Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:39:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread  (Read 257765 times)
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« on: November 07, 2020, 02:17:28 PM »

Do you guys worry that Democrats will nationalize these races too much for their own good, kind of like what happened in ME?

With the candidates up for election, GA is going to be polarised no matter what.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 06:17:37 PM »

Seems to have gone unnoticed but Klain announced on Meet the Press this morning that Biden will be campaigning in GA ahead of the runoffs.

It's a slow start.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 11:15:35 AM »

Dems need to not only tie MTG/QAnon to both Loeffler and Perdue but also hit both of them HARD for the insider training stuff. There should be nonstop ads about that.

Agreed. And that should even be a tactic going forward for Democrats. Make Boebert, Taylor-Greene, and others a Republican liability like they made The Squad to us.

The difference is that Taylor Greene is simply crazy / dumb, AOC / Omar on the other hand are not crazy nor stupid, they are toxic because they are basically extreme far left.

A better analogy for Taylor Greene is probably Maxine Waters.

Sorry, but comparing Maxine Waters (a longtime community servant who would've probably gone unrecognizable in a lineup before 2017, when right-wing media caricatured her as a typical "angry Black woman") to MTG (a carpetbagger who owes her political career to her support of a conspiracy theory about Satan-worshipping pedophiles that has already motivated domestic terror attempts and is far more toxic than the left wing of the Democratic party) is among the stupidest non-olawakandi takes I've read on this forum.

Are you seriously defending Maxine Waters? She's one of the most ignorant, corrupt, and self-serving members of either House of Congress, and hasn't done anything to benefit her constituents during her nearly thirty years in Congress. A "community servant"? Waters is only a "community servant" when it's for the sake of earning publicity and benefiting her family. And I'm saying this as a black person.

The suggestion of the original post was that there is some kind of equivalency between Waters and Greene because they both appear to be "crazy/dumb," despite the fact that Waters earned this reputation by being swept up in meme culture and caricaturization after decades of being a non-factor, while Greene immediately rose to semi-prominence as a willing proponent of a violent, anti-semitic conspiracy theory.

I certainly think Marjorie Taylor-Greene is an utterly reprehensible character, and I would agree that she's risen to prominence much faster than Waters did. But you described Maxine Waters as if she were some kind of dedicated, caring motherly figure, devoted to her constituents and to her office, who has been wrongly demeaned by Republicans, when she is anything but.

This seems like an unfair characterization. You may not like Waters and her personality or politics, but she appears to be a normal civil servant working for her district?

Maxine Waters doesn't even live in her district, and was investigated by the House Ethics Committee for a bank deal, involving herself and her husband, that she participated in soon after the financial collapse of 2008.

Waters is a prolific pork barreller but only lives a mile or so outside her district because its boundaries moved thanks to redistricting.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 02:12:41 PM »

To anyone who is optimistic about Dem chances in these runoffs, particularly for Ossoff, can you explain why we should expect Ossoff in particular to win given that he lost the 2017 GA-06 special election/runoff? Why should we expect Dem turnout to be better now in a statewide runoff with a President Biden just having been elected than then in GA-06 with a President Trump (and a GOP trifecta at the time)?

One of the major things preventing me from being at all optimistic about these runoffs are the results in that special election at a time when the national environment should have been more favorable for Dems than now.

I think Ossoff and Warnock will lose but the environment could shift in Democrats' favour if Congress lets unemployment support expire before the runoff.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 11:49:22 AM »

Speaking of McGrath, she's finally trying to summon resistance boomers to important Senate races:

TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 06:02:38 PM »

but democrats shouldn't tie MTG to republicans because reasons

Because there are probably more effective attacks.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 07:12:49 AM »

The good thing about Filibuster reform is that you can apply it to certain types of legislation not to everything Schumer can eliminate the filibuster to DC and PR statehood but not apply to other pieces of legislation like weed legalization or Green New Deal, that's why Ds must win both races,😆😆😃

If you remove it for one kind of legislation, that almost guarantees it will be removed for another. PR and D.C. are potentially edge cases because the legislation would be enacted on the bases of referenda that had already passed, but I doubt the Senate Republican caucus will accept that.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 11:53:43 AM »

All Perdue-Warnock voters are sexists or just dumb.

/s ?
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 11:59:24 AM »

No, I'm serious. Perdue isn't fundamentally different than Loeffler.

Perdue hasn't been credibly accused of COVID-19 based insider trading recently.

This is not to say that Loeffler is guilty or that it will lead to meaningful levels of ticket splitting, but presumably some voters believe that.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 12:12:43 PM »

That story got a lot less traction. The only four for whom the allegations were significant enough to warrant an investigation were Feinstein, Inhofe, Loeffler and Burr.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2020, 04:21:20 PM »

If totally true as described, Lean Perdue -> Likely Ossoff

Do you think GA-SPECIAL is likely Warnock?
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2020, 04:24:30 PM »

If totally true as described, Lean Perdue -> Likely Ossoff

Do you think GA-SPECIAL is likely Warnock?

No, but if Perdue is about to be busted by the FBI (assuming Ossoff's description isn't false or spin), he's pretty unlikely to win.

Gillum kept it pretty close under FBI investigation and barely ran behind Nelson. I don't think that shifts enough votes to move the race from lean R to likely D this far out.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2021, 10:11:43 PM »

And lo!

TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2021, 08:21:19 PM »

I'm sympathetic to the argument that Trump's antics cost votes, but that is far from the only reason why Republican turnout might fall most in blood red areas. One could argue this happened because Perdue and Loeffler failed to motivate Trump voters to the same extent and had coasted on his appeal to achieve their stronger performances in November (i.e. that apparently reliable voters were taken for granted).

Personally, I think both the election tantrum and the stimulus debacle caused the defeat and that the latter may have been more decisive in places like GA-14. McConnell's rejection of a populist measure openly embraced by Trump put clear water between the base's favourite and the candidates they'd been told to elect. Loeffler and Perdue may have been doomed because of an inability to completely separate their own images from that of the man they'd make the Senate majority for.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies