NH-SEN 2022 Megathread: General Dysfunction
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 07:29:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NH-SEN 2022 Megathread: General Dysfunction
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31]
Author Topic: NH-SEN 2022 Megathread: General Dysfunction  (Read 42353 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #750 on: November 03, 2022, 07:21:43 PM »

I started watching the debate, and I think I understand why the race is now a dead heat. Bolduc is actually a very effective debater and was very well prepared.

If I had to pick a Senate race that has the most potential to be the biggest upset of the year, it is this one. Bolduc has been excellent in pivoting to the center post primary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2ls0Hgqun4

Here’s their final debate from yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imrvCGobADU

Again, if you watch it, it’s not hard to see why the race is a Toss-up. I will say that I’m actually glad Bolduc won the nomination and not Morse (I don’t think he would have been nearly as relentless/on-message in going after her as Bolduc).

She’s also just a very, very poor candidate (and there’s a reason why she’s the only deeply unpopular New England incumbent).

Lol what are you nuts? Bolduc comes across like a MAGA lunatic. Hassan wins by more than 5 points, easy.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #751 on: November 03, 2022, 07:28:18 PM »

She’s also just a very, very poor candidate (and there’s a reason why she’s the only deeply unpopular New England incumbent).

As often happens, I agree with everything in your comment but want to point out a tweak: last time I checked, Elizabeth Warren had remarkably mediocre popularity (<57%) for a Massachusetts Dem.
citizenZ
citizenq
United States

« Reply #752 on: November 03, 2022, 07:38:55 PM »

Wow Bolduc has pulled ahead on RCP.

Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #753 on: November 03, 2022, 07:58:11 PM »

They put the UMASS poll in there but it got dropped out because they started collecting data October 15, and waited 9 days after finishing the poll to release it to the public.
citizenZ
citizenq
United States

« Reply #754 on: November 03, 2022, 08:09:49 PM »

They put the UMASS poll in there but it got dropped out because they started collecting data October 15, and waited 9 days after finishing the poll to release it to the public.

Noise but still shows a trend.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #755 on: November 03, 2022, 08:18:38 PM »

The race has certainly tightened, but relying on RCP, which picks and chooses which polls to include in an opaque but clearly partisan way, is simply not being objective.  538's average, which is much sounder, currently has Hassan +2.9.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #756 on: November 03, 2022, 08:29:16 PM »

Why on Earth are you pointing out anything that garbage RCP puts out, when they pick and choose which polls to include in order to show the best result for the republican?
citizenZ
citizenq
United States

« Reply #757 on: November 03, 2022, 08:49:04 PM »

Why on Earth are you pointing out anything that garbage RCP puts out, when they pick and choose which polls to include in order to show the best result for the republican?

They've been a gold standard website in the political world for decades.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #758 on: November 03, 2022, 08:54:42 PM »

I used to follow them since their founding in 2000 (which is technically decades, I guess, although barely).  Back then they were quite a good political news and polling aggregator.  Over the years they've become much more right-wing and completely lost any veneer of objectivity.  They're no longer a gold standard.  Fool's gold, perhaps.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #759 on: November 03, 2022, 09:12:25 PM »

RCP is such a republican hack site for having Bolduc down more than 538 during the month of September and early October.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #760 on: November 03, 2022, 09:27:25 PM »

I think Hassan could be screwed because Bolduc surged at an inopportune time. If this happened even two weeks ago, I wouldn’t be too worried because he is not a good fit for NH. No idea who had the great idea of directing resources away from NH - he should have been nuked right away without letting up…
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #761 on: November 03, 2022, 09:32:43 PM »

RCP is such a republican hack site for having Bolduc down more than 538 during the month of September and early October.

They were a hack site long before this campaign even started.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #762 on: November 03, 2022, 10:18:36 PM »

LMAOOOOOOOOOOO
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #763 on: November 03, 2022, 10:20:29 PM »

Hassan still up 3 points on 538: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/senate/2022/new-hampshire/
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #764 on: November 04, 2022, 10:18:26 AM »

My general feeling at this point is the race is tightening because the national environment has become fairly good for Republicans recently, but that Hassan still has a narrow edge. Bolduc has certainly managed to be fairly normal in these last few weeks, and so he's been able to ride a general improvement for Republicans to make this race competitive. Probably a two-point race if not closer in the end, maybe something like 2014.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #765 on: November 05, 2022, 10:25:01 AM »

I've noticed that RCP has come under much criticism from progressives and Democrats over the last few months, who claim that it is heavily biased to the right. It does amaze me the extent to which the left is now denigrating and doubting polls, when they claim that it is the right who is guilty of such things. Any pollsters which don't show "favorable" or "plausible" results for Democratic candidates are now regarded with opprobrium.
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #766 on: November 05, 2022, 10:32:23 AM »

I've noticed that RCP has come under much criticism from progressives and Democrats over the last few months, who claim that it is heavily biased to the right. It does amaze me the extent to which the left is now denigrating and doubting polls, when they claim that it is the right who is guilty of such things. Any pollsters which don't show "favorable" or "plausible" results for Democratic candidates are now regarded with opprobrium.

You *know* why this argument is made in bad faith — RCP includes R-sponsored polls but not D-sponsored ones, etc. — but you continue to spout it anyway. Consider why people are upset with you when you continue to put words into their mouths and then argue against strawmen.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #767 on: November 05, 2022, 10:49:36 AM »

I think you bring up a lot of good points that push back at certain narratives that come out of this more liberal dominated forum, but the issue with RCP is less about whether their results are right or wrong but just how the polls they choose to include and not include seem arbitrary other than to make the polling averages more R favorable. Maybe their polling averages will end up being more accurate in many races, but they need to have a hardline set of rules rather than just trying to manually adjust the polling average to what they want it to be.

It’s sort of like how Trafalgar may have been accurate in a few midwestern states in 2020 but the numbers seem to be made up and they have done terribly anywhere that’s not the big 3 because they assume this massive R undercount is universal.

Another way to think about it is how someone can get the right answer on a math test, but if there work doesn’t make any sense or is flat out wrong, they’ll only get partial credit.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #768 on: November 05, 2022, 11:21:25 AM »

You *know* why this argument is made in bad faith — RCP includes R-sponsored polls but not D-sponsored ones, etc. — but you continue to spout it anyway. Consider why people are upset with you when you continue to put words into their mouths and then argue against strawmen.

I'm not doing that, and people here shouldn't be upset when it is their narrative that dominates this forum.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #769 on: November 05, 2022, 11:24:34 AM »

I think you bring up a lot of good points that push back at certain narratives that come out of this more liberal dominated forum, but the issue with RCP is less about whether their results are right or wrong but just how the polls they choose to include and not include seem arbitrary other than to make the polling averages more R favorable. Maybe their polling averages will end up being more accurate in many races, but they need to have a hardline set of rules rather than just trying to manually adjust the polling average to what they want it to be.

It’s sort of like how Trafalgar may have been accurate in a few midwestern states in 2020 but the numbers seem to be made up and they have done terribly anywhere that’s not the big 3 because they assume this massive R undercount is universal.

Another way to think about it is how someone can get the right answer on a math test, but if there work doesn’t make any sense or is flat out wrong, they’ll only get partial credit.

I think this tweet thread by Nate Silver does a fair job of addressing the situation with polling averages:

Many here simply don't want to admit that they think the polling averages should be reflecting what they personally believe is true about these races, and think that if they don't, they are automatically suspect.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies