Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 05:16:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 121 122 123 [124] 125 126 127 128 129 ... 284
Author Topic: Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration  (Read 349308 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3075 on: November 01, 2021, 11:01:09 AM »

Worst campaign ever

He keeps repeating that lie about children with covid. Even the Daily Beast calls him out on it.

What a sleazy dbag. He uses false statistics to justify first amendment violations.

+ The idea that Youngkin would "do away" with masks/vaccines is just fearmongering nonsense. Things would stay largely the same. They just wouldn't be forced by the government like McAuliffe wants.

What's more cause for concern in my opinion is the general demonization/ostracization of the unvaccinated like they're 2nd class citizens by nearly all (D) politicians at this point (and some R's), and how many people aren't thoroughly disgusted by it. Vaccinated people can still spread and get this virus while being as protected as possible while unvaccinated people have taken a personal risk to not be protected (and that's not even mentioning natural immunity). Youngkin's been very reluctant on this issue too.

The problem with this thinking is that unvaccinated people are not just 'taking the personal risk' for themselves, they're risking OTHER people on top of themselves. That is selfish. Because if I interact with an unvaccinated person, there's still a chance that I get it, and even though I'm vaccinated, I can still get sick. Meanwhile there's much less of a chance of getting it from two vaccinated people interacting. Breakthrough cases exist, and breakthrough deaths exist as well, not to mention if I'm vaccinated but get a little sick, but still then can give it to my child who can't get vaccinated yet. The bottom line is that there's a lot more that can happen then just that single unvaccinated person getting it, and those people aren't thinking of that.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #3076 on: November 01, 2021, 11:05:57 AM »
« Edited: November 01, 2021, 11:11:10 AM by roxas11 »

McAuliffe will go down as a perfect example of how to run a really terrible campaign.

Maybe? But it sure seems like "running a terrible campaign" coincides often with "running in an environment unfavorable to your party." Mainly because it looks like nothing you are doing is sticking or making a difference, but perhaps that's because it's beyond your control and you have to keep trying different things.

This isn't something I'm deciding new in 2021 - I first felt this way in 2014.

True. I'm not denying that Biden's unpopularity will have undoubtedly played some part in it if McAuliffe loses, but losing in a state won by your parties' presidential nominee by ten points a year ago takes at least a fairly sloppy campaign.

Plus, I think most can agree that the McAuliffe campaign HAS been pretty bad.

Biden’s approval in VA is negative in most polls. Terry’s campaign is alright - the problem is we have an unpopular President who isn’t course correcting at all

How in the world is Biden is suppose to be course correcting because It would be 1 thing if everything was going south right now, but in Biden case this here is the reality

Covid cases have massively declined and unemployment is 4.8 percent and dropping

Can you imagine if Obama and the Dems had news like this before heading into the 2010 midterms. He or any other president would have been hailed as a hero right about now. heck if you had told me in 2020 that that Biden would be unpopular with unemployment at 4 percemt I would have not believed you yet here we are....

I just think that Biden more so than any other president I can think of is being hurt at a time when almost everything around him is going to in the right direction. Even trump low numbers during a decent economy still made more sense to me because his many controversies were overshadowing all of the positive news about the economy, but in Biden case he is not even doing crazy stuff like that so that make his low number even more baffling

Unfortunately, I think the social media is playing a big role here and there is nothing Biden can really do about it ​beacue no matter how good things get Facebook will still convince a lot of people that the things are worse than they were during the great recession. Sadly, I think that even if inflation went down tomorrow a lot people still would not believe it because some idiot on Facebook would convince them that it just hit record highs

Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3077 on: November 01, 2021, 11:09:14 AM »

McAuliffe will go down as a perfect example of how to run a really terrible campaign.

Maybe? But it sure seems like "running a terrible campaign" coincides often with "running in an environment unfavorable to your party." Mainly because it looks like nothing you are doing is sticking or making a difference, but perhaps that's because it's beyond your control and you have to keep trying different things.

True. I'm not denying that Biden's unpopularity will have undoubtedly played some part in it if McAuliffe loses, but losing in a state won by your parties' presidential nominee by ten points a year ago takes at least a fairly sloppy campaign.

Biden’s approval in VA is negative in most polls. Terry’s campaign is alright - the problem is we have an unpopular President who isn’t course correcting at all

How in the world is Biden is suppose to be course correcting because It would be 1 thing if everything was going south right now, but in Biden case this here is the reality

Covid cases have massively declined and unemployment is 4.8 percent and dropping

Can you imagine if Obama and the Dems had news like this before heading into the 2010 midterms. He or any other president would have been hailed as a hero right about now. heck if you had told me in 2020 that that Biden would be unpopular with unemployment at 4 percemt I would have not believed you yet here we are....

I just think that Biden more so than any other president I can think of is being hurt at a time when almost everything around him is going to in the right direction. Even trump low numbers during a decent economy still made more sense to me because his many controversies were overshadowing all of the positive news about the economy, but in Biden case he is not even doing crazy stuff like that so that make his low number even more baffling

Unfortunately, I think the social media is playing a big role here and there is nothing Biden can really do about it ​beacue no matter how good things get Facebook will still convince a lot of people that the things are worse than they were during the great recession. Sadly, I think that even if inflation went down tomorrow a lot people still would not believe it because some idiot on Facebook would convince them that it just hit record highs

You have just figured out how the right wing manufactured outrage machine works to perfection every single time.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3078 on: November 01, 2021, 11:12:59 AM »

You have just figured out how the right wing manufactured outrage machine works to perfection every single time.

Yep.

It's also why we have conflicting reports on the economy - we have numerous articles saying consumer index is not that bad and economy is booming - backed up with the unemployment rate.

But higher gas prices, inflation, and mainstream outlets yelling "supply chain crisis!!!!!" every day is making people think the economy is worse than it is.

also not to mention that gas prices have nothing to do with the actual economy, but alas
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3079 on: November 01, 2021, 11:18:50 AM »

Because he's doing a f**king terrible job so far? Inflation is out of control (people say it's "transitory", but historically inflation usually takes a few years to kick in after printing a ton of money), the border is a complete mess, supply chain crisis, royally screwed up Afghanistan, has no plan for when COVID restrictions should end, is uniformally liberal despite campaigning as a moderate. He's done a horrible job with the reconciliation bill so far too - why not just focus on doing 1-2 things well as opposed to doing 5+ things poorly? Just seems like a pork-ridden package to democratic interest groups now.

If you guys stop b**ching about "social media misinformation" and actually start doing the work, maybe just maybe Joe Biden would be popular? Like f***, I'm so tired of hearing people make excuses for Biden. I voted for him and expect far better than you guys. My vote isn't free; you have to earn it.  

Now, again, I'm expecting T-Mac to win fairly comfortably (by about 4%), but if Youngkin wins, the democrats need to stop b**ching and start getting to work. Talk to people who don't always agree with you. Implement solutions to the problems they talk about. Focus better on a couple of issues rather than attempting to do a million different things poorly. Joe Biden winning was more of people being concerned about COVID and Trump being unpopular; it's not a showing of huge, widespread support of every aspect of the liberal democrat agenda.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #3080 on: November 01, 2021, 11:25:10 AM »

Yep.

It's also why we have conflicting reports on the economy - we have numerous articles saying consumer index is not that bad and economy is booming - backed up with the unemployment rate.

But higher gas prices, inflation, and mainstream outlets yelling "supply chain crisis!!!!!" every day is making people think the economy is worse than it is.

also not to mention that gas prices have nothing to do with the actual economy, but alas

What amazes me is that even with the current inflation that is still nothing compared to pain that people were experiencing in 2009/2010 during the great recession yet I have seen polls where people have claimed that things today are actually worse than it was during great recession lol

It just goes to show you that a lot of people are increasingly disconnected from reailty

ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #3081 on: November 01, 2021, 11:26:03 AM »

Worst campaign ever

He keeps repeating that lie about children with covid. Even the Daily Beast calls him out on it.

What a sleazy dbag. He uses false statistics to justify first amendment violations.

+ The idea that Youngkin would "do away" with masks/vaccines is just fearmongering nonsense. Things would stay largely the same. They just wouldn't be forced by the government like McAuliffe wants.

What's more cause for concern in my opinion is the general demonization/ostracization of the unvaccinated like they're 2nd class citizens by nearly all (D) politicians at this point (and some R's), and how many people aren't thoroughly disgusted by it. Vaccinated people can still spread and get this virus while being as protected as possible while unvaccinated people have taken a personal risk to not be protected (and that's not even mentioning natural immunity). Youngkin's been very reluctant on this issue too.

The problem with this thinking is that unvaccinated people are not just 'taking the personal risk' for themselves, they're risking OTHER people on top of themselves. That is selfish. Because if I interact with an unvaccinated person, there's still a chance that I get it, and even though I'm vaccinated, I can still get sick. Meanwhile there's much less of a chance of getting it from two vaccinated people interacting. Breakthrough cases exist, and breakthrough deaths exist as well, not to mention if I'm vaccinated but get a little sick, but still then can give it to my child who can't get vaccinated yet. The bottom line is that there's a lot more that can happen then just that single unvaccinated person getting it, and those people aren't thinking of that.

So we're not even going to bring up how many of them have had covid and have natural immunity, or how many of them can get tested on a regular basis if need be? Whatever the herd immunity number is, we've already hit it (>70%), What vaccine has ever had to have 100% of people take it for it to be effective? I'm probably going to put you on ignore anyway but know this is exactly the tribalism I can't stand. For most people, they don't know who or what got them covid but blaming a broad "other" in "unvaccinated" is what the left does now even if they have no proof, and in many highly vaccinated areas people are getting it anyway (the Northeast has higher case rates than Florida right now for example). If I get covid despite being vaccinated, I don't go "ugh those unvaccinated selfish people" as I don't know the health status of other people, I get over it and move on like a normal person, like I would with any other sickness.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3082 on: November 01, 2021, 11:30:36 AM »

Worst campaign ever

So we're not even going to bring up how many of them have had covid and have natural immunity, or how many of them can get tested on a regular basis if need be? Whatever the herd immunity number is, we've already hit it (>70%), What vaccine has ever had to have 100% of people take it for it to be effective? I'm probably going to put you on ignore anyway but know this is exactly the tribalism I can't stand. For most people, they don't know who or what got them covid but blaming a broad "other" in "unvaccinated" is what the left does now even if they have no proof, and in many highly vaccinated areas people are getting it anyway (the Northeast has higher case rates than Florida right now for example). If I get covid despite being vaccinated, I don't go "ugh those unvaccinated selfish people" as I don't know the health status of other people, I get over it and move on like a normal person, like I would with any other sickness.

You're relieving a group of blame when they could care less about other people. If you're refusing to get vaccinated by now, you're being selfish. There's not a whole lot more to it than that. This is not just "any other sickness" and framing it that way is a real slap in the face to the 700K+ people who have died.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3083 on: November 01, 2021, 11:31:36 AM »

ANYWAY... this is a good point.

Northam objectively got a LOT done in his 4 years, and moved the state forward in a lot of ways. That's what's confusing to me about Northam/Biden-Youngkin voters. Northam actually delivered, so while Biden is being stymied a bit by congress, locally in Virginia there's been a lot done! But you wouldn't know that given some of these interviews.

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3084 on: November 01, 2021, 11:32:41 AM »

Because he's doing a f**king terrible job so far? Inflation is out of control (people say it's "transitory", but historically inflation usually takes a few years to kick in after printing a ton of money), the border is a complete mess, supply chain crisis, royally screwed up Afghanistan, has no plan for when COVID restrictions should end, is uniformally liberal despite campaigning as a moderate. He's done a horrible job with the reconciliation bill so far too - why not just focus on doing 1-2 things well as opposed to doing 5+ things poorly? Just seems like a pork-ridden package to democratic interest groups now.

If you guys stop b**ching about "social media misinformation" and actually start doing the work, maybe just maybe Joe Biden would be popular? Like f***, I'm so tired of hearing people make excuses for Biden. I voted for him and expect far better than you guys. My vote isn't free; you have to earn it.  

Now, again, I'm expecting T-Mac to win fairly comfortably (by about 4%), but if Youngkin wins, the democrats need to stop b**ching and start getting to work. Talk to people who don't always agree with you. Implement solutions to the problems they talk about. Focus better on a couple of issues rather than attempting to do a million different things poorly. Joe Biden winning was more of people being concerned about COVID and Trump being unpopular; it's not a showing of huge, widespread support of every aspect of the liberal democrat agenda.

a lot of this is disconnected to reality, but saying things like Universal Pre-K are 'pork-ridden package to democratic interest groups now' really takes the cake
roxas11
United States

« Reply #3085 on: November 01, 2021, 11:37:34 AM »

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3086 on: November 01, 2021, 11:37:41 AM »

Northam objectively got a LOT done in his 4 years, and moved the state forward in a lot of ways. That's what's confusing to me about Northam/Biden-Youngkin voters. Northam actually delivered, so while Biden is being stymied a bit by congress, locally in Virginia there's been a lot done! But you wouldn't know that given some of these interviews.

https://twitter.com/gmoomaw/status/1455171425170493440

That's because voters are by and large ignorant and easily manipulated by media and their preferred party's rhetoric. It's not even that voters are all around stupid or anything - lots of voters are intelligent in certain areas/professions, but they aren't exactly political/election geniuses and to the extent they actually keep up with it,  it's just bits and pieces here and there, and/or nothing but a hardcore diet of brazenly partisan talking points and slanted news designed to convince them of things that might not even be true, which they happily lap up because it confirms many of their preexisting opinions. And woe are the biennial party switchers who ebb and flow with the national mood, who don't really have super nuanced opinions and just tie all their political opinions to whatever their opinion of the president is, because of course that is a sound way to pick lawmakers.

As for TMac's campaign, I'm sure if Biden was popular and he romped to a win with all the other Democrats, everyone would say what an expert campaign he ran and how all his decisions were above average in their ingenuity. And of course if he loses with Biden being unpopular, he of course ran the worst campaign in recent memory and fell prey to the electoral titan that is Glenn Youngkin. It's the same routine thing every 2 years.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3087 on: November 01, 2021, 11:41:30 AM »

roxas11
United States

« Reply #3088 on: November 01, 2021, 11:51:08 AM »

They seem to want to have it both ways because They are predicting Youngkin to win but then they add this....

This was an incredibly tough pick, so if it goes the other way with a McAuliffe win, I won’t be surprised in the slightest. Virginia is, after all, a leftward-trending state where Republicans haven’t won a statewide election since 2009

Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #3089 on: November 01, 2021, 11:52:17 AM »

There is a very thin line between a GOP sweep and a Dem hold with only a 1-2 seat HoD loss.
hyouzel the predictor
hyouzel
United States

P P
« Reply #3090 on: November 01, 2021, 11:59:58 AM »

Two pieces of information straight off the Loudoun Presses...

One, the father (Scott Smith) of the girl sexually assaulted at the first school was at the Halloween Parade in Leesburg and was screaming and demanding to speak with Terry (who was there)... turns out he had a knife on him (like a hunting knife type thing) and he was almost arrested by the cops.

Second, (and this is big information that has not been leaked), the encounter between the rapist and this man (Scott Smith)'s daughter... was consensual (at least at first)... multiple charges of forcible fellatio in one encounter is a little bit unbelievable of a story (apparently to a judge as well)... The story going around is that they had hooked up a couple of times and either got caught, didn't want to continue seeing him, or was actually sexually assaulted (the least likely of these stories IMO) and told her father, a known conservative activist who donated 1.5k to a Republican statehouse candidate before this whole scandal even began. Additionally, this kid is simply not trans (a friend of a friend used to be friends with him), so if the girl or her father did make up this sexual assault story, I can imagine that she would also make up this detail. This explains why the DA placed him in another school (where he did actually sexually assault someone and should be facing severe punishment) but that detail explains a looooooot of why this hubbub is happening right around this election....

https://www.wjla.com/amp/features/i-team/teen-suspect-found-guilty-in-loudoun-county-public-school-stone-bridge-high-bathroom-assault

The rapist was convicted so as a matter of legal fact it was what you are trying to spin as the "least likely story". Dont spread bs.

Btw, I didn't find anything about Hyouzel's second story (about the father). Probably, he made up this one, too.

One, the father (Scott Smith) of the girl sexually assaulted at the first school was at the Halloween Parade in Leesburg and was screaming and demanding to speak with Terry (who was there)... turns out he had a knife on him (like a hunting knife type thing) and he was almost arrested by the cops.

Like I said, the second story is the rumor going around... The first story hasn't been reported on by the news because nothing news worthy happened, I know what happened because I was literally there lmao
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3091 on: November 01, 2021, 12:09:40 PM »

https://twitter.com/gmoomaw/status/1455171425170493440

That's because voters are by and large ignorant and easily manipulated by media and their preferred party's rhetoric. It's not even that voters are all around stupid or anything - lots of voters are intelligent in certain areas/professions, but they aren't exactly political/election geniuses and to the extent they actually keep up with it,  it's just bits and pieces here and there, and/or nothing but a hardcore diet of brazenly partisan talking points and slanted news designed to convince them of things that might not even be true, which they happily lap up because it confirms many of their preexisting opinions. And woe are the biennial party switchers who ebb and flow with the national mood, who don't really have super nuanced opinions and just tie all their political opinions to whatever their opinion of the president is, because of course that is a sound way to pick lawmakers.

As for TMac's campaign, I'm sure if Biden was popular and he romped to a win with all the other Democrats, everyone would say what an expert campaign he ran and how all his decisions were above average in their ingenuity. And of course if he loses with Biden being unpopular, he of course ran the worst campaign in recent memory and fell prey to the electoral titan that is Glenn Youngkin. It's the same routine thing every 2 years.
It's worth noting that as of late the fall in Biden approvals is only part of the story. The disapprovals are stuck at 51%. It's clear what is happening - people who aren't fans of Biden's job performance but are still loyal Democrats, to the point they are even unwilling to say they disapprove of his job performance. It's clear that Biden's fall in approvals has basically minimal in terms of impact on the election, because these sorts of voters would have voted for T-Mac anyway.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3092 on: November 01, 2021, 12:47:54 PM »

Two pieces of information straight off the Loudoun Presses...

Second, (and this is big information that has not been leaked), the encounter between the rapist and this man (Scott Smith)'s daughter... was consensual (at least at first)... multiple charges of forcible fellatio in one encounter is a little bit unbelievable of a story (apparently to a judge as well)... The story going around is that they had hooked up a couple of times and either got caught, didn't want to continue seeing him, or was actually sexually assaulted (the least likely of these stories IMO) and told her father, a known conservative activist who donated 1.5k to a Republican statehouse candidate before this whole scandal even began. Additionally, this kid is simply not trans (a friend of a friend used to be friends with him), so if the girl or her father did make up this sexual assault story, I can imagine that she would also make up this detail. This explains why the DA placed him in another school (where he did actually sexually assault someone and should be facing severe punishment) but that detail explains a looooooot of why this hubbub is happening right around this election....

https://www.wjla.com/amp/features/i-team/teen-suspect-found-guilty-in-loudoun-county-public-school-stone-bridge-high-bathroom-assault

The rapist was convicted so as a matter of legal fact it was what you are trying to spin as the "least likely story". Dont spread bs.

Btw, I didn't find anything about Hyouzel's second story (about the father). Probably, he made up this one, too.

Like I said, the second story is the rumor going around... The first story hasn't been reported on by the news because nothing news worthy happened, I know what happened because I was literally there lmao

If it’s true, with everything else going on, and Republicans win convincingly, it will just show how little damage is actually done to your cause when you are violent.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3093 on: November 01, 2021, 12:54:37 PM »

FWIW, here is the TargetEarly modeled electorate for Early vote, now up to date-

Dems 603K (53%)
Reps 352K (31%)
Unaffiliated 183K (16%)
= 1.14M

https://targetearly.targetsmart.com/g2021?demo_filters=%5B%7B%22key%22%3A%22modeledParty%22%2C%22value%22%3A%22All%22%7D%5D&state=VA
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #3094 on: November 01, 2021, 12:57:59 PM »

Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3095 on: November 01, 2021, 01:00:00 PM »

Needless to say if he wins, it won't be by 17 points.
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #3096 on: November 01, 2021, 01:00:24 PM »

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3097 on: November 01, 2021, 01:06:04 PM »

It is 2pm EST, and no Monmouth or Q-Pac.

Interesting if Q-pac does not release a poll even though it seems we have confirmation they had one in the field.
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #3098 on: November 01, 2021, 01:07:35 PM »

Lol
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3099 on: November 01, 2021, 01:09:28 PM »

Do not listen to target smart data

I lost so much money in 2018 and 2020 on their EV numbers