2020 Presidential Election Results & Exit Polls commentary thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 03:41:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  2020 Presidential Election Results & Exit Polls commentary thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 392 393 394 [395] 396 397 398 399 400 ... 818
Author Topic: 2020 Presidential Election Results & Exit Polls commentary thread  (Read 631480 times)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9850 on: November 05, 2020, 11:02:50 AM »

So people were saying we would get more Georgia results at 11, is that true?

Here you go, charcuterie:

Prepare for an epic let down

I've strapped myself in, but still holding the doom levels at DOOM-CON 5.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #9851 on: November 05, 2020, 11:04:26 AM »

Context on why Allegheny wont count their ballots until Friday.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9852 on: November 05, 2020, 11:05:49 AM »

Context on why Allegheny wont count their ballots until Friday.

Hope Biden takes the lead before with Philly votes, so that we can be relived.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9853 on: November 05, 2020, 11:05:55 AM »

This is from the 538 blog, with the estimated remaining votes as of earlier this morning (note: this is still a moving target!)

County     Votes      Lean in 2016 relative to state
Chatham  17,157   D+22
Fulton      11,200   D+51
Clayton      7,408   D+75
Gwinnett    7,338   D+23
Forsyth      4,713   R+29
Harris        3,641   R+49
Bryan        3,027   R+38
Laurens     1,797   R+24
Putnam     1,552   R+37
Sumter     1,202   D+51
Cobb           700   D+7
Floyd           682   R+38
Burke          494   D+8
Taylor          456   R+18

Weighted average: D+19.  But don't forget that absentee ballots are running much more D than the above partisan leans (e.g. last I heard, Biden was actually winning Forsyth absentees).
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #9854 on: November 05, 2020, 11:07:02 AM »

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1324335432126136320?s=19

This is why getting the run-off with Ossoff and Warnock is important. Mitch is going to Mitch. And hopefully a Hail Mary happens and Cunningham squeaks out a stunner.

Not happening. Ossoff couldnt win the main election and trailed Biden badly. If Dems have the White House in January, Republicans will turn out in droves to keep the senate. Turnout for runoffs, even in 2008 when a filibuster proof majority was at stake, has favored Rs

The factors to consider here would be that 2008 Georgia isn't 2020 Georgia (i.e. if John Barrow can get 48% in a 2018 runoff, then Ossoff as a fighting chance in a 2020 runoff, especially thanks to Warnock's presumed coattails) & that R turnout could itself be depressed while D turnout continues to be motivated if Trump has already lost (& obviously isn't himself on the ballot again) while control of the Senate remains at stake.

Republicans have more to lose in a runoff compared to Dems. 2020 will be closer than the blowout in 2008, but the point remains. If Ossoff cant win in the general, I don't think that bodes well for him. No clue how good Warnock will do, but if Biden couldnt boost Ossoff, why would Warnock.

They'd be able complement one another with regards to turnout: Ossoff for the suburbs, & Warnock for Black turnout.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #9855 on: November 05, 2020, 11:07:38 AM »

What he’s saying is that he’ll be trying to block all Biden cabinet appointments as long as they are Democrats, does anyone believe that he’ll do anything else?
Then why did Axios feel the need to add in his comments about how he’ll be fine with ‘centrists’ when you know damn well he’s making that statement in bad faith?

Side note, Biden should absolutely take Trump’s acting secretary playbook when Mitch McConnell demands he appoint

And a quick shout out to the people in Maine who voted Biden/Collins so they could get the good feeling of being such independent minded free thinkers. Great call guys.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9856 on: November 05, 2020, 11:08:28 AM »

This is why getting the run-off with Ossoff and Warnock is important. Mitch is going to Mitch. And hopefully a Hail Mary happens and Cunningham squeaks out a stunner.

Not happening. Ossoff couldnt win the main election and trailed Biden badly. If Dems have the White House in January, Republicans will turn out in droves to keep the senate. Turnout for runoffs, even in 2008 when a filibuster proof majority was at stake, has favored Rs

The factors to consider here would be that 2008 Georgia isn't 2020 Georgia (i.e. if John Barrow can get 48% in a 2018 runoff, then Ossoff as a fighting chance in a 2020 runoff, especially thanks to Warnock's presumed coattails) & that R turnout could itself be depressed while D turnout continues to be motivated if Trump has already lost (& obviously isn't himself on the ballot again) while control of the Senate remains at stake.

Republicans have more to lose in a runoff compared to Dems. 2020 will be closer than the blowout in 2008, but the point remains. If Ossoff cant win in the general, I don't think that bodes well for him. No clue how good Warnock will do, but if Biden couldnt boost Ossoff, why would Warnock.

They'd be able complement one another with regards to turnout: Ossoff for the suburbs, & Warnock for Black turnout.

There was pretty clear ticket splitting of Biden/Purdue likely from the suburbs this time. If those people show up in January that wont change. But I guess we'll see soon either way. Republicans only need 1 to hold, dems need both.
tjstarling
Rookie

« Reply #9857 on: November 05, 2020, 11:09:43 AM »

Question is, (as seems likely) after Trump is dumped, whether these suburbanites feel compelled to return to their republican roots or if the realignment in suburbs is a more permanent fixture.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9858 on: November 05, 2020, 11:09:54 AM »

Where’s the Georgia update?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9859 on: November 05, 2020, 11:10:00 AM »

There was pretty clear ticket splitting of Biden/Purdue likely from the suburbs this time. If those people show up in January that wont change. But I guess we'll see soon either way. Republicans only need 1 to hold, dems need both.

I think they won't get either due to lower turnout. Hope to be wrong though.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9860 on: November 05, 2020, 11:10:13 AM »

What he’s saying is that he’ll be trying to block all Biden cabinet appointments as long as they are Democrats, does anyone believe that he’ll do anything else?
Then why did Axios feel the need to add in his comments about how he’ll be fine with ‘centrists’ when you know damn well he’s making that statement in bad faith?

Indeed. Let's remember that Orin Hatch said that if Obama really wanted a justice confirmed, he should nominate somone like Merrick Garland...
politics_king
United States

« Reply #9861 on: November 05, 2020, 11:10:23 AM »

Ok. One, all you Doom sayers or haters have been wrong on a lot of things. Second, elecorates change, new voter registration is until December 7th for Georgia to vote in that election. The narrative is different and Ossoff with Warnock (who is running against an unpopular Senator) could drive turnout. At least having the chance, no where did I say he would win but at least get the chance. But please go doom say somewhere else, you guys are super annoying.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9862 on: November 05, 2020, 11:10:46 AM »

Oh if you think Trump is going to leave the picture quietly...you don’t know Donald Trump.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #9863 on: November 05, 2020, 11:11:02 AM »

Yeah, it's increasingly looking like Stacey Abrams's strategy of just overwhelming the rest of the state with votes from the Atlanta metro was right too early rather than wrong. Demographic wise, Georgia is on an express train to Illinoisville, and 2020 isn't the last stop.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #9864 on: November 05, 2020, 11:11:06 AM »

Well it’s 11am ET...where’s GA?
rhg2052

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.78

« Reply #9865 on: November 05, 2020, 11:11:28 AM »

Outstanding ballots in Fulton County is now down to about 2,000 - Fulton County Elections Director
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #9866 on: November 05, 2020, 11:11:45 AM »

forsythvoter

« Reply #9867 on: November 05, 2020, 11:11:51 AM »

This is good stuff. The last batch of Cobb mail-ins were 10k Biden to 4K Trump or about D+45 for comparison. I'm assuming the Gwinnett ones will follow a similar trend.

The Trump campaign's hopes rest with the rurals and if they can keep those margins with the mail-ins.

This is from the 538 blog, with the estimated remaining votes as of earlier this morning (note: this is still a moving target!)

County     Votes      Lean in 2016 relative to state
Chatham  17,157   D+22
Fulton      11,200   D+51
Clayton      7,408   D+75
Gwinnett    7,338   D+23
Forsyth      4,713   R+29
Harris        3,641   R+49
Bryan        3,027   R+38
Laurens     1,797   R+24
Putnam     1,552   R+37
Sumter     1,202   D+51
Cobb           700   D+7
Floyd           682   R+38
Burke          494   D+8
Taylor          456   R+18

Weighted average: D+19.  But don't forget that absentee ballots are running much more D than the above partisan leans (e.g. last I heard, Biden was actually winning Forsyth absentees).
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9868 on: November 05, 2020, 11:12:01 AM »

Yeah there is virtually zero chance the Dems win those runoffs. I mean zero.

This is swperste from my hardline stand on fools gold Georgia. I mean that point is the main one. You think with Georgia as close as it is would have a BETTER Dem result with a trifecta clinching majority on the line? Absolutely not. Doug Jones had better odds in Alabama.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #9869 on: November 05, 2020, 11:12:04 AM »

Outstanding ballots in Fulton County is now down to about 2,000 - Fulton County Elections Director
Haw they released the data?
compucomp

« Reply #9870 on: November 05, 2020, 11:12:05 AM »

I'm not sure there is much Biden/Purdue ticket splitting. Current vote shares:

President: Trump 49.6%, Biden 49.2%, Other 1.2%
Senate: Purdue 50.0%, Ossoff 47.6%, Other 2.3%

Purdue's overperforming Trump by a little but most of the gap is from Shane Hazel the Libertarian candidate in the Senate race.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9871 on: November 05, 2020, 11:12:12 AM »

Well it’s 11am ET...where’s GA?

*checks outside* We're still east of Alabama.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #9872 on: November 05, 2020, 11:12:19 AM »

The worst timeline.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9873 on: November 05, 2020, 11:12:20 AM »

Ok. One, all you Doom sayers or haters have been wrong on a lot of things. Second, elecorates change, new voter registration is until December 7th for Georgia to vote in that election. The narrative is different and Ossoff with Warnock (who is running against an unpopular Senator) could drive turnout. At least having the chance, no where did I say he would win but at least get the chance. But please go doom say somewhere else, you guys are super annoying.

I hope both the democrats lose. I want divided government.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #9874 on: November 05, 2020, 11:12:31 AM »

Facepalm.
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 392 393 394 [395] 396 397 398 399 400 ... 818  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies