COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:26:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 408 409 410 411 412 [413] 414 415 416 417 418 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 535181 times)
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10300 on: February 21, 2022, 12:08:07 AM »

the reality is that those recommendations have been treated as akin to law by so many, and they will only change their behaviors if the CDC gives them the "okay" to do so.
Sounds like a bunch of reasonable people that believe in science and scientists.

It's not just science alone. Many of these businesses and institutions are clinging to mask mandates for liability and publicity reasons. They want to guard themselves against lawsuits from employees and students who may become ill, and they want to satisfy customers who are insistent on safety protocols. It's not that they truly care for their employees or their students.
Those customers, employees and lawsuits will not be such a big cause for mandates once the CDC changes their recommendation. So, what's the problem? People want to be safe and the CDC has not quite yet recommended dropping masks.

As I've said before, the vast majority of customers where I work are no longer wearing masks. This is also true for many other businesses. Moreover, many of the employees themselves resent wearing masks, and do not wear them when they are on break or on the clock. They would gladly be free of them if the mandate were to be dropped. Again, it's not fair to employees to be laid under such a mandate, when customers are not subjected to a similar requirement.
Some companies trust the CDC to give good health advice, some don't. You are free to go and work for a company that doesn't listen to the CDC. Also, it isn't the CDC's fault that some states or businesses have failed to listen to their advice. You can either blame your state or other companies for getting rid of masks, OR blame your company for NOT getting rid of masks, but blaming the CDC is illogical.

This is very patronizing on your part, and you are not the first person on here who has told me this. I can't just up and leave my job, and neither can many other people. It's not that easy or as simple as you make it. And what would be the purpose, since so many employers still have these mandates in force? Are you seriously advocating that we keep employees perpetually masked, even if there is no such requirement for the general public? Why should there be such a distinction?
This is literally how the free market works.

You're saying that it's perfectly acceptable for the general public to go about maskless, being served upon or helped by masked employees? What purpose does that achieve?
Preventing liability. This is how the free market works.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10301 on: February 21, 2022, 12:09:17 AM »

Some companies trust the CDC to give good health advice, some don't. You are free to go and work for a company that doesn't listen to the CDC. Also, it isn't the CDC's fault that some states or businesses have failed to listen to their advice. You can either blame your state or other companies for getting rid of masks, OR blame your company for NOT getting rid of masks, but blaming the CDC is illogical.

This is very patronizing on your part, and you are not the first person on here who has told me this. I can't just up and leave my job, and neither can many other people. It's not that easy or as simple as you make it. And what would be the purpose, since so many employers still have these mandates in force? Are you seriously advocating that we keep employees perpetually masked, even if there is no such requirement for the general public? Why should there be such a distinction?

Guess what? My company has absolutely abandoned it's employees during the pandemic in regards to safety. The difference is, I'm complaining about worker safety and you're complaining about being inconvenienced. I can't afford any sympathy for your complaints because they're privileged as compared to the more serious concerns of other workers including myself. I wish I could be complaining about inconvenience instead of safety right now.  That sounds like a great place to be.

What I'm saying is, if it's THAT important for you, there are places out there hiring that don't require you to wear a mask. What I'm advocating for is states, counties and businesses following CDC guidelines. If they choose not to, I think it's unfortunate.

Also, "perpetually" is hyperbolic and has nothing to do with my posts.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #10302 on: February 21, 2022, 12:14:11 AM »

the reality is that those recommendations have been treated as akin to law by so many, and they will only change their behaviors if the CDC gives them the "okay" to do so.
Sounds like a bunch of reasonable people that believe in science and scientists.

It's not just science alone. Many of these businesses and institutions are clinging to mask mandates for liability and publicity reasons. They want to guard themselves against lawsuits from employees and students who may become ill, and they want to satisfy customers who are insistent on safety protocols. It's not that they truly care for their employees or their students.
Those customers, employees and lawsuits will not be such a big cause for mandates once the CDC changes their recommendation. So, what's the problem? People want to be safe and the CDC has not quite yet recommended dropping masks.

As I've said before, the vast majority of customers where I work are no longer wearing masks. This is also true for many other businesses. Moreover, many of the employees themselves resent wearing masks, and do not wear them when they are on break or on the clock. They would gladly be free of them if the mandate were to be dropped. Again, it's not fair to employees to be laid under such a mandate, when customers are not subjected to a similar requirement.

Guess what? My company has absolutely abandoned it's employees during the pandemic in regards to safety. The difference is, I'm complaining about worker safety and you're complaining about being inconvenienced. I can't afford any sympathy for your complaints because they're privileged as compared to the more serious concerns of other workers including myself. I wish I could be complaining about inconvenience instead of safety right now.  That sounds like a great place to be.

What I'm saying is, if it's THAT important for you, there are places out there hiring that don't require you to wear a mask. What I'm advocating for is states, counties and businesses following CDC guidelines. If they choose not to, I think it's unfortunate.

If they followed CDC guidelines, we would be in for a roulette game, with mask mandates and other restrictions coming back on a seasonal basis, or even more frequently. We would not see an end to the situation in which we have been. Society is depressing enough as it is, and I'd rather not see matters become more depressed. As for what you say, I'll emphasize again. Companies do not care about their employees, by and large. They care about their bottom line. That is the primary reason why they've imposed these mandates. And with the situation as it now is, with the ineffectiveness or impracticality of wearing masks, the decline in cases, and the virus becoming endemic, it makes no sense to sustain these mandates. I didn't sign up to spend the rest of my life living like this.

You're saying that it's perfectly acceptable for the general public to go about maskless, being served upon or helped by masked employees? What purpose does that achieve?

So you do support the situation I describe? This would amount to permanent mask mandates.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10303 on: February 21, 2022, 12:33:33 AM »

If they followed CDC guidelines, we would be in for a roulette game, with mask mandates and other restrictions coming back on a seasonal basis, or even more frequently. We would not see an end to the situation in which we have been. Society is depressing enough as it is, and I'd rather not see matters become more depressed. As for what you say, I'll emphasize again. Companies do not care about their employees, by and large. They care about their bottom line. That is the primary reason why they've imposed these mandates. And with the situation as it now is, with the ineffectiveness or impracticality of wearing masks, the decline in cases, and the virus becoming endemic, it makes no sense to sustain these mandates. I didn't sign up to spend the rest of my life living like this.

So you do support the situation I describe? This would amount to permanent mask mandates.
I don’t support it, but it’s just how the system works.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10304 on: February 21, 2022, 12:42:44 AM »

This mask debate just goes around in circles, but I really think it's all going to be moot a week from now when the CDC has updated its guidance.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10305 on: February 21, 2022, 10:41:38 AM »

ANTHONY FAUCI ON SCHOOLS WITHOUT MASKS:

"It's understandable why people want to take masks off the kids. But, right now, given the level of activity that we have, it is risky."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10525469/Fauci-says-taking-masks-kids-school-RISKY-despite-42-drop-cases.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7_dmrP2Q5Q
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10306 on: February 21, 2022, 12:33:59 PM »

All remaining COVID restrictions in England will end on Thursday.

Biden is running out of time to do the right thing.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10307 on: February 21, 2022, 12:37:54 PM »

For most people, if you took a booster shot, you probably don't have to take another until the at least the end of the year, if ever:

Got a Covid Booster? You Probably Won’t Need Another for a Long Time

As people across the world grapple with the prospect of living with the coronavirus for the foreseeable future, one question looms large: How soon before they need yet another shot?

Not for many months, and perhaps not for years, according to a flurry of new studies.

Three doses of a Covid vaccine — or even just two — are enough to protect most people from serious illness and death for a long time, the studies suggest.

“We’re starting to see now diminishing returns on the number of additional doses,” said John Wherry, director of the Institute for immunology at the University of Pennsylvania. Although people over 65 or at high risk of illness may benefit from a fourth vaccine dose, it may be unnecessary for most people, he added.

Federal health officials including Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, the Biden administration’s top Covid adviser, have also said that they are unlikely to recommend a fourth dose before the fall.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10308 on: February 21, 2022, 12:42:44 PM »

For most people, if you took a booster shot, you probably don't have to take another until the at least the end of the year, if ever:

As people across the world grapple with the prospect of living with the coronavirus for the foreseeable future, one question looms large: How soon before they need yet another shot?

Not for many months, and perhaps not for years, according to a flurry of new studies.

Three doses of a Covid vaccine — or even just two — are enough to protect most people from serious illness and death for a long time, the studies suggest.

“We’re starting to see now diminishing returns on the number of additional doses,” said John Wherry, director of the Institute for immunology at the University of Pennsylvania. Although people over 65 or at high risk of illness may benefit from a fourth vaccine dose, it may be unnecessary for most people, he added.

Federal health officials including Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, the Biden administration’s top Covid adviser, have also said that they are unlikely to recommend a fourth dose before the fall.

It has been obvious for some time that the vaccines are incredibly effective and long lasting. Any suggestions to the contrary are either from the anti vax right or forever pandemic left, who at this point are, aside from whether they wear a mask or not, the exact same person.
compucomp

« Reply #10309 on: February 21, 2022, 01:12:04 PM »

The Paterson School District in NJ conducted a survey of parents and staff and found a strong majority in favor of keeping its mask mandate after it becomes optional. Obviously this issue is divided by location and along party lines, just like everything else, but that also means that there is still substantial support for mask mandates, despite what this forum would have us believe.

The Paterson superintendent is calling for face masks to remain required in the state’s fourth-largest school district after the statewide mandate ends March 7.

The decision is up to the Paterson school board, which is scheduled to vote on Superintendent Eileen Shafer’s recommendation five days before Gov. Phil Murphy’s revocation of the mandate takes effect.

More than 60% of parents and district employees surveyed supported keeping the mask requirement, as did the city’s health director, Shafer told the school board Wednesday night.

Shafer is recommending that the board hold off until two weeks after spring break, which concludes April 22, to reconsider lifting the local mask requirement.

It has been obvious for some time that the vaccines are incredibly effective and long lasting. Any suggestions to the contrary are either from the anti vax right or forever pandemic left, who at this point are, aside from whether they wear a mask or not, the exact same person.

Immunity until the end of the year is not long lasting immunity. MMR lasts a lifetime after getting the shots as a child, and DTP lasts 10 years. Also the COVID vaccine is not "incredibly effective" when compared to MMR or DTP which do provide very close to sterilizing immunity. Yes it's better than the flu shot but then COVID is much stronger and contagious than the flu.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10310 on: February 21, 2022, 05:00:51 PM »

This looks interesting

-As expected, a lot of vaccinated Trump voters in retirement areas of Florida and a lot of unvaccinated Biden voters in the cultural South (particularly in Atlanta)

-Less well known is the high concentration of vaccinated Trump voters in Appalachia (!)

-On the other hand, vaccination rates are even lower than would be expected in the Ozarks

-Little or no evidence of an anti-vax granola left effect as NorCal and the Pacific NW have higher vaccination rates than predicted by election results

-Western NM/Eastern AZ are doing really well and look like the Northeast here

-Southside VA looks like the Deep South here and it spills into NE NC

Image Source: https://twitter.com/Mill226/status/1490438915156676610/photo/1
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10311 on: February 21, 2022, 05:09:18 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2022, 05:17:36 PM by Roll Roons »

Something that is probably worth repeating: The majority of the unvaccinated are probably Trump supporters, but the majority of Trump supporters are vaccinated.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #10312 on: February 21, 2022, 05:10:21 PM »

This looks interesting

-As expected, a lot of vaccinated Trump voters in retirement areas of Florida and a lot of unvaccinated Biden voters in the cultural South (particularly in Atlanta)

-Less well known is the high concentration of vaccinated Trump voters in Appalachia (!)

-On the other hand, vaccination rates are even lower than would be expected in the Ozarks

-Little or no evidence of an anti-vax granola left effect as NorCal and the Pacific NW have higher vaccination rates than predicted by election results

-Western NM/Eastern AZ are doing really well and look like the Northeast here

-Southside VA looks like the Deep South here and it spills into NE NC

Image Source: https://twitter.com/Mill226/status/1490438915156676610/photo/1

I think the major factor being exposed by this graph is race, and this is unsurprising given what we know about vaccination rates across demographic groups.  Conditional on party, Black Americans are less likely to be vaccinated than Whites (especially rural Black residents), while Latinos are more likely to be vaccinated.

The high vax rates among Latinos is one of the biggest overlooked stories of the pandemic, and one that Democrats should really be trying to capitalize on.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10313 on: February 21, 2022, 06:01:22 PM »

Week 4 of COVID for myself, still pretty sick and a little shallow breathing, prescribed an antibiotic that could help if I have pneumonia.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10314 on: February 21, 2022, 06:22:03 PM »

Something that is probably worth repeating: The majority of the unvaccinated are probably Trump supporters, but the majority of Trump supporters are vaccinated.

Yes, absolutely.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #10315 on: February 21, 2022, 07:27:14 PM »

Fixed that for you.

And the damage that has been done by your party demonizing science is going to be irreversible with longterm consequences.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10316 on: February 21, 2022, 07:28:34 PM »

Fixed that for you.

And the damage that has been done by your party demonizing science is going to be irreversible with longterm consequences.

Shut the everloving f**k up. I LITERALLY VOTED FOR BIDEN. I GOT VACCINATED ALMOST AS SOON AS IT WAS AVAILABLE TO ME AND I'M BOOSTED. You are a f**king deranged hack and need help. Now.

I really don't feel this way about the majority of Democrats on here. It's only people like you who are completely unable to engage in good faith.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #10317 on: February 21, 2022, 07:31:32 PM »

Fixed that for you.

Shut the everloving f**k up. I LITERALLY VOTED FOR BIDEN. I GOT VACCINATED ALMOST AS SOON AS IT WAS AVAILABLE TO ME AND I'M BOOSTED. You are f**king deranged and need help. Now.

Dude, calm the f down.

I didn't say anything about you personally or how you voted, #1.

And are you denying the impact of science denial perpetrated by Republicans?  I'm not talking about just vaccination. I'm saying that will have longterm consequences in terms of public health. Are you saying that's incorrect?
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10318 on: February 21, 2022, 10:24:35 PM »

Seems in line with the 25-35% of the country that seems to go against whatever's good for society.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #10319 on: February 22, 2022, 08:30:00 AM »

Biden polls are gonna surge since COVID is on the downtrend I told everyone that this was gonna happen all the R users was on Pbower Approvals making fun of Biden 35 percent because of the Omnicron surge where are they at now, COVID has fade

D's already lead on the GCB 42/34 and Prez Approvals don't mean much in a Midterm anyways Trump kept the Senate in 5 percent unemployment with 40/57 Approvals

We are in good position to win the Midterms even with COVID if we don't win the H we will win key Senate and Gov races the Shapiro, Whitmer, Evers, Polis and Grisham, Healey, Perez, and T Sherman will all win
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #10320 on: February 22, 2022, 09:07:35 AM »

Shut the everloving f**k up. I LITERALLY VOTED FOR BIDEN. I GOT VACCINATED ALMOST AS SOON AS IT WAS AVAILABLE TO ME AND I'M BOOSTED. You are a f**king deranged hack and need help. Now.

You seem agitated.

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #10321 on: February 22, 2022, 09:16:27 AM »

You seem agitated.

I have noticed that Rolls Roons has become more partisan or "based", the term which "online" people like to use, in recent months. Putting up with some of the nonsense on this forum can push you in that direction. 
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #10322 on: February 22, 2022, 10:17:58 AM »

This article discusses how the CDC has withheld much of the data concerning the effectiveness of the vaccine and of boosters among 18-49 year olds. This decision has been justified on the fear that such data could be "misinterpreted", in a manner that would cast doubt on vaccine effectiveness and fuel conspiracy theories regarding them. But I also feel that it is an abdication of duty on the agency's part, particularly since many health officials and experts say that their efforts would have been boosted by having access to this data.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10323 on: February 22, 2022, 11:48:31 AM »

You seem agitated.

I have noticed that Rolls Roons has become more partisan or "based", the term which "online" people like to use, in recent months. Putting up with some of the nonsense on this forum can push you in that direction. 
Based isn’t really a synonym for partisan, it can be but it’s used to indicate you strongly agree with something, whether ironically or unironically.

E.g.
“We should invade Austria”
“Dude…based and Anti-Austria pilled”
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #10324 on: February 22, 2022, 11:49:16 AM »

As long as I am not being forced to wear a mask, I will not wear a mask