WI-SEN 2022 Megathread: Who stole my cheese?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 11:34:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  WI-SEN 2022 Megathread: Who stole my cheese?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 45
Author Topic: WI-SEN 2022 Megathread: Who stole my cheese?  (Read 68224 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #800 on: September 08, 2022, 07:32:59 AM »

The entire quote is even worse

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #801 on: September 08, 2022, 10:04:52 AM »

Johnson and Baldwin absolutely hate each other, so it's not surprising that he would be denigrating her in his remarks here.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #802 on: September 08, 2022, 04:15:02 PM »

Johnson and Baldwin absolutely hate each other, so it's not surprising that he would be denigrating her in his remarks here.

They are objectively the most toxic Senate delegation towards eachother. At least folks like Tester and Daines or Manchin and Capito get along fine as they all have pretty chill personalities. In this case it really seems to be more on Johnson's end but also Baldwin tending to be a pretty firm Dem and ot falling for a lot of R bs.

I do wonder if there's some level of tension between Lee and Romney?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #803 on: September 08, 2022, 04:18:30 PM »

They are objectively the most toxic Senate delegation towards eachother. At least folks like Tester and Daines or Manchin and Capito get along fine as they all have pretty chill personalities. In this case it really seems to be more on Johnson's end but also Baldwin tending to be a pretty firm Dem and ot falling for a lot of R bs.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were. Lee is by far the most conservative member of Utah's congressional delegation, as the gay marriage vote will show. And of course, he voted to acquit Trump and has been a hardline conservative through his time in office, much more so than Romney.

Another example of a good Senatorial relationship is that between Brown and Portman in Ohio. Brown is a generic liberal Democrat and Portman is a "country club" Republican, but they've always gotten along well. But from all accounts, Johnson is a distinctly unpleasant individual, and I wouldn't be surprised if his affinity for conspiracy theories is also a factor in his poor relationship with Baldwin.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #804 on: September 08, 2022, 04:20:41 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if there were. Lee is by far the most conservative member of Utah's congressional delegation, as the gay marriage vote will show. And of course, he voted to acquit Trump and has been a hardline conservative through his time in office, much more so than Romney.

Another example of a good Senatorial relationship is that between Brown and Portman in Ohio. Brown is a generic liberal Democrat and Portman is a "country club" Republican, but they've always gotten along well. But from all accounts, Johnson is a distinctly unpleasant individual, and I wouldn't be surprised if his affinity for conspiracy theories is also a factor in his poor relationship with Baldwin.
While I agree Johnson is uniquely toxic compared to most Senate Rs, I would have a hard time seeing Baldwin truly "getting along" with most any R in the sense they're actual friends. She def isn't as toxic overall.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #805 on: September 08, 2022, 04:26:42 PM »

While I agree Johnson is uniquely toxic compared to most Senate Rs, I would have a hard time seeing Baldwin truly "getting along" with most any R in the sense they're actual friends. She def isn't as toxic overall.

Why would it be difficult for you to envision this?
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #806 on: September 08, 2022, 04:49:06 PM »

Prolly just cause the fact she's more progressive than basically every other split delegation Dem. It's be hard for her to be truly friends or even on good terms with any Rs who oppose Democracy and stuff.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #807 on: September 08, 2022, 06:25:19 PM »

Prolly just cause the fact she's more progressive than basically every other split delegation Dem. It's be hard for her to be truly friends or even on good terms with any Rs who oppose Democracy and stuff.

Also she's a lesbian, so I imagine it would be difficult to get along with people who oppose your civil rights.
JM1295
Rookie
United States
« Reply #808 on: September 08, 2022, 08:29:10 PM »

One of the funniest parts of Wisconsin senate races is seeing Baldwin or Johnson actively campaign against the other. It makes sense why they don't care for each other to put it lightly. Most split senate delegations have more moderate Senators or at least more mainstream Dems and Republicans. Baldwin is one of the more progressive Democeats in the Senate, while Johnson is one of the more conservative. It speaks to how evenly split the state is.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #809 on: September 08, 2022, 10:49:28 PM »

One of the funniest parts of Wisconsin senate races is seeing Baldwin or Johnson actively campaign against the other. It makes sense why they don't care for each other to put it lightly. Most split senate delegations have more moderate Senators or at least more mainstream Dems and Republicans. Baldwin is one of the more progressive Democeats in the Senate, while Johnson is one of the more conservative. It speaks to how evenly split the state is.
I think Walker/Ossoff will be up there if Georgia flips this year.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #810 on: September 09, 2022, 11:08:47 PM »

While Walker may not be the best politician, I feel liek neither of them have personalities as toxic as Johnson's, or at least that they're willing to express in the public light. The way I imagine it going is Ossoff would moreso just be annoyed with Walker rather than actively despising him, especially if ass Senator he continues to have these Gaffes.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #811 on: September 13, 2022, 12:25:31 PM »

Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #812 on: September 13, 2022, 12:36:04 PM »

This was pretty much inevitable, and it's telling that Barnes is put in a very different category of "candidate quality" than, for example, Fetterman, and isn't considered "in touch" despite having a working class background and spending a good amount of time in rural Wisconsin. The issue for Barnes is that, unfortunately, he does have to be careful if he decides to respond directly to this or call it out, since he could easily be painted in a negative way if any response of his is deemed "aggressive."
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #813 on: September 13, 2022, 10:04:11 PM »

This was pretty much inevitable, and it's telling that Barnes is put in a very different category of "candidate quality" than, for example, Fetterman, and isn't considered "in touch" despite having a working class background and spending a good amount of time in rural Wisconsin. The issue for Barnes is that, unfortunately, he does have to be careful if he decides to respond directly to this or call it out, since he could easily be painted in a negative way if any response of his is deemed "aggressive."

Honestly in many ways the PA and WI senate races are pretty similar:

-PA and WI have nearly identical partisanship and simillar demographics
-Johnson and Oz are both out of touch and have said their share of offputting things
-Fetterman and Barnes are running on being a solid Dem, not some moderate hero, but still portraying good optics
-Both Fetterman and Barnes are LGs who saw clear consolidation of support in the primary
-Both Fetterman and Barnes know how to use various forms of media well, at least compared to their opponents
-Fetterman and Barnes are very much running all county campaigns and doing outreach to rural areas
-Johnson and Oz have really tried to redo their image to make them more relateable with various degrees of success
-Polling has been pretty simillar in both races but we know both states can have problems with polling

The main differences are:

-Johnson is there incumbent whereas Oz isn’t
-Johnson is def a bit more full maga than Oz
-Fetterman is white and hence has an easier time painting himself as that WWC union champion compared to Barnes
-Fetterman stroke
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #814 on: September 13, 2022, 10:09:00 PM »

Honestly in many ways the PA and WI senate races are pretty similar:

-PA and WI have nearly identical partisanship and simillar demographics
-Johnson and Oz are both out of touch and have said their share of offputting things
-Fetterman and Barnes are running on being a solid Dem, not some moderate hero, but still portraying good optics
-Both Fetterman and Barnes are LGs who saw clear consolidation of support in the primary
-Both Fetterman and Barnes know how to use various forms of media well, at least compared to their opponents
-Fetterman and Barnes are very much running all county campaigns and doing outreach to rural areas
-Johnson and Oz have really tried to redo their image to make them more relateable with various degrees of success
-Polling has been pretty simillar in both races but we know both states can have problems with polling

The main differences are:

-Johnson is there incumbent whereas Oz isn’t
-Johnson is def a bit more full maga than Oz
-Fetterman is white and hence has an easier time painting himself as that WWC union champion compared to Barnes
-Fetterman stroke

Yeah Mandela Barnes ran with Tony Evers in 2018 and defeat Kleefisch and Scott Walker did you know that in 2018 lol Johnson hasn't lead in a single poll

Even TRAFALGAR and Fox has Johnson behind look at the database it's colored D
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #815 on: September 13, 2022, 11:57:49 PM »

Feeling even better about my decision to support Barnes with a donation and may just make another one.

Johnson needs to go.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #816 on: September 14, 2022, 01:12:09 AM »

While Walker may not be the best politician, I feel liek neither of them have personalities as toxic as Johnson's, or at least that they're willing to express in the public light. The way I imagine it going is Ossoff would moreso just be annoyed with Walker rather than actively despising him, especially if ass Senator he continues to have these Gaffes.

Eh. I think for Walker personalities 1, 3, 6, 10 are less toxic, but 2, 5, 8, and 9 are more. 7 is difficult to judge.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #817 on: September 16, 2022, 04:50:50 PM »

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #818 on: September 16, 2022, 06:25:42 PM »

Yep. That makes sense. That good old Wisconsin dark money will deliver for Johnson once again.
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #819 on: September 16, 2022, 07:02:21 PM »

This is sickening. But I guess it's just like the deferrals in Never Let Me Go - it's easiest to come to terms with Barnes having no chance if you understand that he never had a chance. We didn't lose anything.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #820 on: September 16, 2022, 07:13:06 PM »

This is sickening. But I guess it's just like the deferrals in Never Let Me Go - it's easiest to come to terms with Barnes having no chance if you understand that he never had a chance. We didn't lose anything.

Your dooming is so predictable and tiresome. 
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #821 on: September 16, 2022, 07:42:19 PM »

In all seriousness why exactly did Johnson overperform Trump so much in 2016, especially relative to a lot of the gop candidates who would’ve been expected to overpeform the top of the ticket by more (Toomey, Ayotte, ect). Was Finegold just like really bad or did he have some unique appeal I’m not aware of? It just seems strange given he seemed to have the most baggage throughout the cycle of the incumbent Rs.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #822 on: September 20, 2022, 10:34:17 AM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #823 on: September 20, 2022, 10:36:12 AM »

In all seriousness why exactly did Johnson overperform Trump so much in 2016, especially relative to a lot of the gop candidates who would’ve been expected to overpeform the top of the ticket by more (Toomey, Ayotte, ect). Was Finegold just like really bad or did he have some unique appeal I’m not aware of? It just seems strange given he seemed to have the most baggage throughout the cycle of the incumbent Rs.

The Rs underperformed Trump when he wasn't on the ballot WI, PA, OH, KY 2018/2019 that's why Wolf won by 17 and Tammy Baldwin won by 10 and Brown won by 7
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #824 on: September 20, 2022, 02:56:47 PM »

Isn’t it also a case that the average person is more likely to know someone who is in a SSM rather than someone who has had an abortion and told them about it…

Maybe, but given that 30-40% of women have had an abortion, they are actually much more common than LGBT people.

I get why most of them never tell anyone though, given the level of fervor and vitriol most anti-abortion people have toward those who've been involved in the procedure.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 45  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies