2020 Presidential Election Results & Exit Polls commentary thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:18:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  2020 Presidential Election Results & Exit Polls commentary thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 818
Author Topic: 2020 Presidential Election Results & Exit Polls commentary thread  (Read 617346 times)
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #650 on: November 03, 2020, 03:04:36 PM »

We don't know how independents will split or how many crossover R/D voters there will be, so I'm trying not to read anything into these numbers.
Splash
United States

« Reply #651 on: November 03, 2020, 03:05:06 PM »

The unknown variable here is the amount of absentee ballots that have been dropped off today.

RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #652 on: November 03, 2020, 03:05:17 PM »

Guam update (61% partially reporting, 14k total votes): margin stays pretty consistent since last update at Biden 55.7, Trump 41.5.

Guam update (73% partially reporting, 19k total votes): marginal improvement for Biden to 55.8, Trump at 41.4.

Guam update (82% partially reporting, 22.5k total votes): Trump slightly improves. Biden at 55.35, Trump at 41.97. Results seem pretty stable.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #653 on: November 03, 2020, 03:05:18 PM »

We don't know how independents will split or how many crossover R/D voters there will be, so I'm trying not to read anything into these numbers.

No, but we can make some educated guesses based on polling.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #654 on: November 03, 2020, 03:05:28 PM »

For those who are interested, I finally took a close look at the early vote data from Texas.

The TLDR is that even with making some pretty conservative assumptions, it seems extremely easy to get to a narrow Biden win scenario if you start off from the 2020 turnout by county data and the 2018 Beto-Cruz results. In fact, it is sort of hard to not come out with Biden ahead unless you are really straining things and trying to strain the available data to interpret it as much in Trump's favor as possible. For one thing, the turnout in a lot of white rural heavily GOP counties seems to have lagged pretty hard during the early vote period behind the larger urban/suburban counties.

I wrote a longer post in the Final prediction: Who will win TX? thread here describing how I came up with this in detail: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=410006.msg7722991#msg7722991

This is enough for me to push TX to (very narrowly) tilt Biden. It just seems more plausible that Biden will win TX than that he will lose it - which is saying something for a state that has been as strongly R as Texas.

But here is my little scenario/benchmarks for what is required for a narrow Biden win for the largest counties that you can compare to the results on election night.

If Biden is generally hitting these sorts of numbers, then he could win Texas (but is not guaranteed if he is only barely hitting them). One interesting thing to note is that the Biden margin from Harris + Dallas + Travis counties here adds up to almost exactly 1 million.

As a quick shorthand, you can look at those 3 counties, and if Biden's margin from those 3 counties is more than 1 million, then he has a shot of narrowly winning Texas and perhaps may even be favored to do so.

Another interesting thing about this scenario is it does not even require Biden to win Collin or Denton counties to win statewide. That is a direct result of the assumptions that went into it, however. I deliberately did not assume any sort of extra suburban swing to Dems beyond what we already saw in 2018, and only assumed that the surge voters would be, in each county, slightly more Dem than the non-surge voters. Basically, in this scenario, the swings to Biden are larger in counties where there are lots of surge voters, and lower in counties where there are not many surge voters, due to the deliberately cautious and conservative assumption that the only thing Biden has going for him are the surge voters being (slightly) more Dem. In reality, I would expect any swing to Biden to be a bit more concentrated in the urban/suburban counties than here. If Biden does a bit better in counties like Collin/Denton, then that would give him a little bit of cushion against some possible slippage in some rural counties.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #655 on: November 03, 2020, 03:06:03 PM »

The official slogan of Atlas!
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #656 on: November 03, 2020, 03:07:19 PM »

I suppose, but the polling subsamples we're talking about have high MOE so it's difficult. The difference between say Biden in FL winning 11% of Rs vs 9% of Rs could be the state.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #657 on: November 03, 2020, 03:07:23 PM »

Tick tock. Not much time left for Trump to get to 400,000.

Or even 300k.

To clarify, Trump doesn't necessarily need +300k or +400k to win FL; he could win it with fewer. Failing to reach those targets makes the road much more difficult and likely makes him the underdog, however.

Oh I agree, this is just like when people were saying “Dems need to win the early vote and VBM in Florida by 600k to win!” which was... dumb lol.

But the trend seems to be that ED voting is becoming less R as the day progresses, and this is a bad trend for Republicans.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #658 on: November 03, 2020, 03:07:51 PM »

Only 4 hours left until the first polls close!

3 hours! Some KY & IN polls close at 6pm EST (though whole states won't be closed 'til 7pm, as usual).
whale
Rookie

« Reply #659 on: November 03, 2020, 03:08:00 PM »

I voted a few hours ago in a Biden-friendly Philly neighborhood. There was no line, I was able to go immediately in and out.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #660 on: November 03, 2020, 03:09:44 PM »

After 27 pages or so, what’s the gist of how Election Day voting is looking for Biden?  Any reason for me to doom, or is it looking good for us?
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #661 on: November 03, 2020, 03:10:31 PM »

First batch of exit polls come at 5, so look out for that
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #662 on: November 03, 2020, 03:11:25 PM »

After 27 pages or so, what’s the gist of how Election Day voting is looking for Biden?  Any reason for me to doom, or is it looking good for us?

I'll give you the standard answer:  it depends on who you ask and what sources you're viewing. 
EJ24
United States

« Reply #663 on: November 03, 2020, 03:11:37 PM »

It's looking good and there are reports that the Trump Inner Circle is dooming right now.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #664 on: November 03, 2020, 03:11:54 PM »

Or even 300k.

To clarify, Trump doesn't necessarily need +300k or +400k to win FL; he could win it with fewer. Failing to reach those targets makes the road much more difficult and likely makes him the underdog, however.

He's definitely not making it to either of those numbers IMO.  Unless the updates aren't close to current.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #665 on: November 03, 2020, 03:12:20 PM »

What timezone is this?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #666 on: November 03, 2020, 03:12:45 PM »

GOP Florida Turnout advantage at the end of early voting was around -129,000

2:41 Pm update: +133,11 (not including a few counties that manually report including Miami-Dade
In Miami, Dems entered today with 40.7% of votes cast being Democrats, 30.7% Republicans.
Today, 35% Dems, 31% republicans.

GOP outperforming 2016 turnout in wwc areas and latinx areas and Dems doing well in Suburbia, especially Seminole.

Florida is an enigma. No matter what, a candidate makes gains with one group and loses ground in another. It's astonishing. It's like the people of Florida have some unspoken agreement to make every race under 2%.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #667 on: November 03, 2020, 03:13:31 PM »

There is, as always, plenty of evidence for any interpretation you want. The AG quote in my sig is evergreen.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #668 on: November 03, 2020, 03:13:34 PM »

TX - GOP has expressed worry, early #s look better than Beto's in '18
PA - GOP has expressed worry
Otherwise - GOP turnout not reaching the point where it needs to be to make a Trump win even probable.

Exit polls may indicate a nail in the coffin.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #669 on: November 03, 2020, 03:13:42 PM »

It's looking good and there are reports that the Trump Inner Circle is dooming right now.

what states are they dooming about?  Pennsylvania?  
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #670 on: November 03, 2020, 03:13:53 PM »

What timezone is this?

Eastern. Times are always Eastern here it seems.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #671 on: November 03, 2020, 03:14:46 PM »

2:41 Pm update: +133,11 (not including a few counties that manually report including Miami-Dade
In Miami, Dems entered today with 40.7% of votes cast being Democrats, 30.7% Republicans.

GOP outperforming 2016 turnout in wwc areas and latinx areas and Dems doing well in Suburbia, especially Seminole.

Florida is an enigma. No matter what, a candidate makes gains with one group and loses ground in another. It's astonishing. It's like the people of Florida have some unspoken agreement to make every race under 2%.

... concealed in a mystery, hidden in a riddle, ... chugged by a dude.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #672 on: November 03, 2020, 03:15:04 PM »

Or even 300k.

He's definitely not making it to either of those numbers IMO.  Unless the updates aren't close to current.

And how many raw votes are there? There were 9.4 in 16 and 8 and change in 18. We are getting just south of 11 now. A 400k deficit probably matters even less now.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #673 on: November 03, 2020, 03:15:33 PM »

TX - GOP has expressed worry, early #s look better than Beto's in '18
PA - GOP has expressed worry
Otherwise - GOP turnout not reaching the point where it needs to be to make a Trump win even probable.

Exit polls may indicate a nail in the coffin.

The final results will. Everything before, at least for the most part, only means so much
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #674 on: November 03, 2020, 03:16:16 PM »

... concealed in a mystery, hidden in a riddle, ... chugged Smoked by  the dude.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 818  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies