopening for example.

No downballot ads.

I absolutely picked up on this too.  You kind of see a lot of red subtly placed in his ads (MAGA), lots of pseudo religious stuff in the background, white kids everywhere.  It's not explicitly evangelical but  it's obvious who he is targeting.  Then he has the token minority here or there.  Being a total phony like him never works though.  It didn't work for Gillespie and it won't work for this guy. 
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1113 on: August 16, 2021, 09:01:02 PM »

I feel like we're at a stage in modern elections where every TV set is just saturated with ads, so much so that there's nowhere for additional money to go.

Conversely, there are tons of people like me who don't watch traditional TV, who get no ads. All my YouTube ads are for health care or joining the Air Force, even though I vote religiously.

Yes, though I wonder if he could be using this money for direct voter outreach and turnout.  It would be scary if he's also doing that at the same magnitude.  He's literally trying to buy this seat Bloomberg style.
cg41386
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.39, S: -7.74

« Reply #1114 on: August 17, 2021, 12:52:29 PM »

Just saw a new Youngkin ad, he absolutely demolished McAuliffe on the premature Afghanistan withdrawal.  Race is over.  Pro-interventionist NOVA is going to deliver for its hometown hero Glenn Youngkin and Matty will be hailed as an amazing political prognosticator for years to come.

But anyways, on Earth 1, the amount of spending Youngkin must be doing is insane.  He's on every channel on prime time on DC stations, meaning it's probably being blasted to NOVA/DC/and parts of Maryland.  He actually seems to be trying to cut into the NOVA margins.  Which, to be fair, is the right strategy.   He can't win unless he gets the Dem margin down 10 points in Fairfax.  Downstate vote isn't going to cut it.  He's been very cautious to look like a Trumpy politician but not say one word that offends liberals.  But at the end of the day he's unlikable and bland and this is a waste of time and money.

He is. I'm on vacation in the Outer Banks of NC, so I've seen a few gubernatorial ads. I've only seen the same one from McAuliffe, and I've seen a couple different ones from Youngkin, including a cringe ad featuring his dog. And one where he says McAuliffe is too dangerous for Virginia, except for the fact he already served a term as Governor and certainly didn't destroy the Commonwealth.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1115 on: August 17, 2021, 07:45:05 PM »

I honestly think Youngkin woke up bored one day and decided to run for Governor.  He should have just used the money to fly into space for 15 minutes instead.  Far more return on the investment.  He clearly doesn't know why he's running and his cringe dog dad ads aren't articulating it to voters either.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1116 on: August 21, 2021, 11:39:59 AM »

The horse-race narrative has begun:

Polls show close race for Virginia governor, with lots of voters up for grabs
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1117 on: August 21, 2021, 11:50:00 AM »

Bottom line: Maybe the Afghanistan issue will switch...10,000 or something to Youngkin maybe? If the race is close enough to where those 10,000 voters made a difference, McAuliffe has clearly had other issues.
Lognog
United States

« Reply #1118 on: August 21, 2021, 12:06:30 PM »

Bottom line: Maybe the Afghanistan issue will switch...10,000 or something to Youngkin maybe? If the race is close enough to where those 10,000 voters made a difference, McAuliffe has clearly had other issues.

can't tell you how often FP decides governor races in Virginia

/s
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1119 on: August 22, 2021, 01:20:43 AM »

These narratives are ridiculous and belied by their own reporting...

"Half of the voters in a Roanoke College poll have no opinion of Youngkin."

It's a horse-race but half the people have no clue about one of the candidates!
UncleSam

« Reply #1120 on: August 22, 2021, 04:28:15 AM »

LOL guess the media has decided to focus on VA as the headline grabbing race this year. I wonder how they’re going to keep people interested once McAuliffe starts polling 15 points ahead.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1121 on: August 23, 2021, 01:08:22 AM »

If McAuliffe wins it will be a result of having a proven track record as governor already and the state's further increasing liberal bent.

If Youngkin wins it will be a result of a depressed Democratic turnout in DC area and a very strong Republican turnout in places like Chesterfield and Virginia Beach. Also, it will have also been a result of Youngkin doing better than expected in the debates and being able to tie McAuliffe to Biden somehow.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1122 on: August 23, 2021, 01:34:57 AM »

If McAuliffe wins it will be a result of having a proven track record as governor already and the state's further increasing liberal bent.

If Youngkin wins it will be a result of a depressed Democratic turnout in DC area and a very strong Republican turnout in places like Chesterfield and Virginia Beach. Also, it will have also been a result of Youngkin doing better than expected in the debates and being able to tie McAuliffe to Biden somehow.

Attacking a president who's not underwater isn't going to help very much. Also, GE debates change nobody's mind.

Military issues would definitely be more effective as a national issue than a state one, even in vet-heavy Virginia.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1123 on: August 23, 2021, 01:36:27 AM »

Attacking a president who's not underwater isn't going to help very much. Also, GE debates change nobody's mind.

Military issues would definitely be more effective as a national issue than a state one, even in vet-heavy Virginia.

This also assumes Biden will be underwater on election day but there's a good chance he's back to being firmly approved by then as well.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #1124 on: August 23, 2021, 02:36:28 AM »

Biden's approvals are already in the toilet.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 284  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies