COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 03:50:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 335 336 337 [338] 339 340 341 342 343 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 558873 times)
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8425 on: December 23, 2021, 04:31:04 PM »

My workplace just had a big Christmas party - I'd say the demographics were such that pre-Covid, the Democrats would have won 75% of the crowd. But if you go there and tell them they shouldn't have the party, of course they won't be happy with you. Honestly I expect it will have been fine. Interesting that the Democrats' best defense here is "It's just advice! People still eat syrup, ya know."

Like, when you have to explain your own words by minimizing them, you realize it's a liability.

What would you have them do?  Not issue any public health guidance whatsoever?  That would essentially eliminate the scientific community.

They have a responsibility to give advice on public health matters.  Everyone is free to do what they will with that advice, just as it’s always been.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8426 on: December 23, 2021, 04:40:08 PM »

https://thehill.com/homenews/coronavirus-report/587061-fauci-says-large-holiday-gatherings-not-safe-even-with-booster

At this point, we just need to do what we want, and stop listening to the 'experts'. They want the pandemic and its restrictions to go on as long as possible to line their pockets

COVID-19 is stalking anyone who attends the mindless celebration of a ball falling at 12 PM on the night of December 31, 2021-January 1, 2022.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8427 on: December 23, 2021, 05:13:43 PM »

Not sure if this has already been discussed but as I predicted SCOTUS to hear Oral Arguments regarding Vaccine Mandates.
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/12/22/supreme-court-special-session-vaccine-requirements-526030

My guess is that the Vaccine Mandate for Health Care Workers will probably stay while the Vaccine Mandate for Private Businesses having more than 100 Employees will I think be struck down.

Historically the Supreme court has been very pro mandate when it comes to vaccines

For example, in 1905, the Supreme Court ruled that a state can impose “reasonable regulations” to protect the public health, even when such regulations interfere with individual rights.

based on that fact alone, I think there is a good chance that the Biden administration will end up winning both cases

LOL, there is no way that Alito, Thomas and Gorsuch are going to vote for Mandates. Not happening. The Cases will come down to Brett M. Kavanaugh and Amy Coney Barrett because I can mostly see Roberts siding with liberals Kagan, Sotomayor and Breyer.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8428 on: December 23, 2021, 05:44:36 PM »
« Edited: December 23, 2021, 05:57:50 PM by Green Line »

The death count just isn't keeping up with the case count though.

Well, of course, deaths lag case counts for obvious reasons, but the vax levels for much of the US should keep deaths well below last Dec/Jan but still far too many dead people even if they are mainly rural white people.

Huh

Casual racism, nice
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8429 on: December 23, 2021, 06:02:05 PM »
« Edited: December 23, 2021, 06:05:22 PM by Green Line »

Since many on here, for whatever reason, refuse to take information from South Africa at face value, here's a source from the UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/23/hospital-admission-risk-up-to-70-less-with-omicron-than-delta-ukhsa-finds

"The risk of being admitted to hospital is up to 70% less for people with Omicron compared to those infected with Delta, according to the first UK government study of its kind."

I know this is very sad news for our media and public health bureaucrats, so please keep them in your thoughts and prayers this Christmas season.

However, thats not to say its all bad news!  From the same article:

"At the same time, the preliminary UKHSA data suggests that protection against Covid starts to wane 10 weeks after a booster jab, raising the prospect that a fourth dose of vaccine may be required for some in 2022."

See? We can keep doing this forever and ever and ever.  There truly doesn't have to be an end!  This time next year, you won't be able to enter a restaurant unless you've had your seventh booster.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8430 on: December 23, 2021, 06:19:36 PM »

Since many on here, for whatever reason, refuse to take information from South Africa at face value, here's a source from the UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/23/hospital-admission-risk-up-to-70-less-with-omicron-than-delta-ukhsa-finds

"The risk of being admitted to hospital is up to 70% less for people with Omicron compared to those infected with Delta, according to the first UK government study of its kind."

I know this is very sad news for our media and public health bureaucrats, so please keep them in your thoughts and prayers this Christmas season.

"At the same time, the preliminary UKHSA data suggests that protection against Covid starts to wane 10 weeks after a booster jab, raising the prospect that a fourth dose of vaccine may be required for some in 2022."

See? We can keep doing this forever and ever and ever.  There truly doesn't have to be an end!  This time next year, you won't be able to enter a restaurant unless you've had your seventh booster.

Once hospitalization risk goes down as a whole, vaccine passports won't be necessary. But it's intellectually dishonest that having future booster shots is some horrible thing that "keeps it going" when we have vaccines for the flu and other viral illnesses literally ever year.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8431 on: December 23, 2021, 06:24:09 PM »

Once hospitalization risk goes down as a whole, vaccine passports won't be necessary. But it's intellectually dishonest that having future booster shots is some horrible thing that "keeps it going" when we have vaccines for the flu and other viral illnesses literally ever year.

Its intellectually dishonest to compare 4 shots per year, in perpetuity, to the annual flu shot (which has much milder side effects).  And if you seriously believe that this news will lead to the end of vaccine passports, I have a bridge in Alaska to sell you.  Their implementation has no correlation with their necessity.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8432 on: December 23, 2021, 06:59:27 PM »

Not sure if this has already been discussed but as I predicted SCOTUS to hear Oral Arguments regarding Vaccine Mandates.
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/12/22/supreme-court-special-session-vaccine-requirements-526030

My guess is that the Vaccine Mandate for Health Care Workers will probably stay while the Vaccine Mandate for Private Businesses having more than 100 Employees will I think be struck down.

Historically the Supreme court has been very pro mandate when it comes to vaccines

For example, in 1905, the Supreme Court ruled that a state can impose “reasonable regulations” to protect the public health, even when such regulations interfere with individual rights.

based on that fact alone, I think there is a good chance that the Biden administration will end up winning both cases

I very much doubt that will be the case with this Supreme Court.  But in the oft chance you're right, President Biden's vaccine mandates will only survive as long as we still have a Democratic majority in Congress.  Of course, by the time he is forced by a Republican majority to abandon them by early 2023, we probably won't need them anymore.  
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #8433 on: December 23, 2021, 07:02:23 PM »

I very much doubt that will be the case with this Supreme Court.  But in the oft chance you're right, President Biden's vaccine mandates will only survive as long as we still have a Democratic majority in Congress.  Of course, by the time he is forced by a Republican majority to abandon them by early 2023, we probably won't need them anymore.  

Any 2023 there’ll be some other deadly Greek word we’ll be dealing with.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8434 on: December 23, 2021, 07:06:37 PM »

Any 2023 there’ll be some other deadly Greek word we’ll be dealing with.

Deadly only to the unvaccinated.  For the rest of us, future variants will probably be even milder than Omicron.  By which point, we as a society can start approaching COVID the way we already deal with the seasonal flu.  No mandates or social distancing required.  A return to normalcy, much as some of you would hate the idea. 
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8435 on: December 23, 2021, 07:10:40 PM »

Its intellectually dishonest to compare 4 shots per year, in perpetuity, to the annual flu shot (which has much milder side effects).  And if you seriously believe that this news will lead to the end of vaccine passports, I have a bridge in Alaska to sell you.  Their implementation has no correlation with their necessity.

Now you're inventing your own imaginary scenario to get upset over.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8436 on: December 23, 2021, 07:13:21 PM »

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/israel-offer-fourth-dose-covid-19-vaccine-people-over-60-2021-12-21/

You might not like Israel, but its not imaginary AFAIK.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8437 on: December 23, 2021, 07:17:23 PM »

Virginia, what was the original poll question for this thread?  I am puzzled by the poll results to a non-existent question...   Huh
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8438 on: December 23, 2021, 07:18:09 PM »

See? We can keep doing this forever and ever and ever.  There truly doesn't have to be an end!  This time next year, you won't be able to enter a restaurant unless you've had your seventh booster.

Its intellectually dishonest to compare 4 shots per year, in perpetuity, to the annual flu shot (which has much milder side effects).  And if you seriously believe that this news will lead to the end of vaccine passports, I have a bridge in Alaska to sell you.  Their implementation has no correlation with their necessity.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/israel-offer-fourth-dose-covid-19-vaccine-people-over-60-2021-12-21/

Context matters, but of course you ignore it when you're trying to shove a narrative down people's throats.

people older than 60 or with compromised immune systems, and to health workers

If you are not in that group (and not in Israel) then yes, you are freaking out over scenarios that are entirely in your head.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8439 on: December 23, 2021, 07:19:18 PM »

Context matters, but of course you ignore it when you're trying to shove a narrative down people's throats.

Lol, you realize thats how the original boosters rolled out too?  Are you being dense or you seriously believe they’re going to give it to 60+, wash their hands, and call it there?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8440 on: December 23, 2021, 07:23:16 PM »

Who really has a Christmas party with 100 people anyway?

That's the world Fauci lives in.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8441 on: December 23, 2021, 07:25:47 PM »

Virginia, what was the original poll question for this thread?  I am puzzled by the poll results to a non-existent question...   Huh

It's quite simple: Yes or No?
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8442 on: December 23, 2021, 07:25:52 PM »

Lol, you realize thats how the original boosters rolled out too?  Are you being dense or you seriously believe they’re going to give it to 60+, wash their hands, and call it there?

I notice you're moving away from your fantasy claim of four per year being required, because you have literally nothing to back it up other than a maybe of a fourth dose at an unspecified point next year.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #8443 on: December 23, 2021, 07:26:33 PM »

We actually postpones our Christmas party that we were going to hold yesterday (well, we scaled it down to just 8 people).   We didn’t really want to postpone, but we had several guests tell us they couldn’t come because of recent covid contacts, and others cancel because they just weren’t comfortable.  We’re going to try again over New Years.
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.23, S: 0.42

« Reply #8444 on: December 23, 2021, 07:28:43 PM »

Just because the scientific community gives advise (aka, doing their jobs) doesn't mean you have to follow it.  So calm the f down.
The "scientific community" isn't a monolith, and they surely wouldn't elect Fauxi as their spokesperson.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8445 on: December 23, 2021, 07:29:10 PM »

I notice you're moving away from your fantasy claim of four per year being required, because you have literally nothing to back it up other than a maybe of a fourth dose at an unspecified point next year.

Where in the hell did I move away from that claim?  That is absolutely where its heading, as I just evidenced with Israel already rolling out a 4th shot IN LESS THAN A YEAR.  You’re in total denial (but you’ll still have your four shots anyway).
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8446 on: December 23, 2021, 07:34:32 PM »
« Edited: December 23, 2021, 07:38:54 PM by Hammy »

See? We can keep doing this forever and ever and ever.  There truly doesn't have to be an end!  This time next year, you won't be able to enter a restaurant unless you've had your seventh booster.

Its intellectually dishonest to compare 4 shots per year, in perpetuity, to the annual flu shot (which has much milder side effects).  And if you seriously believe that this news will lead to the end of vaccine passports, I have a bridge in Alaska to sell you.  Their implementation has no correlation with their necessity.

Lol, you realize thats how the original boosters rolled out too?  Are you being dense or you seriously believe they’re going to give it to 60+, wash their hands, and call it there?

Where in the hell did I move away from that claim?  That is absolutely where its heading, as I just evidenced with Israel already rolling out a 4th shot IN LESS THAN A YEAR.  You’re in total denial (but you’ll still have your four shots anyway).

Vaccinations started in January. Booster doses started rolling out in May. Second boosters (in literally one country) are rolling out in December. You're casually ignoring the fact that the span of time is expanding (two weeks, then three months, then seven months), and thus your invented narrative of four a year doesn't hold water.

But by all means, continue upsetting yourself over figments of your own imagination (your original claim being that you'd need 7 soon) because it's providing quite a bit of entertainment on my end.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8447 on: December 23, 2021, 07:38:42 PM »

Deaths have begun increasing in South Africa. We did anticipate a rise eventually, the question is to what degree.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8448 on: December 23, 2021, 07:44:55 PM »

Lol, you realize thats how the original boosters rolled out too?  Are you being dense or you seriously believe they’re going to give it to 60+, wash their hands, and call it there?

Where in the hell did I move away from that claim?  That is absolutely where its heading, as I just evidenced with Israel already rolling out a 4th shot IN LESS THAN A YEAR.  You’re in total denial (but you’ll still have your four shots anyway).

Vaccinations started in January. Booster doses started rolling out in May. Second boosters (in literally one country) are rolling out in December. You're casually ignoring the fact that the span of time is expanding (two weeks, then three months, then seven months), and thus your invented narrative of four a year doesn't hold water.

But by all means, continue upsetting yourself over figments of your own imagination (your original claim being that you'd need 7 soon) because it's providing quite a bit of entertainment on my end.

“The panel further recommended that the time between the second and third shots be reduced to three months from five.”

Everything you say is wrong.  The time between the boosters is getting closer, not further.  You are seriously naive if you believe what you write.  Everything, literally everything, in this pandemic starts off as an innocent “recommendation” until people start getting mad they they got a shot and others didn’t.  Then it becomes mandatory, and you are part of the problem.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8449 on: December 23, 2021, 07:52:56 PM »

“The panel further recommended that the time between the second and third shots be reduced to three months from five.”

Everything you say is wrong.  The time between the boosters is getting closer, not further.  You are seriously naive if you believe what you write.  Everything, literally everything, in this pandemic starts off as an innocent “recommendation” until people start getting mad they they got a shot and others didn’t.  Then it becomes mandatory, and you are part of the problem.

First off, vaccines aren't even mandatory in the first place (even though they should be), second, you're making quite the leap from a recommendation to something that is yet to be the case in the real world.

But of course the real part of the problem is people like you, who ignore we're still very early in the pandemic where it is rapidly evolving, who have deluded themselves into thinking it would be two and then never again for a virus that was destined to become endemic.

It's also funny how your claims are changing, from "This time next year, you won't be able to enter a restaurant unless you've had your seventh booster." to "four per year in perpetuity" to "four over a year' (which won't even be the case for most people.) Pretty sure by year's end you'll be foaming over vaccines being needed at all at the rate you're going.
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 335 336 337 [338] 339 340 341 342 343 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies