COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 11:02:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 402 403 404 405 406 [407] 408 409 410 411 412 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 559014 times)
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10150 on: February 15, 2022, 01:55:50 AM »

This country couldn't win World War II today. "Food rationing?? Not being able to get nylons and clothing when I want it?!? We need to remove these restrictions because the soldiers are great and brave enough they don't need ready supplies like that!" Completely pathetic. There, I said it....

I’ve never understood this analogy.  Aren’t the pro-mask, pro-lockdown side the one who aren’t willing to risk their lives to protest the American way of life?  How are you going to be willing to storm the beach at Normandy if you’re not even willing to get a sore throat for a few days?
It's more along the lines of "we as a community are going to have to make sacrifices and life isn't going to be easy, but if we can all do our part (for the war effort / to reduce the spread) then our country can succeed, and we owe it to our fellow countrymen to do our part".

But you can just as easily make the argument that the best way for the “country to succeed” now that everyone has access to vaccines is to hasten the spread.  And thus the people who unwilling to do their part in this by exposing themselves to the virus are the ones being selfish and afraid to make a minor sacrifice to their health to more quickly end the pandemic.
Getting the virus to speed up the spread has never been a good argument.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #10151 on: February 15, 2022, 09:18:14 AM »

There are still three states that haven't moved to lift their mask mandates-Hawaii, New Mexico, and Washington. I'm not sure what is going on in those states, although as I've said before, New Mexico's Governor has had a particularly rigorous coronavirus response and Hawaii has never lifted its mask mandate since first imposing it in the early months of the pandemic.
compucomp

« Reply #10152 on: February 15, 2022, 09:25:50 AM »

This country couldn't win World War II today. "Food rationing?? Not being able to get nylons and clothing when I want it?!? We need to remove these restrictions because the soldiers are great and brave enough they don't need ready supplies like that!" Completely pathetic. There, I said it....

I’ve never understood this analogy.  Aren’t the pro-mask, pro-lockdown side the one who aren’t willing to risk their lives to protest the American way of life?  How are you going to be willing to storm the beach at Normandy if you’re not even willing to get a sore throat for a few days?
It's more along the lines of "we as a community are going to have to make sacrifices and life isn't going to be easy, but if we can all do our part (for the war effort / to reduce the spread) then our country can succeed, and we owe it to our fellow countrymen to do our part".

But you can just as easily make the argument that the best way for the “country to succeed” now that everyone has access to vaccines is to hasten the spread.  And thus the people who unwilling to do their part in this by exposing themselves to the virus are the ones being selfish and afraid to make a minor sacrifice to their health to more quickly end the pandemic.

OK, you've really, really lost your mind on COVID-19 if you've come full circle to the Trump/Bolsonaro argument that "COVID-19 is just a little flu". It was BS when they tried to use it and it is BS now. Arguing against mandates due to violating citizens' rights is one thing but this is taking it to a ridiculous, long discredited extreme.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #10153 on: February 15, 2022, 09:38:00 AM »

There are still three states that haven't moved to lift their mask mandates-Hawaii, New Mexico, and Washington. I'm not sure what is going on in those states, although as I've said before, New Mexico's Governor has had a particularly rigorous coronavirus response and Hawaii has never lifted its mask mandate since first imposing it in the early months of the pandemic.

I think New Mexico's expires on March 4, and the governor is going to look mighty stupid if she extends it again.

On the other hand, it's New Mexico. Didn't they have an outdoor mandate through most of 2020-21? I went there in October, and people weren't wearing masks outdoors (and sometimes even indoors), but on paper, it may have been stricter than any other state.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #10154 on: February 15, 2022, 09:39:39 AM »

I think New Mexico's expires on March 4, and the governor is going to look mighty stupid if she extends it again.

On the other hand, it's New Mexico. Didn't they have an outdoor mandate through most of 2020-21? I went there in October, and people weren't wearing masks outdoors (and sometimes even indoors), but on paper, it may have been stricter than any other state.

What's made it even worse is that Grisham violated her own restrictions. When the lockdowns were in place, she obtained jewelry from an expensive shop that was closed to the rest of the public. And she came under criticism for that. This is part of why Grisham could be vulnerable this year.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10155 on: February 15, 2022, 09:48:05 AM »

The mayor of Grants, New Mexico, is strongly opposed to COVID restrictions, and won't enforce them in his town. But he comes across as a real loose cannon. Also, I think he is (or was) officially a Democrat.

For the Fourth of July in 2020, he allowed the city's annual parade to take place, and the state tried to fine him $5,000. He also said Grants has never had a mask mandate, despite the statewide mandate.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10156 on: February 15, 2022, 10:41:37 AM »

It's naive to think that the recent lifting of mask mandates even in blue states has nothing to do with politics.

I really think that the maskless photos of Garcetti and Abrams and the ridiculous excuses they tried to make were a major turning point.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10157 on: February 15, 2022, 10:45:39 AM »

There have been bills in state legislatures lately regarding masks, and the vote hasn't been strictly on party lines. But the reaction from the Democratic leadership has been ridiculous, even though some Democrats like Chap Petersen in Virginia oppose forced masking.

The Democratic leadership is absolutely humiliating. The Democrats are ready for the dustbin of history.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #10158 on: February 15, 2022, 01:23:52 PM »

It's naive to think that the recent lifting of mask mandates even in blue states has nothing to do with politics.

I really think that the maskless photos of Garcetti and Abrams and the ridiculous excuses they tried to make were a major turning point.

It does seem like the Democratic Governors (or at least most of them) are leaving the Administration behind. Biden doubled down on his previous statement that lifting mask mandates was premature, and we are seeing no signs of change from his Administration or the CDC. Why are they so invested in these mandates? I'm fearful he's going to extend the public transit mandate.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10159 on: February 15, 2022, 01:57:14 PM »

Every decision since this started, from both parties, has been politically-motivated. It's odd that we have so many people here who suddenly think this isn't.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #10160 on: February 15, 2022, 03:16:13 PM »

What's made it even worse is that Grisham violated her own restrictions. When the lockdowns were in place, she obtained jewelry from an expensive shop that was closed to the rest of the public. And she came under criticism for that. This is part of why Grisham could be vulnerable this year.
Grisham will more likely than not, lose re-election if she extends it
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #10161 on: February 15, 2022, 04:04:34 PM »

As of Monday's update (which it's worth noting seems to have a couple of gaps, albeit not huge ones), our weekly national case load is now back below peak-Delta levels in early September.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10162 on: February 15, 2022, 10:34:52 PM »
« Edited: February 15, 2022, 10:40:38 PM by Frodo »

I am not anticipating any controversy around this funding request:

Biden Admin Seeks $30 Billion More From Congress to Fight COVID -Sources

The Biden administration is seeking $30 billion in additional funds from Congress to fight the COVID-19 pandemic to bolster vaccines, treatments, testing supply, and research, according to sources familiar with the matter.

The $30 billion request includes $17.9 billion for vaccines and therapeutics, two sources familiar with it said.

Administration officials and congressional staff have been in talks about the issue, a Department of Health and Human Services spokesperson confirmed on Tuesday.

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10163 on: February 15, 2022, 10:39:57 PM »

U.S. COVID Deaths See a Peak As Cases Take Significant Dive
----------------

As of Monday's update (which it's worth noting seems to have a couple of gaps, albeit not huge ones), our weekly national case load is now back below peak-Delta levels in early September.

When our death rate eventually falls to a similar level, I will be joining Camp 4.

JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #10164 on: February 15, 2022, 11:32:16 PM »

Thanks to the 9-0-2 vote in JCAR today, all schools in Illinois are mask-optional. This is pending a ruling in the 4th Appellate Court regarding the TRO by Sangamon County Judge Raylene Grischow.

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10165 on: February 16, 2022, 12:13:38 AM »

A large part of this is due to the fact that these three are out and out racists, but getting recalled by 50 points in San Francisco should make clear how completely voters have rejected the pro-pandemic left. (And let’s hope Boudin goes down next!)
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10166 on: February 16, 2022, 12:35:32 AM »

I am panicking about hyperinflation or a great depression. I told yall the United States should have never shut down and we had to much stimulus. I am worried about the pluto return that the United States is about to experience.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10167 on: February 16, 2022, 12:41:02 AM »

The Pluto return is an abstract concept and is not going to do a damn thing to inflation or the economy. You can officially cross that out as one of your worries.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10168 on: February 16, 2022, 12:49:20 AM »

I am panicking about hyperinflation or a great depression. I told yall the United States should have never shut down and we had to much stimulus. I am worried about the pluto return that the United States is about to experience.
Just wait until Saturn comes back around.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #10169 on: February 16, 2022, 04:46:25 AM »

Should you mix and match?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2022-01-19/covid-booster-vaccination-pfizer-moderna-astrazeneca/100763758

"UK researchers recently measured the immune response of nearly 3,000 people who received one of seven COVID-19 booster vaccines (or a control jab) two to three months after their second dose of either AstraZeneca or Pfizer.

They found that people boosted with Pfizer following two doses of AstraZeneca had antibody levels nearly 25 times higher than controls. For those who received a Moderna booster (following AstraZeneca), antibody levels increased 32-fold.

Among those who had Pfizer for their first two shots, a third Pfizer dose saw antibody levels rise more than eightfold. For those who received a Moderna booster, antibody levels increased 11-fold."
compucomp

« Reply #10170 on: February 16, 2022, 09:01:16 AM »

This might be the one thing we agree about on the pandemic. I also think that the trillions of dollars of stimulus had a huge part in causing the inflation we experience now, and thus closing non-essential businesses was not sustainable at all. Despite being an popular viewpoint here, "money printer go brrrr" was not a legitimate economic/fiscal strategy.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10171 on: February 16, 2022, 09:04:59 AM »

One more week of masking kids outdoors at school.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10172 on: February 16, 2022, 09:56:26 AM »

One more week of masking kids outdoors at school.

They are just absolute ghouls.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10173 on: February 16, 2022, 11:43:46 AM »

This might be the one thing we agree about on the pandemic. I also think that the trillions of dollars of stimulus had a huge part in causing the inflation we experience now, and thus closing non-essential businesses was not sustainable at all. Despite being an popular viewpoint here, "money printer go brrrr" was not a legitimate economic/fiscal strategy.

Yes, not saying we should have had no stimulus, but the level of it is going to cause us problems further down in the years and leave the United States in a poor position to respond to the next national emergency.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10174 on: February 16, 2022, 11:49:10 AM »

The Cruelty Is the Point: The Past, Present, and Future of the Left's America
Pages: 1 ... 402 403 404 405 406 [407] 408 409 410 411 412 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies