COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:56:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 370 371 372 373 374 [375] 376 377 378 379 380 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 535945 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9350 on: January 21, 2022, 12:56:33 PM »
« edited: January 21, 2022, 01:01:11 PM by Old School Republican »

I LOVE this

This just sums up the silliness of America's response to this pandemic

Here we have a kid who is basically saying that because she does not like mask adults should all bow down to her and let her take the risk of getting infected while also potentially infecting the other students around her

Now to be clear, I have no issue with anyone making an argument against covid restrictions, but I'm no fan of anybody who uses their kids as a prop in order to get their point across.

The fact is we know full well that this kid did not drive herself to this meeting in order to give that speech. If her parents felt so strongly about it, then they should be the ones speaking up instead of hiding behind their child

How about this , you let people decide what precautions they want to take .

Also you are claiming  kids have no ability to tell if they they oppose masks or not . How silly given they are forced to wear it
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9351 on: January 21, 2022, 12:59:06 PM »

Omicron is now 99.5% of USA cases and there were 2300 deaths today. Are we still going with this is almost all Delta, and the super mild Omicron is causing negligible deaths?

I tried to warn, but this "data-driven" (LMAO) blogg can't comprehend, that for unvaxxed Omicron is just 30-40% (at best 50%) less dangerous. For vaxxed all variants are less dangerous than flu, so who cares anyway?

Those who reported to die today, got covid ~3 weeks ago. Per CDC 3 weeks ago, 90% had Omicron and 10% Delta, so it's fairly safe to assume, that at lest 50% of today's deaths are due to Omicron. Consequentially, it means that Omicron-related deaths will keep rising during next ~3 weeks and start to decrease after that. As it happened in South Africa https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/world/south-africa-covid-cases.html

It was reported by Gov Hochul a couple weeks ago that 50% of all "covid hospitalizations" in NYC were actually there for reasons unrealted to Covid, but that seems to have been memory holed by the media.  Can't imagine why...  The death tolls being reported right now are totally misleading.  They've been misleading since March 2020, but its worse than ever right now.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #9352 on: January 21, 2022, 12:59:54 PM »

I LOVE this

Here we have a kid who is basically saying that because she does not like mask adults should all bow down to her and let her take the risk of getting infected while also potentially infecting the other students around her

Now to be clear, I have no issue with anyone making an argument against covid restrictions, but I'm no fan of anybody who uses their kids as a prop in order to get their point across.

The fact is we know full well that this kid did not drive herself to this meeting in order to give that speech. If her parents felt so strongly about it, then they should be the ones speaking up instead of hiding behind their child

For many people, that's not acceptable. We must have mandates, and mandates are a net positive for society. They are also, in their view, a necessity. Many students, interestingly enough, are now advocating for virtual learning and for mask mandates. They want the restrictions that have been imposed, to remain, and they don't want to discard them. In public schools and on college campuses alike, this seems to be true for a large segment of people.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9353 on: January 21, 2022, 01:27:15 PM »

I LOVE this

For many people, that's not acceptable. We must have mandates, and mandates are a net positive for society. They are also, in their view, a necessity. Many students, interestingly enough, are now advocating for virtual learning and for mask mandates. They want the restrictions that have been imposed, to remain, and they don't want to discard them. In public schools and on college campuses alike, this seems to be true for a large segment of people.

Because fear overwhelms reason. Children and young adults objectively have a negligible risk of serious injury from COVID. It is the situation wherein mandates make the least sense.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9354 on: January 21, 2022, 01:37:51 PM »

I LOVE this

Because fear overwhelms reason. Children and young adults objectively have a negligible risk of serious injury from COVID. It is the situation wherein mandates make the least sense.

https://people.com/human-interest/florida-siblings-are-among-167000-children-orphaned-by-covid-we-have-to-stay-together/
roxas11
United States

« Reply #9355 on: January 21, 2022, 01:44:06 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2022, 03:35:15 PM by roxas11 »

I LOVE this

Also you are claiming  kids have no ability to tell if they they oppose masks or not . How silly given they are forced to wear it

Like I said in my last post I have no problem with people making arguments against covid restrictions. My problem is that I simply do not think that a child should be the one who is making those arguments, it's one thing to say that an adult should decide if they want to take precautions or not because they know full well what the consequences are but it's another to say that child is also fully aware are those risks

The kid in the video talked about being stressed over wearing a mask, but that is nothing compared to the stress that she would feel if she ended giving one of her friends at school covid. Trust me, that is is a not good feeling because last year my sister's husband took me and my brother the to get tested for covid. We both tested positive and a few days later, my sister's husband took sick and had to be a hospitalized

Thankfully, he ended up making it, but the guilt I felt knowing that I could have potentially gave him covid is something I would not wish on my worst enemy. That is a burden that I hope nobody has to bare especially not a kid
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9356 on: January 21, 2022, 01:53:45 PM »

I LOVE this

https://people.com/human-interest/florida-siblings-are-among-167000-children-orphaned-by-covid-we-have-to-stay-together/

I can also post links to stories of children tragically orphaned in other ways. For example this: https://www.blackenterprise.com/5-children-orphaned-after-father-dies-in-car-crash-months-after-mothers-untimely-death/. Does that mean we should make everyone work from home because automobile incidents kill 30-40k Americans every year and children like these are forced to confront the reality that they will never see their parents again? Not to diminish the human suffering here, but at some point we need to accept that we live in a world where death is a reality and bad things happen to people who don't deserve it. Now that Omicron, a strain that is substantially less deadly than those that preceded it, is the predominant mode of COVID infection, it seems like an ideal time for society as a whole to begin exiting the pandemic and getting back to normal.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9357 on: January 21, 2022, 03:13:15 PM »

Judge in Texas blocks enforcement of federal employee vaccine mandate nationwide

A Texas federal judge on Friday blocked the Biden administration from enforcing a vaccine mandate for federal employees, dealing another blow to President Joe Biden's campaign to increase the country's lackluster vaccination rate.

Judge Jeffrey Vincent Brown called the mandate an overstep of presidential authority and cited the recent Supreme Court decision to strike down a separate administration mandate that had applied to private sector workers.

"The President certainly possesses 'broad statutory authority to regulate executive branch employment policies,'" Brown wrote. "But the Supreme Court has expressly held that a COVID-19 vaccine mandate is not an employment regulation. And that means the President was without statutory authority to issue the federal worker mandate."

The Justice Department immediately appealed the decision to a circuit court.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/21/politics/employee-vaccine-mandate/index.html
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9358 on: January 21, 2022, 07:20:30 PM »

The CDC director called for broadscale investment in public health — including helping to hire more nurses locally, staffing emergency departments and recruiting statisticians and data crunchers. Walensky’s focus on strengthening public health offices underscores the extent to which she thinks the CDC must improve its federal response by revitalizing the local and state health systems it relies upon.

Walensky said the CDC has made some improvements to its data-collection methods, including setting up a more accurate and sustainable system to obtain hospital information. But she plans to put the agency’s data modernization effort front and center in the coming year.

“The pipes have to connect,” Walensky said. “We also have to get to a place where each state is collecting data that … can feed in in a way that can be crosstalk with all the other states.”

Those changes will likely take years to implement. In the meantime, Walensky said the CDC is trying to augment the information it has with other forms of data from international allies and academic institutions.

But accurate, real-time data will become increasingly important as the country tries to move from the pandemic.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #9359 on: January 21, 2022, 07:25:33 PM »

The CDC director called for broadscale investment in public health — including helping to hire more nurses locally, staffing emergency departments and recruiting statisticians and data crunchers. Walensky’s focus on strengthening public health offices underscores the extent to which she thinks the CDC must improve its federal response by revitalizing the local and state health systems it relies upon.

Walensky said the CDC has made some improvements to its data-collection methods, including setting up a more accurate and sustainable system to obtain hospital information. But she plans to put the agency’s data modernization effort front and center in the coming year.

“The pipes have to connect,” Walensky said. “We also have to get to a place where each state is collecting data that … can feed in in a way that can be crosstalk with all the other states.”

Those changes will likely take years to implement. In the meantime, Walensky said the CDC is trying to augment the information it has with other forms of data from international allies and academic institutions.

But accurate, real-time data will become increasingly important as the country tries to move from the pandemic.

As someone who's been critical of Walensky and the CDC, I'm glad to see that she seems to recognize some of the issues which the agency has and has proposals to address them.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9360 on: January 21, 2022, 08:28:46 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2022, 09:38:38 PM by GP270watch »

How about actually having universal healthcare for every American, everything else is window-dressing.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9361 on: January 21, 2022, 09:30:54 PM »

2700 deaths today. Very bad.

On the plus side we're now 2 weeks out from the probable peak in cases, so hopefully the deaths are peaking soon.

2800 deaths today and yesterday was revised to 3100 which is the most since last winter. Very bad.
compucomp

« Reply #9362 on: January 21, 2022, 09:46:58 PM »

On the plus side we're now 2 weeks out from the probable peak in cases, so hopefully the deaths are peaking soon.

2800 deaths today and yesterday was revised to 3100 which is the most since last winter. Very bad.

That number could be 300,000 and this forum still wouldn't change its mind, it's that entitled and spoiled and dead set on "return to normal". It's even starting to borrow old Trump talking points, demanding the end of testing and saying that hospitalizations and deaths are inflated, insinuating that there is a conspiracy in the hospitals to label unrelated things as COVID.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #9363 on: January 21, 2022, 10:19:43 PM »

That number could be 300,000 and this forum still wouldn't change its mind, it's that entitled and spoiled and dead set on "return to normal". It's even starting to borrow old Trump talking points, demanding the end of testing and saying that hospitalizations and deaths are inflated, insinuating that there is a conspiracy in the hospitals to label unrelated things as COVID.

I'm not sure if you saw my question from the other day. Which of these COVID view camps do you fall into? Should we be aiming to eliminate the virus entirely? And if so, should we return to the vigorous lockdowns of March 2020 and impose even more stringent protocols? Should we implement mask mandates on a vast scale, ban all nonessential business activities, return to virtual learning for schools, and impose strict travel restrictions? Perhaps quarantines of cities or regions that are hotspots for the virus? And perhaps the implementation of a federal vaccine passport system? Should the President call out the National Guard to staff the nation's hospitals?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9364 on: January 21, 2022, 11:14:49 PM »

I LOVE this

I can also post links to stories of children tragically orphaned in other ways. For example this: https://www.blackenterprise.com/5-children-orphaned-after-father-dies-in-car-crash-months-after-mothers-untimely-death/. Does that mean we should make everyone work from home because automobile incidents kill 30-40k Americans every year and children like these are forced to confront the reality that they will never see their parents again? Not to diminish the human suffering here, but at some point we need to accept that we live in a world where death is a reality and bad things happen to people who don't deserve it. Now that Omicron, a strain that is substantially less deadly than those that preceded it, is the predominant mode of COVID infection, it seems like an ideal time for society as a whole to begin exiting the pandemic and getting back to normal.

You can't come up with anything that orphans like COVID, so go on trying to compare grapes to watermelons.  I agree that Omicron is less deadly than Delta though for whatever reason, deaths continue to be extremely elevated and for whatever reason, deaths were much younger last year than the first year of COVID--2020 81% of deaths were 65 and over. 2021 it was 69%.  It'll be a good time to ease when sick and dead people stop piling up.
compucomp

« Reply #9365 on: January 21, 2022, 11:41:57 PM »

I'm not sure if you saw my question from the other day. Which of these COVID view camps do you fall into? Should we be aiming to eliminate the virus entirely? And if so, should we return to the vigorous lockdowns of March 2020 and impose even more stringent protocols? Should we implement mask mandates on a vast scale, ban all nonessential business activities, return to virtual learning for schools, and impose strict travel restrictions? Perhaps quarantines of cities or regions that are hotspots for the virus? And perhaps the implementation of a federal vaccine passport system? Should the President call out the National Guard to staff the nation's hospitals?

I voted in this poll. No, I oppose returning to the measures of March 2020, because if the government shuts down business, it is obligated to support them, and I'm not interested in paying more taxes to support them nor do I want more inflation, which was the result after the historic deficit spending. Quarantine of regions wouldn't be effective since every region of the country has already has vast community spread. Schools should stay open since remote learning is inferior to in person learning but remote needs to be kept available for times when the spread is so bad that schools have to use cafeteria staff and parents as substitute teachers. The only practical option for containment in the US now is to keep up mask and vaccine mandates to make public spaces mostly safe, support hospitals during surges with federal resources and hope that with evolution, better vaccines, better treatments, and natural immunity from the population contracting COVID repeatedly, hospitalizations and deaths from COVID go to the seasonal flu "baseline".

No, this is not the normal of 2019, but it keeps the economy running mostly normally, slows down the spread, and keeps public spaces mostly COVID safe. To me, this is close enough to normal that I'm happy to accept it to have some societal protection against an ultra-contagious and still potent virus.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #9366 on: January 21, 2022, 11:43:44 PM »

I voted in this poll. No, I oppose returning to the measures of March 2020, because if the government shuts down business, it is obligated to support them, and I'm not interested in paying more taxes to support them nor do I want more inflation, which was the result after the historic deficit spending. Quarantine of regions wouldn't be effective since every region of the country has already has vast community spread. Schools should stay open since remote learning is inferior to in person learning but remote needs to be kept available for times when the spread is so bad that schools have to use cafeteria staff and parents as substitute teachers. The only practical option for containment in the US now is to keep up mask and vaccine mandates to make public spaces mostly safe, support hospitals during surges with federal resources and hope that with evolution, better vaccines, better treatments, and natural immunity from the population contracting COVID repeatedly, hospitalizations and deaths from COVID go to the seasonal flu "baseline".

No, this is not the normal of 2019, but it keeps the economy running mostly normally, slows down the spread, and keeps public spaces mostly COVID safe. To me, this is close enough to normal that I'm happy to accept it to have some societal protection against an ultra-contagious and still potent virus.

These positions would place you in Camp 3. Will your change your views if we begin to a decline in cases and deaths over the next few months?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9367 on: January 21, 2022, 11:54:58 PM »

As someone who's been critical of Walensky and the CDC, I'm glad to see that she seems to recognize some of the issues which the agency has and has proposals to address them.

Well, the CDC is dependent on state's providing the data including death certificates and cause of deaths and states are wildly inconsistent on how they chose to code the data, in many cases to make the state look "better" than they are. 

A good example is to compare Massachusetts and Arizona since they're very close in population and death rate and total deaths prepandemic.

2019  Massachusetts had 58630 deaths
2020 Massachusetts had  68864 deaths  with Covid being the cause for 10197 deaths
2021 Massachusetts had  63641 deaths (not final) with Covid the cause for 5495 deaths

2019 Arizona had  60236 deaths
2020 Arizona had  77089 deaths with Covid being the cause for 9321 deaths
2021 Arizona had  81972 deaths (not final) with Covid being the cause for 13854 deaths.

Well, isn't that weird?  What explains the surge in deaths in Arizona that aren't attributed to Covid?  A surge in non-Covid deaths that doesn't exist in Massachusetts.  It would be interesting to know the answer to that cause damn Arizona has killed a whole lotta people the last two years.  Maybe the CDC should find out, maybe Arizona and say Texas (which also has a massive increase in non Covid deaths) will be like "States rights! States rights! " and refuse to cooperate with the CDC.  I'm honestly surprised some states haven't stopped reporting deaths to the CDC, cause that's the way some of these states roll.

2019 deaths
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr70/nvsr70-08-508.pdf

2020 and 2021 provisional data from CDC

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

I earlier reference racial breakdowns of deaths in NM and that data for all the states is here

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/health_disparities.htm#RaceHispanicOriginAge

Sex and Age data can be found here

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm#PlaceDeath

Of course, the data isn't real time as Bill Gates has been foiled in microchipping everyone and in fact is dependent on the states processing their death certificate data and sending it to the CDC and the speed with which that happens varies by quite a bit from state to state. 

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9368 on: January 22, 2022, 09:04:47 AM »

I'm old enough to remember when 3000 people died so we changed our society, went to war in multiple countries, and spent trillions of dollars. Now, that many people are dting every day or two and people keep whining about how uncomfortable masks are and how they want things to go back to normal. Quite a difference.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #9369 on: January 22, 2022, 10:04:08 AM »

I'm old enough to remember when 3000 people died so we changed our society, went to war in multiple countries, and spent trillions of dollars. Now, that many people are dting every day or two and people keep whining about how uncomfortable masks are and how they want things to go back to normal. Quite a difference.

Then which of the Covid view camps do you fall into? Your comments seem to suggest that you fall into Camp #2.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9370 on: January 22, 2022, 11:13:49 AM »

Then which of the Covid view camps do you fall into? Your comments seem to suggest that you fall into Camp #2.

I'm solidly in Camp #5:
Camp 1: We must return to March 2020- if not even more strict measures- to rid the world of covid once and for all.  #ZeroCovid was right, and we abandoned it too soon.

Camp 2: The unvaccinated should be forced back into lockdown with siginficant restrictions on life for the vaccinated (perhaps resembling blue state restrictions during the winter of 2020-21).

Camp 3: Life should continue semi-normally and everything should be open, but I support mask and/or vaccine mandates.

Camp 4: Vaccinated people should be living without restrictions, while encouraging, but not requiring unvaccinated people to get vaccinated.  People with covid should still get tested and quarantine.

Camp 5: Covid needs to be treated no differently then the flu.  Make vaccines and treatments available to anyone who wants them, but that's it.  End mass testing of asymptomatic or pauci-symptomatic people and allow people who feel up to it to go about normal lives- whether they would test positive or negative.

I don't object to people wearing masks, but I do object to government mandates.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9371 on: January 22, 2022, 11:19:18 AM »

If those 3000 people had decided to kill themselves, like the 3000 people yesterday did, then this comparison might make sense. But we should not be restructuring society to protect people who do not care to protect themselves.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #9372 on: January 22, 2022, 11:38:15 AM »

I'm solidly in Camp #5:
Camp 1: We must return to March 2020- if not even more strict measures- to rid the world of covid once and for all.  #ZeroCovid was right, and we abandoned it too soon.

Camp 2: The unvaccinated should be forced back into lockdown with siginficant restrictions on life for the vaccinated (perhaps resembling blue state restrictions during the winter of 2020-21).

Camp 3: Life should continue semi-normally and everything should be open, but I support mask and/or vaccine mandates.

Camp 4: Vaccinated people should be living without restrictions, while encouraging, but not requiring unvaccinated people to get vaccinated.  People with covid should still get tested and quarantine.

Camp 5: Covid needs to be treated no differently then the flu.  Make vaccines and treatments available to anyone who wants them, but that's it.  End mass testing of asymptomatic or pauci-symptomatic people and allow people who feel up to it to go about normal lives- whether they would test positive or negative.

I don't object to people wearing masks, but I do object to government mandates.
I agree. I used to be in Camp 1, but now I recognize that mandates are counterproductive and do more harm than good at this stage of the game. If people want to win the Darwin Awards by not getting vaccinated, then more power to them. All of us vaccinated people did the right thing and should be free to go back to our 2019 way of life if we so desire.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #9373 on: January 22, 2022, 11:43:27 AM »

I am solidly in Camp 5
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9374 on: January 22, 2022, 12:37:02 PM »

Largely in camp four, but tiptoeing into camp three when it comes to surges like we're in now. I did my part and I won't be shamed into restricting my activities, but masks in crowds are probably the least onerous part of this. I made it through NYCC this year without getting con crud for the first time I can remember, so I'm definitely not opposed to private companies requiring masks.

As for the vaccines, they're definitely effective at keeping people from dying of Omicron. But if they're not curtailing spread significantly, we either need to drop the focus on cases or drop the mandates.
Pages: 1 ... 370 371 372 373 374 [375] 376 377 378 379 380 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies