COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 11:11:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 342 343 344 345 346 [347] 348 349 350 351 352 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 538588 times)
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8650 on: December 31, 2021, 06:02:13 PM »

"Fauci also predicts the sun will rise in the east tomorrow".  Smiley
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #8651 on: December 31, 2021, 06:32:19 PM »

Just received my Moderna booster this afternoon; gotta keep the members of my family and community who are immunocompromised safe.  Smile

The booster does nothing for community spread so if that was your reason you probably wasted your time.  Just say you got it for yourself, its okay.

My Mother is immunocompromised and my Aunt (lives with us) works in the medical field as a nurse. So I actually had multiple reasons for getting it; of course my own health was one of those as well... I'm not quite sure what snarky little point you were trying to make here, but it was a pretty weak one.

Buzz off.

Your booster probably didn't do anything for your mother or your aunt.  Especially if your aunt is a nurse.  You don't think she's going to be exposed to it?

So you don't think an immunocompromised person has a better shot at survival in a family group who are all completely vaccinated, boosted and take precautions, Vs. a family group who are completely unvaccinated and take no precautions? That's ridiculous.

You say it 'probably' doesn't help cause you know that some research says that it does. The science behind transmisiblity in the vaccinated Vs. non-vaccinated is in flux right now, sure, but that 'probability' as you put it is more than enough reason for me to get my booster. Even if (and I highly doubt it) the only 'societal' benefit is even just normalizing it and encouraging others to get theirs.

Ah, you revealed yourself right at the end.  Get it because you want to, and because it will "normalize" the booster - as you say.  Thats it though.  There's no research to support you.  Your immunocomprimised mom should get a booster for herself if she wants one.  You getting one is doing absolutely nothing but giving her peace of mind (thanks to the media).  Give yourself a pat on the back.

Uh, the data we have does demonstrate that the vaccines prevent transmission of the virus. It isn’t fully updated with omicron data, but it’s unlikely that it will drop to zero even if it does drop off somewhat.

What a bizarre hill to die on.

It clearly does not prevent transmission of the virus.  I can't believe you're willing to type that with a straight face at this point.  Here in the real world, the virus is spreading easily throughout the fully vaccinated community.  You're stuck in March 2021.

Just because your vaccinated friend got Covid doesn’t mean it doesn’t prevent transmission.

The data shows that the vaccines reduce your likelihood of contracting the virus by 5x. Again, this is pre-omicron data, but I’d put the likelihood that drops to none at very low.

Calthrina says “lessens” would be more appropriate, but this is semantics. No vaccine is 100% so it is silly to assume I meant 100% when I said “prevent.”

The fact is that the vaccine reduces the likelihood that you contract Covid-19.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #8652 on: December 31, 2021, 07:44:12 PM »

Unfortunately it isn't until the unvaccinated stop filling up hospitals and causing problems or deaths of people who need to go there for something else.

It will be if COVID becomes mild enough and the vulnerable population shrinks to a point to bring hospitalizations down to a manageable level.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8653 on: December 31, 2021, 08:24:16 PM »

Unfortunately it isn't until the unvaccinated stop filling up hospitals and causing problems or deaths of people who need to go there for something else.

Then they should triage the unvaccinated.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8654 on: January 01, 2022, 02:54:55 AM »

Oh, is it that obvious to you? 
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8655 on: January 01, 2022, 03:22:31 AM »

Extremely, actually.  All it has to do is mimic the first 5 “waves”.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #8656 on: January 01, 2022, 07:04:50 AM »

New Years Celebrations results in big problems for hotel who hosts illegal gathering.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-01/perth-new-years-eve-covid-restrictions-cbd-arrests-fireworks/100734290

They tried to have a party during a restricted period. From a company perspective, they are going to get the book thrown at them for breaking COVID regulations.

'Serious' charges expected after hidden party

"Authorities are also investigating a ticketed, private New Year's Eve event at The George restaurant and bar which they allege breached COVID health and safety guidelines and liquor licensing requirements."
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #8657 on: January 01, 2022, 07:08:38 AM »

This has to be the most self-centred population in recent history. It's a good thing most of you weren't alive during WWII or we would almost certainly have lost. It's no wonder this country is fracturing as it is. There is no common cause or common sacrifice anymore. It's all about "me", "me", and "me'. Being forced to wear a mask in a grocery store? That's apparently the new oppression. That is despite the fact that one lives in the United States, where one is not oppressed.

But hey, let's all try to get this virus transmitted across the population as quickly as possible. That's what most of you want. Obviously, mitigation efforts are too oppressive for some people. I honestly say "f-ck you" to those that think a mask somehow inhibits a trip the grocery store. I have no respect for those that think only of themselves.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #8658 on: January 01, 2022, 07:14:55 AM »

This has to be the most self-centred population in recent history. It's a good thing most of you weren't alive during WWII or we would almost certainly have lost. It's no wonder this country is fracturing as it is. There is no common cause or common sacrifice anymore. It's all about "me", "me", and "me'. Being forced to wear a mask in a grocery store? That's apparently the new oppression. That is despite the fact that one lives in the United States, where one is not oppressed.

Yeah, essentially this.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #8659 on: January 01, 2022, 07:48:52 AM »

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8660 on: January 01, 2022, 09:42:46 AM »

Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #8661 on: January 01, 2022, 10:29:48 AM »

This has to be the most self-centred population in recent history. It's a good thing most of you weren't alive during WWII or we would almost certainly have lost. It's no wonder this country is fracturing as it is. There is no common cause or common sacrifice anymore.

Then politicians should start obeying the rules they impose on everyone else.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #8662 on: January 01, 2022, 11:05:29 AM »

Remember all the "keep calm" stuff of the 2010s? What ever happened to that?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8663 on: January 01, 2022, 11:13:21 AM »

Yeah, essentially this.
TFW you want to outlaw abortion but can’t enforce a mask mandate.
compucomp

« Reply #8664 on: January 01, 2022, 11:58:11 AM »

Previous rules of virus are 'out the window'

The latest surge, which has sent case numbers exploding across the globe, is fueled by the Omicron variant, the most contagious coronavirus strain yet, health experts say.

The virus is now "extraordinarily contagious" and previous mitigation measures that used to help now may not be as helpful, CNN medical analyst Dr. Jonathan Reiner told CNN on Friday.

"At the beginning of this pandemic... we all were taught, you have a significant exposure if you're within six feet of somebody and you're in contact with them for more than 15 minutes. All these rules are out the window," Reiner said. "This is a hyper-contagious virus."

Now, even a quick, transient encounter can lead to an infection, Reiner added, including if someone's mask is loose, or a person quickly pulls their mask down, or an individual enters an elevator in which someone else has just coughed.

"This is how you can contract this virus," Reiner said.

I'm sure all the anti-restriction people on this forum want this information suppressed, like Trump would. If this were widely known, a substantial portion of the population would lock themselves down, and then large parts of the hospitality industry would likely close due to suddenly being unprofitable, all of this with zero intervention by the government. This would be totally unacceptable to these people who demand their hospitality options open at all times come hell or high water.
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #8665 on: January 01, 2022, 12:00:25 PM »

The latest surge, which has sent case numbers exploding across the globe, is fueled by the Omicron variant, the most contagious coronavirus strain yet, health experts say.

The virus is now "extraordinarily contagious" and previous mitigation measures that used to help now may not be as helpful, CNN medical analyst Dr. Jonathan Reiner told CNN on Friday.

"At the beginning of this pandemic... we all were taught, you have a significant exposure if you're within six feet of somebody and you're in contact with them for more than 15 minutes. All these rules are out the window," Reiner said. "This is a hyper-contagious virus."

Now, even a quick, transient encounter can lead to an infection, Reiner added, including if someone's mask is loose, or a person quickly pulls their mask down, or an individual enters an elevator in which someone else has just coughed.

I'm sure all the anti-restriction people on this forum want this information suppressed, like Trump would. If this were widely known, a substantial portion of the population would lock themselves down, and then large parts of the hospitality industry would likely close due to suddenly being unprofitable, all of this with zero intervention by the government. This would be totally unacceptable to these people who demand their hospitality options open at all times come hell or high water.

Quite the opposite: I expect this news is what will finally make people throw their hands up and say “enough, then.”
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #8666 on: January 01, 2022, 12:13:46 PM »

Quite the opposite: I expect this news is what will finally make people throw their hands up and say “enough, then.”

That’s where I’m at. Short of completely shutting down your life, there’s literally nothing you can do to avoid infection. People used to talk about “layers of protection” like they were slices of Swiss cheese: The holes in one slice would be covered by the areas in the next slice that didn’t have any. We’re at the point where that’s total BS though, because entire slices are one big hole. So why layer on with a mask and distancing and hand sanitizer and glass partitions when they don’t matter? You get this virus by walking past someone.

What I’m also getting at with the Swiss cheese nonsense is that I feel like health officials use that metaphor to justify the inconsistencies in their health orders. In BC, you can go to a hockey game with 9,000 people or to crowded Boxing Day events at the mall, but you can’t go to the gym. The virus is coming, the rules don’t make sense, and it’s becoming more and more clear that there’s nothing we can really do. The cost-benefit analysis should lead us to give up, at this point.
compucomp

« Reply #8667 on: January 01, 2022, 12:29:22 PM »
« Edited: January 01, 2022, 12:33:15 PM by compucomp »

That’s where I’m at. Short of completely shutting down your life, there’s literally nothing you can do to avoid infection. People used to talk about “layers of protection” like they were slices of Swiss cheese: The holes in one slice would be covered by the areas in the next slice that didn’t have any. We’re at the point where that’s total BS though, because entire slices are one big hole. So why layer on with a mask and distancing and hand sanitizer and glass partitions when they don’t matter? You get this virus by walking past someone.

What I’m also getting at with the Swiss cheese nonsense is that I feel like health officials use that metaphor to justify the inconsistencies in their health orders. In BC, you can go to a hockey game with 9,000 people or to crowded Boxing Day events at the mall, but you can’t go to the gym. The virus is coming, the rules don’t make sense, and it’s becoming more and more clear that there’s nothing we can really do. The cost-benefit analysis should lead us to give up, at this point.

That's an argument to force the NHL (and NBA, NFL, etc) to play games without fans. But in just about every country, money talks, and sports leagues have a lot of that to throw around. I also disagree with your statement that the Swiss cheese/defense in depth argument is rendered useless and would argue Omicron means that we need to tighten and strengthen all of our defensive lines, not abandon them. That means, wearing higher grade masks, wearing them at all times indoors, etc.

Also to be fair, this is one doctor talking, without a scientific study. It will take months or years to verify what he said rigorously, even if it is believable due to how fast Omicron is spreading.

Time will tell how people adapt their behavior. This forum will surely give up on containment but I believe there is a substantial portion of the population that will go for stronger containment instead. I saw several articles in December about restaurants in NYC experiencing mass cancellations of reservations and expressing concern that they will not be profitable.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #8668 on: January 01, 2022, 01:10:50 PM »

I don't understand this post: the kind of people who would 'lock themselves down' are the kind of people who already know everything there is to know about the new variant anyway and would act accordingly.

Omicron Covid is one of the most infectious diseases known to humanity, rendering anything other than the most authoritarian, dystopian NPIs ineffectual. If anything, this means we need fewer restrictions, not more, since they will have nothing but the most vanishingly marginal impact on actual transmissibility and will only make people's lives more miserable with no meaningful change to the trajectory of the pandemic.

Unless you want people to be welded into their homes like in Wuhan there is no plausible level of social/economic restriction that will do anything to prevent everyone contracting Covid now. This is grounds for celebration, because it's extraordinarly mild compared to prior variants.

This will be over soon: the pandemic is transitioning from a medical phenomenon to a social/political one. If original Covid had been as mild as omicron and as transmissible we would never have heard of the phrase 'lockdown' because there would never have been any case for such a measure. The only reason we're even talking about public health restrictions now is because it's been normalised over the last two years.
compucomp

« Reply #8669 on: January 01, 2022, 02:02:51 PM »

I don't understand this post: the kind of people who would 'lock themselves down' are the kind of people who already know everything there is to know about the new variant anyway and would act accordingly.

Omicron Covid is one of the most infectious diseases known to humanity, rendering anything other than the most authoritarian, dystopian NPIs ineffectual. If anything, this means we need fewer restrictions, not more, since they will have nothing but the most vanishingly marginal impact on actual transmissibility and will only make people's lives more miserable with no meaningful change to the trajectory of the pandemic.

Unless you want people to be welded into their homes like in Wuhan there is no plausible level of social/economic restriction that will do anything to prevent everyone contracting Covid now. This is grounds for celebration, because it's extraordinarly mild compared to prior variants.

This will be over soon: the pandemic is transitioning from a medical phenomenon to a social/political one. If original Covid had been as mild as omicron and as transmissible we would never have heard of the phrase 'lockdown' because there would never have been any case for such a measure. The only reason we're even talking about public health restrictions now is because it's been normalised over the last two years.

I think you missed my point. I've long given up on government NPI's in the USA, aside from mask mandates, because they will not be put in place even if Omicron had the lethality of Ebola and corpses were piling up in the streets. I'm speaking of actions by cautious individuals in response to this news. I believe there is a substantial proportion of the population, who thought they were being mostly safe but if they were informed just how contagious Omicron is, would cancel that vacation, stop dining out, cancel that gathering they were going to hold, etc. This could then move the market and make hospitality unprofitable, forcing firms there to shut down, all of this with zero intervention by the government.

One could call this a "grassroots lockdown", and based on the posts on this forum, it would trigger people just as much as a government lockdown, which honestly undermines their "freedom" arguments since it would force hospitality firms to operate for their pleasure despite adverse market conditions.

Time will tell whether we see any effect like this, but I have seen several articles in December saying that restaurants in NYC were experiencing mass cancellations of reservations. My firm asked that we WFH for the first two weeks of January unless necessary and several of our competitors have done the same.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8670 on: January 01, 2022, 02:02:59 PM »

But hey, let's all try to get this virus transmitted across the population as quickly as possible. That's what most of you want.
Yes, correct, as many people should be exposed to omicron as possible. This is a fantastic opportunity to build hybrid immunity among the population with a very transmissible but not virulent strain, especially as it’s likely that any future strains will be descended from omicron as it crowds out all other variants.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8671 on: January 01, 2022, 02:04:52 PM »

I think you missed my point. I've long given up on government NPI's in the USA, aside from mask mandates, because they will not be put in place even if Omicron had the lethality of Ebola and corpses were piling up in the streets. I'm speaking of actions by cautious individuals in response to this news. I believe there is a substantial proportion of the population, who thought they were being mostly safe but if they were informed just how contagious Omicron is, would cancel that vacation, stop dining out, cancel that gathering they were going to hold, etc. This could then move the market and make hospitality unprofitable, forcing firms there to shut down, all of this with zero intervention by the government.

One could call this a "grassroots lockdown", and based on the posts on this forum, it would trigger people just as much as a government lockdown, which honestly undermines their "freedom" arguments since it would force hospitality firms to operate for their pleasure despite adverse market conditions.

Time will tell whether we see any effect like this, but I have seen several articles in December saying that restaurants in NYC were experiencing mass cancellations of reservations. My firm asked that we WFH for the first two weeks of January unless necessary and several of our competitors have done the same.

Why? That's just postponing the inevitable by a week or two. Every single person in the world is going to get omicron.

Your triple masking does nothing, omicron will come for you all the same.
compucomp

« Reply #8672 on: January 01, 2022, 02:42:46 PM »
« Edited: January 01, 2022, 02:46:06 PM by compucomp »

Why? That's just postponing the inevitable by a week or two. Every single person in the world is going to get omicron.

You're entitled to your opinion. I believe there are many who believe otherwise, particularly if this doctor is right and his statement becomes widely known, enough to move the market. We'll see who is right.

However, if I'm right and the hospitality industry starts to contract simply due to market conditions, then if you're bashing "lockdowns", like many have already done on this forum, you've totally undermined your "pro-freedom" arguments and have shown that you're authoritarian in the other direction. You're demanding that the hospitality sector stay open for your pleasure, regardless of what Omicron does and what market conditions dictate.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8673 on: January 01, 2022, 02:53:28 PM »

You're entitled to your opinion. I believe there are many who believe otherwise, particularly if this doctor is right and his statement becomes widely known, enough to move the market. We'll see who is right.

However, if I'm right and the hospitality industry starts to contract simply due to market conditions, then if you're bashing "lockdowns", like many have already done on this forum, you've totally undermined your "pro-freedom" arguments and have shown that you're authoritarian in the other direction. You're demanding that the hospitality sector stay open for your pleasure, regardless of what Omicron does and what market conditions dictate.

People can believe whatever they'd like about the transmissibility of the omicron variant. The facts are, it will get all of us at some point in at most the next 60 days, probably less, if it hasn't already. Nothing I stated was an opinion.

And I'm not demanding anyone stay open. If a business wants to lose money and shut down, they have that right. Virtually none will.
compucomp

« Reply #8674 on: January 01, 2022, 03:05:50 PM »

People can believe whatever they'd like about the transmissibility of the omicron variant. The facts are, it will get all of us at some point in at most the next 60 days, probably less, if it hasn't already. Nothing I stated was an opinion.

And I'm not demanding anyone stay open. If a business wants to lose money and shut down, they have that right. Virtually none will.

No, it's your opinion. It's still possible to avoid being infected by avoiding all human contact and sanitizing everything. I don't believe Omicron has evolved to be Lysol resistant. Also getting a booster does help a bit to prevent infection. If one can't tolerate avoiding human contact, then one incurs risk of catching it. How much human contact you need and how much risk you want to incur, that's up to personal opinion.

If you're willing to stick to what you said about voluntary business shutdowns, then I will respect your opinion. But there are multiple active threads where people are whining about "lockdowns" which are really voluntary business shutdowns and that really is not a respectable opinion since their "pro-freedom" arguments turn into hypocrisy.
Pages: 1 ... 342 343 344 345 346 [347] 348 349 350 351 352 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies