COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 05:21:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 419 420 421 422 423 [424] 425 426 427 428 429 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 556056 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10575 on: March 25, 2022, 12:49:18 AM »

COVID-19 rates plunge as decision nears on US asylum limits

COVID-19 rates are plunging among migrants crossing the border from Mexico as the Biden administration faces a Tuesday deadline to end or extend sweeping restrictions on asylum that are aimed at limiting the virus' spread. Lower rates raise more questions about scientific grounds for a public health order that has caused migrants to be expelled from the United States more than 1.7 million times since March 2020 without a chance to request asylum.

While there is no aggregate rate for migrants, test results from several major corridors for illegal border crossings suggest it is well below levels that have triggered concerns among U.S. officials.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10576 on: March 25, 2022, 06:51:43 AM »

I find masks acceptable to wear around Halloween outside. Not otherwise.

I wear a mask indoors because I have severe anxiety and my mother has respiratory issues so I don't want to risk taking the virus home, do you find that unacceptable?

No, there can be valid reasoning to wearing masks indoors but I doubt the effectiveness of cloth masks against newer variants.
Most people I see don’t even use the right types of mask and instead triple or quadruple up ineffective surgical masks. Why don’t the people who want to mask up wear N95s instead? I am thinking the must be masking at this stage of the game as a way to virtue signal or do a form of hygiene theater.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10577 on: March 25, 2022, 12:51:45 PM »
« Edited: March 25, 2022, 01:02:51 PM by STAND WITH UKRAINE »

I wear a mask outside because I want to. I am not forcing anyone else to. The fact that even a mod thinks an assault against someone who like wants to make a personal choice to reduce his own exposure shows how blantatly slanted and insane this forum has become.

That was possibly me, I live in DC and I do wear a mask outside. So what? It’s my f**king right. But I see this forum wants people like me assaulted for their own sick gratification.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #10578 on: March 25, 2022, 12:55:22 PM »

I wear a mask indoors because I have severe anxiety and my mother has respiratory issues so I don't want to risk taking the virus home, do you find that unacceptable?

No, there can be valid reasoning to wearing masks indoors but I doubt the effectiveness of cloth masks against newer variants.
Most people I see don’t even use the right types of mask and instead triple or quadruple up ineffective surgical masks. Why don’t the people who want to mask up wear N95s instead? I am thinking the must be masking at this stage of the game as a way to virtue signal or do a form of hygiene theater.

At my job, I've noticed that of the ~10% or so who are still masking up, many of them are wearing surgical or cloth masks. Given that we know cloth masks in particular are less effective than surgical and N95 masks, as you note, I don't know why they continue to do so. It is self-defeating in a way. I haven't seen that many double maskers in a while, though. Moreover, over the past week or so, at least three employees who were still holding out and masking up have stopped doing so. One of them told me that he was waiting to get his booster shot, and now that he has, he has stopped. There are still a half-dozen other holdouts, however.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10579 on: March 25, 2022, 01:34:52 PM »

As for people doubling up cloth masks, I assume that's mostly out of genuine concern rather than to show off. It's not as good as N95, but it's also better than nothing. So it's not entirely illogical. I think the risks of Covid are significantly reduced at this point, from even a month or 2 ago, but some people may have conditions or a family member with a condition that puts them at higher risk. So I'm not surprised there are still a subset of people wearing masks voluntarily. At my work, I've only noticed 1 person wearing a mask now FWIW.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10580 on: March 25, 2022, 04:36:51 PM »

STAND WITH UKRAINE, I agree with you should be able to wear your mask and people should leave you alone about it, but calm down man.
I am calmer now, but I won’t remove or apologize for my posts. They were made in a bit of anger yes, but I do stand by the sentiments I shared. I still do think that those who think like Jimmie present a serious threat to American society and I do genuinely have serious hate for certain posters here. It’s sad but I can’t love my neighbor when my neighbor wants to hurt me and my family. I have some serious religious introspection to do.
I am afraid of people who still wear masks outside, which at this point post-pandemic is a strong indicator of mental illness. If you're still wearing a KYZN987X mask outdoors, now that COVID is over, who knows what other kind of sicko behavior you're capable of? Those are the people who are deranged, who are insane, who are likely a threat to people around them and "American society," not the normal people who are just living normal lives.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10581 on: March 25, 2022, 04:46:48 PM »

It's not a sign of mental illness, that's absurd.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10582 on: March 25, 2022, 05:13:35 PM »

I just do not see the use of masking outside.

Allergies are still a thing and it's not uncommon in spring and summer (even before covid) to see people wearing surgical masks while on riding mowers.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10583 on: March 25, 2022, 08:51:27 PM »

I just do not see the use of masking outside.

Allergies are still a thing and it's not uncommon in spring and summer (even before covid) to see people wearing surgical masks while on riding mowers.

I was using a N95 mask for yardwork and woodworking long before Covid-19. They work fantastically.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10584 on: March 26, 2022, 04:17:55 AM »

Until Congress provides the needed funding, they are going to be the only ones able to get it:

White House to announce second COVID-19 booster for older Americans: report
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #10585 on: March 26, 2022, 08:31:51 AM »
« Edited: March 26, 2022, 10:11:43 AM by YE »

Masks aren’t even that effective to begin with unless you’re already sick. The virus is mild now and transmission is relatively low (although likely to oscillate over the next several months) anyway. Masking is mostly a false sense of security at this point yet a few people here and in other places I know online continue to do it because they’ve become germaphobes thanks to the Democrats fear mongering (even if it was justified pre-vaccine) of the virus. They should be allowed to do it yes but I should also be allowed to think it’s dumb.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #10586 on: March 26, 2022, 10:24:32 AM »

Masks aren’t even that effective to begin with unless you’re already sick. The virus is mild now and transmission is relatively low (although likely to oscillate over the next several months) anyway. Masking is mostly a false sense of security at this point yet a few people here and in other places I know online continue to do it because they’ve become germaphobes thanks to the Democrats fear mongering (even if it was justified pre-vaccine) of the virus. They should be allowed to do it yes but I should also be allowed to think it’s dumb.

I mentioned above that there is one coworker at my job who stopped wearing a mask this week, after having held out for a month. He told me that he was waiting to get his booster shot, and now that he has it, he's done. At least he had a relatively good reason. But I had another coworker who went maskless for a few days, after having held out, because she said that the mask was uncomfortable.

But she went right back to masking after that, and I don't know when she is going to stop. And there is yet another coworker-an older lady-who is still masking up, but with a cloth mask that she doesn't even fit on properly. There is one more coworker who is still wearing an N95 mask, although none of the other people in her department are still masking up. Everyone has their preferences, but I don't always understand them.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #10587 on: March 26, 2022, 12:23:33 PM »

At my job, I've noticed that of the ~10% or so who are still masking up, many of them are wearing surgical or cloth masks. Given that we know cloth masks in particular are less effective than surgical and N95 masks, as you note, I don't know why they continue to do so. It is self-defeating in a way. I haven't seen that many double maskers in a while, though. Moreover, over the past week or so, at least three employees who were still holding out and masking up have stopped doing so. One of them told me that he was waiting to get his booster shot, and now that he has, he has stopped. There are still a half-dozen other holdouts, however.
Only three people at my job still mask up, though one only masks up when customers are around. All three are vaxxed and boosted as well, but prefer to mask up to play it safe. I still see around 10 customers per day who wear multiple masks and around 50 who still mask up overall.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10588 on: March 26, 2022, 08:38:36 PM »

We can not exactly expect people to all wear kn95 masks. It is not realistic nor practical and imagine the intense culture wars if that is what was required!

My policy is simple:

1) Wear a mask if you choose to and have a history of respiratory problems. Especially in winter.. especially in crowded places.. and if you choose to.

2) Get a booster each fall. None of this stupid.. every 6 months geta booster.. that may be counter productive if anything.

I know life is 95% of normal but governmental agencies need to operate as they did prior to the pandemic and we must stop trying to protect children and college aged individuals from covid. You know, the people least likely to face fatalities from COVID.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10589 on: March 27, 2022, 12:11:35 AM »

https://news.delta.com/sites/default/files/2022-03/a4a_board_letter_to_president_biden.pdf

Several airline CEOs call for the mask mandate to be repealed. Do this and watch the number of angry passengers drop like a stone. It really is that simple.

Incidents of violent, unruly passengers was sharply rising well before covid, and there's no turning back that trend. Doubtful this would have any impact, these same people will find some other reason to pick fights on planes.

I think that the mask requirement does have some marginal affects in terms of unruly passengers, but I suspect that the main cause is the general increase of "unruly" behavior since early 2021 caused by various factors (covid closures, the ever increasing prevalence of social media, a generally more transient job market). I feel like drivers post covid are like 5 times more aggressive than pre covid (not to mention the increases in crime), and this general trend most definitely extends to airplane passengers regardless of mask requirements.

I've long been of the belief that the coronavirus pandemic has further exacerbated the mental health challenges which so many people face, and this is going to be one of the longest lasting consequences of the pandemic.

I suspect having the national government run by gaslighting, compulsively lying madman for four years would have done that with or without a pandemic.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #10590 on: March 27, 2022, 12:14:24 AM »

https://news.delta.com/sites/default/files/2022-03/a4a_board_letter_to_president_biden.pdf

Several airline CEOs call for the mask mandate to be repealed. Do this and watch the number of angry passengers drop like a stone. It really is that simple.

Incidents of violent, unruly passengers was sharply rising well before covid, and there's no turning back that trend. Doubtful this would have any impact, these same people will find some other reason to pick fights on planes.

I think that the mask requirement does have some marginal affects in terms of unruly passengers, but I suspect that the main cause is the general increase of "unruly" behavior since early 2021 caused by various factors (covid closures, the ever increasing prevalence of social media, a generally more transient job market). I feel like drivers post covid are like 5 times more aggressive than pre covid (not to mention the increases in crime), and this general trend most definitely extends to airplane passengers regardless of mask requirements.

I've long been of the belief that the coronavirus pandemic has further exacerbated the mental health challenges which so many people face, and this is going to be one of the longest lasting consequences of the pandemic.

I suspect having the national government run by gaslighting, compulsively lying madman for four years would have done that with or without a pandemic.

In other words, you're implying that people have "gone loony" with conspiracy theories and criminal behavior, and attribute that to Trump. We're certainly not talking about the same kinds of mental health issues here. I'm more so speaking to psychological disorders, stress, and depression among the general populace, particularly among children.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #10591 on: March 27, 2022, 01:58:01 PM »

When do you guys think the TSA mandate will expire? I think they'll let it expire next month, but I said that before they extended it this month
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #10592 on: March 27, 2022, 02:27:08 PM »

When do you guys think the TSA mandate will expire?

April 18. Everyone wants it gone.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #10593 on: March 27, 2022, 03:21:44 PM »

Probably April 18th, coupled with an ending of the requirement for Americans to get tested before returning to the US.  The CEOs of every airline sent Biden a letter demanding both (the latter reduces demand for international travel due to the uncertainty it would cause).

It wouldn't totally stun me if it is canceled before April 18th, but I'll say that it is announced before then but not allowed to go into effect until 4/18.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10594 on: March 28, 2022, 04:27:42 PM »

https://www.popdust.com/online-leftist-language-2650803862.html

Much of covid-discourse online had this problem.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10595 on: March 28, 2022, 05:47:07 PM »

My county has logged no new cases since March 14.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10596 on: March 28, 2022, 06:49:03 PM »

Can’t find it anymore but something from the NYT about 52% of Americans say they have had COVID. 57% of Republicans, 38% of Democrats.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #10597 on: March 28, 2022, 08:02:09 PM »

Everyone wants the TSA gone too while we’re at it.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #10598 on: March 28, 2022, 08:57:43 PM »

Everyone wants the TSA gone too while we’re at it.

This I can agree with; we would be much better off with about 90% less airport security.
Asta

« Reply #10599 on: March 29, 2022, 10:49:26 AM »

I mentioned above that there is one coworker at my job who stopped wearing a mask this week, after having held out for a month. He told me that he was waiting to get his booster shot, and now that he has it, he's done. At least he had a relatively good reason. But I had another coworker who went maskless for a few days, after having held out, because she said that the mask was uncomfortable.

But she went right back to masking after that, and I don't know when she is going to stop. And there is yet another coworker-an older lady-who is still masking up, but with a cloth mask that she doesn't even fit on properly. There is one more coworker who is still wearing an N95 mask, although none of the other people in her department are still masking up. Everyone has their preferences, but I don't always understand them.

Among the people in my area that still wear masks even outside, a big number of them tends to be East Asian immigrants who still maintain culturally considerate and collective behavior they brought over from their native land where wearing masks during cold/flu season in pre-covid era was already prevalent. I understand this thread has been inundated with obsessive level as to why the pandemic is not ending, but this behavior is not limited to the US.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41599-022-01057-z

"....... in a survey in Germany among >650 respondents, we find that the majority plans to use face masks in certain situations even after the end of the pandemic. We observe that this willingness is strongly related to the perception that there is something to be learned from East Asians’ handling of pandemics, even when controlling for perceived protection by wearing masks. Given strong empirical evidence that face masks help prevent the spread of respiratory diseases and given the considerable estimated health and economic costs of such diseases even pre-Corona, this would be a very positive side effect of the current crisis."

Why some choose to wear masks is not related to Biden, Fauci or government's fearmongering, as you can see the remnant behavior exists in countries like Germany too.
Certain events can and will change mindsets for the long term. It's the same reason why considerable number of employers have made remote work viable even after the economy has mostly opened up: less need to come to office so frequently when productivity and lifestyle balance can be achieved without having as much contact and commute-related stress.

Even though I mostly avoid wearing masks, I perfectly understand why some continue to wear them. In epidemiology, there are rarely such things as absolutes and guarantees. We should respect that culture, risk aversion and lingering effects of trauma affect everyone differently.
Pages: 1 ... 419 420 421 422 423 [424] 425 426 427 428 429 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies