COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 08:37:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 425 426 427 428 429 [430] 431 432 433 434 435 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 546247 times)
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10725 on: April 20, 2022, 03:47:52 PM »

At this point I fear someone will actually assault me because I wear a mask. A lot of posters here would support it as well. I fear this more than any other crime at this point. In fact I have been verbally harassed (well one was more just a passing insult like the tweet above) twice for wearing a mask, one of the guys followed me and kept shouting for a while. Tbf he (and the other incident) was crazy and likely some guy on drugs but still it’s clear there is a war against those who chose to wear a mask, and just know Atlas supports it in full silently. I guarantee you in a few months, the forum will be debating whether or not it’s moral to punch people with masks because they “haven’t moved on”. Already we are seeing posters call for masks to be illegal and talking about how a personal choice makes them want to start punching things. It’s not safe here anymore.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10726 on: April 20, 2022, 04:47:49 PM »

If somebody is following you and yelling at you, you would be completely justified in calling the police.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10727 on: April 20, 2022, 05:29:53 PM »

DOJ appeals federal ruling on transportation mask mandate

The Justice Department on Wednesday appealed a ruling by a federal judge that struck down the mask mandate for mass transportation, following a recommendation by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"It is CDC's continuing assessment that at this time an order requiring masking in the indoor transportation corridor remains necessary for the public health," the CDC said in a statement. "CDC will continue to monitor public health conditions to determine whether such an order remains necessary. CDC believes this is a lawful order, well within CDC's legal authority to protect public health."

Earlier Wednesday, White House press secretary Jen Psaki said Americans have a "choice" as to whether they will wear a mask on an airplane following a court ruling banning the federal mask mandate on planes, trains and other public transportation.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/20/politics/white-house-masks-on-planes/index.html
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10728 on: April 21, 2022, 02:34:32 AM »

It's mind-blowing that the Democrats embraced "zero Covid", when it was obvious it wouldn't work.

"I don't like a thing so I'll apply a completely incorrect word to it because I'm too lazy to make a valid argument"

If you're virally averse enough to still mask up, how are you careless enough to not buy a proper mask that will actually defend against the disease you're ostensibly so afraid of.

Honestly this has to be one of the most blindly stupid habits I've seen (along with driving with one on), and really does seem to support that some amount of the population is still masking purely as a partisan statement.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10729 on: April 21, 2022, 03:04:04 AM »

Jimmie was that you?

No, im not that type of person lol
Omega21

« Reply #10730 on: April 21, 2022, 03:16:18 PM »

At this point I fear someone will actually assault me because I wear a mask. A lot of posters here would support it as well. I fear this more than any other crime at this point. In fact I have been verbally harassed (well one was more just a passing insult like the tweet above) twice for wearing a mask, one of the guys followed me and kept shouting for a while. Tbf he (and the other incident) was crazy and likely some guy on drugs but still it’s clear there is a war against those who chose to wear a mask, and just know Atlas supports it in full silently. I guarantee you in a few months, the forum will be debating whether or not it’s moral to punch people with masks because they “haven’t moved on”. Already we are seeing posters call for masks to be illegal and talking about how a personal choice makes them want to start punching things. It’s not safe here anymore.

Kind of personal, but is there a particular reason why you are still wearing one, if you dont mind me asking?
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10731 on: April 21, 2022, 03:51:25 PM »

Kind of personal, but is there a particular reason why you are still wearing one, if you dont mind me asking?

1. Deaths per day are still not down to the point I won’t wear one at all, although I don’t feel the need to wear one outside (usually I do because it’s habitual and I am too lazy to remember to take it on/off but that might change if weather heats up) I do think it’s the right thing to do still.
2. Because I can
3. Our college mandates it (which I am against)
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10732 on: April 21, 2022, 04:20:37 PM »

I read that 40% of people dying of COVID are now fully vaccinated. Thanks to the anti-vaxxers, our vaccines no longer work. **** this country.

And where did you read that exactly?
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10733 on: April 21, 2022, 04:25:43 PM »

I read that 40% of people dying of COVID are now fully vaccinated. Thanks to the anti-vaxxers, our vaccines no longer work. **** this country.
POV: You don’t understand statistics.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #10734 on: April 21, 2022, 08:58:05 PM »

Please link to where you read this.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #10735 on: April 21, 2022, 09:45:11 PM »

Philadelphia is ending its dumb mask mandate already.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10736 on: April 22, 2022, 01:12:54 AM »

There's literally no data that exists since February so I'm reporting this for misinformation and trolling.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #10737 on: April 22, 2022, 10:02:47 AM »

One interesting change I've been seeing in the last week as mask mandates get repealed is the suggestion that masking is a necessary safeguard for immunocompromised/disabled people.

I'm not really sure what to make of it. On the one hand it is genuinely sad that for a lot of people in the US the threat of COVID-19 is still very present and grave. On the other the fatigue from the pandemic is extremely real and we all feel it (I know I do) and I do unfortunately find wearing a mask a kind of reminder that the pandemic has happened.

The obvious solution is just to let the immunocompromised wear masks, but even then there are cases were people just abuse those wearing masks in public which is just cruel.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10738 on: April 22, 2022, 10:04:20 AM »

One interesting change I've been seeing in the last week as mask mandates get repealed is the suggestion that masking is a necessary safeguard for immunocompromised/disabled people.

I'm not really sure what to make of it. On the one hand it is genuinely sad that for a lot of people in the US the threat of COVID-19 is still very present and grave. On the other the fatigue from the pandemic is extremely real and we all feel it (I know I do) and I do unfortunately find wearing a mask a kind of reminder that the pandemic has happened.

The obvious solution is just to let the immunocompromised wear masks, but even then there are cases were people just abuse those wearing masks in public which is just cruel.

One of my best friends is immunocompromised and he absolutely hates that argument. Says he doesn't need society to change forever for him. He wears a mask in high risk places and keeps it pushing.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #10739 on: April 22, 2022, 10:05:36 AM »

Clearly, Covid is an Endemic And electing Rs that give Massive tax cuts to the rich isn't gonna solve COVID the Trump CDC was the one that   implemented a mask
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10740 on: April 22, 2022, 11:49:04 AM »

One of my best friends is immunocompromised and he absolutely hates that argument. Says he doesn't need society to change forever for him. He wears a mask in high risk places and keeps it pushing.

Yep I've been arguing with some people who are attacking the Biden administration for not going harder against this ruling.  They basically just use immunocompromised people as a weapon by belittling and babying them and denying them all agency.  It's a common experience for marginalized groups, being denied any agency and reduced to your most pathetic caricature so some political hacks can use you as a weapon to advance their own agenda.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #10741 on: April 22, 2022, 11:54:39 AM »

Real life > fake polls
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10742 on: April 22, 2022, 03:29:57 PM »

one of the guys followed me and kept shouting for a while. Tbf he (and the other incident) was crazy and likely some guy on drugs but still it’s clear there is a war against those who chose to wear a mask, and just know Atlas supports it in full silently.

a crackhead yelled at me [normal, crackhead]. from this encounter it is clear there is a war on against me personally, and everyone here supports it
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10743 on: April 22, 2022, 03:39:31 PM »

one of the guys followed me and kept shouting for a while. Tbf he (and the other incident) was crazy and likely some guy on drugs but still it’s clear there is a war against those who chose to wear a mask, and just know Atlas supports it in full silently.

a crackhead yelled at me [normal, crackhead]. from this encounter it is clear there is a war on against me personally, and everyone here supports it
🙄, I don’t think either of these two specific instances are exactly much more than crazies being crazy, but the fact they both were specifically railing about my mask instead of the usual nonsense shows there is some feeling there. That combined with people calling for masks to be literally banned and a literal “ooohhh I understand where he’s coming from” with regards to the guy screaming at some guy to take the mask off. It’s especially concerning because while I can be fine without a mask, some can’t, what will happen to them? Will you meme about it then? Oh who am I kidding of course you of all people would.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #10744 on: April 22, 2022, 04:01:32 PM »

We are now certainly at a point in which Covid can no longer be credibly compared with the flu. Because Covid is something that people actually bother to get vaxxed against.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #10745 on: April 22, 2022, 09:37:10 PM »

This country is in such an abject condition that being on the receiving end of deranged schizophrenic rants from street-dwelling drug addicts is widely accepted as an unavoidable fact of life. It doesn't have to be this way.

Do you think that this sort of thing is a recent development?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10746 on: April 23, 2022, 12:39:44 AM »

This country is in such an abject condition that being on the receiving end of deranged schizophrenic rants from street-dwelling drug addicts is widely accepted as an unavoidable fact of life. It doesn't have to be this way.

If we don't remember to vote Democratic, we'll end up having deranged schizophrenic rants from White House-dwelling madmen instead.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10747 on: April 23, 2022, 01:42:57 AM »

^ 2 year anniversary of that
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #10748 on: April 24, 2022, 08:38:15 AM »

COVID is endemic at this point, so we need to go back to 2019, in terms of public health measures, and no quarantining for asymptomatic, vaccinated individuals
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10749 on: April 24, 2022, 11:03:47 AM »

COVID is endemic at this point, so we need to go back to 2019, in terms of public health measures, and no quarantining for asymptomatic, vaccinated individuals

Agreed. This thread should also be unstickied imo.
Pages: 1 ... 425 426 427 428 429 [430] 431 432 433 434 435 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies