COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:14:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 534973 times)
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« on: August 23, 2020, 06:37:37 PM »
« edited: August 23, 2020, 07:03:01 PM by Monstro »

Any thoughts on the "big announcement" regarding convalescent plasma?

I'm not seeing much coverage on this. CNN has been covering the Steve Bannon arrest, MSNBC isn't talking about it, FOX is talking about the COVID relief stalemate & the RNC, LA Times has a small headline below ones about the NBA Playoffs & Biden/Harris, NY Times & Washington Post have small headlines below larger ones for the RNC & it's not gaining tons of traction on my Twitter feed.

I'm mainly asking due to how some folks here (Really 1 or 2) were claiming last night this announcement would be "big"
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 07:06:48 PM »

Anyway, I fully expect Trump will oversell it, in which case it politically bites him in the ass. Politically, he'd have been better off if the announcement had waited until October so there would be no time for his exaggerations to be exposed.

Or hell, announce it for the convention when more eyes would be on it and he'd claim he's "showing leadership regarding COVID"
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 07:16:01 PM »

Anybody else who’s young fine with waiting on getting a J&J? I might be able to get one of the others starting next and if I get offered on, I’ll definitely take it but I don’t need the efficacy of the others and the one shot and done sounds much better.

Honestly, I'm more looking forward to getting the J&J vaccine. I may be a bit on the heavy side, but I just want the most basic protection at the moment. I'll wait until later in the year when supply is (hopefully) stronger to get the Pfizer/Moderna one.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 05:10:56 PM »
« Edited: February 22, 2021, 05:14:12 PM by Monstro Believed in a Blue Georgia (and a Blue Texas) »

I've always wanted schools to reopen, but only if/when a vaccine was available and distributed to any school employee/teacher that wants it.

That was my stance a year ago and that's my stance now. If folks are so eager for schools to reopen, give those "essential workers" the damn vaccine.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 05:48:46 PM »

I'm waiting for Facebook to demand the entire state of Ohio gets shut down because there were 1 or 2 kids in that video without masks.

We get it, you're annoyed by masks. Give it a rest already
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 06:48:56 AM »

Almost like clockwork for the 24hrs after my shot, my arm stopped hurting. I had a bit of sore throat last night but I’m not sure if it was allergies or a reaction to the vaccine.

Was that your second shot?

I got Moderna.  My first shot was no big deal, just some arm pain.  The second shot...at about 12 hours later, I got a fever, really bad chills, and body aches.  I also could NOT sleep that night.  The next day, just the body aches remained.  The third day was just a slight headache until around lunchtime and then I felt normal again.

Small price to pay for having some protection.

Similar experience with Moderna. First shot, my arm was super itchy. Second shot gave me the same fever/chills/body aches thingy. Second day I had a headache and body aches, third day I had a slight ache in my back and that was it.

Same thing with me and the J&J vaccine. Got it around noon Friday and by 8 PM, I felt very lethargic, achy & hot (no fever though). Was sweating a lot before & after sleep. Saturday was pretty much a headache & aches, but well enough to go for a walk. Outside of nagging soreness around the injection spot, I felt great on Sunday.

I'm glad I got it, but I feel really bad for my girlfriend. Shes been the most anxious about COVID amongst our friends, but she's likely to be among the last group to be eligble (Everyone else we know are either caregivers, teachers, hospital workers or food workers). Even more annoying because we've been taking lockdown seriously and everyone we know who've already gotten vaccines have been partying & eating indoors every week since March.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2021, 04:50:47 AM »

I am seeing a lot of left wing attacks on the Johnson and Johnson vaccine.....

that is not the messaging we need

Don't worry about it.....
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2021, 03:48:20 AM »

3/17 (Today): <W>
  • Cases: 30,294,798 (+62,794 [+103,943] | ΔW Change: ↑3.59% | Σ Increase: ↑0.34%)
  • Deaths: 550,649 (+1,396 | ΔW Change: ↓13.67% | Σ Increase: ↑0.25%)

GO CRAZY!!!!!!!!
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2021, 10:54:28 PM »

3/18 (Today): <Þ>
  • Cases: 30,358,880 (+62,629 [+64,082] | ΔW Change: ↓1.80% | Σ Increase: ↑0.21%)
  • Deaths: 552,470 (+1,705 [+1,821] | ΔW Change: ↑11.44% | Σ Increase: ↑0.33%)

Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2021, 05:40:00 AM »
« Edited: March 24, 2021, 05:44:07 AM by Monstro Believed in a Blue Georgia (and a Blue Texas) »

Re: School Reopenings

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-03-22/less-than-30-of-students-ready-to-return-to-lausd-campuses-survey-shows
LA Times: Less than a third of students ready to return to LAUSD campuses

Parents of fewer than 1 in 3 students said they are ready to send their children back to Los Angeles school district campuses, a reluctance fueled by lingering health concerns as well as confusion and dissatisfaction with the in-person academic program being offered.

To build up family trust, L.A. Unified School District officials have been holding online “town halls,” while principals are meeting with parents. And on Monday, Supt. Austin Beutner announced that, starting April 5, adult family members will be offered vaccines at Lincoln High School on the Eastside and Washington Preparatory High School in South Los Angeles.

Beutner also set the week of April 12 for elementary school reopenings, starting with 60 campuses, with hundreds of others to follow the next week.

The low projected numbers of those returning are based on the results of a district survey — which has been extended beyond the original March 19 deadline. As of Monday afternoon, about 62% of families had responded. Families who don’t respond will have their children assigned to remain in distance learning for the rest of the academic year.

Of those families who submitted a survey, fewer than half opted for a return to campus. When those who are returning are juxtaposed against the total enrollment of 465,000 students in kindergarten through 12th grade, the numbers are stark: 33% of elementary school students would return, 21% of middle schoolers would and 14% of high schoolers would.

Parents in the more affluent Westside L.A. are about twice as likely to return their children to an elementary school campus as those in low-income MacArthur Park, South Los Angeles, Panorama City or Koreatown. The COVID-19 death rate is almost five times as high in MacArthur Park as in West L.A., while the vaccination rate is half as much, according to data provided by L.A. Unified.

[...]

So you'll have a "lost generation" of poor, mostly non-white kids who were already in a disadvantageous position against their white wealthy libs counter-parts, but whose parents are choosing not to send them to school over public health concerns.

But these draconian requirements were necessary, r-r-r-ight? Well...perhaps according to those poor, mostly non-white parents.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2021, 02:26:01 PM »

It feels like every other day we get loud calls to change the thread name, yet they never get answered. It's been like this for months now.

What's the hold-up?
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2021, 03:55:11 AM »

3/23: <T>
  • Cases: 30,636,534 (+59,572 | ΔW Change: ↑16.17% | Σ Increase: ↑0.19%)
  • Deaths: 556,883 (+938 | ΔW Change: ↓17.28% | Σ Increase: ↑0.17%)

3/24: <W>
  • Cases: 30,704,292 (+67,758 | ΔW Change: ↑7.91% | Σ Increase: ↑0.22%)
  • Deaths: 558,422 (+1,405 [+1,539] | ΔW Change: ↑0.64% | Σ Increase: ↑0.28%)

3/25 (Yesterday): <Þ>
  • Cases: 30,774,033 (+67,046 [+69,741] | ΔW Change: ↑7.05% | Σ Increase: ↑0.23%)
  • Deaths: 559,744 (+1,165 [+1,322] | ΔW Change: ↓31.67% | Σ Increase: ↑0.24%)

3/26 (Today): <F>
  • Cases: 30,853,032 (+78,999 | ΔW Change: ↑19.09% | Σ Increase: ↑0.26%)
  • Deaths: 561,142 (+1,398 | ΔW Change: ↑10.69% | Σ Increase: ↑0.25%)

Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2021, 03:00:49 PM »

She really shouldn't act so shocked
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2021, 01:14:43 AM »

We need to stop with the shutdown talk.  

The vulnerable population has had ample opportunity to get vaccinated at this point.  Why would you punish those who have done the responsible thing and gotten vaccinated and who should now be able to behave normally with almost no risk because a bunch of crazy people refuse to believe in science?  

Compulsory vaccination would be much less harmful than shutdowns and no one seems to be even willing to consider it.

Problem is it seems that people on the online left do not ever want to return to normal. They want people to live locked down indefinitely.  If they want to live like that forever it is their choice. The general population should not be forced to live that way.

I am also disturbed about the movement for permanent online schooling.

The online left says a lot of things (Whoever the "online left" are)
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2021, 01:39:14 PM »

Fauci’s guidance, however, is also irresponsible, and I would expect more from him and the CDC.

If we want people to be vaccinated, we need to remove the recommended restrictions for vaccinated people.  The refusal to do so really does make it -appear- like public health officials have little confidence in the vaccines, despite all the evidence that they are stupendously effective.

He's playing it safe. He also knows the way many people in this country have been acting.

The CDC has already said it's fine for people that are vaccinated to congregate with others that are also vaccinated. I don't see the issue there. As for in public, everyone has to abide by the same regulations or the whole system breaks down. Wearing a mask and staying socially distant while at the grocery store is one of the easiest things you can do. If you're arguing for exemptions for those that are vaccinated, how exactly do you keep track of that? There's already a mass hysteria on the right over things like vaccine passports (because it's apparently necessary to keep a COVID vaccine top secret?).

I agree, it is very easy to do. Yet we've got folks in here practically saying "f*** the masks, I don't have to wear them anymore if I'm vaccinated".
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2021, 07:32:28 PM »
« Edited: April 14, 2021, 07:35:36 PM by Monstro Believes DeSantis is more Overrated than Haley »

Fauci’s guidance, however, is also irresponsible, and I would expect more from him and the CDC.

If we want people to be vaccinated, we need to remove the recommended restrictions for vaccinated people.  The refusal to do so really does make it -appear- like public health officials have little confidence in the vaccines, despite all the evidence that they are stupendously effective.

He's playing it safe. He also knows the way many people in this country have been acting.

The CDC has already said it's fine for people that are vaccinated to congregate with others that are also vaccinated. I don't see the issue there. As for in public, everyone has to abide by the same regulations or the whole system breaks down. Wearing a mask and staying socially distant while at the grocery store is one of the easiest things you can do. If you're arguing for exemptions for those that are vaccinated, how exactly do you keep track of that? There's already a mass hysteria on the right over things like vaccine passports (because it's apparently necessary to keep a COVID vaccine top secret?).

I agree, it is very easy to do. Yet we've got folks in here practically saying "f*** the masks, I don't have to wear them anymore if I'm vaccinated".

Wearing a mask is generally only an inconvenience, but we still can't go to concerts or sporting events or pools or even many restaurants.  Why shouldn't these things be able to open up for vaccinated customers?

You're sidestepping my post.

So now the goal posts have been moved to demanding vaccines with 100% efficacy and zero side effects?

So now it seems Johnson and Johnson will be permanently pulled off the market. What is next? Pulling Pfizer and Moderna off the market as they aren't 100% efficacy??

And you really need to chill out and relax. Perhaps take a walk or a break?
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2021, 05:03:40 PM »

All this talk about a new surge would be easier to follow if states would report how many new cases were from vaccinated individuals (As well as their age)
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2021, 03:04:51 AM »
« Edited: April 16, 2021, 03:11:20 AM by Monstro Believes DeSantis is more Overrated than Haley »

May I ask an honest question to the online left here ?

Almost everything is open in the United States. What is your end goal for the pandemic? At what point would you feel comfortable leaving your houses, at what point will you not shame people for leaving their houses? At what point will you be comfortable with kids in school?

As soon as I get the OK from my online left local office, I'll let you know.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2021, 02:19:49 PM »

So you're saying the mask mandate should become permanent?

Unfortunately there is a subsection of the left that really does seem to want this.

Run for your lives! It's the Online Left®!!!    Terrified
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2021, 02:16:49 PM »
« Edited: April 19, 2021, 05:23:40 PM by Monstro Believes DeSantis is more Overrated than Haley »

I have not heard anyone call for permanent masking. I keep seeing in this thread that people for calling for this, but I haven't otherwise heard of that. What even would be the reason for it?

It's just some extremely online folks panicking over a slightly larger group of extremely online folks, causing the smaller group of extremely online folks to declare it a "disturbingly growing stance" (Even though we've been told for years on this board that "Twitter isn't real life").

Because if you look hard enough, you can find anyone online promoting any position/issue you can think of. Especially the ones that keep you up at night.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2021, 02:25:41 PM »

By the way, any developments on this surge? I don't know if it's cause I'm from California where we seem to be avoiding one at the present time, I haven't heard anything about it in like a week.

What are the new surge cases anyway? Young people going out to patronize/party that haven't been vaccinated yet? If so, I thought that was one of the agreed-upon trade-offs in getting seniors vaccinated first.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2021, 04:18:41 PM »

Just gonna repost this:

Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2021, 02:20:08 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2021, 02:37:52 PM by Monstro Believes DeSantis is more Overrated than Haley »

I just can't get over how much of an inconvenience people think wearing a mask is. Maybe I've just become used to it, but I'd still rather be safe than sorry, even when I get fully vaccinated. We especially don't know how things are going to pan out with new strains popping up everywhere. It appears that even a first dose is enough to stave them off for now, but this virus is unlike anything the medical communtiy has ever encountered before, but I have no qualms with still wearing a mask, and really nobody should. To me, it's also a matter of mutual respect to those who aren't vaccinated yet. To me blatantly not wanting to wear a mask because I'm immune comes off like "na na na na na I'm immune and you're not!"

Doesn't matter. Folks wanna think of themselves as a high & mighty superhero for not wearing a piece of cloth on their face for another month or two.

Anyway, I honestly don't care that much. I only wear a mask anymore whenever I'm around other people or with folks whom I don't know are fully vaccinated. It's not like the maskless have their vaccine cards taped to their shirts and it's been a little hard throughout this pandemic to trust people (This is when those evil "vaccine passports" may come in handy).

I have a road trip planned this August + some concerts, so I'm hopeful that the vaccine rate will be high enough in the next 3 months to where I can go without a mask. Nonetheless, I'm just a woke urban liberal who actually wants masks to be written permanently because the Online Left said so
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2021, 02:36:51 PM »

Anyway, how's that surge looking?
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2021, 02:51:04 AM »

^
Was already addressed a week ago (And many more times prior):

There’s no need to close this thread altogether (we don’t need a new one really) or rename it (title is creative and technically accurate). Stop requesting such.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies