Update for Everyone VIII: He who laughs have the last laugh
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:27:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone VIII: He who laughs have the last laugh
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 95
Author Topic: Update for Everyone VIII: He who laughs have the last laugh  (Read 103110 times)
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #600 on: May 05, 2021, 09:20:22 PM »

i feel like im living in a nightmare and have absolutely no idea why.

Uhhh....you okay bro?
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #601 on: May 05, 2021, 10:46:52 PM »

So the pandemic has made my work life pretty horrible. I feel like work has been consuming most of my life in this last year due to having little to no staff, trying to fit my job + the jobs of 2-3 of my not filled staff in 40 hours, being super busy because of poor decisions people made during the pandemic, and 3 of my vacation requests being denied for various reasons from 2020-2021. I'm thankful that I'll finally get a half week vacation next week, because for the first time in my 7 years with my current employer, I had a nightmare about work.

Between work and international border closures, 2020-2021 has been a sh!t year. But, there is a silver lining, as what little free time I had left this last year has been spent exploring my faith further, and a little over a month ago, at the Easter Vigil, I officially entered the Catholic Church. It has been my greatest source of peace I've found in the chaos that has been this last year, and probably one of the greatest joys I've experienced in my life so far.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #602 on: May 05, 2021, 10:59:06 PM »

Between work and international border closures, 2020-2021 has been a sh!t year. But, there is a silver lining, as what little free time I had left this last year has been spent exploring my faith further, and a little over a month ago, at the Easter Vigil, I officially entered the Catholic Church. It has been my greatest source of peace I've found in the chaos that has been this last year, and probably one of the greatest joys I've experienced in my life so far.
To date, I still can’t believe you used to follow a religion practiced by several of my family members back home and my close friends.

Exactly, after having your formative years in the Baha’i faith, what’s your opinion of it?
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #603 on: May 05, 2021, 11:14:26 PM »

To date, I still can’t believe you used to follow a religion practiced by several of my family members back home and my close friends.

Exactly, after having your formative years in the Baha’i faith, what’s your opinion of it?

I realize as I've gotten older that American Baha'is really aren't all that similar to ones in the Middle East. At least my experience growing up wasn't all that structured outside of feasts, Baha'i school (basically Sunday school but for the Baha'i faith), and Nowruz. It was basically like what you would expect from Americans with any new age religious movements. While we had some small numbers of actual Persian people who led in the communities and kept it more formal and organized at times, it felt kind of like a hippie gathering without the actual hippies or drugs.

To some degree, I kind of wish I paid more attention to the whole theology behind it, just so I can understand it more. My grandparents are significantly more devout than how my mom raised us (they live back in Alaska so they couldn't really reinforce it much), and as I got into my teenage years, I paid less and less attention in Baha'i school until we eventually stopped participating and practicing as a family.

So unfortunately, I don't really think I'd be the best source for giving an opinion on it, as I don't really feel I took it seriously enough.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #604 on: May 05, 2021, 11:25:11 PM »

I realize as I've gotten older that American Baha'is really aren't all that similar to ones in the Middle East. At least my experience growing up wasn't all that structured outside of feasts, Baha'i school (basically Sunday school but for the Baha'i faith), and Nowruz. It was basically like what you would expect from Americans with any new age religious movements. While we had some small numbers of actual Persian people who led in the communities and kept it more formal and organized at times, it felt kind of like a hippie gathering without the actual hippies or drugs.

To some degree, I kind of wish I paid more attention to the whole theology behind it, just so I can understand it more. My grandparents are significantly more devout than how my mom raised us (they live back in Alaska so they couldn't really reinforce it much), and as I got into my teenage years, I paid less and less attention in Baha'i school until we eventually stopped participating and practicing as a family.

So unfortunately, I don't really think I'd be the best source for giving an opinion on it, as I don't really feel I took it seriously enough.
I really do hope you continue on recognizing the beauty of the changing seasons with a feast and the whole table full of coins, garlic, saffron, samanu, mirrors, sabze, senjeh, and the rest of the shebang. I’m kinda happy that they are spreading such a beautiful tradition abroad. Shame the Akhundah are in power and unwilling to share turf.

Surprised there are Iroonis in Alaska, but not surprised about the rest. The American and overall western area of Baha’i faith are led by hipsters and hippies that get confused that the faith is more tightly controlled than the Orthodox churches. Several schisms have happened because of it.

The white yuppies may not however strayed that far off. There’s a lot of Iranian countercultural stuff baked into the faith, and its fractious history has only made it even more so. This is compared to stuff in Iran, so abstaining from fun like the finer things in life of enjoying the same fruit and usage of drugs are prohibited.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #605 on: May 06, 2021, 01:50:41 AM »

lol, when you stay up late to meet with your European colleagues and they no show...
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #606 on: May 06, 2021, 04:34:08 PM »

lol, when you stay up late to meet with your European colleagues and they no show...

Tbh I wish this was the case whenever I’m up at 1am being grilled by the boys in Japan.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #607 on: May 08, 2021, 01:45:32 AM »

back home so I've changed my avi accordingly
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #608 on: May 11, 2021, 12:57:01 PM »

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY do tech companies expect people in finance & accounting to use MacBooks!!!!!

None of the usual Excel keyboard shortcuts work. Everything is so unbearably counter-intuitive. I don't understand what any of the icons at the bottom of the screen mean!

MacBooks are fine for HR and tech and marketing but NOT for finance and accounting. Gah!

Yep, I'm gonna b*tch about Apple more. I've been using a brand new MacBook Pro for the past two weeks, and I have had nothing but trouble. First, after getting it set up and downloading all necessary programs, setting up my preferences, etc. I wake up one day and my Mac has crashed and is in an unrecoverable reboot mode. I hand my laptop back into the IT department and get a new MacBook Pro. I go through the set up process for everything all over again. Now today, I get locked out of my Gmail account and have to type in some code into the Command Prompt that tech set me to reset some things, then my mouse indicator freezes, but only on the laptop itself and not the auxiliary screen.

I have never had so much trouble as I have had with Apple products, whether they be laptops or iPods or iPhones. Just constant issues relating to the Apple software or hardware. In all of my years using Windows or Samsung products, I rarely have had more than one major issue per year. The worst part is that with Apple products, the problems are usually with mundane but necessary things that are just so godd*mned irritating, and happen so often. With Windows or Samsung, it's usually just one fairly important thing that can be solved with some patience and work and then we're off again. And usually, I can solve the Windows/Samsung issues on my own; with Apple, I need some kind of advanced tech support.

Even this cheap little ASUS laptop I got for just $600 has served me very well over the past 2.5 years with minimal issues.

I am not sure if I am unusually unlucky or Apple products really are this sh*t (judging from how busy our IT Helpdesk channel is on Slack, I lean more towards the former), but I am just at a loss for words why people say Apple products are good or preferable.

Thank you for reading my anti-Apple screed. Have a pleasant evening.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #609 on: May 11, 2021, 01:00:01 PM »

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY do tech companies expect people in finance & accounting to use MacBooks!!!!!

None of the usual Excel keyboard shortcuts work. Everything is so unbearably counter-intuitive. I don't understand what any of the icons at the bottom of the screen mean!

MacBooks are fine for HR and tech and marketing but NOT for finance and accounting. Gah!

Yep, I'm gonna b*tch about Apple more. I've been using a brand new MacBook Pro for the past two weeks, and I have had nothing but trouble. First, after getting it set up and downloading all necessary programs, setting up my preferences, etc. I wake up one day and my Mac has crashed and is in an unrecoverable reboot mode. I hand my laptop back into the IT department and get a new MacBook Pro. I go through the set up process for everything all over again. Now today, I get locked out of my Gmail account and have to type in some code into the Command Prompt that tech set me to reset some things, then my mouse indicator freezes, but only on the laptop itself and not the auxiliary screen.

I have never had so much trouble as I have had with Apple products, whether they be laptops or iPods or iPhones. Just constant issues relating to the Apple software or hardware. In all of my years using Windows or Samsung products, I rarely have had more than one major issue per year. The worst part is that with Apple products, the problems are usually with mundane but necessary things that are just so godd*mned irritating, and happen so often. With Windows or Samsung, it's usually just one fairly important thing that can be solved with some patience and work and then we're off again. And usually, I can solve the Windows/Samsung issues on my own; with Apple, I need some kind of advanced tech support.

Even this cheap little ASUS laptop I got for just $600 has served me very well over the past 2.5 years with minimal issues.

I am not sure if I am unusually unlucky or Apple products really are this sh*t (judging from how busy our IT Helpdesk channel is on Slack, I lean more towards the former), but I am just at a loss for words why people say Apple products are good or preferable.

Thank you for reading my anti-Apple screed. Have a pleasant evening.
Condolences. That being said, I can't say I've ever used anything from Apple, (except for Quicktime) and so I can't relate to your plight.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #610 on: May 11, 2021, 09:23:54 PM »

woke up this morning concerned i was having a heart attack. i just pretended it wasn't happening and i think im fine now though
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #611 on: May 13, 2021, 04:46:08 PM »

Hey everyone!
Just wanna update that I'm currently undergoing officer's training in the IDF. I started in Tuesday- yep, right when the security situation went downhill. It's been extremely intensive and hard, almost no time for me to rest and check my phone. It's also hard to hear the news in the background (I'm also bummed out we won't replace Netanyahu now).

Anyway, the base is in an area pretty safe from missile attacks, so I'm safe! If anyone wants to check in, you can find me in discord/dm me here (though I'll see it after a while because I won't be checking atlas much).
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #612 on: May 14, 2021, 02:58:35 PM »

happy birthday to me
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #613 on: May 14, 2021, 04:54:00 PM »

My sincere condolences.
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #614 on: May 16, 2021, 09:29:05 AM »

Southern Portuguese red wine is fantastic.  Why did nobody tell me this??
I think it might just supplant Spain in my tastes.  Certainly as good as Cali.

Anyway just ordered another crate full.

🍇🍇🍇
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #615 on: May 16, 2021, 01:01:53 PM »

Southern Portuguese red wine is fantastic.  Why did nobody tell me this??
I think it might just supplant Spain in my tastes.  Certainly as good as Cali.

Anyway just ordered another crate full.

🍇🍇🍇
Duoro reds from the north are even better, imo.
FairBol
United States

« Reply #616 on: May 17, 2021, 12:21:16 AM »

I read that as "IRS with accompanying lower back pain", ROFL! Wink
FairBol
United States

« Reply #617 on: May 17, 2021, 12:22:10 AM »

Hey everyone!
Just wanna update that I'm currently undergoing officer's training in the IDF. I started in Tuesday- yep, right when the security situation went downhill. It's been extremely intensive and hard, almost no time for me to rest and check my phone. It's also hard to hear the news in the background (I'm also bummed out we won't replace Netanyahu now).

Anyway, the base is in an area pretty safe from missile attacks, so I'm safe! If anyone wants to check in, you can find me in discord/dm me here (though I'll see it after a while because I won't be checking atlas much).

Stay safe man.  Props to ya. 
FairBol
United States

« Reply #618 on: May 17, 2021, 12:26:48 AM »

FINALLY got to venture out without a mask the other day.  It's about damn time. 
Thunder98 🇮🇱 🤝 🇵🇸
Thunder98
United States

P P P
« Reply #619 on: May 17, 2021, 10:35:04 AM »

I turn 23 today... 
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #620 on: May 17, 2021, 01:20:10 PM »

Happy birthday!
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #621 on: May 17, 2021, 01:22:32 PM »

happy birthing day!
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #622 on: May 17, 2021, 01:32:18 PM »

I'll be eligible to book a vaccine starting tomorrow morning from 8am. Finally!
JoeInator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -4.00

« Reply #623 on: May 18, 2021, 02:44:30 PM »

I got into my first car accident/fender bender today. Fortunately nobody was hurt but now the front of my car is all scratched up so that might need to get fixed.
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #624 on: May 18, 2021, 04:17:39 PM »

I got into my first car accident/fender bender today. Fortunately nobody was hurt but now the front of my car is all scratched up so that might need to get fixed.

A girl smashed my car up today.  It's my third crash since I got my license in 2018.  She came flying round a corner on a country lane and neither of us turned in time.  Like yours luckily nobody was hurt.  She was terribly sorry and I got the impression she thought I was kinda cute but the roadside of a crash just wasn't the time...

I was singing Sparks Fly when the crash happened so I guess the crash was my punishment.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 95  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies