2020 Presidential Election Results & Exit Polls commentary thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 12:16:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  2020 Presidential Election Results & Exit Polls commentary thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 764 765 766 767 768 [769] 770 771 772 773 774 ... 818
Author Topic: 2020 Presidential Election Results & Exit Polls commentary thread  (Read 638921 times)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19200 on: November 22, 2020, 12:32:58 PM »

The Democratic transition into becoming the party of the wealthy is truly astonishing and depressing.
Stop it. The Democratic Party isn't the "party of the wealthy" because of this election.

I find it interesting that as soon as I say something that goes against the narrative here, people jump down my throat again. Why should I be surprised at this?

Because your proposition was an overgeneralization.

I don't think so. While I'm well aware that Trump still carried a considerable number of upper-class suburban counties-such as Hamilton, Douglas, and Williamson Counties-and while I'm aware that much of the wealthy still skews Republican, the trend among this demographic towards Democrats is undeniable. I've seen map after map, analysis after analysis, demonstrating how Democrats have made inroads into precincts that once gave solid or overwhelming margins to W. Bush, McCain, and Romney, and which can be said to exemplify this demographic-such as the municipalities in Michigan alluded to above. And as I've stated previously, I believe that these current trends are at odds with the Party's historical mission and founding ideology.
Just because some suburbs have shifted doesn't mean that the Democratic Party is the "party of the wealthy". That's not the case at all.

Most people making less than $50,000 voted for Biden. Most non-White voters voted for Biden and we know that many non-White voters are working class. Also, the policies of the Democratic Party has not changed substantially in any way. We all know that the biggest reason for the shift in some suburbs to Democrats is due to higher educational attainment and certianly NOT higher income. Also, Trump's behavior and the sycophantic Republicans behind him is a major cause of this shift.

Finally, you like to respond to being called out by thinking that it's an "attack" on you. It's not, it's CORRECTING you.

It was your tone that I responded adversely to, more then anything else. Of course, I don't want to go back into the trenches that I was thrown into before I took my hiatus, and I'm not going to push this further. It's this kind of mentality that helps to explain why Atlas has been accused of being an echo chamber-and not without justification.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19201 on: November 22, 2020, 12:33:01 PM »

The Democratic transition into becoming the party of the wealthy is truly astonishing and depressing.
Stop it. The Democratic Party isn't the "party of the wealthy" because of this election.

I find it interesting that as soon as I say something that goes against the narrative here, people jump down my throat again. Why should I be surprised at this?

I don't think so. While I'm well aware that Trump still carried a considerable number of upper-class suburban counties-such as Hamilton, Douglas, and Williamson Counties-and while I'm aware that much of the wealthy still skews Republican, the trend among this demographic towards Democrats is undeniable. I've seen map after map, analysis after analysis, demonstrating how Democrats have made inroads into precincts that once gave solid or overwhelming margins to W. Bush, McCain, and Romney, and which can be said to exemplify this demographic-such as the municipalities in Michigan alluded to above. And as I've stated previously, I believe that these current trends are at odds with the Party's historical mission and founding ideology.
This line of thinking is deeple flawed. The well educated have trended heavily D since the GOP chose to go down the route of stupidity. A lot of well educated people are also fairly well of financially. But it is not the financial elite that is turning D but the educated elite. If you take any one group of education, higher income is correlated with being more right wing.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19202 on: November 22, 2020, 12:40:37 PM »

Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #19203 on: November 22, 2020, 12:42:58 PM »

you guys have to really chill on this stupidity
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19204 on: November 22, 2020, 12:45:22 PM »

Like a dozen new election fraud tweets & retweets this morning but I'll just post this one.

I'd hope that after over four years Republicans could at least manage to start spelling 'whining' correctly.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #19205 on: November 22, 2020, 12:47:16 PM »

This line of thinking is deeple flawed. The well educated have trended heavily D since the GOP chose to go down the route of stupidity. A lot of well educated people are also fairly well of financially. But it is not the financial elite that is turning D but the educated elite. If you take any one group of education, higher income is correlated with being more right wing.

Well, considering that much of the "financial elite" is comprised of Wall Street moguls, many of whom are among the Democratic Party's most prominent and ardent donors, this doesn't seem to be as much of a distinction as you make it to be. That also leaves aside the fact that some of the wealthiest men in this country-Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, Jeff Bezos, Mike Bloomberg, the founders of Google, etc-are all aligned politically with the Democratic Party in some way. But I digress.
forza nocta

« Reply #19206 on: November 22, 2020, 12:47:20 PM »

So it seems like 4/5 NYC boroughs are done with absentee counting. The only one still counting is Brooklyn, and I think we’ll get a big NYC dump once BK finished, which should be soon.

https://vote.nyc/page/unofficial-absentee-totals
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #19207 on: November 22, 2020, 12:55:30 PM »

Well, considering that much of the "financial elite" is comprised of Wall Street moguls, many of whom are among the Democratic Party's most prominent and ardent donors, this doesn't seem to be as much of a distinction as you make it to be. That also leaves aside the fact that some of the wealthiest men in this country-Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, Jeff Bezos, Mike Bloomberg, the founders of Google, etc-are all aligned politically with the Democratic Party in some way. But I digress.
Um, just like any other group of people, wealthy people aren't a monolith. Of course, there has always been wealthy people who have voted for the Democratic Party.

There are wealthy people who are Democrats but the Democratic Party isn't the "party of the wealthy". Also, I've already explained to you the shift of some wealthy people to the Democrats. It's NOT due to higher income.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #19208 on: November 22, 2020, 12:56:42 PM »

We are always on the news for the wrong reasons.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #19209 on: November 22, 2020, 01:00:36 PM »

Um, just like any other group of people, wealthy people aren't a monolith. Of course, there has always been wealthy people who have voted for the Democratic Party.

There are wealthy people who are Democrats but the Democratic Party isn't the "party of the wealthy". Also, I've already explained to you the shift of some wealthy people to the Democrats. It's NOT due to higher income.

I'm well aware that wealthy people aren't a monolith, and I'm aware of the widening divide between college-educated and non-college educated voters. The point that I'm trying to make is that the Democratic Party, experiencing the declines that it has with unionized voters, blue-collar voters, and working-class voters-not just WWC voters, but also minority working-class voters, as the swings in the Rio Grande Valley, and Trump's improvement among black men demonstrated-is taking on more of a urbane, middle to upper class cast then what it has possessed previously.

And much of what we've heard about the Party's social messaging and social policies-on the contentious issues such as abortion, identity politics, and the like-are clearly emanating from these upper-class voters. Such ideas could only spur more socially conservative working-class voters to move into the Republican Party as time progresses. And I don't think that is a good thing. Voters have demonstrated through referendums and such that they do tend to be more economically progressive, but they can't identify with a Party which they feel clashes with their basic values.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19210 on: November 22, 2020, 01:03:29 PM »

Chairman of the Republican Party of Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin:

Kalimantan
Indonesia

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -1.74

« Reply #19211 on: November 22, 2020, 01:05:31 PM »

I do rather wish that the courts would humour Trump and his lawyers and allow them to present their 'evidence', so that they can't just say that the courts stopped them presenting it. Throwing the cases out is the obvious decision, but it doesn't really help the country move forward.

Likewise if they protest every vote in Wisconsin, say fine and hold a press conference for each disputed vote so they have to publically defend their position.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19212 on: November 22, 2020, 01:05:49 PM »

Republicans everywhere, at all levels, are getting tired of Trump's BS.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #19213 on: November 22, 2020, 01:29:31 PM »

Republicans everywhere, at all levels, are getting tired of Trump's BS.

Polls suggest otherwise, as does the voter turnout we just saw, as does what we’ve heard from many Republican senators, as do the comments on any Facebook/Twitter feed about this. Sorry but you seem to be very much in the minority of your party now.

What does give me hope is that those of you who DO see how insane all this BS is are now starting to realize that, frankly, we’ve been right all along. It has NEVER been about “voter fraud.” It has ALWAYS been an excuse to suppress the vote, primarily of minorities. This is just dropping all pretense and saying the quiet part out loud.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19214 on: November 22, 2020, 01:32:24 PM »

Certified from N-W
1.North Dakota
2.Oklahoma
3.South Carolina (though that isn't 100% clear on the website)
4.Vermont
5.Virginia
6.Wyoming
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19215 on: November 22, 2020, 01:45:05 PM »

I read this tweet to my mom with a straight face and half a second after I was done, we both started cracking up.

I... I just can’t fathom what is going on in these people’s heads. They’re going to rip the Republican Party apart.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19216 on: November 22, 2020, 01:47:32 PM »

There is a pretty strong correlation this election of counties gaining population swinging towards Biden and those losing population swinging towards Trump.  Now historically, counties that are struggling tend to swing against the incumbent party while those doing well swing towards it.  It shows just how dominant education and cultural issues are right now that the pattern has been disrupted.  Wealthy tend to live in culturally diverse and vibrant areas and appreciate that especially compared to the fascist Republicanism
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #19217 on: November 22, 2020, 01:51:10 PM »

There is a pretty strong correlation this election of counties gaining population swinging towards Biden and those losing population swinging towards Trump.  Now historically, counties that are struggling tend to swing against the incumbent party while those doing well swing towards it.  It shows just how dominant education and cultural issues are right now that the pattern has been disrupted. Wealthy tend to live in culturally diverse and vibrant areas and appreciate that especially compared to the fascist Republicanism.

This actually alludes to something which was brought to my attention recently. This article highlights how bankers-both executives and employees-overwhelmingly favored Biden, with their financial contributions and endorsements, over Trump. Republican policies have been much more favorable to the banks, and they benefited in particular from the 2017 Trump tax cuts. However, banks feel themselves to be more in alignment with Democratic "values", on issues such as climate change, income inequality, immigration, and foreign investment, among other things, and are hence more supportive of Democrats. In a way, banks are acting against their own interests, as expressed in the form of the bottom line.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #19218 on: November 22, 2020, 01:57:20 PM »

Biden won voters making <$50k by 11 points and voters making $50k-$99k by 15 points... and Trump won voters making $100k+ by 12 points.

But sure. Democrats are becoming the party of the wealthy and elite. eyeroll

Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19219 on: November 22, 2020, 01:57:49 PM »

Yes

Actually, they probably are.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19220 on: November 22, 2020, 01:58:51 PM »

Biden won voters making <$50k by 11 points and voters making $50k-$99k by 15 points... and Trump won voters making $100k+ by 12 points.

You quoted the wrong poster.  Tongue
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #19221 on: November 22, 2020, 01:59:31 PM »

The key word is becoming, not that they actually are. All political realignments take time, and 2020 is a continuation of the trends we've seen in every election, midterm or otherwise, since the beginning of this century-particularly those of 2016 and 2018. And in the article that I posted, it is mentioned that bank employees preferred Mitt Romney (Mr. "47%"), with their donations over Obama and Biden in 2012, but switched to Clinton in 2016 and Biden this year. That's another sign of the changing times.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19222 on: November 22, 2020, 02:04:30 PM »

[float=left][/float]

There is a pretty strong correlation this election of counties gaining population swinging towards Biden and those losing population swinging towards Trump.  Now historically, counties that are struggling tend to swing against the incumbent party while those doing well swing towards it.  It shows just how dominant education and cultural issues are right now that the pattern has been disrupted. Wealthy tend to live in culturally diverse and vibrant areas and appreciate that especially compared to the fascist Republicanism.

This actually alludes to something which was brought to my attention recently. This article highlights how bankers-both executives and employees-overwhelmingly favored Biden, with their financial contributions and endorsements, over Trump. Republican policies have been much more favorable to the banks, and they benefited in particular from the 2017 Trump tax cuts. However, banks feel themselves to be more in alignment with Democratic "values", on issues such as climate change, income inequality, immigration, and foreign investment, among other things, and are hence more supportive of Democrats. In a way, banks are acting against their own interests, as expressed in the form of the bottom line.

Unfortunately there is a segment of these voters still willing to vote R down ballot even though those Rs  have shown a totally lack of spine and constant appeasement and pandering towards the Trump fascists.  I mean you see it here.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #19223 on: November 22, 2020, 02:06:28 PM »

[float=left][/float]

Unfortunately there is a segment of these voters still willing to vote R down ballot even though those Rs  have shown a totally lack of spine and constant appeasement and pandering towards the Trump fascists.  I mean you see it here.

They may be still willing to vote downballot precisely because they recognize that certain Republican policies benefits them financially. And as I've noted, they are not in complete alignment with the Democratic Party's platform.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #19224 on: November 22, 2020, 02:06:49 PM »

So it seems like 4/5 NYC boroughs are done with absentee counting. The only one still counting is Brooklyn, and I think we’ll get a big NYC dump once BK finished, which should be soon.

https://vote.nyc/page/unofficial-absentee-totals

NYC isn't very regular, sounds like.
Pages: 1 ... 764 765 766 767 768 [769] 770 771 772 773 774 ... 818  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies