Joe Biden's Cabinet Speculation/News
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 09:01:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Joe Biden's Cabinet Speculation/News
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 61
Author Topic: Joe Biden's Cabinet Speculation/News  (Read 87751 times)
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: December 01, 2020, 01:02:32 PM »

Neera Tanden is the greatest middle finger to the Bros.  Beautiful pick.

Claire McCaskill would be much better.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #526 on: December 01, 2020, 01:04:10 PM »

What's the appeal of Sally Yates other than being part of the first class of #ResistanceKweens? Genuine question; did she distinguish herself as Deputy AG otherwise?
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #527 on: December 01, 2020, 01:07:01 PM »

What's the appeal of Sally Yates other than being part of the first class of #ResistanceKweens? Genuine question; did she distinguish herself as Deputy AG otherwise?

I’ve read that she gets along well with Biden, which seems to be how he’s picked just about everyone so far
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #528 on: December 01, 2020, 02:00:31 PM »

I’ve read that she gets along well with Biden, which seems to be how he’s picked just about everyone so far
Yeah but Biden has been friends with Doug Jones since the '70s.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #529 on: December 01, 2020, 02:20:22 PM »

True, I like Jones and would love to see him as AG, but I’ve read some people (Clyburn) want for POC in the big four, and others are pushing for women. So with only two spots that’s putting a squeeze of Jones. With Yates specifically she has more obvious and recent qualifications than Jones, whose last relevant qualification was being US Attorney for Middle Alabama in the 90s. Honestly if he hadn’t won his senate seat he likely wouldn’t even be considered and Yates would be the obvious front runner. If Biden had chosen Rice for State I think Jones would be in a better position. I imagine many in Biden’s world are hesitant to have a plurality white male big four.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #530 on: December 01, 2020, 02:57:26 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2020, 03:00:41 PM by Trends are MORE than real »

True, I like Jones and would love to see him as AG, but I’ve read some people (Clyburn) want for POC in the big four, and others are pushing for women. So with only two spots that’s putting a squeeze of Jones. With Yates specifically she has more obvious and recent qualifications than Jones, whose last relevant qualification was being US Attorney for Middle Alabama in the 90s. Honestly if he hadn’t won his senate seat he likely wouldn’t even be considered and Yates would be the obvious front runner. If Biden had chosen Rice for State I think Jones would be in a better position. I imagine many in Biden’s world are hesitant to have a plurality white male big four.

It won't be a plurality white male big four unless Defense goes to a white man, which seems unlikely.

ETA: Oh. Plurality, not majority. Sorry.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #531 on: December 01, 2020, 02:59:28 PM »

Yeah, unless there is some skeleton in Jones' closet we don't know about, Jones is the best pick.  Plus, Yates would have a harder time getting confirmed and we need to fill that office ASAP.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #532 on: December 01, 2020, 03:13:13 PM »

Clyburn needs to get over it. He already got Harris for VP. I'm hesitant to want any of Clyburn's and the CBC's picks anywhere near the administration as most of the "POC" they've bene pushing have been Wall Street execs (i.e. Roger Ferguson). I don't want Deval Patrick anywhere near the admin just because he looks like me.

Now if he picks someone like CA AG Xavier Becerra I could get behind that. But if not, Doug Jones deserves the spot.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #533 on: December 01, 2020, 03:19:25 PM »

Clyburn needs to get over it. He already got Harris for VP. I'm hesitant to want any of Clyburn's and the CBC's picks anywhere near the administration as most of the "POC" they've bene pushing have been Wall Street execs (i.e. Roger Ferguson). I don't want Deval Patrick anywhere near the admin just because he looks like me.

Now if he picks someone like CA AG Xavier Becerra I could get behind that. But if not, Doug Jones deserves the spot.

No yea, I 100% don’t like that Clyburn is pushing a lot of neoliberals and executives that just happen to be black and almost no progressive African-Americans. He’s using his position as the man who won Biden the primary to push a very conservative (by Democrat standards) agenda under the guise of supporting African-Americans. It’s annoying at best.

If Jones get AG women’s groups and Clyburn are maybe gonna clash trying to their nominee in, especially as Michèle Flournoy and Jeh Johnson/Lloyd Austin are the front runners. They might have find a compromise that’ll leave progressives annoyed either way.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #534 on: December 01, 2020, 04:57:45 PM »

Where do we think Buttigieg will land since VA, Defense, State, and UN are out?

One of the key ambassador roles, perhaps to Russia?

Sending a Mayor of a small town with zero foreign policy experience as one of the key ambassadors would be quite strange.

In fairness, I don't believe it is remotely accurate to characterize someone with 8 years experience as a naval intelligence officer as having anything close to "zero foreign policy experience".
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #535 on: December 01, 2020, 06:29:15 PM »

The contract for Emanuel to be Secretary of Transportation is now collapsing on PredictIt.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #536 on: December 01, 2020, 06:37:41 PM »

The contract for Emanuel to be Secretary of Transportation is now collapsing on PredictIt.

Good
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #537 on: December 01, 2020, 06:40:44 PM »

I get Emanuel but what's wrong with Vilsack? Pretty sure he's probably the most inoffensive guy to have served in Washington over the last 2+ decades.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #538 on: December 01, 2020, 06:41:46 PM »

I get Emanuel but what's wrong with Vilsack? Pretty sure he's probably the most inoffensive guy to have served in Washington over the last 2+ decades.

Might be them trying to cull Fudge’s competition
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #539 on: December 01, 2020, 06:47:22 PM »

I feel like there are plenty of people in public life who are solid on nutrition policy but also have constituencies that aren't literally 100% urban. Why is Fudge so much better for USDA than some other such person?
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #540 on: December 01, 2020, 07:34:29 PM »

I feel like there are plenty of people in public life who are solid on nutrition policy but also have constituencies that aren't literally 100% urban. Why is Fudge so much better for USDA than some other such person?

much more delicious
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Slovakia

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: 0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #541 on: December 01, 2020, 07:39:11 PM »

This feels like they are choosing a cabinet in a parliamentary coalition government, only instead of parties it's sexual and ethnic characteristics.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #542 on: December 01, 2020, 08:17:26 PM »

This feels like they are choosing a cabinet in a parliamentary coalition government, only instead of parties it's sexual and ethnic characteristics.

Yes, its the Democratic Party we're talking about.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #543 on: December 01, 2020, 08:23:05 PM »

These people are legitimately qualified though, especially in comparison to Trump's Cabinet of foxes in hen-houses.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #544 on: December 01, 2020, 08:25:00 PM »

These people are legitimately qualified though, especially in comparison to Trump's Cabinet of foxes in hen-houses.

Some are bad, some are good.

Hopefully he picks an Illinois Republican for Department of Transportation.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #545 on: December 01, 2020, 08:26:05 PM »

I mean that's great, even floating Rahm Emmanuel as a cabinet appointee should make you vomit
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #546 on: December 01, 2020, 08:31:47 PM »

Tina Flournoy has been named Kamala Harris's Chief of Staff

Tina Flournoy, who is currently serving as chief of staff to former President Bill Clinton, has been chosen to be Vice President-elect Kamala Harris' chief of staff, according to a source with knowledge of the decision.

Flournoy will join at least two other women of color holding senior roles in Harris' office. Symone Sanders, a senior adviser to the Biden campaign, will serve as a senior adviser and chief spokesperson for the vice president-elect. Ashley Etienne, another senior adviser on the Biden campaign, will serve as communications director for Harris.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #547 on: December 01, 2020, 09:09:53 PM »

I prefer Fudge in part because she doesn't have that sort of constituency, which usually produces candidates who are captured by agribusiness and disinclined to regulate them (see: Heitkamp, Heidi).

That's a good point, but a Secretary of Agriculture from downtown Cleveland still seems like a symbolic spurning of rural America in much the same way that a Secretary of Education who had never been a teacher was a symbolic spurning of educators. (Not that Fudge would be anywhere close to Amway Betsy in terms of actually being able to do the job well, of course; if Biden does pick her I'll support her confirmation wholeheartedly.)
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #548 on: December 01, 2020, 11:15:23 PM »

I prefer Fudge in part because she doesn't have that sort of constituency, which usually produces candidates who are captured by agribusiness and disinclined to regulate them (see: Heitkamp, Heidi).

That's a good point, but a Secretary of Agriculture from downtown Cleveland still seems like a symbolic spurning of rural America in much the same way that a Secretary of Education who had never been a teacher was a symbolic spurning of educators. (Not that Fudge would be anywhere close to Amway Betsy in terms of actually being able to do the job well, of course; if Biden does pick her I'll support her confirmation wholeheartedly.)

This so much. I get she’s on the Nutrition subcommittee, and that that’s important to a lot of people, but so is the agriculture side of the department. They really need to deprecate them out, cause it ends up with two departments under one competing for dominance.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #549 on: December 01, 2020, 11:44:02 PM »

Kamala Harris has 3 black woman on her team, the "economic anxiety" might be sky high for some
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 61  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies