Democrats, what would you consider a good Senate result?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 07:07:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Democrats, what would you consider a good Senate result?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: What would you consider a good Senate result in terms of the number of Senate seats Democrats and Democratic-aligned independents control after the election?
Not a Democrat or Democratic-leaner

Any net pick-up

A majority of any size

51 seats

52 seats

53 seats

54 seats

55 seats

56 seats

57 seats

58 seats

>=59 seats

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 117

Author Topic: Democrats, what would you consider a good Senate result?  (Read 1382 times)
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2020, 05:00:57 PM »
« edited: October 19, 2020, 05:09:52 PM by Storr »

I'd be happy with any Senate majority, especially if it's a close Presidential contest (for example Biden winning with Hilary states + MI + PA + WI). But, I would be disappointed. There are so many good opportunities in this Senate class (there's a reason Democrats were able to gain 8 in 2008), a net gain of just three isn't at all the best Democrats could achieve.

Just like the Republicans learned in trying to repeal Obamacare, a narrow Senate majority can really throw a wrench in passing your agenda. I doubt Biden has (or will create) personal animosity with any Democratic Senator on the level John McCain had with Trump. But, 50/51 vs. 53/54 seats could easily be the difference between immigration reform, PR & DC statehood, climate change legislation, etc.

In actually answering the question of this thread, with how much low hanging fruit there is (Colorado, Maine, Arizona), I'd consider at least 52 seats (net gain of 5) a "good" result. But any majority would be a positive outcome.
redjohn
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -4.17

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2020, 08:05:42 PM »

I'll take any Senate majority, but a 52-48 Senate would make me extremely happy.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies