IA-Selzer: Trump +7
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 02:24:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  IA-Selzer: Trump +7
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 23
Author Topic: IA-Selzer: Trump +7  (Read 37092 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: October 31, 2020, 07:22:50 PM »

Occam's Razor: Trump is probably up about 4 points in Iowa, this poll is within the margin of error of what is correct, as are the ones showing a close race there, the "national picture" of where the race stands is pretty much unchanged.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #201 on: October 31, 2020, 07:23:38 PM »

Not y'all trying to unskew the results through their CD polls. It's n = 200, they're bound to be wonky. The n = 800 sample that shows a Biden collapse is really the only part of the poll that matters.

They apparently weight by congressional district so yes they actually may matter

Maybe Cedar Rapids was really underpolled. I mean Biden is blowing it out of the park in Ashley Hinson’s state house district that Hillary barely won, if the PPP poll is to be believed.
forza nocta

« Reply #202 on: October 31, 2020, 07:23:42 PM »

I said it before but I would have a better time believing this poll if most other polls had Biden in the lower 40s like they did for Hillary in 2016. But every other quality Iowa poll had Biden at 47+ in Iowa. Oh well, we’ll see in a few days.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #203 on: October 31, 2020, 07:25:21 PM »

I said almost two years ago that Finkenauer would be one of the most likely Dem flips.

Firstly, she's not a good candidate. Also there are no major cities in her district (Cedar Rapids doesn't count), not many suburbs, virtually no minorities and it's not particularly well educated. A district like that is not staying Dem in 2020 outside of New England.

But Trump only won here by about 4 points. This district is just like Cheri Bustos’ and Ron Kind’s districts, and neither of them seem in much trouble.

They're entrenched and Bustos is a high ranking Dem. Kind will be gone in the next Dem midterm and Bustos will only survive due to gerrymandering. If Illinois passes fair redistricting she's likely out too in the next D midterm.
LOL. Kind survived 2010 and IOWA IS NOT WISCONSIN.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #204 on: October 31, 2020, 07:25:37 PM »

ContendedIndie is misogynistic subhuman filth who in a just world would be rotting in a camp.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #205 on: October 31, 2020, 07:25:43 PM »

Haha what did I tell you guys? What did I tell you.
tjstarling
Rookie

« Reply #206 on: October 31, 2020, 07:25:50 PM »

I won't lie, this is the first thing in a long time that does give me some pause. People like to dismiss this as "just Iowa" but the swings/trends in Iowa do portents trends amongst certain demographics. Also, even if this is "one poll" and no poll is infallible, Selzer has a great track record (final poll Trump +7 in '16 and Obama +5 in '12). Could they be off, sure, but I don't think trashing this is the sensible course of action. Also, I don't put much weight in the complaints about undecideds. Their 2016 polls had high undecideds as well.

Questions I have though:

There are some strange trends in this poll. If you look at the final two Selzer polls from '16, Trump went from +4 to +7. But Clinton didn't lose support between those polls, Trump just gained. Why is Biden's support dropping here? Not saying it's wrong, just interesting.

Also, with hindsight, we saw why 2016 polls missed the mark (under sampling Trump friendly demos, high undecideds, etc.). Contrary to what some people here and elsewhere tend to assert, nonpartisan pollsters don't want to be wrong. That's just silly. Many have made adjustments this cycle. So if that's the case, what does Selzer know or is capturing here that other pollsters are missing? I can't figure that part out either.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #207 on: October 31, 2020, 07:25:54 PM »

Also, if Trump truly is winning Iowa bigly, why is he paying visits to it this weekend?
Splash
United States

« Reply #208 on: October 31, 2020, 07:26:37 PM »

How come Survey Monkey isn't getting more love on this board? I mean, if we're making value judgements of polling results entirely based on prior performance, then Survey Monkey was actually more accurate than Selzer; they had Trump +9 in the final IA poll, nailing the margin.

Looking forward to Biden +12 in WI on Tuesday!  

dspNY
United States

« Reply #209 on: October 31, 2020, 07:26:51 PM »

Also, if Trump truly is winning Iowa bigly, why is he paying visits to it this weekend?

That's exactly my point. There's no need for Trump to go to Iowa if he's up that much. It would be a waste of his time when there are other larger, close states
Senator Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #210 on: October 31, 2020, 07:26:57 PM »

The Gold Standard. Now that you are seeing what I have all along I'd like to let you see a great sight of an amazing President who will keep winning for the American people.
philly09

« Reply #211 on: October 31, 2020, 07:27:07 PM »

AncestralDemocrat.
United States

« Reply #212 on: October 31, 2020, 07:27:19 PM »

Contented Indie with all due respect.. is a complete idiot.

I've seen him claim that Montana is a tossup, and that Biden would come within 10 points in WV. lmao.
I don't think he ever said within 10 in WV.

Junior Chimp

« Reply #213 on: October 31, 2020, 07:27:48 PM »

Typical Atlas. Of course, Trump supporters and Doomers are in here salivating over one poll lol.

Meanwhile, ignoring all of the other great polls that came out today for Biden. And ignoring the fact that this is not 2012 and Iowa is irrelevant to Biden's chances of victory.
Let's get this straighten out: Do you really believe Biden is up with 10-15 Points with Independents accross the Midwest as most of the other Pollsters have him? I questioned it all along. Something was wrong with that - Period. What might save Biden is the large VBM Vote otherwise it's curtains for him.

In fact, if Trump loses it will be because of the VBM Ballots. People who are showing up in person are most likely voting for him.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #214 on: October 31, 2020, 07:28:14 PM »

*** I apologize for the sh*t posting tonight everyone.  I don’t think I’m gonna be having much fun in 3 days, so let me have my moment right now.

Nah, the memes are always fun
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #215 on: October 31, 2020, 07:29:03 PM »

I've seen him claim that Montana is a tossup, and that Biden would come within 10 points in WV. lmao.

This was also when the South was in the midst of its major COVID outbreak, the nation was still hot-blooded over George Floyd and Breonna Taylor, Trump pulled his tear-gassing stunt in front of that Episcopal chapel, and unemployment was still rising.

It was reasonable to believe at that time that Trump could lose a LOT of ground.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #216 on: October 31, 2020, 07:29:07 PM »

This. This kind of garbage analysis is why I don't follow or even pay attention to election/political twitter.
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #217 on: October 31, 2020, 07:29:14 PM »

This thread has an abundance of quotable posts that shall be put into good use come Wednesday.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #218 on: October 31, 2020, 07:29:21 PM »

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/iowa/

Here’s the 2016 polling forecast from 538. Note that Hillary had not reached 45% in an Iowa poll since August.
TopShelfGoal

« Reply #219 on: October 31, 2020, 07:29:48 PM »

I am not a doomer and don't think this poll means Trump reelection but I must admit that this poll has me shook.
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #220 on: October 31, 2020, 07:29:56 PM »

I take it this page is gonna reach 6 pages by Midnight EST?

I felt Ohio was likelier to flip than Iowa anyway so I don't get the hysteria.

You were way too optimistic.  Up to page 9 and it's only 8:30 PM.  You underestimate the bedwetters on this Forum who have completely freaked out over one statewide poll in what should be the Trump redoubt.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #221 on: October 31, 2020, 07:30:39 PM »

Have they always had the "Don't want to tell (Already Voted only)" option in the past? The amount there (5% in the Presidential race and 4% in the Senate race) almost 100% explains the support that both Biden and Greenfield lost from the September poll.

I think at least some of Biden’s support is hidden in the “Don’t want to tell (Already Voted only).” Trump so probably still up, but not this much.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #222 on: October 31, 2020, 07:30:47 PM »

The Gold Standard. Now that you are seeing what I have all along I'd like to let you see a great sight of an amazing President who will keep winning for the American people.

If Republicans are truly winning, why are they trying to have votes tossed in PA and TX through court intervention?
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #223 on: October 31, 2020, 07:31:27 PM »

Another laughable cross-tab: Trump is winning the youth vote!
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #224 on: October 31, 2020, 07:31:42 PM »
« Edited: October 31, 2020, 09:39:02 PM by EastOfEden »

That's...quite the sampling error. How do you even end up with such a distortion? Did they delete Cedar Rapids from the map? Did Hillary stop chilling?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies