Chile Constitutional Referendum, September 4th 2022
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 09:33:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Chile Constitutional Referendum, September 4th 2022
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 62
Poll
Question: Who would you vote for in the secound round?
Gabriel Boric (Apuebo Dignidad, Left)

Jose Antonio Kast (REP, far-right)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 78

Author Topic: Chile Constitutional Referendum, September 4th 2022  (Read 84552 times)
kaoras
Chile

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #975 on: December 19, 2021, 01:01:58 PM »

Why was there such a big expansion of the voter rolls from 2013 onwards?

All the people who weren't in the electoral rolls got enrolled, and now the inscription is automatic. This also brought voluntary voting, which is why turnout has collapsed.
The lack of public transportation is just criminal. Just watch any report on the news. And they are worse precisely in the areas more proclive to Boric.

So the administration is basically all in for Kast?

Yes, is beyond disgusting. I just cannot express how angry I'm right now.

The biggest myth of Chilean politics is that there exist a democratic right, they are all the same.

Is this affecting turnout in a big way? I mean, polls close in 3 and half hours, right?

In Chile you don't vote in your nearest precinct, they send you randomly to some place within your comuna (I literally have to cross all my city to vote despite having a precinct at 5 minutes walking distance), that's why it could depress turnout. Besides the high temperatures in Santiago make walking long distances hard.

Opposition mayors in Santiago are mobilizing municipal buses right now, but Puente Alto has a rightist mayor and hasn't done anything. Puente Alto is the comuna with more voters of the country.
Sweet kiss of liquid modernity
Heat
Poland

« Reply #976 on: December 19, 2021, 01:10:21 PM »

All the people who weren't in the electoral rolls got enrolled, and now the inscription is automatic. This also brought voluntary voting, which is why turnout has collapsed.
Thank you, I figured it'd be something like that. Was there a partisan aspect behind getting rid of compulsory voting?
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #977 on: December 19, 2021, 01:10:34 PM »

Reposting this list of live streams so it's at the top of the page
Live feeds of the coverage:

Meganoticias

T13

24 horas

kaoras
Chile

« Reply #978 on: December 19, 2021, 01:12:25 PM »

Thank you, I figured it'd be something like that. Was there a partisan aspect behind getting rid of compulsory voting?

No, at the time the electoral rolls kept shrinking since young people didn't bother registering, so they figured that it would increase turnout (lol).
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #979 on: December 19, 2021, 01:18:26 PM »
« Edited: December 19, 2021, 01:21:36 PM by Mike88 »

In Chile you don't vote in your nearest precinct, they send you randomly to some place within your comuna (I literally have to cross all my city to vote despite having a precinct at 5 minutes walking distance), that's why it could depress turnout. Besides the high temperatures in Santiago make walking long distances hard.

Opposition mayors in Santiago are mobilizing municipal buses right now, but Puente Alto has a rightist mayor and hasn't done anything. Puente Alto is the comuna with more voters of the country.

Right, that's a bit weird, because it could cause confusion. Local governments should provide transportation to those voters who don't have means to reach a polling station, elderly and disable people especially. Here it's what happens, however there's always the accusation that the people driving those buses, or helping in it, say to these voters "look vote in the hand symbol or in the one with the arrows", but, whatever. Wink
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #980 on: December 19, 2021, 01:28:03 PM »

All the networks are covering how it's 40° at some polling places. Why do some countries have elections in the middle of summer/winter!
jeron
Netherlands
Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -7.48

« Reply #981 on: December 19, 2021, 01:32:09 PM »

Results from my country (Netherlands) in: Boric 490 - Kast 124, so about 80% for Boric. Similar percen tage in Germany. Belgium and France close to 90% for Boric.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #982 on: December 19, 2021, 01:34:11 PM »

All the networks are covering how it's 40° at some polling places. Why do some countries have elections in the middle of summer/winter!

No one can predict how the weather will be on election day when calling an election. According to Ventusky, last weekend, for example, temperatures were quite mild, around 20º C across Chile.
kaoras
Chile

« Reply #983 on: December 19, 2021, 01:39:18 PM »

Results from my country (Netherlands) in: Boric 490 - Kast 124, so about 80% for Boric. Similar percen tage in Germany. Belgium and France close to 90% for Boric.

Boric higher than the sum of Boric +Provoste+MEO+Artés, Kast lower than Kast+Sichel. Seems to be happening in every big country.
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #984 on: December 19, 2021, 01:41:41 PM »

No one can predict how the weather will be on election day when calling an election. According to Ventusky, last weekend, for example, temperatures were quite mild, around 20º C across Chile.

Something in May or September would probably just be safer to bet on. Just complaining into the void over here though of course
jeron
Netherlands
Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -7.48

« Reply #985 on: December 19, 2021, 01:43:30 PM »

Boric higher than the sum of Boric +Provoste+MEO+Artés, Kast lower than Kast+Sichel. Seems to be happening in every big country.

Good. Lets hope the trend holds in Chile itself
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #986 on: December 19, 2021, 01:52:50 PM »

Something in May or September would probably just be safer to bet on. Just complaining into the void over here though of course

Yeah, I understand, no worries. But weather, and especially nowadays, is very unpredictable. I have seen election days in the winter with very mild and plesent temperatures, and elections in June/late September with massive rain pours and chilly temperatures.
kaoras
Chile

« Reply #987 on: December 19, 2021, 02:10:12 PM »

In this page they are uploading the consolidated overseas vote:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vT0Z9MXi7G5YFcb-Q_Q8b3afMIQAZm82dQv23rqMiKcsVu3Bw0CTv-oh1MlFQAe3e9cnQULSBDfkjoX/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true

The numbers are not necessarily final, for example in Sweden I'm sure there is just one polling place reported
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #988 on: December 19, 2021, 02:10:12 PM »

In Chile you don't vote in your nearest precinct, they send you randomly to some place within your comuna (I literally have to cross all my city to vote despite having a precinct at 5 minutes walking distance), that's why it could depress turnout.

What the f**k. That's one of the stupidest ways to hold elections I could think of. Is it really that hard to have one polling place for every neighborhood??
kaoras
Chile

« Reply #989 on: December 19, 2021, 02:13:51 PM »

In Chile you don't vote in your nearest precinct, they send you randomly to some place within your comuna (I literally have to cross all my city to vote despite having a precinct at 5 minutes walking distance), that's why it could depress turnout.

What the f**k. That's one of the stupidest ways to hold elections I could think of. Is it really that hard to have one polling place for every neighborhood??

For Servel? Yes, the only thing they do somewhat competently is counting fast. There was a law approved to assign you to your nearest precinct (before that, SERVEL said it was "impossible to do") but couldn't be applied in time for the elections.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #990 on: December 19, 2021, 02:16:20 PM »

For Servel? Yes, the only thing they do somewhat competently is counting fast. There was a law approved to assign you to your nearest precinct (before that, SERVEL said it was "impossible to do") but couldn't be applied in time for the elections.

...something that almost every country on Earth does and in some cases has been doing for multiple centuries is "impossible to do"? lmao, okay

Sounds like these people and the NYC BoE would get along
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #991 on: December 19, 2021, 02:21:15 PM »

That does sound pretty awful, I never in my life had to walk more than 5 blocks to go and vote
kaoras
Chile

« Reply #992 on: December 19, 2021, 02:33:44 PM »

That does sound pretty awful, I never in my life had to walk more than 5 blocks to go and vote

Is even worse the more you look at it. For example, even if you are assigned to your nearest precinct, in many cities those are not well distributed within a city. Take a look at Concepción for example.

The whole system needs an overhaul.

You can see the map of precincts here: https://elecciones.visorterritorial.cl/. In rural areas the situaton is laughable
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #993 on: December 19, 2021, 02:36:03 PM »

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vT0Z9MXi7G5YFcb-Q_Q8b3afMIQAZm82dQv23rqMiKcsVu3Bw0CTv-oh1MlFQAe3e9cnQULSBDfkjoX/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true

The numbers are not necessarily final, for example in Sweden I'm sure there is just one polling place reported

Looks pretty strong. How do the numbers from this round for the the largest countries (Spain, Germany, etc.) compare with the first round?
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #994 on: December 19, 2021, 02:37:50 PM »

Because this countries want that the innauguration take place at the beggining of the year, so that all presidents have full years of administration
kaoras
Chile

« Reply #995 on: December 19, 2021, 02:39:49 PM »

Looks pretty strong. How do the numbers from this round for the the largest countries (Spain, Germany, etc.) compare with the first round?

Every single large country I have checked Boric is higher than the combined left in the 1st round and Kast doesn't reach Kast+Sichel.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #996 on: December 19, 2021, 02:47:40 PM »

You can see the map of precincts here: https://elecciones.visorterritorial.cl/. In rural areas the situaton is laughable

Looking at that, the preliminary conclusion I can make is that while we have basically the same amount of "mesas" adjusted for population, you have less "locales de votación" (schools and the likes). Then again, I could be talking out of my ass since I never really analyzed this in depth Tongue

From what you said we at least have better organization of the electoral rolls, having to travel to another part of the city to vote is almost unheard of around here.
Ichabod
Kierkegaard
Rookie
Chile

« Reply #997 on: December 19, 2021, 02:48:02 PM »

Not exactly a good reason; next term starts at March 11th, almost three more months.

Because this countries want that the innauguration take place at the beggining of the year, so that all presidents have full years of administration
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #998 on: December 19, 2021, 02:53:18 PM »

Every single large country I have checked Boric is higher than the combined left in the 1st round and Kast doesn't reach Kast+Sichel.

Which is good, but Peru shows that voter movements among the expat community can not carry over to the mainland's trends.  Looking at the spreadsheet, it seems that a lot of the Boric growth comes down to higher voter turnout than in round one, which could be good/bad depending on mainland voter behavior.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #999 on: December 19, 2021, 02:54:27 PM »

Looking at that, the preliminary conclusion I can make is that while we have basically the same amount of "mesas" adjusted for population, you have less "locales de votación" (schools and the likes). Then again, I could be talking out of my ass since I never really analyzed this in depth Tongue

From what you said we at least have better organization of the electoral rolls, having to travel to another part of the city to vote is almost unheard of around here.

To expand on this, I just looked it up and we had a bit more than 100.000 "mesas" while Chile has around 46.000, which roughly corresponds to Argentina having a bit more than double the population of Chile.

But apparently, while Chile has about 2.800 polling places, we had almost 17.000 in our last election.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 62  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies