Arizona megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:55:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Arizona megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 52
Author Topic: Arizona megathread  (Read 69597 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #675 on: October 18, 2022, 11:35:16 AM »

AZ-Gov: Katie Hobbs (D): $5.3 million raised (July 17-Sept. 30), $1.7 million cash-on-hand; Kari Lake (R): $3.6 million raised, $1.8 million cash-on-hand

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/10/18/2129568/-Morning-Digest-Democrats-could-win-this-major-suburban-Chicago-county-for-the-first-time-in-decades

Interesting that Lake is dealing with the same fundraising issues that Masters and other GOP'ers are.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #676 on: October 18, 2022, 06:52:40 PM »

citizenZ
citizenq
United States

« Reply #677 on: October 18, 2022, 08:36:24 PM »

Holy cow. She puts the press into a trance. This woman is something else. Not only will she probably win (and put Arizona's 11 electoral votes back to the GOP in '24) but she probably has a bright national future herself.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #678 on: October 18, 2022, 09:29:11 PM »

Holy cow. She puts the press into a trance. This woman is something else. Not only will she probably win (and put Arizona's 11 electoral votes back to the GOP in '24) but she probably has a bright national future herself.

Democrats boosted Lake in the primary - as they did many other MAGA candidates - because they were confident that they could beat her in the general. It's backfiring on them now. She certainly was underestimated.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #679 on: October 18, 2022, 09:32:52 PM »

One thing I'm curious about is at heart, is Kari Lake a true MAGA loyalists or just an opportunist?

It's important to remember that before she really got involved seriously in politics, she was actually relatively moderate if not slightly liberal. This can be shown by her previous support for Obama and also the LGBTQ community.

I'm not sure if one is more dangerous than the other but if she's an opportunist, god hope she at least has a few ounces of common sanity left in her.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #680 on: October 19, 2022, 04:52:06 AM »
« Edited: October 19, 2022, 04:55:13 AM by Incitatus for Senate »

MSNBC is dedicating an entire early morning block to Lake, apparently basically conceding that she will win and trying to stave off a Lake presidency. Exaggeration, but the host struggled to find anything nice to say about Hobbs.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #681 on: October 19, 2022, 08:19:33 AM »

Democrats boosted Lake in the primary - as they did many other MAGA candidates - because they were confident that they could beat her in the general. It's backfiring on them now. She certainly was underestimated.

How is it backfiring? lol, I guess everyone will see what they want to see, but Lake is literally handing out flyers and bringing election denial back into the forefront by making flimsy "both sides" arguments.

How is this supposed to help her with Independents?

Also think it's pretty funny how Democrats get the shaft typically in "why are they not talking about the right issues?" Why is Lake bringing out flyers talking about Hillary Clinton 3 weeks out from the election? Is that voters care about? It's clearly more a diversion than anything.
citizenZ
citizenq
United States

« Reply #682 on: October 19, 2022, 09:46:27 AM »

MSNBC is dedicating an entire early morning block to Lake, apparently basically conceding that she will win and trying to stave off a Lake presidency. Exaggeration, but the host struggled to find anything nice to say about Hobbs.

It's interesting how mainstream she makes denying an election sound. This is how the right started with things like "building a wall" or the "muslim ban". It sounds insane but the more they say it, to some, it begins to sound rational. 
US Politics Fanatic
Bill Nelson
Rookie
United States

« Reply #683 on: October 19, 2022, 10:14:00 AM »

Some people say Lake/Kelly voters will be mostly non college whites and hispanics while Hobbs/Masters voters will mostly be suburban college educated whites.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #684 on: October 19, 2022, 10:34:23 AM »

It's interesting how mainstream she makes denying an election sound. This is how the right started with things like "building a wall" or the "muslim ban". It sounds insane but the more they say it, to some, it begins to sound rational. 
This is how Evil works, yes.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #685 on: October 19, 2022, 10:37:23 AM »

How is it backfiring? lol, I guess everyone will see what they want to see, but Lake is literally handing out flyers and bringing election denial back into the forefront by making flimsy "both sides" arguments.

Also think it's pretty funny how Democrats get the shaft typically in "why are they not talking about the right issues?" Why is Lake bringing out flyers talking about Hillary Clinton 3 weeks out from the election? Is that voters care about? It's clearly more a diversion than anything.

I'm not defending what Lake was doing. What I'm saying is that Democrats boosted Lake because they believed she would be the more beatable candidate in the general election, but this strategy has backfired on them. Lake has been running a strong campaign, while many Democrats are frustrated with Hobbs and believe that her campaign has made a series of unforced errors.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #686 on: October 19, 2022, 10:53:00 AM »

I'm not defending what Lake was doing. What I'm saying is that Democrats boosted Lake because they believed she would be the more beatable candidate in the general election, but this strategy has backfired on them. Lake has been running a strong campaign, while many Democrats are frustrated with Hobbs and believe that her campaign has made a series of unforced errors.

I don't think Robson would be doing any worse than Lake is.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #687 on: October 19, 2022, 10:57:45 AM »

I don't think Robson would be doing any worse than Lake is.

I don't think so either, and that is exactly my point.
Southern Reactionary Dem
SouthernReactionaryDem
Rookie
United States

« Reply #688 on: October 19, 2022, 11:15:49 AM »

Some Dem operatives apparently learned zero lessons from 2016's pied piper strategy.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #689 on: October 19, 2022, 11:17:25 AM »

Some Dem operatives apparently learned zero lessons from 2016's pied piper strategy.

They didn't, and now it's almost certain that Lake and some of these other election denialists are going to win next month.
citizenZ
citizenq
United States

« Reply #690 on: October 19, 2022, 11:42:22 AM »

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #691 on: October 19, 2022, 01:16:36 PM »

They didn't, and now it's almost certain that Lake and some of these other election denialists are going to win next month.

I don't know how to tell you this, but Republican primary voters have agency. Democrats didn't trick them into voting for Lake. This is a right-wing talking point, but I'm not surprised that you're falling for it.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #692 on: October 19, 2022, 01:20:11 PM »

I don't know how to tell you this, but Republican primary voters have agency. Democrats didn't trick them into voting for Lake. This is a right-wing talking point, but I'm not surprised that you're falling for it.

Of course they have agency, but as has been said many times before, many Democrats were uncomfortable with these particular tactics and do not believe they should have been employed. I'm far from the only person who has made this point. And why are you "surprised"? I'm getting tired of this "#bothsideism" nonsense that you and other posters continue to bash me and those like me with.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #693 on: October 19, 2022, 04:38:59 PM »

Of course they have agency, but as has been said many times before, many Democrats were uncomfortable with these particular tactics and do not believe they should have been employed. I'm far from the only person who has made this point. And why are you "surprised"? I'm getting tired of this "#bothsideism" nonsense that you and other posters continue to bash me and those like me with.

I fail to see the both sidisms of this.

Did democrats boost Lake? Yes
Did it make an impact? Maybe?
Would she have won the primary regardless? Most Probably

The effect of democrats swinging republicans primaries is greatly over exaggerated
kwabbit

« Reply #694 on: October 19, 2022, 04:57:32 PM »

I fail to see the both sidisms of this.

Did democrats boost Lake? Yes
Did it make an impact? Maybe?
Would she have won the primary regardless? Most Probably

The effect of democrats swinging republicans primaries is greatly over exaggerated

The AZ GOP Gubernatorial primary is one of the races where it might’ve made a difference. Lake winning by 5% in a primary is not a lot. She was spending basically nothing herself on ads run in support of her could have had a large marginal effect. Either way, Democratic support of her relied on a belief that she was a much weaker candidate than she’s turned out to be.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #695 on: October 19, 2022, 06:18:06 PM »

In non-gubernatorial news:

citizenZ
citizenq
United States

« Reply #696 on: October 19, 2022, 08:40:03 PM »

Why does Hobbs keep running away from reporters? Like literally running into elevators, spilling her drinks, etc?

You're less than 3 weeks away, wouldn't you wanna be out there? Unreal.
SCNCmod

« Reply #697 on: October 20, 2022, 05:52:52 AM »

I still don't think it is (yet) a foregone conclusion that Hobbs will not get elected...

But at least its not a Senate race.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #698 on: October 20, 2022, 07:09:02 PM »

Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35