Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 05:17:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 [87] 88 89 90 91 92 ... 226
Author Topic: Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread  (Read 264399 times)
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2150 on: January 03, 2021, 08:56:38 PM »

I’m wondering at what point all this media and stuff reaches critical mass and starts having diminishing returns. I’m past the point of being excited for this race and being annoyed. I just got called twice within ten minutes.Ofc I’m going to vote but it’s just been relentless. I don’t watch live tv outside of work and I don’t listen to the radio at all but I still can’t escape the ads. They pop up on YT and Spotify too. I’ve been texted two or three times a day for a couple of weeks now. Idk if I ever want to see any of the four of their faces or hear their names ever again. I answer the phone when I know it’s them because I don’t want to keep getting called. I politely told the last volunteer who called me to not call me again.

Congrats! You officially live in a swing state!

Another interesting thought I saw on twitter today:

A dem win in GA on tuesday will actually increase the chances the repubs take the house in 2022, because a 51-50 senate increases chances of dems passing a law that could end up being unpopular in certain purple areas.

Feels way too late into the campaign to be in the "It's actually bad if the Democrats win" phase
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2151 on: January 03, 2021, 08:57:41 PM »

Is Loeffler attending the Trump rally tomorrow?

Yes. Perdue too, if he's somehow permitted to leave quarantine by then.

Is Republican senator(s?) standing with Trump right after he committed a crime going to change any minds?

Obviously, the hardcore Trumpers won't, but maybe there are a few voters here and there still on the fence.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2152 on: January 03, 2021, 09:15:48 PM »

Is Loeffler attending the Trump rally tomorrow?

Yes. Perdue too, if he's somehow permitted to leave quarantine by then.

Is Republican senator(s?) standing with Trump right after he committed a crime going to change any minds?

Obviously, the hardcore Trumpers won't, but maybe there are a few voters here and there still on the fence.

We'll find out on Tuesday night! As Bluestein & Erickson reported earlier, GA Republicans are very worried about the potential harm that the call might mean for their chances.
Cyrusman
« Reply #2153 on: January 03, 2021, 09:36:50 PM »

How exactly did that private call between Trump and Raffensperger get released?
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2154 on: January 03, 2021, 09:42:22 PM »

I’m guessing Raffensperger leaked it.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2155 on: January 03, 2021, 09:42:43 PM »

Someone, presumably Raffensperger or his staff, recorded and released it. This is entirely legal in Georgia, a one-party consent state.
Cyrusman
« Reply #2156 on: January 03, 2021, 10:02:10 PM »

Someone, presumably Raffensperger or his staff, recorded and released it. This is entirely legal in Georgia, a one-party consent state.

Why would they do that though?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2157 on: January 03, 2021, 10:05:22 PM »

Why would they do that though?

Probably because Trump is threatening them and accusing them of covering up a crime and they are scared of getting into legal trouble.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2158 on: January 03, 2021, 10:29:46 PM »

What's the strategy behind Perdue quarantining?

I mean, if Perdue doesn't think that it's helping him, he would break the quarantine in a second.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2159 on: January 03, 2021, 10:46:58 PM »

Is someone on Atlas about to provide on-the-ground coverage of the runoffs on January 5?
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2160 on: January 03, 2021, 11:06:03 PM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2161 on: January 03, 2021, 11:22:43 PM »

Can't wait til our new Senate Majority this week and Biden confirmation as Prez, we are on the verge of a Trifecta that we should of won in Nov
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2162 on: January 03, 2021, 11:26:28 PM »

Can't wait til our new Senate Majority this week and Biden confirmation as Prez, we are on the verge of a Trifecta that we should of won in Nov

I think the old saying is: Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

This elections are so close that I think they can go either way.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2163 on: January 03, 2021, 11:29:30 PM »
« Edited: January 03, 2021, 11:33:31 PM by marty »

it would be the smallest working trifecta in american history.

for your own sanity, please temper your expectations about what you will accomplish.

barack obama had 60 (60!) dem senators in 2009 and 2010 and there was still drama and roadbumps.

you will not be passing divisive ideological big ticket items with a 5 person house majority and a 51-50 senate. you just won't.

you will get judges, infrastructure, and maybe certain tax increases.

in fact, the 5 vote majority in the house may be even more of an issue than joe manchin. Not hard at all to find 5 house dems who represent wealthy business districts who will oppose tax increases.  

a double digit number of republicans opposed the TCJA because it repealed SALT deductions.

why wouldn't at least a few house dems from wealthy districts be spooked about pissing off some constituents?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2164 on: January 03, 2021, 11:35:58 PM »

in fact, the 5 vote majority in the house may be even more of an issue than joe manchin. Not hard at all to find 5 house dems who represent wealthy business districts who will oppose tax increases.  

Dude, seriously, you're approaching MM-levels of stubbornly refusing to stop being incorrect here.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2165 on: January 03, 2021, 11:43:34 PM »

Dude, seriously, you're approaching MM-levels of stubbornly refusing to stop being incorrect here.

I will have my left testicle surgically removed and provide medical proof to this board (in form of a document, not anatomical photos)  if manchin votes to remove filibuster.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #2166 on: January 03, 2021, 11:44:52 PM »

I will have my left testicle surgically removed and provide medical proof to this board (in form of a document, not anatomical photos)  if manchin votes to remove filibuster.

lmao
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2167 on: January 03, 2021, 11:50:09 PM »

For posterity's sake:

Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #2168 on: January 04, 2021, 12:14:41 AM »

I think the old saying is: Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

This elections are so close that I think they can go either way.

Doug Collins should know that from earlier this year, as he is also a chicken farmer
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #2169 on: January 04, 2021, 12:44:20 AM »

I see this is one of *those days* on Atlas...
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #2170 on: January 04, 2021, 01:53:36 AM »

I’ve deleted the modding attempts by a non-moderator.

Don’t derail this thread to petty arguments but also be aware that in a thread like this, multiple conversations can occur.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2171 on: January 04, 2021, 02:14:13 AM »

So the question is if she was campaigning with Nazis or if she just sometimes hangs out with Nazis and takes selfies with them having a good time? Yeah, sorry bro, but both are kinda strong arguments against her in my book...

Right.  There's a reason these people keep showing up to her rallies.  I mean, really they are showing up at a lot of Republican rallies for that matter.  Plus it's not like she was like "oh heavens, a klansman at my rally!  why is this happening, maybe I should tone down the rhetoric."  No, she's more than happy to just let them keep liking whatever they like about her as long as she gets their vote.  Which also explains most of the GOP now, which relies heavily on the votes of deplorables to remain a viable national party. 
SCNCmod

« Reply #2172 on: January 04, 2021, 02:36:44 AM »

Interesting political calculation today by Perdue to criticize GA Secr of State, and defend Trump.

It may have no effect & I guess could be the correct calculation- although I think it is not the right move, at least for Perdue (maybe some word salad that actually said very little would have been smarter since he's already decided to pursue the hideout until the election strategy).
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2173 on: January 04, 2021, 02:53:12 AM »

I'm becoming more optimistic about these runoffs. The evidence says that Republicans should win at least one of these. However, it seems the campaign period post November has gone great for Democrats and badly for Republicans, the narrative seems really favorable for Ossoff and Warnock. Early voting is a good sign, we keep getting told not to read too much into it but it doesn't seem consistent with a result where Republicans do as well as or better than November (unless swing voters break Republican). However, I still have trouble seeing David Perdue losing. Despite the memes, which have gotten way out of hand and are pretty dumb now, I do think some Republican-leaning suburbanites dislike Trump more than down-ballot Republicans. Loeffler may have alienated that demographic now, and maybe Trump even dragged Perdue down by attempting to overturn the result, However, most likely there are enough of them who find Perdue sufficiently inoffensive for him to win. Loeffler seems really weak, so maybe she'll lose. It's also possible though that she is a slightly better fit for Georgia than Trump and so barely wins.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #2174 on: January 04, 2021, 03:59:33 AM »

I'm sorry, but does Loeffler's campaign outfits irritate anyone else?

They are extremely tacky and they make her clearly come off as a rich person trying to be rural or working class.

I'm sure it was unintentional, but harping on a female candidate's clothes is just a touch too close to thinly veiled sexism than we should be comfortable with.

Also, damn both of you for making me defend that demented quarterwit.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 [87] 88 89 90 91 92 ... 226  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies