Arizona megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:14:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Arizona megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 52
Author Topic: Arizona megathread  (Read 69777 times)
goin bezerk
Rookie
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2022, 05:45:15 PM »

Guess who Pence just endorsed?
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2022, 07:37:56 PM »

Even better: both Trump and Pence will be in the state on the same day (Friday) to rally with their respective endorsees! 

The Trump rally is the one that was originally supposed to be last week, but was postponed due to Ivana Trump's death.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2022, 07:42:57 PM »

Fun fact: Since 1990, with the exception of 2018, Arizona elected a governor to the opposite party of the incumbent president.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2022, 10:20:42 PM »

Maybe Democrats should run ads saying something along the lines of "Kari Lake stands with Trump. She will not let democrats steal any more elections. She will not bend to the woke mob. Having Katie Hobbs as governor would be like having a third term of Doug Ducey."

They can make the ads seem as if they are coming from the Lake campaign or a GOP group, but tie Hobbs to Ducey (as if it were a bad thing).

It might be a way to help attract independents and moderate non-Trumpy republicans to vote for Hobbs.
The “third term of Ducey” attack would work way better for Robson than Lake.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2022, 11:06:23 PM »

Maybe Democrats should run ads saying something along the lines of "Kari Lake stands with Trump. She will not let democrats steal any more elections. She will not bend to the woke mob. Having Katie Hobbs as governor would be like having a third term of Doug Ducey."

They can make the ads seem as if they are coming from the Lake campaign or a GOP group, but tie Hobbs to Ducey (as if it were a bad thing).

It might be a way to help attract independents and moderate non-Trumpy republicans to vote for Hobbs.
The “third term of Ducey” attack would work way better for Robson than Lake.

Robson would be easy to attack generally cause she just has a very weak political compass. You can’t run on a campaign of being the “normal” and “sane” conservative while still feeding into all the bs. She’s always extremely careful with her words and it comes off as disingenuous.

Lake is just east to attack because she’s such a nutjob
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2022, 11:12:19 AM »

Given that AZ's situation is similar to PA's, in that the GOP primaries on both sides are contentious and the Dem only has 1 real race, and even that one is pretty much locked up, I'm surprised to see Dem turnout so high, and beating GOP's in turnout % and raw #s.

Isn't AZ usually largely mail-in/early vote state vs. election day?

Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2022, 03:57:36 PM »

Given that AZ's situation is similar to PA's, in that the GOP primaries on both sides are contentious and the Dem only has 1 real race, and even that one is pretty much locked up, I'm surprised to see Dem turnout so high, and beating GOP's in turnout % and raw #s.

Yeah that seems strange.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2022, 04:31:41 PM »
« Edited: July 24, 2022, 04:36:15 PM by xavier110 »

It is a little odd.

However, there is more than one contest on the D side.

The sec of state race is contentious between Bolding and Fontes — there are SJW types coming to the aid of Bolding — though Fontes should ultimately demolish him.

There are also some competitive state legislative primaries in heavy D districts where winning here is effectively winning the general.

So Ds can make quick work of their ballot and turn it in: gov, sec of state, leg or congressional races.

Two factors could be driving the GOP turnout situation:

1) GOP base voters are now primed to only vote in person on Election Day. It’s a weird development since they had been steadfast mail voters for two decades and the R legislature made vote by mail to cater to their conservative geriatric base…

2) The GOP ballot is complex with a lot of competitive races, and voters are waiting a while to decide some choices.

It’s probably a mixture of those two reasons. I don’t know how someone could be undecided on Lake vs. Robson, but all polls have shown that voters know nothing about sec of state, attorney general, school superintendent, treasurer, and all the other downballot races.

Regardless, I sent my R ballot in for Robson, Brno (I probably should have gone McGuire at this point), Norton against Schweikert, and whoever else I thought was moderate or could beat the Trump-endorsed candidate.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2022, 06:30:47 PM »

Fun fact: Since 1990, with the exception of 2018, Arizona elected a governor to the opposite party of the incumbent president.

And 2018 wasn’t even that close
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2022, 02:56:56 AM »

I mean this is the first post-Dobbs primary in a competitive state (Marylanders probably weren't concerned with losing abortion rights).
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #85 on: July 25, 2022, 08:17:17 AM »

For all the talk of Robson being the more 'moderate' candidate, should be noted that she's essentially a 2020 election denier too

xavier110
United States
« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2022, 10:27:25 AM »

For all the talk of Robson being the more 'moderate' candidate, should be noted that she's essentially a 2020 election denier too

I have confidence that she would certify a D 24 win and basically be Ducey 3.0. But she’s tried to have it every which way. At the debate she was the only one not to raise their hand about the election being rigged. Her craven triangulating hurts as much as it helps her though so I don’t get it.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2022, 11:32:21 AM »
« Edited: July 25, 2022, 12:09:47 PM by Devout Centrist »

Republicans should close this gap by Election Day. It’s likely they’ll have more % turnout than Democrats once late mail-ins and Election Day votes are factored in. Does this tell us anything about what’ll happen in November? No.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #88 on: July 26, 2022, 03:59:23 PM »

GOP gained, but Dems still have turnout advantage - 22% vs 18%. I'm shocked Dems still have raw vote lead as well.

AncestralDemocrat.
United States

« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2022, 09:59:17 AM »

SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2022, 10:03:16 AM »

That's not good. Hobbs has to win.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #91 on: July 29, 2022, 10:07:02 AM »

Not sure where the proof is RE: "Dems floundering in AZGOV". Hobbs is rightfully letting the GOP primary take up all the news cycles.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #92 on: July 29, 2022, 01:14:39 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2022, 01:29:37 PM by xavier110 »

Not sure where the proof is RE: "Dems floundering in AZGOV". Hobbs is rightfully letting the GOP primary take up all the news cycles.

That’s a generous interpretation of what’s going on. Hobbs sucks. The more Ds can wrap their brains around that fact, the easier Nov will be. I did my part by voting Robson, but it looks like we are on track for a solid Lake win and then her coasting to the governorship alongside Finchem and Hamadeh, lmao.

I may seriously leave this state. 2024 is going to be absolute chaos, and we may have state officials encouraging political violence.

The Ds who will perform the best are the incumbents - Kelly for Sen and Hoffman for superintendent of public instruction. They’re probably the only statewide races Ds will have a chance to win.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #93 on: July 29, 2022, 02:17:18 PM »

One thing I don't understand is why do folks assume Mastriano being such a bad candidate will make PA-GOV Lean D while Lake who is similar in many regards would still easily coast to re-election?

Anyways ye Hobbs optics haven't been great, especially after refusing to debate. Once this primary is over she really needs to step up her game.

There's a good chance Rs would lose the legislature in 2024 if Lake goes too crazy as governor.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2022, 02:25:55 PM »

Robson just seems very off to me. I don't trust her to be a conservative in even the same way Doug Ducey was. It feels like at heart she is anti-Trump, and is going to be a lot like the governor to our north if elected. Unlike Blake Masters, I'm not a fan of Kari Lake but she is the best option there is.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2022, 02:40:41 PM »

One thing I don't understand is why do folks assume Mastriano being such a bad candidate will make PA-GOV Lean D while Lake who is similar in many regards would still easily coast to re-election?

Anyways ye Hobbs optics haven't been great, especially after refusing to debate. Once this primary is over she really needs to step up her game.

There's a good chance Rs would lose the legislature in 2024 if Lake goes too crazy as governor.

Lake (bad as she is) is a better candidate than Mastriano, while Shapiro is better than Hobbs.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #96 on: July 29, 2022, 02:42:03 PM »

Lake (bad as she is) is a better candidate than Mastriano, while Shapiro is better than Hobbs.

Shapiro is def better than Hobbs but what makes Lake better than Mastriano?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2022, 02:59:41 PM »

That’s a generous interpretation of what’s going on. Hobbs sucks. The more Ds can wrap their brains around that fact, the easier Nov will be. I did my part by voting Robson, but it looks like we are on track for a solid Lake win and then her coasting to the governorship alongside Finchem and Hamadeh, lmao.

I may seriously leave this state. 2024 is going to be absolute chaos, and we may have state officials encouraging political violence.

The Ds who will perform the best are the incumbents - Kelly for Sen and Hoffman for superintendent of public instruction. They’re probably the only statewide races Ds will have a chance to win.

Even if Hobbs ends up being a generic/sub-par candidate, how is Lake cruising in a state that is vehemently opposite of all of her nonsense?

There doesn't seem to be a rational here for a Lake win. Meanwhile, I don't see really anything but neutralness from Hobbs at this point, where other then not debating her primary opponent (which happens all the time), there really hasn't been much to either approve or disapprove of her campaign so far?
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2022, 03:18:56 PM »

Shapiro is def better than Hobbs but what makes Lake better than Mastriano?

Perhaps I should have phrased it as Mastriano is worse than Lake.  They're both bad, but Mastriano has more strikes against him (association with anti-Semitists, J6 attendance, etc.) than Lake, who seems to be a more run-of-the-mill MAGA crazy.

Having said that, I definitely do not expect Lake to cruise to victory.  I think the race would be a tossup or tilt D with Lake, while Robson would be a slight favorite.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2022, 04:49:46 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2022, 05:05:06 PM by Devout Centrist »

I'd say Hobbs is a mediocre candidate - better than Garcia, but she also comes with her own baggage. Her response to the Talonya Adams scandal was inelegant and it may foreshadow trouble dealing with negative press on the campaign trail. That being said, few people expected her to win back in 2018. If she can make this campaign about abortion + Lake's excesses and tie herself to someone like Mark Kelly, she has a decent shot of winning.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 52  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies